or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months

Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months - Page 2

post #41 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Overall, if you look beyond music, iTunes is NOT the dominant content delibery ecosystem. Nor is it the dominant content delivery ecosystem.

It absolutely is for mobile devices, especially for music and apps. Obviously there is more competition on movies and television shows.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #42 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

does this mean another funeral to attend? Will the Google funeral be better than the Microsoft one?

To paraphrase, the reports of their death are greatly exaggerated.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #43 of 149
Fire type devices are logically $99 items when compared to $200 Netbooks.

Quality non Intel $300 netbooks make the $200 Fire quite bad value.
post #44 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Apparently Google is the new Microsoft. Obviously, once again they're copying Apple, but now they're taking pages right out of the M$ playbook - "ah, but we'll have one of those in 6 months too!" (Always 6mo - 1yr away.)

+1

Somehow I don't think people will put off buying an iPad while waiting for this "high quality tablet." And yes, this is exactly how Microsoft used to kill off the competition. Some new, innovative startup would come out with a really great software product. Microsoft would then announce its me-too product. Buyers would would sit back and wait for said me-too product. The innovative startup would suffer strangulation and Bill and Company would swoop in and buy it. Voila! The me-too product would suddenly disappear and then Bill would trot out the replacement or simply "file 13" it in Microsoft's archives.

I'm sure whatever Google cones out with will indeed compete strongly with the iPad 2. Trouble is, as others have pointed out, the iPad 3 will be on the market by then. Repeat process as needed.
post #45 of 149
In other words the current lineup of android tablets are crap as cited by the number that continually make the rounds through QVC

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #46 of 149
Apple went for the jugular with initial iPad pricing and the benefit to that was seen in 2010 and 2011. Now Apple needs to keep up the pressure.
post #47 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And every developer is going to be dying to develop for Android soon.

Google suffers from verbal diarrhea.

Just you wait, in 6 months, blah blah blah.

With Android, it's always about 6 months from now, never today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmac View Post

Eric Schmidt sure likes to predict great things that will happen 6 months or more from now. That must be how long it takes most of us to forget what he said. The other way to read his latest proclamation is that every Android tablet currently on the market is a piece of crap

That's pretty much standard when you don't have anything to show for your efforts. It's called FUD.

I really love how quickly they've gone from "no one should be talking to their phones" to "we already have that" to "we'll have it in 6 months".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srice View Post

So if I were an Android partner, selling an Android tablet today, I'd be pretty pissed off that Eric just undermined the sales of my current product.

"Hi Eric, I'd like to have a one-on-one meeting with you, so I can kick you in the nuts."

Larry Page, I used to be a huge Google fan, and still am (but much less so -- because, well, ya kinda remind me of Microsoft now). I like what you've done for Google recently -- please fire your ex-CEO. He's a nightmare. I'll like you a lot better once that foob is outta there.

Agreed. With Google's purchase of Motorola and now their announcement of the Nexus tablet (assuming that it ever sees the light of day, of course), Google has made it clear that they are competing with their licensees. You can bet that there are a lot of people looking at WebOS and Windows Mobile right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Apparently Google is the new Microsoft. Obviously, once again they're copying Apple, but now they're taking pages right out of the M$ playbook - "ah, but we'll have one of those in 6 months too!" (Always 6mo - 1yr away.)

They're the new Microsoft in some ways, but not even close in other ways. For example, notice that Microsoft never released their own brand of PC. They realized that their success depended on NOT competing with their customers. Google never understood this.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #48 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

does this mean another funeral to attend? Will the Google funeral be better than the Microsoft one?

Oh no - I have been using a ZOMBIE iPHONE - if the iPhone died and was buried, how did it come back, HOW?

I don't think another funeral will help matters - how do you stop a Zombie iPhone, HOW?
post #49 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

In seeming unrelated but possibly could be related news:

British Telecom sues Google on multiple patent breaches

BT, the U.K. telecoms company, has launched legal action in the U.S. against Google (GOOG-Q622.86-3.10-0.50%) for patent infringement in a number of areas crucial to the U.S. technology groups search, maps and music services, as well as its Android phone platform.

