or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds new OS X Lion 10.7.3 build to developers

Apple seeds new OS X Lion 10.7.3 build to developers

post #1 of 28
Apple on Tuesday issued a new beta version of Mac OS X 10.7.3, labeled build 11D36, to developers for testing.

According to people familiar with Apple's seed notes for the release, focus areas for the beta include iCloud Document Storage, Address Book, iCal, Mail, Spotlight and Safari. The build was reportedly seeded with no known issues.

The combo update is a 1.25GB download, while the delta version weighs 986.68MB.

Developer releases of Mac OS X 10.7.3 have come fairly regularly in recent weeks, with the previous build, labeled 11D33, arriving on Dec. 15. Apple began testing the update in mid-November.

Earlier this month, beta drivers for AMD's next-generation graphics cards were discovered in a beta build of the update. AMD's new cards, which are expected to arrive on the market in the first quarter of 2012, could power a future iteration of the Mac Pro, though Apple is believed to be debating whether to continue making its full-sized workstation line.

Apple released OS X 10.7.2 in October, adding iCloud support to the desktop OS.
post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday issued a new beta version of Mac OS X 10.7.3, labeled build 11D36, to developers for testing.

According to people familiar with Apple's seed notes for the release, focus areas for the beta include iCloud Document Storage, Address Book, iCal, Mail, Spotlight and Safari. The build was reportedly seeded with no known issues.

Hopefully this will be followed quickly by an update to Numbers & etc to support iCloud better!
Quote:
The combo update is a 1.25GB download, while the delta version weighs 986.68MB.

I guess the days of an operating system on a couple of floppies is totally gone. We can't even do an update without a major download.
Quote:

Developer releases of Mac OS X 10.7.3 have come fairly regularly in recent weeks, with the previous build, labeled 11D33, arriving on Dec. 15. Apple began testing the update in mid-November.

Earlier this month, beta drivers for AMD's next-generation graphics cards were discovered in a beta build of the update. AMD's new cards, which are expected to arrive on the market in the first quarter of 2012, could power a future iteration of the Mac Pro, though Apple is believed to be debating whether to continue making its full-sized workstation line.

Apple released OS X 10.7.2 in October, adding iCloud support to the desktop OS.

Speaking of AMD I do hope the rumors about switching GPU vendors again is dead wrong. I actually would prefer that Apple keep AMD actively engaged as a partner. This mostly to keep AMD viable as a threat to Intel. I just don't see enough difference between AMD and NVidia for people to even care at this point.
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

r to continue making its full-sized workstation line.

Remember in 2008-2009 when AppleInsider was proclaiming that Apple had killed the Mac mini?

And then the 2009 model came out.
post #4 of 28
Money says that the 10.7.3 update will land within the week after Christmas. It will be released in time to give all new Mac gift recipients an update to squash any previously known bugs and provide the best user experience with the Mac platform and its new iCloud integrated services. This would happen for customers shortly after they unpack and set up their new Mac.

It would be a well timed move by Apple to get it out in the week of December 25 - 31, I believe.
post #5 of 28
Apple, give us back our fracking scroll bar arrows!!!
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Why ?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Hopefully this will be followed quickly by an update to Numbers & etc to support iCloud better!

I guess the days of an operating system on a couple of floppies is totally gone. We can't even do an update without a major download.

Speaking of AMD I do hope the rumors about switching GPU vendors again is dead wrong. I actually would prefer that Apple keep AMD actively engaged as a partner. This mostly to keep AMD viable as a threat to Intel. I just don't see enough difference between AMD and NVidia for people to even care at this point.

From an OS X programming standpoint, nVidia chips are much more desirable, but also much more power-hungry for the same amount of work.

OpenCL and GCD are huge differentiators, and why OS X takes far better advantage of multiple cores and GPU processing. Pick most any Mac. Calculate the number of instructions per second for the CPU; then, do the same for the GPU and you'll see where the real power lies.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yes, I do also hope that numbers is updated very soon,
As its sooooooo slow and clunky on Lion
post #9 of 28
Supposedly seeded with no known issues, but I bet as soon as I do basic functions in apps like mail, calendar and contacts I can break it in two minutes. I don't think Apple knows how to test.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #10 of 28
No mentioning of the wake-up-and-you-get-poor-graphics-performance-bug.

It's a well known BUG since 10.7.0 which hasn't been fixed since now about half a year.

THANKS APPLE
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by detto View Post

No mentioning of the wake-up-and-you-get-poor-graphics-performance-bug.
It's a well known BUG since 10.7.0 which hasn't been fixed since now about half a year.
THANKS APPLE

A bug of which I've never heard nor experience on any of my Lion machines.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A bug of which I've never heard nor experience on any of my Lion machines.

That's nice for you but doesn't help a bit.
This https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0 is just ONE thread mentioning this problem.
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Yeah, scrolling on a tiny laptop monitor is a freaking necessity! Give us back these tools, puhleeze.

And return the Address Book's 3-pane view.

And return the sidebar & tiny calendar to iCal.

And return SAVE AS, please. Especially to Preview. I mean, how can an application called Preview auto-destroy a photo, just because you rotated it to check something out? Doesn't Apple know what the word Preview means?

And stop de-featuring MacOS X in your stumbling, bumbling rush to marry it with iOS-whatever. I don't want my $2500+ computer behaving like a $49 cell phone! You know, we can tell the difference.
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Yeah, scrolling on a tiny laptop monitor is a freaking necessity! Give us back these tools, puhleeze.

