or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What About Syria?

What About Syria?

post #1 of 13
The Assad government is now committing human rights violations and murder that makes Ghadaffi look like Santa Claus.

Some observations: Clearly this situation is not getting better despite the "efforts" of the Arab League and other entities. The army is massacring people in the streets. So my question is this: What does the rest of the world do about it? What does NATO, the U.N. and the U.S. do?

I don't know the answer. This doesn't seem to be a situation where military force would be effective or a good idea. Then again, I suppose targeting the army and government (or threatening to) might do something. Unlike Libya, there isn't an organized military opposition of which I'm aware. Though "the Syrian opposition" is now demanding force be used at the U.N. and Arab League levels.

From a U.S. perspective, this is the kind of lack of leadership and leading from behind that I take issue with. The U.S. and our allies should be out front in calling for whatever action is needed. We have no problem bombing Libya, but so far we are basically silent on Syria, which by all accounts appears far worse in terms of the humanitarian cost. I don't know what the answer is, but I know it's not ignoring the problem. Where is the President on this? Where is Secretary Clinton? We should see mass condemnation of the Syrian government at the very least.

Your thoughts?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 13
You're wrong. Assad is a reformer. At least that's what Obama's people tell us. All those dead people have been reformed.

All that bad press is just the War Machine wagging the dog egged on by the jews ooops I mean "Israel".
post #3 of 13
What about North Korea? What about Darfur? What about [insert country of your choice here]?

How about we mind our own business?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

What about North Korea? What about Darfur? What about [insert country of your choice here]?

How about we mind our own business?

First, I wasn't simply talking about the U.S. I mentioned the U.S. perspective, but didn't focus on it exclusively to say the least. Are you saying the WORLD should leave Syria alone?

Secondly, I'm in total disagreement with you and the rest of the Paulites on this one, even IF we're just talking about the U.S. As the sole superpower on Earth (for now), we have the moral obligation to act like the leader we are. That doesn't mean we should be involved militarily on everything, or that we should have 800 foreign bases, or even that we should have 30,000 troops in South Korea (for example). But it does mean that we don't sit back. We must play a leadership role on the world stage...at the U.N., with multilateral and bilateral diplomacy, etc. Again, this is where I think Paul goes off the deep end. It sounds great to say bring all the troops home and build a wall around the U.S....minding our own business, at it were. But if we're not involved, we ought to be asking ourselves who will be.
post #5 of 13
Soon the only difference between the United States and China will be who and what are on the government's blacklist.

Except China actually has money and produces things.

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Soon the only difference between the United States and China will be who and what are on the government's blacklist.

Except China actually has money and produces things.

Hyperbole much?
post #7 of 13
Who cares about Syria?

The Europeans and Obama were mighty quick to intervene in Libya, but it seems that nobody cares about Syria. Syria is far worse than what was happening in Libya, with people getting slaughtered left and right. Where are the French? Where are the British? Where's Obama?

But I'm not worried. I'm sure that a strongly worded statement will be coming soon from the UN. That ought to stop the killings. And if that doesn't work, then they can always make a slightly stronger worded statement
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who cares about Syria?

The Europeans and Obama were mighty quick to intervene in Libya, but it seems that nobody cares about Syria. Syria is far worse than what was happening in Libya, with people getting slaughtered left and right. Where are the French? Where are the British? Where's Obama?

But I'm not worried. I'm sure that a strongly worded statement will be coming soon from the UN. That ought to stop the killings. And if that doesn't work, then they can always make a slightly stronger worded statement

...which will be ignored and condemned

speaking of the French, isn't it interesting that we didn't have people chanting "no war for oil" on the Libya operation?
post #9 of 13
[neocon]They're all Muslims... if they're killing each other without us having to do it, then hey, let 'em carry on[/neocon]
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

[neocon]They're all Muslims... if they're killing each other without us having to do it, then hey, let 'em carry on[/neocon]

You're calling jazz a neocon? Right, sammi.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You're calling jazz a neocon? Right, sammi.

¿? uh, no.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

¿? uh, no.

I knew he wouldn't get it.

post #13 of 13
Please explain, go enlightened ones.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What About Syria?