BT claims infringement of patents in technologies behind location-based services, navigation and guidance information, as well as access to mobile services and content.

http://tinyurl.com/7clnd8k

It's just getting started.....
post #50 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I've been here since 2008. I'm no troll. Just telling it like it is. We can keep pretending, but from what I am seeing from 2007 to 2011, Android has pretty much steamrollered on Apple. We all know how Google did it by being underhanded and "evil", but it works. Schmidt should be ashamed of himself for backstabbing Mr. Jobs and Apple and staying on the board to glean as much info out of Apple for his Android platform.

Yet Apple makes over half the world's handset — not just smartphone — profit. What exactly has Google steamrolled over Apple? Google is in the hole many billions developing Android. Few of their vendors (Apple actual competition) even turn a profit. Android doesn't even have the developer support despite having superior number in OS market share.

What you're failing to realize is that Apple's goal has no barring on OS market share otherwise they would give their OS away to any and all. For this reason you cannot say Google is steamrolling Apple in a game they aren't playing the way you can't say Apple is steamrolling Google in ARM SoC design or that Acer steamrolled Apple in the netbook sales.

Here is another way you can look at it. Ask yourself if Apple would be happy in losing iOS market share if it meant increased iPhone (handset market share), revenue, and profit. Se goes for the desktop OS which is why they have a monopoly on $1000 plus machines, take over 1/3 of 'PC' profits, and even in their darkest hour never leased their platform to Dell despite the fistful of dollars they were willing to throw at Apple I get out from MS's grip.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #51 of 149
It makes no damn since for Google to do this because they will be
competing with other OEMS using the same OS. They will get thier a$$ handed to them by those cheap brand like coby.
post #52 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

If Android has "won" then why is Apple still making all the profit? Why is Apple still all anyone in the tech world talks about? Why is everything compared to Apple and its products? Why is the iPhone to top selling smartphone in the world? Why is the iPad the one to beat? Why is everything touted as an Apple "killer?" Why do devopers still prefer iOS in the face of this juggernaut called Android? Why were Android users asking Schmidt when developers would be Android first? Why, why, why?

Slappy, old buddy, old pal, you've been predicting the demise of Apple since you joined this forum. It hasn't quite worked out that way yet has it? Why?

Ouch.
post #53 of 149
You can't "me too" in this market. You have to leap-frog the competition and innovate beyond what the competitor imagined. The other part is, you have to deliver on quality, usability, and functionality. Google has not been able to do that. The Xoom was supposed to do that and was DOA.

They are 6 months out and holding pending the release of the iPad3 so they can find out how much catching up they need to do. They need to leap far ahead or just admit they will run #2. If I were to ever buy one, it would need to cost half what and iPad costs. If paying that much, I would want the real thing.

Tom
post #54 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Apple went for the jugular with initial iPad pricing and the benefit to that was seen in 2010 and 2011. Now Apple needs to keep up the pressure.

I agree. Lowering the price a bit in the next iteration will kill off these charlatans once and for all.
post #55 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's just getting started.....

Probably so. Where's there's money there's lawsuits. How else to explain Apple reportedly the most sued tech company of all?
post #56 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Highest quality? I'll take the Transformer Prime any time, thank you very much. Google need not bother for now.

Instead, Google should focus on bringing the tablet price down if they want a chance in the market. The entry level iPad is cheaper than any high-range Android tablet. Why would an unbiased user bother with Android?

Because Google is going to sell it at $99 and make up the difference on advertising and they will open Google stores across from the Apple and MSFT stores. Right?

By the way Google, How are those Chromebooks selling? Never seen one in the wild.
post #57 of 149
This whole thing just made me laugh. Great way to start off my week.
post #58 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by pridon View Post

Because Google is going to sell it at $99 and make up the difference on advertising and they will open Google stores across from the Apple and MSFT stores. Right?

