or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months

Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months - Page 3

post #81 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If it's Google-branded in any way then "release" is fine even if it's more of a marketing campaign.

I'd be pretty surprised if it's Google branded. The Nexus Prime that was just released isn't, generally identified as a Samsung, tho Verizon had to put their name on the big red release.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #82 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'd be pretty surprised if it's Google branded. The Nexus Prime that was just released isn't, generally identified as a Samsung, tho Verizon had to put their name on the big red release.

Sometimes they only brand them in marketing campaigns but the actual HW is different.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #83 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post

Their real competitor is Kindle Fire who has crossed to the "Dark Side". Imagine their state when they copied someone else and then suddenly another company comes along takes their source rips it apart and builds an ecosystem around it. Goof-le keep the open thing going so that Amazon can make profit's out of it some day

...And the Fire will only get better. Amazon seems to do things well when it does and is feeding into an existing customer base to allow them to keep doing what they were doing plus a bunch more. Will be interesting to see where it goes? It for sure wasn't DOA like so many other tablets that hit the market.

Tom
post #84 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

On the other hand, you have Apple (hardware and eco-system), Amazon (eco-system), and MS (licensing and eco-system) where nothing really is "free". I can even live with a "Gillette" style of marketing a product. But giving access to my identity and everything I do, everyone I know, and having the ability to track me... if there's a "you can't refuse this" offer (or demand!) on the table, of which is a "possibility" with Google's "freebies"????

"Free" in my lifetime has always meant there were strings attached. What strings are gonna be "pulled", or even scarier, which ones "connected" to dubious business (political?) entities next?

I'd rather pay my fair share now, thank you. Something I still feel is still at the top of Apple's list: privacy. (Please don't some fool bring that sad argument about the tracking scandal last year!! ):

Don't fool yourself that Apple's not attaching strings either. How else would you explain that opting out of Apple location/tracking services doesn't opt you out of iAd tracking? That takes a special visit to a somewhat obscure and not well known Apple opt-out page doesn't it? Apple really, really wants to know where you are too, and what you're up to.

Unlike Google they're not as obvious about it.
post #85 of 149
Quote:

Don't fool yourself that Apple's not attaching strings either. How else would you explain that opting out of Apple location/tracking services doesn't opt you out of iAd tracking? That takes a special visit to a somewhat obscure and not well known Apple opt-out page doesn't it? Apple really, really wants to know where you are too, and what you're up to.

Unlike Google they're not as obvious about it.

It's pretty damn simple and they show you them all in the same place: Settings » Location Services » System Services.

post #86 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's pretty damn simple and they show you them all in the same place: Settings » Location Services » System Services.

Thanks for that Solipsism. When iAds was first announced last year, that was one of the complaints noted. It wasn't at all clear for some on how to opt-out. You used to have to visit this link, http://oo.apple.com , to opt out didn't you?

Community input helps sort these things out.

If you opt-out of iAds, does it automatically affect your other location services?
post #87 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I've been here since 2008. I'm no troll. Just telling it like it is. We can keep pretending, but from what I am seeing from 2007 to 2011, Android has pretty much steamrollered on Apple.

It's easy to "sell" product when you give it away. A lot of Android installations are freebie phones. I wonder how many they would sell if the price were higher?
post #88 of 149
Quote:

We can laugh all we want, but Android already owns the market. He wants to own the tablet market and will eventually get there next year. It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone. Google did a great job flanking Apple and Jobs with Android...they won before the end of 2011. Its just up and away in 2012.

Android might have a higher market share in phones, but tablets are completely on a different page. Android simply is not meant for a tablet, and at its current development, never will be. Many have tried and failed. Others, like Google, that don't learn from their mistakes, will fail miserably as well. All you have to do is go in and use one. It feels unfinished due to the limitations of the platform. If you don't know this, then you haven't spent much time physically comparing the two OS's. iOS is about as 'finished' as it gets in terms of the fluidity. Android is erratic, unreliable, and unresponsive. Not to mention, there are so many variations, its a nightmare for developers, and the infrastructure is no where near that of the iPad/iPhone. The latest Sony iteration is a disaster.

And in case you haven't noticed, the consumer has spoken. Currently, if you want the full tablet experience, you get an iPad. If you want a diluted, watered down experience on the cheap, you get an Amazon Fire. There is no room for the 'me toos' of the world, and this Google tablet will fall into the pile of failures as well.

