or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sues Samsung over patented iPad, iPhone case designs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sues Samsung over patented iPad, iPhone case designs - Page 2

post #41 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srice View Post

Long term, this may end up being great for Korea. Korea has always had a "copy society" .. someone needs to push them into the deep side of the pool and get them to swim for themselves.

...

I'm all for Apple forcing this issue and trying to "fix Korea".

That would be why worldwide, Samsung are second only to IBM for patents granted, with Apple way behind.

You are jingoistic and arrogant.
post #42 of 92
I'm still really surprised that so many people are siding with Samsung with these legal matters. Excuses I've heard range from "Oh Apple! Stop suing everyone! Nobody's suing you!" (which is a bunch of bullpucky because they're constantly getting sued by Motorola, HTC, and Samsung) to "Jeeze Apple, you already have more money than God! Do you really need to bankrupt another company?!?" (AKA, "Just let them copy your intellectual property! Share the wealth!")

Here's the fact of the matter: all of these companies would kill to be in Apple's shoes. They want to control the market, and be on the top of everybody's Christmas wishlist. They aren't working with the goal of being second or third best.
post #43 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'm sick of these lawsuits. These two need to settle soon. All this does is distract from innovation. If Samsung or Apple are found in violation then they need to cross-license or change their designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Enough with the frivolous lawsuits Apple, Samsung. We'd rather you spend your resources on product development than petty bickering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Agreed.

Nonsense. If Apple's IP has been ripped off, they should go after them relentlessly, for all they've got.
post #44 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Do you know Apple has been named the most innovative company in the world for many years? How does it do that? Have Google been able to do that?

Apple's real innovation is how the user interacts with a device and how well the device responds. They polished what already existed hardware wise but the but the OS is what really makes the device stand out from the pack.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #45 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

That would be why worldwide, Samsung are second only to IBM for patents granted, with Apple way behind.

1) Number of patents means nothing necessarily about innovative abilities.

2) Which of the 35 or so different "Samsung" companies are you talking about as being second? (They are in just about every conceivable business, from shipbuilding to petrochemicals to hotels to chips to telecom and everything in-between.) All of them? Just the telecom piece?
post #46 of 92
Sorry to the trigger happy Apple lawyers, but its been confirmed already that the case isnt even made by Samsung itself.

It's made by a third party maker.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Apple's real innovation is how the user interacts with a device and how well the device responds. They polished what already existed hardware wise but the but the OS is what really makes the device stand out from the pack.

Exactly. Apple didn't invent the mouse, neither did Xerox, but Apple took the existing design, made it better and incorporated it into the first home pc. It's been a household staple ever since. Appledidn't invent the usb port, but it made it a household name. Apple didn't invent the mp3 player, tablet or phone, but it innovated the existing idea into something that everyone wanted and every company wanted to copy. Now we are seeing the exact same thing happen in the ultrabook's. Everyone is copying Apple's design, some more than others *cough* Asus *cough*.

And it is the way that Apple builds the existing products at people actually want that gets patented. Samesung is mearly one of many southeast Asian companies that are attempting to steel what they can off of Apple and then hopefully play the legal game to their benefit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Samesung will come out with their newly designed tablet exactly 3 months after Apple shows off the iPad 3. They learned their lesson after the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 and iPad 2 fiasco. Samesung went back to the drawing board after seeing the iPad 2 and low and behold the orginal 10.1 got dumped.
post #48 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Sorry to the trigger happy Apple lawyers, but its been confirmed already that the case isnt even made by Samsung itself.

It's made by a third party maker.

Sure about that?
post #49 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Sorry to the trigger happy Apple lawyers, but its been confirmed already that the case isnt even made by Samsung itself.

It's made by a third party maker.

Which case are you referring to?

The case that looks exactly like Apple's Smart Cover is made by a third party, but Samsun has an official Galaxy Tab case. How do you know that Apple isn't suing over Samsung's case?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) Number of patents means nothing necessarily about innovative abilities.

