or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad has 84% satisfaction rating, 17% of users install 80+ apps

Apple's iPad has 84% satisfaction rating, 17% of users install 80+ apps

post #1 of 43
A new survey has found that an overwhelming majority of iPad owners are satisfied with their tablet from Apple, and also offers some insight into how, when and where people are using their iPad.

The new study from the Software Usability Research Laboratory was highlighted on Thursday by Jim Dalrymple of The Loop. The study, entitled iPad Usage Patterns On-the-Go and at Work, polled 52 respondents ranging in age from 23 to 80 on a 75-item survey.

The survey found that 83.65 percent of respondents were satisfied with the iPad, while 62 percent ranked Apple's device as "excellent," 10 percent said "best imaginable," and 21 percent said "good."

Beyond satisfaction levels with the iPad, the survey also aimed to find out how people are using the device. The study found that 52 percent of participants reported they carry their iPad only when traveling, while 21 percent carry their iPad every time they go out, and 17 percent only carry it on them for work.

The survey also offers a glimpse at application usage amongst iPad users, and found that 17 percent of respondents reported having more than 80 applications on their iPad. Another 29 percent said they have between 1 and 20 applications installed, while 33 percent have 21 to 40 applications.

While many users have a large number of applications installed on their iPad, regular use of those applications is a bit less. Among the respondents, 35 percent said they regularly use between 1 and 5 applications, while 40 percent said they frequently use between 6 and 10. Just 4 percent said they regularly use more than 20 applications.

The survey also found that the most common place for people to use their iPad is the living room, followed by the bedroom, kitchen and dining room. The most common use is browsing the Web, followed by checking e-mail, reading news, and social networking.

The new survey isn't the first to show evidence of high satisfaction among users with the iPad. One poll conducted soon after the first-generation iPad was released in 2010 found that Apple's new product category carried a 91 percent satisfaction rating.
post #2 of 43
What idiotic comment will Slappy say to this I wonder?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #3 of 43
Only 52 respondents? That is a minuscule sampling.
post #4 of 43
Idiotic question: how many apps do you have installed.

With iCloud you don't have all apps installed all the time. You install the apps you need and delete those you don't need.

Image that they ask how many apps Kindle Fire users have installed with 6 gig free space.
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Only 52 respondents? That is a minuscule sampling.

Minuscule? Maybe.

I'd bet, though, that even if they surveyed 52,000 people the results would be ± 3% of what this survey found.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #6 of 43
[QUOTE=AppleInsider;2013140]A new survey has found that an overwhelming majority of iPad owners are satisfied with their tablet from Apple, and also offers some insight into how, when and where people are using their iPad.

The new study from the Software Usability Research Laboratory was highlighted on Thursday by Jim Dalrymple of The Loop. The study, entitled iPad Usage Patterns On-the-Go and at Work, polled 52 respondents ranging in age from 23 to 80 on a 75-item survey./QUOTE]

This would be a lot more interesting and informative if the 52 had 3 or zeros after it. Even 2 zeros would make it more credible.
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Minuscule? Maybe.

I'd bet, though, that even if they surveyed 52,000 people the results would be ± 3% of what this survey found.

You really need to go back and retake that statistics 101 course that you skipped or slept through.
post #8 of 43
21 percent use their iPad in the bathroom. Now that is suspect and probably a joke answer.

Still, if the survey is ±3%, it does bode well for the iPad. I may get the iPad 3 when it comes out, though the MBA 13 would be more practical, possibly.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

21 percent use their iPad in the bathroom. Now that is suspect and probably a joke answer.

Still, if the survey is ±3%, it does bode well for the iPad. I may get the iPad 3 when it comes out, though the MBA 13 would be more practical, possibly.

You're right. It's undoubtedly a lot higher than that.
post #10 of 43
Quote:

21 percent use their iPad in the bathroom. Now that is suspect

Yep. Should be more like 21% are willing to admit they use it in the bathroom

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsysusa View Post

You really need to go back and retake that statistics 101 course that you skipped or slept through.

Really?

How is my statement wrong?

I mentioned nothing about credible but I did mention that I'd bet the results wouldn't be that much different even if you added 3 zeroes to the number.

Can you prove me wrong absolutely?

If I seem to lack in statistics then you seem to lack in comprehension.