You don't see lines outside of Best Buy waiting for an Android tablet.
post #89 of 149
Quote:

I've been here since 2008. I'm no troll. Just telling it like it is. We can keep pretending, but from what I am seeing from 2007 to 2011, Android has pretty much steamrollered on Apple. We all know how Google did it by being underhanded and "evil", but it works. Schmidt should be ashamed of himself for backstabbing Mr. Jobs and Apple and staying on the board to glean as much info out of Apple for his Android platform.

Iv read you're post. You're a complete troll
post #90 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmac View Post

As I expected, the Kindle Fire seems to be just crushing the Android tablets at Apple's price point, while the iPad itself continues to sell briskly. So the choice is clear: if you want a cheap tablet, get a Fire. If you want a nice tablet, get an iPad. There is no room for the also-rans, and this explains why so many PC makers have "decided" to exit the tablet market space. But it's not so much that they "decided" as it is that the consumer decided for them.

I disagree. The Nook Tablet is also selling, as are the Samsung tablets. Asus is moving product, and is on the cusp of (maybe) making a splash with the Transformer Prime.

This market is still a crawling infant.
post #91 of 149
The more the merrier.
post #92 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

Define "winning?" As I have said on many occasions, at the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is profits and Apple has won that battle hands down.

And secondly, what's your basis for saying that he will own the tablet market?

The same reason Google/Android won the smartphone market. We can play the profit game for a limited time. It's inevitable that buyers will switch to Android since its as good as iOS. Its already happening. It's really just Windows vs Mac all over again. Same results in the long run. It's okay to accept the loss. Hopefully Apple can win defending their ip or move on for another revenue stream.
post #93 of 149
Quote:

We can play the [lack of] profit game for a limited time.

Going for marketshare over profits is the game that has a time limit. Just ask Acer how their netbooks are doing.

edit: Frack! Just responded to another troll.

post #94 of 149
Google should patent "vaporware".
post #95 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

They must be planning to license iOS, nice.

Since there's no chance of Apple licensing it, Google would just have to go out and steal it. That would be something new ... or would it?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #96 of 149
Poor Eric, he had all this clout on the Google board after getting them an inside track on copying Apple's iPhone, but now that he no longer has that inside track he's been reduced to hype and grandstanding. Having to hype up what Google is doing 6 months from now instead of just doing it, makes him and Google look more desperate than they should.
post #97 of 149
:-)))
post #98 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Even if Google releases a tablet that is not only on par with the iPad in 6 months but BETTER....they are going to face some serious obstacles:
  • Apple is totally dominant in marketshare.
  • Apple has the dominant content delibery ecosystem (iTunes).
  • In 6 months, Apple will be shipping iPad 3's with Retina displays, better cameras, faster processors, much better graphics and who knows what else.
  • The iPad is a household name now. It's going to be even more so in 6 months. Gaining momentum when Apple's iPad will be in an even stronger position? Good luck.
  • There is no "tablet market"--there is a market for iPads and Kindles. People don't say "I want a tablet, let me choose which one is best for me." They say "I want an iPad...or maybe I don't need that much, so I'll go with a Kindle Fire instead."
  • Android continues to suffer from bad fragmentation in phones. This can't be good for their tablets, which in many cases run different OS's than those phones. Apple doesn't have this problem with iOS, the iPad and iPhone.

Microsoft was a dominating search giant. Until Google came along

Google has a tendency to turn status quo upside down.

It's only a matter of time before they start doing the same with tablets.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #99 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Every Android tablet so far has failed miserably and sucked.

Reality disagrees with you.
post #100 of 149
So they will have an iPad 2 killer when everybody is out buying iPad 3s. Good Jorb there homestar.
post #101 of 149
Quote:

Thanks for that Solipsism. When iAds was first announced last year, that was one of the complaints noted. It wasn't at all clear for some on how to opt-out. You used to have to visit this link, http://oo.apple.com , to opt out didn't you?

Community input helps sort these things out.

If you opt-out of iAds, does it automatically affect your other location services?

Stop the sucking up (as a mask for your ignorance).

Or, at least take the trouble to develop a bit of subtlety. Your question could be answered by a 10-year old if (s)he took the trouble.
post #102 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Every Android tablet so far has failed miserably and sucked.