2) Which of the 35 or so different "Samsung" companies are you talking about as being second? (They are in just about every conceivable business, from shipbuilding to petrochemicals to hotels to chips to telecom and everything in-between.) All of them? Just the telecom piece?

Patents are new ideas or thoughts that are economically valuable enough to warrant legal protection.

Therefore, the more numbers of patents you have, the more valuable assets (intangible).

Your need to first define what "innovative" means. A new production process where yields are increased by 10 folds can be deemed "innovative" if your definition is anything that uses ingenuity and new thinking to conquer current problems in new way.

Samsung Electronics holds the most patents amongst all the subsidiary under the Samsung Group. Therefore, it could be safe to assume that the #2 position goes to that company.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #51 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Which case are you referring to?

The case that looks exactly like Apple's Smart Cover is made by a third party, but Samsun has an official Galaxy Tab case. How do you know that Apple isn't suing over Samsung's case?

Because that is what AI's picture reference points to.

AI is ALWAYS correct.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Patents are new ideas or thoughts that are economically valuable enough to warrant legal protection.

Therefore, the more numbers of patents you have, the more valuable assets (intangible).

Umm... I was referring to considerable research that had examined the links between patent quality and innovative ability, and concludes that simple comparisons - esp. international comparisons - of patent quantity as a proxy for innovative ability creates all sorts of problems.

Propensity to patent and the value of patents differ across firms within an industry, across industries within a country, and most significantly, across countries. National patent systems are particularly thorny to compare because the degree of novelty required to patent, legislative issues, and the 'first-to-file' and the 'first-to-invent' system etc differ across countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Samsung Electronics holds the most patents amongst all the subsidiary under the Samsung Group. Therefore, it could be safe to assume that the #2 position goes to that company.

I'd like to see a cite for that.
post #53 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Sorry to the trigger happy Apple lawyers, but its been confirmed already that the case isnt even made by Samsung itself.

It's made by a third party maker.


Apple needs to rein in its legal team. If they have so little information before they pull the trigger that they don;t even sue the proper party in interest, that is pathetic.
post #54 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

another fandroid stating the iphone and ipad are obvious designs and aren't special. It's just funny how these "obvious" design cues came after the iphone and ipad are released.
.....

like!
post #55 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'd like to see a cite for that.

I somehow doubt that. But here you go anyway:

Quote:
2 Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (Korea) 4551


http://www.ificlaims.com/news/top-patents.html
post #56 of 92
Quote:

Fair enough. Thanks.
post #57 of 92
You are welcome.
post #58 of 92
Our Korean friends like to copy the Japanese as well

http://www.japanprobe.com/2011/12/10...nese-products/
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #59 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Do you know Apple has been named the most innovative company in the world for many years? How does it do that? Have Google been able to do that?

Innovate and invent aren't the same thing.
post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Innovate and invent aren't the same thing.

Very true. Yet the OP never said that Apple invented tablets. They invented and innovated much of the tech used in phones and tablets that disrupted existing markets for these products, innovations that many others have been copying in order to catch up.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #61 of 92
OMG. I had no idea Samsung had cases like that... they look IDENTICAL to apple's smart covers.

Did Samsung seriously think they would get away with this? They deserve to get sued.
post #62 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Innovate and invent aren't the same thing.

I think Apple is very much like a great architect. Architect build magnificent buildings with materials that are widely available. Architects do not invent the materials but their buildings are innovative. Apple products are excellent in designs. For iPhone and iPad Apple created a new type of structure. Its competitors tried to copy as much as possible.
post #63 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'm sick of these lawsuits. These two need to settle soon. All this does is distract from innovation. If Samsung or Apple are found in violation then they need to cross-license or change their designs.

My thoughts too. It seems these lawsuits now have their own independent momentum driven by lawyers. The lawyers and the courts are making good out of this. This is their bread'n'butter and they love this stuff. The longer it continues the more it will hurt Apple.
post #64 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

All of the people whining about lawsuits have no clue.

