or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android device activations reach 700,000 per day

Android device activations reach 700,000 per day - Page 6

post #201 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

The only thing that really matters is how much Apple profits from the sale of each iOS device, and how much developers make from their apps. Android can have a 500% lead and it won't matter if Apple is making money and if developers earn more by developing for iOS than Android. Until Android finds a way to stop pirating of apps, iOS will have better apps and better apps are a big part of a better user experience.

It's as simple as that.

For all its vaunted market share, look at the ravaged wasteland of a business called "Making Windows PCs."

Quite laughable, really, this obsession with market share. It's the Walmart worldview.
post #202 of 275
What impresses me is the fact that Google can make all this money and they produce nothing. Nothing at all, all fee's and ad's, like Facebook. Just that fact alone is pretty cool. Sure Apple is more valuable and make more profit, they actually sell stuff, they should.
post #203 of 275
My word! A story that does not portray an Apple device as the holy grail and look what happens. Everyone has to defend the reasoning beyond comprehension. I would imagine that some of the Apple fanboys here sleep with there iPhone under the pillow at night. It is just a company folks, a company that does not give a rats ass about us except for our money, which is no different than any other company.

Apple's stock is down close to $2.00 today. Is there going to be an explanation explaining how this can't be happening?

I enjoy all my Apple products, but I surely don't bow down to them as some around here.
post #204 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbook View Post

My word! A story that does not portray an Apple device as the holy grail and look what happens. Everyone has to defend the reasoning beyond comprehension. I would imagine that some of the Apple fanboys here sleep with there iPhone under the pillow at night. It is just a company folks, a company that does not give a rats ass about us except for our money, which is no different than any other company.

Apple's stock is down close to $2.00 today. Is there going to be an explanation explaining how this can't be happening?

I enjoy all my Apple products, but I surely don't bow down to them as some around here.

Incoming in 3.....2.......1
post #205 of 275
You just made my point. Truth sucks doesn't it my friend. You guys are almost like I am with Panasonic Toughbooks.
post #206 of 275
Quote:

Actually, as of this moment, Apple is up 0.12%.

DJIA is up 0.02%

Nasdaq is down 0.97%

Amazon is down 4.47%

Google is down 0.48%

What was your point again?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #207 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You might be one of those I mentioned earlier then. There are going to be certain posters who won't trust any answer other than one that comes from Apple.

Among the Faithful, they are the Fundamentalists.
post #208 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I really hope you're not employed in a field that deals with math. Even at 700K activations a day, that's only around 255 million phones a year. Or about 60 million less than just the U.S. population. Factor in that the world population is over 6 billion and you've got plenty of room for the number to be correct. Feel free to continue to disbelieve it, but it would be foolish of Google to announce something like that without it being true.

And if you're going to throw anecdotal nonsense into the mix, I happen to know a lot more Android users than iPhone users. A large portion of my family uses Android but I think only one person has an iPhone (I have an HP/Palm Pre 2 for the record).

I wouldn't go insulting other people's intelligence when your own reading comprehension skills need some attention. I NEVER mentioned the iPhone ... I said iPod.

The point was Google is claiming their going to sell more Andriod devices in one year than all the iPods that have been sold by Apple in a decade ... thats just absurd.
post #209 of 275
I suppose you can sell a lot of phone if you sell them really cheap and don't allow OS upgrades. I wonder how many google phones are kicking around the bottom of peoples drawers.

I would have more respect for Google if they didn't so publicly pee their pants every time Apple releases a new technology. What I don't get is why they can't do any better than they have been. It isn't like Apple is all that good about keeping secrets. Anyone tuned it knew 5 years in advance that Apple was working on a tablet. iPhone rumors started 2 years before it was released. Everyone knew they had bought Siri. Next Apple will be smoking Google Maps.

You would think someone would actually try to copy Apple before Apple actually released.

Maybe it is just because Google just don't know how to design stuff without a demo. Microsoft should sue Google for copying their strategy. Chase after every rabbit you see hoping you might catch something.
post #210 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Google stated 550k activations on June 28th, 2011. That's week 26, this is week 51 for a difference of 25 weeks.

So we have A = P (1 + r) ^n, right?