That's what the two-finger scroll that we've had since 2005 is for.

Quote:
And return SAVE AS, please.

Please return the keyboard shortcut for "Save As", making it used for Duplicate, you mean.

post #15 of 28
Quote:

That's what the two-finger scroll that we've had since 2005 is for.

That's the new Apple way. What used to take one finger on the down arrow now takes 2 fingers on the trackpad.

I usually try to save my finger gestures for when somebody cuts me off on the highway

Quote:

Please return the keyboard shortcut for "Save As", making it used for Duplicate, you mean.

My bad, I wasn't clear. Yes, I'd like the SAVE AS feature returned, and if they want, keep DUPLICATE &/or DUPLICATE & REVERT right there, it's not a problem. But stop de-featuring the OS!

And fix the RETARD WINDOW, err, RESTART WINDOW. If I de-select this once, the computer should honor my request henceforth & not be so damned stupid.

And fix Preview. An app named PREVIEW should not be able to do anything destructive to a file! Again, does Apple know what the word PREVIEW actually means?
post #16 of 28
Quote:

And fix Preview. An app named PREVIEW should not be able to do anything destructive to a file! Again, does Apple know what the word PREVIEW actually means?

QuickLook is the new Preview. And why would you even MAKE changes unless you planned on committing them?

post #17 of 28
Quote:

QuickLook is the new Preview.

Then rename Preview so it's functionality once again matches up to it's moniker. If the new OS is indeed the Nanny, then drop all of this to the lowest common denominator (which is what Apple appears to be doing).

Quote:

And why would you even MAKE changes unless you planned on committing them?

Why would you even ask? Or even want to know? That's none of the damned computer's business. What I want to do with my files is MY BUSINESS. I absolutely hate being told what to do by a machine - especially when I used to be able to do something but now it's been taken away from me, and I got suckered into paying money for that privilege. I want Apple to stop this damned baby sitting nanny crap & get back to shipping kick-ass functions, instead of removing them.

Fix iCal, fix Address Book, fix the Retard Window. Get off our backs, Apple, & give us back our computers. They are not phones. I've met thousands of Mac users over the years and I can tell you right now: they all know the difference between a computer and a smart phone, even if Apple thinks we don't.

Stop de-featuring the damned OS.
post #18 of 28
Quote:

Why would you even ask? Or even want to know? That's none of the damned computer's business.

So you're mad that it's doing its job exactly as designed.

Quote:
What I want to do with my files is MY BUSINESS.

And if you're just opening them in Preview, that's all that will happen. No sense getting upset about the changes you made to a file actually happening.

post #19 of 28
Quote:

So you're mad that it's doing its job exactly as designed.

And if you're just opening them in Preview, that's all that will happen. No sense getting upset about the changes you made to a file actually happening.

Wow, you just don't get it. Oh well. Here's wishing you & yours various & sundry merriments and much yuletide glee.
post #20 of 28
Quote:

Wow, you just don't get it. Oh well.

Perhaps you could tell me where I'm misunderstanding.

post #21 of 28
Quote:

Perhaps you could tell me where I'm misunderstanding.

i think the point he is making is that you should be able to open something, do something simple like rotate it or apply a brightness etc, decide you don't like it and close it without the change being committed already.
If the user *wanted* the change then they can save the changes.

there is absolutely no reason to change that behaviour.None
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

i think the point he is making is that you should be able to open something, do something simple like rotate it or apply a brightness etc, decide you don't like it and close it without the change being committed already.
If the user *wanted* the change then they can save the changes.

Ah, I see. Now what he's saying makes sense.

That's what Command+Z is for.

Quote:
there is absolutely no reason to change that behaviour.None

Obviously there is.

post #23 of 28
Quote:

And return SAVE AS, please. Especially to Preview. I mean, how can an application called Preview auto-destroy a photo, just because you rotated it to check something out? Doesn't Apple know what the word Preview means?

Preview is non-destructive. If you don't like the change click the little arrow to the right of the title in the toolbar and select "Browse All Versions ...". Find what you want, and restore it back.
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
post #24 of 28
Would someone check to see if iMail now handles Exchange accounts?

/sigh
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

Would someone check to see if iMail now handles Exchange accounts?

Not sure what 'iMail' is, but OS X's Mail application has since 10.6…

post #26 of 28
Quote:

Not sure what 'iMail' is, but OS X's Mail application has since 10.6

It's been in it...and unable to connect to many Exchange servers since Lion came out.
post #27 of 28
Quote:

And why would you even MAKE changes unless you planned on committing them?

Quoted for cluelessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

Preview is non-destructive. If you don't like the change click the little arrow to the right of the title in the toolbar and select "Browse All Versions ...". Find what you want, and restore it back.

Except if you send that file to another machine, where it only contains the latest version. Plus earlier versions aren't backed up by time machine and other common backup methods (the earlier versions are stored in a completely different place on disk).

And earlier versions are deleted after some period of time. Without the user's permission, or even giving notification that it's happening.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Quoted for cluelessness.

Quote:
An app named PREVIEW should not be able to do anything destructive to a file!

Quoted for humor. If he's not doing anything to the files, there's nothing that can happen to them. If he doesn't want to make changes, he won't be making them. That's the point. And if he accidentally makes a change, he can ALWAYS REMOVE IT. That's the point.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds new OS X Lion 10.7.3 build to developers