Apple should keep up with the lawsuits, and they should sue anybody who is found to have been infringing upon their patents.

All of the people... have no clue? Dont be stupid.

What if the patents Apple registered have flaws in a way that patents should not have been issued. What if Apple is abusing what it seems to be fairer patent systems by bringing this look and feel cases to COURTS?

It maybe you who has no clue.
post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think Apple is very much like a great architect. Architect build magnificent buildings with materials that are widely available. Architects do not invent the materials but their buildings are innovative. Apple products are excellent in designs. For iPhone and iPad Apple created a new type of structure. Its competitors tried to copy as much as possible.

Nice analogy.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #66 of 92
So is no one going to touch the fact that the case in question isn't made by Samsung?

They featured it....retardedly...but they didn't make it.

Then again...I'd love to see Samsung forced to deviate from the "kinda iDevice-ish" route they've been going on...I feel with the newer Tabs and the newer Galaxy S IIs they are...but I'd love for the OS overlay to deviate more.

Also the general idea of a case like that does not belong to Apple...unless they bought it from the original makers of course.
post #67 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

So is no one going to touch the fact that the case in question isn't made by Samsung?

Perhaps it's the actual casing of the Galaxy Tab itself that is being sued over?

Quote:
"Apple Inc., which on Dec. 9 lost a bid to keep Samsung Electronics Co.s Galaxy 10.1 tablet out of Australia, claims the case for the device and cases for Samsung phones infringe its patents and registered design. "
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #68 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Apple believes Samsung's official case for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 infringes on its patented designs. The iPhone maker has also asserted that Samsung's cases designed for its smartphones are infringing."
[/url][/c]


Apple got design patent on their cases? Really? Patent on cases?

Good on them, but I wonder what Apple really wants from this case. IMO, Apple wants to tarnish Samsung as 'Copycat' again but nothing else.
post #69 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Apple got design patent on their cases? Really? Patent on cases?

Good on them, but I wonder what Apple really wants from this case. IMO, Apple wants to tarnish Samsung as 'Copycat' again but nothing else.

Apple wants Samsung to stop copying their products. There's really no mystery here.
post #70 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Apple wants Samsung to stop copying their products. There's really no mystery here.

Sure, it looks like it, but what Apple really wants? Without it, Samsung would not copy if they copied as Apple claimed.
post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

So is no one going to touch the fact that the case in question isn't made by Samsung?

They featured it....retardedly...but they didn't make it.

Then again...I'd love to see Samsung forced to deviate from the "kinda iDevice-ish" route they've been going on...I feel with the newer Tabs and the newer Galaxy S IIs they are...but I'd love for the OS overlay to deviate more.

Also the general idea of a case like that does not belong to Apple...unless they bought it from the original makers of course.

ROFL

Do a little research before you stick your chin out, Samsung Troll:

"Samsung is marketing a Smart Cover knock-off for its Galaxy Tab tablet. The product was adorned with the Designed for Samsung Mobile certification and was carried in Samsungs branded stores in South Korea. Youngbo Engineering owns Anymode, the company behind these cases, which is headed by Sang-yong Kim. He is the nephew of the Samsungs chairperson Kun-Hee Lee."

Suck it, baby, and move onto the next post for your trolling duties!
post #72 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

ROFL

Do a little research before you stick your chin out, Samsung Troll:

"Samsung is marketing a Smart Cover knock-off for its Galaxy Tab tablet. The product was adorned with the “Designed for Samsung Mobile” certification and was carried in Samsung’s branded stores in South Korea. Youngbo Engineering owns Anymode, the company behind these cases, which is headed by Sang-yong Kim. He is the nephew of the Samsung’s chairperson Kun-Hee Lee."

Suck it, baby, and move onto the next post for your trolling duties!

Ouch. Ouch.

I await AbsoluteDesignz's reply.
post #73 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Umm... I was referring to considerable research that had examined the links between patent quality and innovative ability, and concludes that simple comparisons - esp. international comparisons - of patent quantity as a proxy for innovative ability creates all sorts of problems.

