or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple wants to launch 'iPad 3' on Feb. 24 birthday of Steve Jobs

Rumor: Apple wants to launch 'iPad 3' on Feb. 24 birthday of Steve Jobs

post #1 of 61
A new rumor from the Far East claims Apple is looking to launch a third-generation iPad next year on Feb. 24, which is the birthday of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

The rumor comes from a report issued Friday by Focus Taiwan, which cited the Economic Daily News as reporting that Apple's so-called "iPad 3" will arrive to mark the birthday of the late Jobs. The detail apparently comes from sources in the iPad supply chain in Taiwan.

Component makers for the third-generation iPad will reportedly need to keep working during the Lunar New Year holiday to meet Apple's approaching deadline. Launch of the "iPad 3" is expected to exceed 4 million units.

"Because it is a new gadget, it is taking time for makers in the supply chain to raise their yield rates," the report said. "The sources said all OEM and ODM makers have exercised great caution in ensuring the smooth operations of their product lines."

Foxconn employees will allegedly only be able to take off five days during the Lunar New Year, if they are part of the iPad division. In addition, employees at Catcher Technology, which supplies casings to Apple, will also work overtime during the holiday.

And at least some employees at Simplo Technology, which supplies batteries, Amer International Group, which provides connectors, and Genius Electronic Optical, which produces optical lenses, will be required to work during the holiday.

Up until now, rumors have pointed toward an early 2012 launch of the next iPad, but no specific dates have been given. More rumors have focused on the hardware, which is expected to sport a high-resolution Retina Display like is found on the iPhone and iPod touch.

The source of the latest rumor, the Economic Daily News has a hit-or-miss record with predicting Apple's moves. It correctly stated that Apple would use a baseband from Qualcomm for its iPhone 4S, but has long claimed that Apple is working on a 7-inch iPad, and also claimed Apple's iPhone 4S would feature an aluminum back, instead of glass.
post #2 of 61
Now that would be a really cool gesture. Hope it happens.
post #3 of 61
Sure, rush a new iPad to market before its ready, which Steve Jobs trained Apple to NEVER do. And make it off-sized, like 7 inches, which Jobs said would fail. Oh, and then release it on his birthday. Kinda like serving a pork roast on Moses' birthday...
post #4 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Now that would be a really cool gesture. Hope it happens.

I see no market advantage for using Jobs's birthday if the device could be launched sooner or shouldn't be launched until later. If the launch coincides with his birthday it's just coincidental since it happens to fall on a Friday in the right season for an iPad launch.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Component makers for the third-generation iPad will reportedly need to keep working during the Lunar New Year holiday to meet Apple's approaching deadline.

Good that the manufacturers are forcing people to work during the holiday. We'll get the iPad 2S tht much faster.

It seems to work well for Apple to use these Asian factories. You wouldn't catch an American factory worker helping Apple on Christmas! Americans have too little gratitude.
post #6 of 61
It might be a nice gesture but I just don't see happening. There's no track record of Apple being so sentimental. That said, the date's in the right ball park for a launch. It should be interesting as the iPad has been ahead of the iPhone curve since it came along. A6, etc? We'll see in Q1
post #7 of 61
There are some rumors that can be dismissed out of hand because they resemble nothing Apple has ever done or ever would do, and this is one of them.
post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

There's no track record of Apple being so sentimental.

maybe they have a major reason to be sentimental now.

i'll buy both the iPad 3 and (iPhone((4S)+1)) they day they're available, whatever day that is.
post #9 of 61
No.

Nein.

No way.

Moving the date up would eat into Holiday sales as customer wait for the new model. If they released a new model in February, December's sales would be strongly hurt by customers waiting for the next iPad.

Nien.

Non.

post #10 of 61
Quote:

It might be a nice gesture but I just don't see happening. There's no track record of Apple being so sentimental. That said, the date's in the right ball park for a launch. It should be interesting as the iPad has been ahead of the iPhone curve since it came along. A6, etc? We'll see in Q1

I agree, totally!

In the 33+ years I've been watching Apple the only things that come close are nth Anniversary Macs.

The date is about right though -- they could announce it on Tuesday Feb 21 -- Availability on Friday Feb 24...

Though, I must admit, iPad 3SJ (or iPad SJ) has a nice has a nice "feeling" to it
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #11 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

No.

Nein.

No way.

Moving the date up would eat into Holiday sales as customer wait for the new model. If they released a new model in February, December's sales would be strongly hurt by customers waiting for the next iPad.

Nien.

Non.

How could it hurt holiday sales if they announce it in February...
post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see no market advantage for using Jobs's birthday if the device could be launched sooner or shouldn't be launched until later. If the launch coincides with his birthday it's just coincidental since it happens to fall on a Friday in the right season for an iPad launch.

At first I was going to disagree, but now I'm inclined to agree. Anyone who might care is already buying an iPad, regardless of how it is marketed.
post #13 of 61
its not going to happen.

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

post #14 of 61

What I'd rather see is for Apple to introduce a special iPad program to deliver on the promise of OTPC (One Tablet Per Child).

...where opportunity and infrastructure could be provided to qualified, needy individuals and communities in developing cities and countries.