Reality disagrees with you.

Many of these folks don't understand that there's a world out there that's somewhat more real than mom's basement.
post #103 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Stop the sucking up (as a mask for your ignorance).

Or, at least take the trouble to develop a bit of subtlety. Your question could be answered by a 10-year old if (s)he took the trouble.

So apparently I'm waiting on an answer from a 10-year old? I never realized that asking questions was in reality a "mask for ignorance".
post #104 of 149
Quote:

We can laugh all we want, but Android already owns the market. He wants to own the tablet market and will eventually get there next year. It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone. Google did a great job flanking Apple and Jobs with Android...they won before the end of 2011. Its just up and away in 2012.

ROFLOL - "It's gotten to the point where the differences between Android and iOS is nearly gone." Only a complete fool would think this. They aren't even in the same ballpark when you factor quality, the total ecosystem, fragmentation on Android's part, various manufacturers UI failures, OS update cluster FK, incompatible hardware with current OS versions, resale value, lack of viable revenue model for developers, etc. etc. etc. It's not just the OS, its the whole hardware, software, ecosystem combination - consumers are being duped every minute but will soon start waking up to their bad decisions.
post #105 of 149
Quote:

So apparently I'm waiting on an answer from a 10-year old? I never realized that asking questions was in reality a "mask for ignorance".

Oh, instead of asking a 10-year old, you could also google it (or something like that).
post #106 of 149
Quote:

Oh, instead of asking a 10-year old, you could also google it (or something like that).

I tried that before asking the question and couldn't find a clear answer. I assumed one of you here knew right off the top of their head.
post #107 of 149
Quote:

I tried that before asking the question and couldn't find a clear answer. I assumed one of you here knew right off the top of their head.

The trouble with guys like you -- and there's about half a dozen of you, and we all know who you are -- is that you lie through your teeth all the time. Laziness combined with a tendency to make sweeping generalizations based on semi-informed facts seems to be your trademark.

For instance, you blandly say you "tried that before asking the question." Guess what? I cut and pasted your question verbatim "If you opt-out of iAds, does it automatically affect your other location services?" on to the Google search field. And, wouldn't you know.... http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Read.

Ugh.
post #108 of 149
Quote:

The trouble with guys like you -- and there's about half a dozen of you, and we all know who you are -- is that you lie through your teeth all the time. Laziness combined with a tendency to make sweeping generalizations based on semi-informed facts seems to be your trademark.

For instance, you blandly say you "tried that before asking the question." Guess what? I cut and pasted your question verbatim "If you opt-out of iAds, does it automatically affect your other location services?" on to the Google search field. And, wouldn't you know.... http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Read.

Ugh.

And read I have. The first link points here, while the second goes to Apple. the third goes to a discussion of opting out location services in Safari. None of those provide an answer, nor do numbers 4, 5 or 6, leading to various other discussions at tech blogs.

No, "the problem" is some here think so much of themselves they can't be bothered with answering what was probably a very easy question.

I have no idea why you chose to be a smart-aleck as I've to now remained respectful, but it's a more effective ploy when you actually take the time to see if your links answer the question. I don't think I've ever looked down my nose at anyone who's asked me a question where I know the answer, and told them to go find it themselves.

If you opt-out of iAds, does it affect any of your other location services? And a new question related to that, does it affect any other functions or features unrelated to advertising.
post #109 of 149
Quote:

And read I have. The first link points here, while the second goes to Apple. the third goes to a discussion of opting out location services in Safari. None of those provide an answer, nor do numbers 4, 5 or 6, leading to various other discussions at tech blogs.

No, "the problem" is some here think so much of themselves they can't be bothered with answering what was probably a very easy question.

I have no idea why you chose to be a smart-aleck as I've to now remained respectful, but it's a more effective ploy when you actually take the time to see if your links answer the question. I don't think I've ever looked down my nose at anyone who's asked me a question where I know the answer, and told them to go find it themselves.

If you opt-out of iAds, does it affect any of your other location services? And a new question related to that, does it affect any other functions or features unrelated to advertising.

1) Keep reading.

2) Better yet, why don't you try it out on your iPhone? Wait....
post #110 of 149
Quote:

1) Keep reading.

2) Better yet, why don't you try it out on your iPhone? Wait....