By the way Google, How are those Chromebooks selling? Never seen one in the wild.

Likely miserable. One recent report pegged sales so far at 30K or so as a guess. It's a good idea probably, but released before it's time on hardware that's too expensive for what Google envisions with it.
post #59 of 149
Quote:

We can laugh all we want, but Android already owns the market. He wants to own the tablet market and will eventually get there next year. It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone. Google did a great job flanking Apple and Jobs with Android...they won before the end of 2011. Its just up and away in 2012.

That's like saying Toyota beat BMW as the market owner because they simply sold more cars... Th corolla is the best selling car of all time, but I'd rather own a German luxury car. The VAST majority of android phones out there are buy one get one free and straight up FREE phones that barely resemble a "smart" phone
post #60 of 149
What does Google know about quality? Many of their products stay in beta for years. And other companies do the hardware... you can not make promises about that over which you have no control.
post #61 of 149
Another publication (Engadget) clarifies that Mr Schmidt did not say the Google was planning to build a tablet. Instead he supposedly said in a translated reply ""in the next six months we plan to market a tablet of the highest quality."

As Engadget writes "he either means the company will be launching a "marketing" push with all of its hardware partners, or we'll be seeing Google-branded tablets like the Nexus range of phones by next Summer."

If the translation was right to begin with.
post #62 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

It absolutely is for mobile devices, especially for music and apps. Obviously there is more competition on movies and television shows.

Ergo, by your own argument, it is not "the dominant content delibery ecosystem".
post #63 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Another publication (Engadget) clarifies that Mr Schmidt did not say the Google was planning to build a tablet. Instead he supposedly said in a translated reply ""in the next six months we plan to market a tablet of the highest quality."

As Engadget writes "he either means the company will be launching a "marketing" push with all of its hardware partners, or we'll be seeing Google-branded tablets like the Nexus range of phones by next Summer."

If it's Google-branded in any way then "release" is fine even if it's more of a marketing campaign.

post #64 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"translated reply"? What language did he answer in?
post #65 of 149
(And ladies... not to offend...)

Nobody has commented on the code name for the voice system? Majel Barrett-Roddenberry... Gene Roddenberry's wife? The voice of TNG Enterprise's computer system? I am disappoint...
post #66 of 149
Quote:

We can laugh all we want, but Android already owns the market. He wants to own the tablet market and will eventually get there next year. It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone. Google did a great job flanking Apple and Jobs with Android...they won before the end of 2011. Its just up and away in 2012.

It's been a while since Android overtook the iPhone in market share. So how did that turn out?

It's funny though... HTC has recently slashed their Q4 earnings outlook... citing intense competition from the iPhone 4S. And Motorola and LG have had losses the past few quarters. Samsung is the only Android OEM that is doing remarkably well.

Google is the only company who could benefit from Android market share... and they actually make more money from ads on iOS.

So tell me... does Android really "own" the market?
post #67 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Schmidt's comments, in which he said the device will be "a tablet of the highest quality," came in an interview with Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera (via Slash Gear). The comments signal that Google plans to make another push to counter Apple's iPad.

So Schmidt clearly believes, as everyone else already knows, that the Android tablets released so far have been shit. Shocker.
post #68 of 149
A 'high quality' piece of crap tablet is still crap. Who is Google trying to fool???
post #69 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Slappy, old buddy, old pal, you've been predicting the demise of Apple since you joined this forum. It hasn't quite worked out that way yet has it? Why?

Because he forgot the "Good Luck Toast"
post #70 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

While Apple and Google are competing in tablet OS, I'm curious to see how successful Microsoft Windows 8 will be when it's launched next year. Since it will be compatible with both tablets and PCs, and assuming it works well, I'm guessing it will take back some market share from the tablet market.

I've been saying the exact same thing for months. Not like I'm hoping for it, but in comparison to Google and their motives, Microsoft looks like the better Catch-22.