This could truly honor Steve and his wish to "change the world".

There are a lot of challenges to do this well -- but Apple can do this sort of thing better than anyone...

Here... I'll start the ante with:

The one iPad per Child program -- buy one at full price and Apple (and participating Countries/Communities) will give one for [well-managed] distribution in to a qualified user.

Now, that's what I'd call a worthwhile program for the post-pc era!

Where can I sign up -- Who's with me?

I'd love to track the demographics, activations and accomplishments of a program like this!

post #15 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What I'd rather see is for Apple to introduce a special iPad program to deliver on the promise of OTPC (One Tablet Per Chid).

...where opportunity and infrastructure could be provided to qualified, needy individuals and communities in developing cities and countries.

There are a lot of challenges to do this well -- but Apple can do this sort of thing better than anyone...

The one iPad per Child program -- buy one at full price and Apple (and participating Countries/Communities) will give one for [well-managed] distribution in to a qualified user.

I'd love to track the demographics, activations and accomplishments of a program like this!

We can still call it OLPC but it can stand for One Lock-in Per Child as I'm sure that's how any low cost tablet from Apple to help children in developing nations would be seen as.

I do seem recall that Apple/Jobs offered to allow OLPC to use Mac OS on their laptop but they declined.

post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

How could it hurt holiday sales if they announce it in February...

Because if the release is too early in the year people might be inclined not to buy iPad's in the run up to Christmas believing a newer version is only weeks away. Wives will find something else to buy the husband and he'll have to argue a case for splashing the cash 8 weeks in to the new year .
post #17 of 61
Quote:

What I'd rather see is for Apple to introduce a special iPad program to deliver on the promise of OTPC (One Tablet Per Chid).

Lovely idea but I heard there's some sort of global financial crisis going on.
post #18 of 61
Quote:

Because if the release is too early in the year people might be inclined not to buy iPad's in the run up to Christmas believing a newer version is only weeks away. Wives will find something else to buy the husband and he'll have to argue a case for splashing the cash 8 weeks in to the new year .

Q:When is the minimum date they can sell in the year for this not to happen?

A: There is none. These devices are all year with most buyers not being the ones that need to buy it opening weekend. The previous iPads were March and April and there is a whole slew of Apple products that have been released in January and February. Even the first iPad was announced in January so it was assumed the next one would be announced the next year in January. One thing Apple isn't accused of is poor marketing skills.

post #19 of 61
Personally I think they will avoid that date like the Plague.

Why? Because the media will harp on it being Steve Job's birthday.

I have total respect for the man and what he accomplished and yes I am saddened that he died and I feel for his friends and family. But as a pragmatist I have to put that aside and look at the whole thing in practical terms. And looking at it that way, Feb 24 is the worst date to release or even announce anything because of the connection to Steve

3-4 years ago when Apple's stock price got down to like $50 a share, it had little to do with Steve's health or his condition being kept a secret. The real issue was this Rock God image that the media had built up such that everyone viewed Apple and Steve as one and the same. If he was gone, so was the company. Now to be fair, Steve and Apple didn't help this with only having him in the lime light. But they learned that lesson and Steve started sharing the stage. Steve and Apple started showing that there were more brains in the clubhouse and 'here they are to show you what is coming up'. Unfortunately the media hasn't been as quick and still jump on the Steve, Steve, Steve bandwagon when they are given the chance. Even to the point of posting practically every page of the Isaacson bio, one paragraph to page at a time.

Releasing anything on Steve's birthday would just be fuel to rekindle that fire. It's a step back when what Apple needs is for everyone to acknowledge, mourn but also move on. The era of Steve Jobs's Apple is over. It's Tim Cook and Team's Apple now.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Sure, rush a new iPad to market before its ready,

Unless you know what they are doing with the next iPad and where they stand in the progress, you can't really say that it would be 'before it's ready' because maybe it's ready now. For all we know, it's done and tested and production is already starting. The source behind this article just might not know this information. Or does know it and isn't saying it because it would unmask him/her

post #21 of 61
Quote:

This is a rumor not a fact. If Apple had announced, as a fact, when they were releasing it, that might hurt sales.

then again, so many folks are certain that it will be 1 year on the dot or less (rather than later) that even without a statement of fact, they aren't buying iPads already

post #22 of 61
Quote:

Look at the calendar. It's Christmas Eve, at least where I am. Do you seriously think this rumour is going to travel back in time and prevent people shopping for an iPad for Christmas? It's too late and its a rumour anyway.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #23 of 61
Really? Are you that thick?

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #24 of 61
There's no way in hell that would happen. The best Apple can do by that date is perhaps ANNOUNCE an iPad 3 and release it sometime later.
post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We can still call it OLPC but it can stand for One Lock-in Per Child as I'm sure that's how any low cost tablet from Apple to help children in developing nations would be seen as.

I do seem recall that Apple/Jobs offered to allow OLPC to use Mac OS on their laptop but they declined.

...something about a gift hourse...

I was careful to avoid the use of developing nations, third-world, etc...

Sigh, Detroit is a needy community -- as are parts of Chicago...