Propensity to patent and the value of patents differ across firms within an industry, across industries within a country, and most significantly, across countries. National patent systems are particularly thorny to compare because the degree of novelty required to patent, legislative issues, and the 'first-to-file' and the 'first-to-invent' system etc differ across countries.

Are you aware that the "Top 10 list for most patents" are patents that are filed with the USPTO? As in, patents that are filed and approved of in the US by a US government agency.

Therefore, your argument of differing standards across countries is invalid.

Also, both companies are in the same industry as well;namely consumer electronics.

Your arguments lack foundation.

Also, I'd like to see your "considerable research" that invalids a correlation between patent QUANTITY and "innovative ability".

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #74 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

because Apple's either terrified of suing Google directly

I highly doubt that. They are more likely going after the OEMs because Android's UI etc is more flexible and it is the OEM that is making the offending choices. If this were not the case then Samsung etc would be filing motions for dismissal on the grounds that they have no choice to do X, Y or Z and go sue Google.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #75 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

ROFL

Do a little research before you stick your chin out, Samsung Troll:

"Samsung is marketing a Smart Cover knock-off for its Galaxy Tab tablet. The product was adorned with the Designed for Samsung Mobile certification and was carried in Samsungs branded stores in South Korea. Youngbo Engineering owns Anymode, the company behind these cases, which is headed by Sang-yong Kim. He is the nephew of the Samsungs chairperson Kun-Hee Lee."

Suck it, baby, and move onto the next post for your trolling duties!

Interesting, where the article come from?

I read that that design never been cerrified by Samsung and as soon as Samsung knew it the products were disappeared from the online site. I doubt that any of them had actually been sold.

Sure if the smartcase look-a-likes were manufactured and sold by Samsung, Samsung would be penalised in the court, IMO.
post #76 of 92
When companies are allowed to steal intellectual property, this actually stifles innovation because instead of innovating and inventing new things, companies are just copying. When there are a lot of me-too products on the market, profit margins are driven down so nobody makes money anymore. This results in cost cutting and job losses and high unemployment.

Stealing IP should be viewed as economic terrorism and a threat to the wealth of a nation.

I wonder where South Korea would be today if the US pulled their troops from the North Korean Border. I wonder where Taiwan would be if China is allowed to "reunite" Taiwan to the Middle Kingdom. HTC & Samsung, do not bite the hand that fed you...
post #77 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Interesting, where the article come from?

I read that that design never been cerrified by Samsung and as soon as Samsung knew it the products were disappeared from the online site. I doubt that any of them had actually been sold.

Sure if the smartcase look-a-likes were manufactured and sold by Samsung, Samsung would be penalised in the court, IMO.

For the Korean speaking:

http://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm...71307021690424

For the non-Korean:

http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/18/family...store-shelves/

For the connection:

http://www.linkedin.com/company/anymode-corporation
post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) Number of patents means nothing necessarily about innovative abilities.

2) Which of the 35 or so different "Samsung" companies are you talking about as being second? (They are in just about every conceivable business, from shipbuilding to petrochemicals to hotels to chips to telecom and everything in-between.) All of them? Just the telecom piece?

I know what Jobs would say to that.

Steve Jobs: You are so misinformed. Youre believing a lot of erroneous blogger reports. By the way, what have you done thats so great? Do youjust criticize others work and belittle their motivations?
post #79 of 92

So your reference was only from 9to5? Where is the article that says Samsung certified that design?
post #80 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

So your reference was only from 9to5? Where is the article that says Samsung certified that design?

Good Lord, my friend!

Three links, in two different languages (did you read the Korean one?), with two pictures clearly showing the official Samsung logo on the covers.

How about this link from an Android site (via Gizmodo):

http://phandroid.com/2011/07/18/sams...ng-their-case/

It's interesting to note that Samboi's appear to have their own reality distortion field.

Go do your own research from now on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sues Samsung over patented iPad, iPhone case designs