Speaking of motives and shady business: has anyone ventured over to Ars to read the story about Google giving out CMS interfaces to control take-downs on YouTube?

I was also quite shocked this past weekend when I found the time to catch up on the political front, that Google was a main sponsor for the Rep. debates on Fox. (?!?)

While I'm not a conspiracist... I am just plain skeptical of Google's business model: selling ads, demographics, and personal profiles and info. That is the only way they make money. I'm also not so enthused with some of their "bed partners" either(!)

On the other hand, you have Apple (hardware and eco-system), Amazon (eco-system), and MS (licensing and eco-system) where nothing really is "free". I can even live with a "Gillette" style of marketing a product. But giving access to my identity and everything I do, everyone I know, and having the ability to track me... if there's a "you can't refuse this" offer (or demand!) on the table, of which is a "possibility" with Google's "freebies"????

"Free" in my lifetime has always meant there were strings attached. What strings are gonna be "pulled", or even scarier, which ones "connected" to dubious business (political?) entities next?

I'd rather pay my fair share now, thank you. Something I still feel is still at the top of Apple's list: privacy. (Please don't some fool bring that sad argument about the tracking scandal last year!! )

If "events" start to happen, like massive unrest in the summer due to the finance industry caving in, or shortly before and during the conventions in Ami-Land... which many people think is inevitable... those "free" phones the tech-nerds are all carrying, makes them an easy target to say the least. A target for what I'm not going to conjecture, but a company that "must" sell things and keep their "business alliances" happy... is not going to be a friend to the masses.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #71 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

It's funny though... HTC has recently slashed their Q4 earnings outlook... citing intense competition from the iPhone 4S. And Motorola and LG have had losses the past few quarters. Samsung is the only Android OEM that is doing remarkably well.

Zaky is forecasting an increase of 84% for the quarter mostly on iPhone sales.

post #72 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

You can't "me too" in this market. You have to leap-frog the competition and innovate beyond what the competitor imagined. The other part is, you have to deliver on quality, usability, and functionality. Google has not been able to do that. The Xoom was supposed to do that and was DOA.

They are 6 months out and holding pending the release of the iPad3 so they can find out how much catching up they need to do. They need to leap far ahead or just admit they will run #2. If I were to ever buy one, it would need to cost half what and iPad costs. If paying that much, I would want the real thing.

Tom

Their real competitor is Kindle Fire who has crossed to the "Dark Side". Imagine their state when they copied someone else and then suddenly another company comes along takes their source rips it apart and builds an ecosystem around it. Goof-le keep the open thing going so that Amazon can make profit's out of it some day
post #73 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

So is the reverse inference that none of the current Android tablets are of the highest quality?

No. Logic does not dictate that conclusion.
post #74 of 149
Quote:

"translated reply"? What language did he answer in?

I'm guessing in English, translated to Italian by the reporter for publication in Italy. It was then re-translated by someone other than the original reporter back to English for the basis of the article here.

Convoluted, I know.
post #75 of 149
Quote:

Ergo, by your own argument, it is not "the dominant content delibery ecosystem".

If you want to play games and argue over semantics, go ahead. I clarified my meaning. If that's not good enough for you, have at it, champ.
post #76 of 149
"Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months"

So that means they're going to start manufacturing iPads?
post #77 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post

Because he forgot the "Good Luck Toast"

Oh its that what I forgot to do? lol
post #78 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Samsung is the only Android OEM that is doing remarkably well.

"Remarkably well"? How so?

Funny that they never release their actual sales (not 'shipped', not 'gross sales', not 'activations' etc etc) numbers.
post #79 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmac View Post

The other way to read his latest proclamation is that every Android tablet currently on the market is a piece of crap

Partial Quote:

That was my immediate take too.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #80 of 149
Quote:

Define "winning?" As I have said on many occasions, at the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is profits and Apple has won that battle hands down.

And secondly, what's your basis for saying that he will own the tablet market?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months