500,000 ( 1 + 4.4/100) ^ 26 = 1,531,733 activations per day if they were maintaining a 4.4% growth rate per week.

Yeah if they were increasing at 4.4% week over week, it would have only taken them 8 weeks to clear 700k activations per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

I thought that your job here was to put an end to misinformation?

He did. He was showing that if they had maintained 4.4% increases every week they would be well over 1.5M activations per day by now. His later post shows Android has slowed to a 1.3% growth week over week.
post #211 of 275
Let's look at real world metrics.

November 2011 mobile device statistics as compiled by Mellenia Media research:

Top 5 Device Manufacturers:

1 - Apple
2 - Samsung
3 - RIM
4 - HTC
5 - Motorola

Top Mobile Phones:

1 - Apple iPhone
2 - Blackberry Curve
3 - Motorola Droid X
4 - HTC Evo
5 - LG Optimus

Looks like Apple's doing just fine.
post #212 of 275
These are

1) Junk FREE or $10 Android crap phones running Android 1.x

2) BUY ONE GET ONE DEALS

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

post #213 of 275
Quote:

Any temporary downward price move is caused by horrid people who hate Apple and try to kill it via stock manipulation.
post #214 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

MacVicta askes "What exactly counts as an Android device? Does it include the Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Nook Color?"

Do these count for the activations? What about forked versions of Android in China?

Those are fair questions.

Rubin said moths ago that they only count devices with Google services installed
post #215 of 275
Another relevant real-world metric is App revenue.

According to Distimo research, US iOS App Store revenue is 4 times more than all of Android's marketplaces.

Quite a different reality than what Google is trying to spin.
post #216 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arasu View Post

Which one of the two claimed to be sterile, so he could get out of paying child support for his out-of-wedlock daughter who was on welfare? Oh wait, that was Steve Jobs.

the first example is business, this example is personal..

two very different things..

but, i'm sure you're a saint...
post #217 of 275
Congratulations Android. you're the new NOKIA.

all that useless market share and near-ZERO revenue.

*slow clap*

post #218 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Sorry guys...

It is not W / W

It is W | W

It represents the large "W" that Rubin had tattooed on each butt cheek...

And, when Andy bends over...

W O W

OMG now I will have bad dreams because of you!!
post #219 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Congratulations Android. you're the new NOKIA.

all that useless market share and near-ZERO revenue.

*slow clap*

Near zero revenue? Is that really honest?
post #220 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryV View Post

Actually Apple's % of all mobile profits last quarter dropped from 57% to 52% while Android's rose 12% to near 40%. After this 700K figure, I would not be surprised if Android is sucking up more % of mobile profits than Apple after the Q4 results. They are growing super fast while Apple has flat lined for almost a year now.

They have to sell 3 times the devices to match Apples profit.
post #221 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

It's not ridiculous. It's exactly as it was with the Mac back in the eighties. More profit doesn't mean success. It means failure in the end. Apple ended up with 1% market share. Niche player. They barely survived. Then again Apple seems to be happy with 1-3% share.

I'm certainly glad that you don't run my business. So by your definition, if I turn 1,000 units of something that makes me ten cents gross margin per unit, that's $100 profit right? If I sold 50 units of something that makes $10 gross margin per unit, that's $500 profit correct? As a business, I wonder which I would rather have? Higher turns with less profit, or less turns with higher profit. You are a nob from a business standpoint.

According to Comscore, Apple currently scoops up 52% of all smartphone profits, leaving 48% for all other smartphone manufacturers to share. Google's profits from Android would have to by abysmal at best since it gives Android away.

Anyone can give product away. Amazon and Google are proving that with Android and the Fire tablet. Turning a profit is what gets a shareholder excited or is what lynches a CEO. So the moral of the story is that activations mean squat without profitability somewhere in the mix.
post #222 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Yes it is. Google makes virtually zero off of Android, as they give it away. The only hopes that they have of making money with the OS is because Google gets to display ads on all Android devices
post #223 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Yes it is. Google makes virtually zero off of Android, as they give it away. The only hopes that they have of making money with the OS is because Google gets to display ads on all Android devices

Actually it's worse than ZERO.