[even at ± 10% it still bodes well for Apple... so my comment still holds because at 52,000 the rate is still around ±2%... and the results are still excellent for Apple even at a ±8% difference from 52 to 52,000]

[Oh... and by the way... one zero is all you'd really need to make this really credible, not 2 zeroes, and 1000 people would be absolutely more than enough... not 5200... just in case you missed that in statistics class]
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #12 of 43
Quote:

I listen to podcasts or watch Rachel Maddow while I'm getting ready for work in the morning, so I would have answered yes to that.
post #13 of 43
Quote:

You'll have to ask Dick about that... he's the resident expert in bathroom use.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #14 of 43
Quote:

Really?

How is my statement wrong?

I mentioned nothing about credible but I did mention that I'd bet the results wouldn't be that much different even if you added 3 zeroes to the number.

Can you prove me wrong absolutely?

If I seem to lack in statistics then you seem to lack in comprehension.

It's just math.

Assuming a sample size of 52 (the number of people surveyed), random selection, and a hypothetical population of 10M users, the margin for error is +/- 14%.

You need a sample size of about 1,100 respondents to get a margin of +/- 3%.

If you "added 3 zeros" to the sample size you may or may not get different results, but you would get a much smaller margin of error. You wouldn't, though, need a sample anywhere near as large as 52,000 to get that outcome.
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

It's just math.

Assuming a sample size of 52 (the number of people surveyed), random selection, and a hypothetical population of 10M users, the margin for error is +/- 14%.

Oh... I get that. Don't worry.

What you're not getting is that I'm going outside the boundary of statistical analysis and putting my own number out there of ± 3%.

Hell.. I've gone out on a limb before and sometimes I win and sometimes I lose.

Not that it's something that any of us can prove.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #16 of 43
Quote:

[even at ± 10% it still bodes well for Apple... so my comment still holds because at 52,000 the rate is still around ±2%... and the results are still excellent for Apple even at a ±8% difference from 52 to 52,000]

[Oh... and by the way... one zero is all you'd really need to make this really credible, not 2 zeroes, and 1000 people would be absolutely more than enough... not 5200... just in case you missed that in statistics class]

You're missing the point that 52 users is too small to get a statistically significant sample.

You said that the results would likely be the same in a much larger sample, and that is simply not true. You are assuming that the margin of error for 52 users is much smaller than it actually is.

I'm serious. I have a degree in this shit.

Also, the margins can and have been proven. You can count out populations of M&Ms, colored beans, etc., draw them out randomly, and hit the margin of error for the measured populations more than 90% of the time.
post #17 of 43
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

You're right. It's undoubtedly a lot higher than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:

You'll have to ask Dick about that... he's the resident expert in bathroom use.

When the battle stopped and the smoke cleared, There was thunder from the throne...

This

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I use my iPad in the bathroom all the time!

Books and magazines have all been replaced by the iPad.

I even take my iPad with me sometimes when I take baths and put a movie or tv series on to watch.

And this survey doesn't surprise me at all. I bet if they polled a bunch of Android users who aren't liars, then very few people would be satisfied.
post #19 of 43
84%? What's wrong with the rest 16%? Why spend $500+ on something you don't even need, and be unhappy with it?
post #20 of 43
Quote:

You're missing the point that 52 users is too small to get a statistically significant sample.

You said that the results would likely be the same in a much larger sample, and that is simply not true. You are assuming that the margin of error for 52 users is much smaller than it actually is.

I'm serious. I have a degree in this shit.

Also, the margins can and have been proven. You can count out populations of M&Ms, colored beans, etc., draw them out randomly, and hit the margin of error for the measured populations more than 90% of the time.

Okay... you win.

... but I am right that you don't need anything over 1000 people to get a credible sample... right?
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

84%? What's wrong with the rest 16%? Why spend $500+ on something you don't even need, and be unhappy with it?

Not everybody is born with equal intelligence.

And if somebody is unhappy with whatever they bought, then they should sell it. Second hand iPads fetch a decent price and are real easy to get rid of.
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What idiotic comment will Slappy say to this I wonder?

Why are you interested?

He's got you. You are now his.
post #23 of 43
Quote:

It's just math.

If you "added 3 zeros" to the sample size you may or may not get different results, but you would get a much smaller margin of error. You wouldn't, though, need a sample anywhere near as large as 52,000 to get that outcome.

Even with a margin of error of +/- 14%, that means that anywhere from 70% - 98% of all iPad users are satisfied.

I agree that a bigger sampling size than 52 would be useful, but even the big outlets like Gallup usually don't poll more than 1000 people, as it wouldn't be very cost effective, since a +/- 3% margin is good enough.
post #24 of 43
Quote:

Only 90% of the time??!!

So there is a chance that I could poll 52,000 people and get a margin of error of ±3%...

