or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sues Samsung over patented iPad, iPhone case designs

Apple sues Samsung over patented iPad, iPhone case designs

post #1 of 92
The legal battle between Samsung and Apple continues to grow, as Apple has filed a new lawsuit against Samsung accusing the company of violating patents related to tablet and smartphone case designs [updated with clarification from Samsung].

Update: Samsung contacted AppleInsider with a statement clarifying that Apple's new claims are related to the external appearance of the devices, rather than the accessories as originally reported.

"We would like to clarify that the additional claims filed by Apple in Australia do not relate to protective case accessories, as has been indicated in some media reports. In fact, the intellectual property asserted are patents related to the utility of mobile devices and design rights related to the external appearance of devices," the company's statement read.

Apple has notified Samsung of the alleged infringement, and will file a statement of claim with an Australian court, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday. Apple believes that Samsung's cases for tablets and phones violate "at least" 10 patents the company owns.

The latest accusations of patent infringement were revealed in a hearing held before Federal Court Justice Annabelle Bennett. Apple hopes to delay a trial scheduled to begin in March, in which Samsung hopes to prove that the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPad 2 infringe on patents related to 3G data connections.

Apple believes Samsung's official case for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 infringes on its patented designs. The iPhone maker has also asserted that Samsung's cases designed for its smartphones are infringing.

Sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 were initially blocked in Australia as a court looked into Apple's claims of infringement with the touchscreen tablet. But the device was eventually approved for sale in Australia earlier this month.

The mounting lawsuits between Samsung and Apple span across four continents, and there are more than 30 lawsuits filed against one another. Apple fired first in the courtroom, suing Samsung in April for allegedly copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad.

But the latest twist in the showdown between the two companies is the first time that Apple has accused Samsung of copying cases for the iPhone and iPad, rather than the devices themselves.

Last week, Samsung sued Apple over four new patents in Germany, including one invention related to text input for a "smiley" icon, created by typing ":-)" on a device. Samsung has also attempted to use Apple's lawsuits against it, and has started marketing the Galaxy Tab 10.1 as "the tablet Apple tried to stop."
post #2 of 92
Their "Smart Case" tablet cover is a blatant ripoff of Apple's design. They should be ashamed of themselves. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...ther-familiar/
post #3 of 92
Isn't she the same judge whose flawed injunction against Samsung was overturned recently?
post #4 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Their "Smart Case" tablet cover is a blatant ripoff of Apple's design. They should be ashamed of themselves. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...ther-familiar/

To be fair, that case you're pointing to is a third party case and not an official Samsung case. The Samsung case isn't such a blatant ripoff. In fact, it's not obvious what patents the case might infringe (but I haven't looked at Apple's case patents so I can't say one way or the other).
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/gal...EFC-1B1NBEGSTA
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #5 of 92
Quote:

In before the people claiming Apple stole it from Incase.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #6 of 92
Quote:

you are talking about Anymode, not Samsung, right?
post #7 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In before the people claiming Apple stole it from Incase.

don't tell that.. most apple fans don't want to hear that..

go apple! Apple #1.
post #8 of 92
Neither company invented the tablet but it seems, in light of these lawsuits, that they were the originators of the tablet. Just let it go already.
post #9 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Isn't she the same judge whose flawed injunction against Samsung was overturned recently?

A fact that doesn't equal Samsung winning the final case or this one.
post #10 of 92
I'm sick of these lawsuits. These two need to settle soon. All this does is distract from innovation. If Samsung or Apple are found in violation then they need to cross-license or change their designs.
post #11 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

To be fair, that case you're pointing to is a third party case and not an official Samsung case. The Samsung case isn't such a blatant ripoff. In fact, it's not obvious what patents the case might infringe (but I haven't looked at Apple's case patents so I can't say one way or the other).
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/gal...EFC-1B1NBEGSTA

Isn't the CEO of anymode, the nephew to the Chairman of Samesung? I'm sure Samesung had no hand in aiding Anymode to copy the Smart Cover and call it the "smart case". Samesung has absolutely no shame in ripping off Apple.
post #12 of 92
Long term, this may end up being great for Korea. Korea has always had a "copy society" .. someone needs to push them into the deep side of the pool and get them to swim for themselves.

