or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T drops bid to acquire T-Mobile

AT&T drops bid to acquire T-Mobile - Page 2

post #41 of 45
Everything I have read pretty much stated that DT was the company that still wants to unload T-Mobile, and get out of the US cellular business, so they could concentrate on their European network. I have a feeling that since they couldn't sell it all at once, they will start selling it piece by piece. They wanted to pay down their debt by 31%, buy back 5 billion eur of their stock, and start receiving the dividends from the 8% stake they would have had in AT&T as part of that deal (figures are from DT press release announcing the merger). I don't think T-Mobile will be around in 2 years at all. I guess time will tell.
post #42 of 45
What loses? They'll be getting a $4 Billion check from AT&T for their time and trouble. I'd say that some people will be getting a bonus.

However as an AT&T customer, I suspect I am going to see a rate increase in my future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

T-Mobile will start auctioning off its spectrum to cover it's losses.
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Good news. The US needs more carriers not less.

More like WOW -- finally a large corporation not getting its way.

Seems like this is happening in some long-ago, civilized nation,.. it must be a ruse and AT&T will acquire Vonage.
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

T-Mobile IS NOT a money losing business unit. That's just smoke and mirrors. Don't ever believe anything corporation says. Profits are down but they are not in the red. Their quarterly reports say so on their own site

So true.

I think EVERYONE needs to realize that, at least with a multinational corporation -- they can run showing losses FOREVER.

GM and GE showed hardship to rid themselves of union contracts. But one set of books goes to the IRS and one to Wall Street.

All they have to do is pay more for some widget coming from a subsidiary and then reap the profits in a tax free area -- and of course, keep money in an offshore account.

The richest people in the world probably don't OWN ANYTHING and aren't on the Forbes 500. The system works for them -- not the other way around.
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsun Zu View Post

Bloomberg is a much more reliable source than Engadget for financial matters.

Probably. Definitely not in other news; Bloomberg claiming prematurely Steve died. Me, I stay away from Bloomberg.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T drops bid to acquire T-Mobile