Google is spending $12.5 Billion to protect Android (Moto acquisition), not to mention the millions they're spending litigation, lawyer fees, etc. from all the Android-related Law suits.

so if you think about it Android is a LIABILITY. *NOT* an Asset for Google.

post #224 of 275
Quote:

Android isn't a company... it's merely software provided by Google for manufacturers to put on their phone.

But is Google getting revenue from Android? Of course. Google earns revenue from ads on Android.

Interesting note... Google earns more revenue from ads on iOS.

So... getting back to the issue at hand... it doesn't look like all that Android market share is as amazing as it seems.

Android's incredible market share is a great bullet-point, though. It's certainly something to talk about!
post #225 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Android isn't a company... it's merely software provided by Google for manufacturers to put on their phone.

Why the need to state this?

Quote:

But is Google getting revenue from Android? Of course. Google earns revenue from ads on Android.

In other words, those say repeat the mantra of zero revenue are indeed dishonest, ignorant or intransigent, or all of the above.

Quote:

Interesting note... Google earns more revenue from ads on iOS.

I've made the same point myself, repeatedly. In reality, we don't truly know that as Google has made no official revelation. It's an observation extrapolated from a quote from Eric Schmidt as he addressed Congress. But it's a reasonable extrapolation. Regardless, to laugh at that is short-sighted. This is not a sprint and the smartphone industry is far more mature, and both companies are positioned to grow and profit more.
post #226 of 275
Quote:

Actually it's worse than ZERO.

Google is spending $12.5 Billion to protect Android (Moto acquisition), not to mention the millions they're spending litigation, lawyer fees, etc. from all the Android-related Law suits.

so if you think about it Android is a LIABILITY. *NOT* an Asset for Google.

I understand you need to reduce everything Google to crap in your mind in order to worship Apple. But spouting nonsense like this discredits your intellect.

Both Apple and Google are successful, profitable, admirable companies populated by brilliant engineers, albeit in different ways. Anyone who goes to the extreme kissing the butt of one company and belittling the other is displaying pure ignorance. Do yourself a favor - it's not that hard to, once in a while, find something good to say about Google, and something bad about Apple. You will come across as more honest, balanced and intelligent. Take my word for it - these are good qualities.
post #227 of 275
Quote:

You have contradicted yourself just in this post alone, and God knows how many times elsewhere.
post #228 of 275
Quote:

I understand you need to reduce everything Google to crap in your mind in order to worship Apple. But spouting nonsense like this discredits your intellect.

Both Apple and Google are successful, profitable, admirable companies populated by brilliant engineers, albeit in different ways. Anyone who goes to the extreme kissing the butt of one company and belittling the other is displaying pure ignorance. Do yourself a favor - it's not that hard to, once in a while, find something good to say about Google, and something bad about Apple. You will come across as more honest, balanced and intelligent. Take my word for it - these are good qualities.

My arguments are backed by FACTS. You have not said a single thing that can counter my arguments.

Is Google spending $12.5 billion to protect Android? YES or NO?? ANSWER the question.

post #229 of 275
That's a phenomenal number - unbelievable. Assuming a 7 billion population and no repeat buyers, everyone on earth would have an android within 2.7 years (1,000 days).

700,000 cannot be true.

It reminds me of when Cabella's opened a store in my area. The state gov't said it would bring 4 million tourists per year - that's 10,958 tourists per day. Not gonna happen.
post #230 of 275
Quote:

Why the need to state this?

In other words, those say repeat the mantra of zero revenue are indeed dishonest, ignorant or intransigent, or all of the above.

I've made the same point myself, repeatedly. In reality, we don't truly know that as Google has made no official revelation. It's an observation extrapolated from a quote from Eric Schmidt as he addressed Congress. But it's a reasonable extrapolation. Regardless, to laugh at that is short-sighted. This is not a sprint and the smartphone industry is far more mature, and both companies are positioned to grow and profit more.

Oops... you're right.

Google does, in fact, make revenue from Android.

I misread that earlier comment, and thought it said near-zero profit.
post #231 of 275
Quote:

You do know there are no ads on Android devices right?

I don't turn on my phone and see an ad...
I don't call someone and see an ad
hell I don't even go on the browser and see an ad

Certain apps have ads somewhere...ironically none of the Google apps do.