Correct. I don't have an iPhone. If I did I could check it myself. Thank you too for realizing the answer wasn't there in your links.
post #111 of 149
What about the tablets they have out now? Did Schmidt just admit they are not of the highest quality?
post #112 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Apple went for the jugular with initial iPad pricing and the benefit to that was seen in 2010 and 2011. Now Apple needs to keep up the pressure.

They will. By again doing nothing different. That's the thing that has the other boys freaking out. Apple releases an iPhone and sells 10 Million in the opening weekend. Then a year later they tweak it a little, add a new dumb trick in the OS and sell 15 Million opening weekend.

Meanwhile, Google etc tries the same baby tweak and their sales drop. They completely overhaul things and their sales drop. It's mind boggling

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #113 of 149
Quote:

Why? They would have to start giving them away. Like they do with their phones but, people that do not want to pay for yet another telecom internet connection are not going to get the tablet for free. They will have to pay full price. That's a whole other story & whole other customer base.

How exactly have they done that. Just about everything they do is a knock off. Their mobile OS is built for the TELCOs who are the definition of the status quo. I said this before but I'll say it again:
No Platform building experience
No UI experience
No Hardware experience
No customer support/relations experience
No retail experience
No real consumer sales experience
It could happen but not overnight & Apple isn't standing still. Apple started out with building a mobile platform in mind while Google was making a phone. Now Google wants to build an Apple-like tablet. Why didn't they build either of those devices first? They needed to be shown by someone else how it is done. Someone else has done the heavy lifting, someone else had the vision. What is it about Google's platform that is visionary? Copy someone else's vision & tack on a few extras. I don't see anything that isn't status quo here.
post #114 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaren View Post

(And ladies... not to offend...)

Nobody has commented on the code name for the voice system? Majel Barrett-Roddenberry... Gene Roddenberry's wife? The voice of TNG Enterprise's computer system? I am disappoint...

Been there, done that. Check the older threads.
post #115 of 149
Quote:

It's inevitable that buyers will switch to Android since its as good as iOS. Its already happening.

OK, I'll bite, knowing I shouldn't actually - so people are exchanging iPhones for Android phones? Any links? Any evidence? Or are you just the kind of troll that says "I am not a troll"? You know, the "concerned" troll?
post #116 of 149
Steve's Reality Distortion Field is working in reverse.
Rather than getting others to believe they can accomplish something, it makes the user (in this case Schmidt) beliieve something can get done, when in reality, he is foolling himself (and no one else).

Why not just spend the time and money, keep your pie hole shut and do the job, then announce it when it is actually ready?
Then in 6 months when you realize you have tossed +$25 million down the toilet, you won't look like as much of an ass.
post #117 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Steve's Reality Distortion Field is working in reverse.
Rather than getting others to believe they can accomplish something, it makes the user (in this case Schmidt) beliieve something can get done, when in reality, he is foolling himself (and no one else).

Why not just spend the time and money, keep your pie hole shut and do the job, then announce it when it is actually ready?
Then in 6 months when you realize you have tossed +$25 million down the toilet, you won't look like as much of an ass.

I really don't think Schmidt believes the stuff he says. I think he just knows that their user base don't understand how technology works. If you're 15yo 6 months would seem like a long time.

post #118 of 149
Quote:

The same reason Google/Android won the smartphone market. We can play the profit game for a limited time. It's inevitable that buyers will switch to Android since its as good as iOS. Its already happening. It's really just Windows vs Mac all over again. Same results in the long run. It's okay to accept the loss. Hopefully Apple can win defending their ip or move on for another revenue stream.

You still haven't defined "winning" yet.

As for tablets, I would think twice before betting against Apple. With smartphones, Apple was not number one. With tablets, Apple is number one. Google/Android faces an uphill battle to beat Apple. Apple is already on their third iteration of their tablet. Each iteration has been a resounding success. No Android manufacturer can say the same.
post #119 of 149
Quote:

Microsoft was a "dominating search giant" until Google came along. This doesn't even qualify for bullshit.
post #120 of 149
Quote:

I think you will discover that many Android users, especially in business won't renew their contract with an Android device. We have had many customers go to iPhone and blackberry after having a less than stellar experience with Android.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google promises to release 'tablet of the highest quality' in 6 months