If they don't swim for themselves, eventually a bigger, badder copier (*cough* China *cough*), will drive their margins into the ground and they'll have a big problem.

I'm all for Apple forcing this issue and trying to "fix Korea".
post #13 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The legal battle between Samsung and Apple continues to grow, as Apple has filed a new lawsuit against Samsung accusing the company of violating patents related to tablet and smartphone case designs.

Apple has notified Samsung of the alleged infringement, and will file a statement of claim with an Australian court, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday. Apple believes that Samsung's cases for tables and phones violate "at least" 10 patents the company owns.

Lame. Lame. Lame. Apple. Lame.

A case design? Ten patents? Grasping at straws?

Apple is treating the courts like its own private playground, where it can sit and shoot annoying spitballs at the other kids - who are all big meanies and copycats.
post #14 of 92
In order for the case to attach it uses magnets and the tablet has to have certain spots for the magnets to attach. So the Samsung tablet must had been designed with the ability to allow for a 'smart cover" to attach. This feature was patented by Apple. I don't know if the Samsung tablet will turn on/off by the smart cover as well, but I am guessing that Apple patented this feature as well.
post #15 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'm sick of these lawsuits. These two need to settle soon. All this does is distract from innovation. If Samsung or Apple are found in violation then they need to cross-license or change their designs.

Are you saying that Apple should spend less time cooking up lawsuits, and more time, y'know, like, innovating?
post #16 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Isn't the CEO of anymode, the nephew to the Chairman of Samesung? I'm sure Samesung had no hand in aiding Anymode to copy the Smart Cover and call it the "smart case". Samesung has absolutely no shame in ripping off Apple.

imo Apple is the biggest fool has it continues to buy components from Samsung...
post #17 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Samesung has absolutely no shame in ripping off Apple.

OTOH, Apple has always been shameless about stealing great ideas.
post #18 of 92
Quote:

Jobs said he welcomes competition. But he said competitors must innovate by themselves. At the end of these lawsuits, I think Apple's goal is so consumers can easily differentiate Apple products from the competitors.
post #19 of 92
Enough with the frivolous lawsuits Apple, Samsung. We'd rather you spend your resources on product development than petty bickering.
post #20 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Enough with the frivolous lawsuits Apple, Samsung. We'd rather you spend your resources on product development than petty bickering.

Agreed.
post #21 of 92
I thought the smart cover design was based off of the 3rd party iPad 1 case.

Apple likely has patents on the attachments (rightfully) but the case design isn't theirs.
post #22 of 92
Quote:

Which is what the lawsuits are all about
post #23 of 92
All of the people whining about lawsuits have no clue.

Apple should keep up with the lawsuits, and they should sue anybody who is found to have been infringing upon their patents.
post #24 of 92
Quote:

There's actually nothing "frivolous" about the lawsuits. Apple believes Samsung is stealing their intellectual property, and I agree. Kudos to Apple for bringing this egregious problem into the limelight.
post #25 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Apple likely has patents on the attachments (rightfully) but the case design isn't theirs.

If what you said is true why did the 3rd party iPad 1 case not available from iPad 2?
post #26 of 92
Quote:

Depends on what Apple did. If they bought the patent or not. There also could be specific differences between the original and the smart cover that allow for Apple to hold a patent on said design. Remember these are lawyers making these rules whatever it takes to get that million dollar retainer.
post #27 of 92
IMO, infringing on patents is hardly petty.
Then again, we all know these lawsuits is an indirect attack at Android, not Samsung.

Quote:

post #28 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Then again, we all know these lawsuits is an indirect attack at Android, not Samsung.

No, not in the slightest. Any hardware lawsuits, like this one and the many others, are directed at Samsung. Anything software-related, like the HTC lawsuits, ARE proxies because Apple's either terrified of suing Google directly or they feel that a lawsuit of that magnitude would take more than a decade to resolve (like the original one. You know the one).

post #29 of 92
It figures: the case is also a thin rectangle with rounded corners.
post #30 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

You'll want to knock that off.

post #31 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Another fandroid stating the iphone and ipad are obvious designs and aren't special. It's just funny how these "obvious" design cues came after the iPhone and iPad are released.