There are a lot less ads on Android than people think...and revenue suggests iOS has more ads on it than Android...
post #232 of 275
Quote:

These are

1) Junk FREE or $10 Android crap phones running Android 1.x

2) BUY ONE GET ONE DEALS

The top selling Android phones are all high end phones...

you're such a dishonest person it's sad.
post #233 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

Let's look at real world metrics.

November 2011 mobile device statistics as compiled by Mellenia Media research:

Top 5 Device Manufacturers:

1 - Apple
2 - Samsung
3 - RIM
4 - HTC
5 - Motorola

Top Mobile Phones:

1 - Apple iPhone
2 - Blackberry Curve
3 - Motorola Droid X
4 - HTC Evo
5 - LG Optimus

Looks like Apple's doing just fine.

What does that have to do with anything? At all?
post #234 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And Google won't benefit at all from Kindle Fire. Amazon has cut out the "profit layer" of Android 2.3 and replaced it with their own. Google gets absolutely nothing from the deal, other than a generic "activations per day" number for use in their marketing copy.

Come to think of it, there was no deal between Amazon and Google, was there? Google dumped Android onto the market. Free. Open. Amazon took the ball and ran with it, and now they have the only successful Android-based pad computer. And Google hates it.

Google hates the Kindle Fire and its fork of Android for many reasons. Amazon sends zero revenue to Google from direct e-book, media, and other sales. They send zero customer contact information, zero purchase history and product affinity data, and zero browsing history back to Google. Amazon even has a separate and incompatible App Store, so apps previously purchased from Android Market on other Android devices aren't allowed to run on Kindle Fire. And Amazon sells the Fire at a loss to achieve a low price point. They can do this because revenue earned from the device from content sales more than makes up for the initial loss. And it puts the hurt on any and all other Android-based pad makers because they're also going to be forced to sell their pads at a loss. Without Amazon's ecosystem to recoup the losses. Kindle Fire has locked up the low end (aka "The Android End") of the market. Apple locked up the high end in 2010. There's no niche left to sell into.

But worst of all, Amazon controls all ads on Kindle Fire. 96% of Google's revenue comes from ads. Do the math, Sergey.

Proprietary. Closed. The inevitable fate of Android in the pad space.

Hey guy...how are you...do you have these statements from Google that they hate Amazon for the Kindle Fire?

Also...I'm sure the ads on the fire are Google's ad services..

Also Google doesn't record a Fire sale as an activation (According to all known metrics)

Google makes little money from Anything on Android except mobile ad impressions on some apps and some webpages...
post #235 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

The top selling Android phones are all high end phones...

you're such a dishonest person it's sad.

Be nice. He might not be dishonest. Remember my post - there are 3 possibilities for the single-end-of-spectrum comments - dishonesty, ignorance or intransigence. So be nice and do not automatically assume it's door #1.
post #236 of 275
Quote:

Oops... you're right.

Google does, in fact, make revenue from Android.

I misread that earlier comment, and thought it said near-zero profit.

Making a concession or admission of any kind around here is rare. You're cool, dude.
post #237 of 275
Quote:

My arguments are backed by FACTS. You have not said a single thing that can counter my arguments.

Is Google spending $12.5 billion to protect Android? YES or NO?? ANSWER the question.

Yes. But that does not reduce their Android-based revenue to zero. Nor does it turn Android into a liability, either in accounting or speaking in the general sense of the word.

Man, no wonder they say the American education system has gone to hell.

post #238 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Also Google doesn't record a Fire sale as an activation (According to all known metrics)

That's true. Even if they wanted to, they can't because they have no way of tracking Fire activation.

Based on other metrics (non-Google), however, Fire is doing quite well. The tablet market is no longer just an iPad market. (This should make me popular )
post #239 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejon1 View Post

That's a phenomenal number - unbelievable. Assuming a 7 billion population and no repeat buyers, everyone on earth would have an android within 2.7 years (1,000 days).

This does not invalidate the 700k number in any shape, way or form.
post #240 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arasu View Post

Which one of the two claimed to be sterile, so he could get out of paying child support for his out-of-wedlock daughter who was on welfare? Oh wait, that was Steve Jobs.

Who made you the morality police?

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android device activations reach 700,000 per day