I'm just shittin' with you...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Because crystal balls are not easy to come by.
post #26 of 43
Of those 80 apps, how many are paid? I have 100's of apps downloaded but only a handful are paid apps. Plus side for me, many free apps satisfy what I need downside for developers, I do not buy many apps.
post #27 of 43
post #28 of 43
Quote:

It's just math.

52 humans is way too many. I just need one for example - me. Last time i checked i was very satisfied.

We can go through with all the mambo jambo, but it doesn't take a genius to figure that people like their iPads.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #29 of 43
Quote:

I just might be in the bathroom right now responding to this post????
post #30 of 43
Wait...
52 respondents x 83.65% satisfied = ~43.50
Last time I checked, human beings came in whole number

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new study from the Software Usability Research Laboratory was highlighted on Thursday by Jim Dalrymple of The Loop. The study, entitled iPad Usage Patterns On-the-Go and at Work, polled 52 respondents ranging in age from 23 to 80 on a 75-item survey.
The survey found that 83.65 percent of respondents were satisfied with the iPad, while 62 percent ranked Apple's device as "excellent," 10 percent said "best imaginable," and 21 percent said "good."
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by manojonline123 View Post

Wait...
52 respondents x 83.65% satisfied = ~43.50
Last time I checked, human beings came in whole number

Some of the trolls we get here would rate as a whole person ...
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Some of the trolls we get here would rate as a whole person ...

That makes a lot of sense.
post #33 of 43
I think the survey tells us what we already knew - that most people are very happy with their iPads. I can tell that by watching people I know use them.

I think the statistical discussion was a bit misguided. For each of the statistics there is an unkown true value and a calculated value, which is published here. The question is 'how near to the true value is the calculated value?' and statistics enables us to make statements like 'there is a 95% chance that the calculated value is within 5% of the unknown true value' or 'there is a 60% chance that it is within 3% of the true value'. We are dealing with a Gaussian distribution of calculated values around the unknown true value, and the Gaussian distribution goes off to infinity, so there is a small chance that the sample error is greater. Saying it is 'within ± 3%' is just too simplistic. Is that with 95% confidence or 60% confidence? Of course the larger the sample size the better the chance of making more accurate estimates.
iPhone 4S + MacBook Pro
iPhone 4S + MacBook Pro
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyL View Post

I think the survey tells us what we already knew - that most people are very happy with their iPads. I can tell that by watching people I know use them.

I think the statistical discussion was a bit misguided. For each of the statistics there is an unkown true value and a calculated value, which is published here. The question is 'how near to the true value is the calculated value?' and statistics enables us to make statements like 'there is a 95% chance that the calculated value is within 5% of the unknown true value' or 'there is a 60% chance that it is within 3% of the true value'. We are dealing with a Gaussian distribution of calculated values around the unknown true value, and the Gaussian distribution goes off to infinity, so there is a small chance that the sample error is greater. Saying it is 'within ± 3%' is just too simplistic. Is that with 95% confidence or 60% confidence? Of course the larger the sample size the better the chance of making more accurate estimates.

The question in my mind...

Have the statisticians ever been way off course?
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #35 of 43
I understand the high satisfaction rating, but the percent of users with more than 80 apps seems low. How does one NOT end up with at least 80 apps on an iPad? If you asked me before I read this post, I'd have guessed that I had maybe 40 apps on my iPad. I actually have 124, and I'm not a heavy user of my iPad at all.

I wonder how many apps the average iPhone owner has on their iPhone?

EDIT: oh sheesh. I missed the fact that they barely even had 50 respondents in this poll. That's nowhere near enough to get an accurate measurement. Talk about a tiny sample!
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiball7 View Post

I just might be in the bathroom right now responding to this post????

Too funny!!
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I use my iPad in the bathroom all the time!

...do you iPoo?
post #38 of 43
Quote:

The question in my mind...

Have the statisticians ever been way off course?

Yep, 1 time in 20 tests.

Cheers
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

...do you iPoo?

I iPoo then I iWipe. I use mine in the bathroom all the time. Especially if I am really into reading something. Bonus is that it is bigger than my phone and less likely for me to drop it into the bowl
post #40 of 43
The survey found that 83.65 percent of respondents were satisfied with the iPad, while 62 percent ranked Apple's device as "excellent," 10 percent said "best imaginable," and 21 percent said "good.

62% excellent + 10% best imaginable + 21% good = 93%, not 83.65%.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iPad has 84% satisfaction rating, 17% of users install 80+ apps
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad has 84% satisfaction rating, 17% of users install 80+ apps