As for the cover, I'm pretty sure it's not the shape of the cover that is patented.
post #32 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srice View Post

Long term, this may end up being great for Korea. Korea has always had a "copy society" .. someone needs to push them into the deep side of the pool and get them to swim for themselves.

If they don't swim for themselves, eventually a bigger, badder copier (*cough* China *cough*), will drive their margins into the ground and they'll have a big problem.

I'm all for Apple forcing this issue and trying to "fix Korea".

That is the truth, but I think the Asian market in general is all copy/ ripoff. Take a look here at this photo I took on a train into Seoul last year.
Look closely and see. Pretty amazing that the North Face company hasn't gotten wind of it.

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
post #33 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

That is the truth, but I think the Asian market in general is all copy/ ripoff. Take a look here at this photo I took on a train into Seoul last year.

Look closely and see. Pretty amazing that the North Face company hasn't gotten wind of it.

We can't look closely because the website on which that's hosted requires a password Could you rehost it on Imgur or make it smaller or something?

post #34 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

All of the people whining about lawsuits have no clue.

Apple should keep up with the lawsuits, and they should sue anybody who is found to have been infringing upon their patents.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, the patent system is currently almost completely irrelevant. It's really the opposite of the "overbearing" or "interfering" or "unfair" system that most people seem to portray it as in the comments. It doesn't interfere with innovation even when it works, but mostly it doesn't even work anymore.

Apple's experience is very illustrative here.

I mean they really *did* invent all this stuff, they really *were* first with all this technology and yet even though they patented it like crazy and are spending hundreds of millions in lawsuits around the planet, they are still losing out to their competitors (and "the copyist"), in terms of infringement issues.

If that's not the biggest indicator of how completely toothless the patent system currently is I don't know what is.
post #35 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We can't look closely because the website on which that's hosted requires a password Could you rehost it on Imgur or make it smaller or something?

It should be fixed now.
post #36 of 92
Quote:

No. This is just one of the many popular misconceptions floating around because idiots basically rule on teh Internets.

All of these arguments about design issues and patents are the same. A lot of fools with no knowledge of the law or design or technology see something that looks kinda the same and scream "copy!" without really knowing what constitutes a copy, how closely it has to be copied, what the difference between a design patent and a hardware patent is, the difference between copyright and trademark, etc. etc. etc.

There was a fold up case for iPad one (not magnetic), that was similar to the design for the iPad cover. "Similar" is not the same as "copy" however, and the main features of the iPad case that make it unique were not present in that design. There is actually a magnetic bathtub cover sold in Japan that is far more similar but again ... only "similar" not a "copy."
post #37 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

That is truly shameless.
post #38 of 92
][ fans = chopper mom sticking up for her b@stard John Galt, who himself copied in order to get a C-.
post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Agreed.

Unfortunately, the patent system is currently almost completely irrelevant. It's really the opposite of the "overbearing" or "interfering" or "unfair" system that most people seem to portray it as in the comments. It doesn't interfere with innovation even when it works, but mostly it doesn't even work anymore.

Apple's experience is very illustrative here.

I mean they really *did* invent all this stuff, they really *were* first with all this technology and yet even though they patented it like crazy and are spending hundreds of millions in lawsuits around the planet, they are still losing out to their competitors (and "the copyist"), in terms of infringement issues.

If that's not the biggest indicator of how completely toothless the patent system currently is I don't know what is.

Err...you are serious? They invented tablets? Smartphones? Mobile MP3 players? What exactly are you saying they 'were' first to invent???
post #40 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermonkey View Post

Err...you are serious? They invented tablets? Smartphones? Mobile MP3 players? What exactly are you saying they 'were' first to invent???

Do you know Apple has been named the most innovative company in the world for many years? How does it do that? Have Google been able to do that?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sues Samsung over patented iPad, iPhone case designs