I think that the "lock-in" issue can be addressed.

I learned coordination (pretty much) by riding on a tricycle...

I learned to program maimframe computers using Binary, Octal-Absolute, Assembly, CoBOL, RPG...

I learned to program a mico-computer with Assembly, BASIC, then UCSD Pascal...

I do not use any of these anymore -- have not in the last 20 years... ...well maybe the tricycle

But they each contributed to my knowledge and provided me with opportunities which enriched my life.

I think you are correct about the SJ offer to Negroponte...

...I imagine that discussion took place in what felt like a very small room...

But things change.

Apple delivers to individuals more iPads per month than OLPC delivered in 4 years total...

One Laptop per Child

One of the primary OLPC educational/programming environments is Etoys:

Etoys (programming language)

Here is it running on the iPad:

Squeak Etoys on iPad

And if you are interested, you can install it on your iPad:

Squek Etoys iPad

post #26 of 61
Bring it on, i'm just waiting for the next version to come out to buy one.
post #27 of 61
Wouldn't they have to start building them, oh I don't know.... NOW??

They can barely keep up with iPad 2 production. I can't see how 9" Retina Displays are going to be plentiful enough for such a quick launch.

It makes no sense. This rumors falls under "wishful thinking".
post #28 of 61
Quote:

What I'd rather see is for Apple to introduce a special iPad program to deliver on the promise of OTPC (One Tablet Per Child).

It's always fun to spend other people's money!
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Sure, rush a new iPad to market before its ready, which Steve Jobs trained Apple to NEVER do. And make it off-sized, like 7 inches, which Jobs said would fail. Oh, and then release it on his birthday. Kinda like serving a pork roast on Moses' birthday...

How do you know it isn't ready? Or that it hasn't been ready for six months?
post #30 of 61
Tired a$$ rumor.
How much you want to bet Apple pays this site to pump this trite up people's rear end.
I am so effing tired reading about another goddamn iPad.
post #31 of 61
Quote:

Mmm... Last I heard, $500 Tablets and $650 Smart Phones were selling pretty well in most places.

And there are ways (there always are ways) that financially stressed entities can improve their situation.

For example, Brazil is negotiating rights to manufacture iPads (This currently appears to be stalled).

As I understand it, Brazil has very high import tariffs on the iPad -- that result in very few sales and users in the country.

If a mutually-benificial deal could be resolved, then Brazil, its economy and citizens could be better off -- more/better jobs and the infrastructure required to sell, service and support the "Brazil" iPad industry.

post #32 of 61
I know how the solstice and moon cycles are used to calculate a blue moon and the date of Easter, but what is the new year moon? I can guess, but I'm interested to hear it so prominently referenced.
post #33 of 61
Quote:

Mmm... Last I heard, $500 Tablets and $650 Smart Phones were selling pretty well in most places.

That adds a lot of perspective. We have a 10" device that sells for $500 ($630 if you add 3G) and 3.5" device 1/8th the display area that sells for $650.

I don't see how Apple can get a device halfway between the two that is also half the price. The iPod Touch uses many low-grade parts compared to the iPhone so I can see how a $300 5-7" iPod Touch could happen, but not something that is iPad or iPhone grade.

post #34 of 61
Quote:

Except for the fact that Apple has posted record revenue and record sales every single quarter since that started, your point is pretty good. But as it stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

How much you want to bet Apple pays this site to pump this trite up people's rear end.

I'll bet $400,000. Will you be paying me in cash or check?

Quote:
I am so effing tired reading about another goddamn iPad.

So stop reading the site or the stories. You should be complaining about analysts spewing nonsense instead of it being reported.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #35 of 61
Quote:

:

No they won't. Most people have no idea what the life cycle of an Apple product is. When I had my iPad 1, I sold it 4 weeks before the iPad 2 came out, and recovered 85% of my purchase price. I plan to do the same with my iPad 2.

Besides that, you think people are going to wait on purchasing a Christmas gift until the end of February. Not a chance.
post #36 of 61
The sooner the better can't wait to get mines launch day
post #37 of 61
Quote:

There's no track record of Apple being so sentimental. That said, the date's in the right ball park for a launch.

But imagine the extra free editorial marketing this 'sentimental' gesture might produce. Every newspaper, magazine and blog will run this story and coming on the back of SJ biography which has opened Apple and SJ to a whole new audience this may not be an entirely sentimental move. I would call it a strategic move which has a certain emotional resonance.
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

It's always fun to spend other people's money!

Not necessarily...

What I am proposing is a means for individuals to buy an iPad for themselves and at the same time cause an iPad to be given to a needy individual.

It looks like I am suggesting that Apple do all the giving... but I am not!

Some people could be persuaded to buy an iPad (their first or another) because of a program like this.

OLPC had a "Give 1 Get 1" program:

OLPC Give 1 Get 1 Program: XO-1 Laptop USA Sales!!!

I considered buying one (for quite a while)... but abandoned the idea as I thought the laptop solution and the utility of the device/software for more mainstream uses was locked out (Linux is not a popular desktop OS). So, I felt that it was a good idea that led to a dead-end.

Now, the iPad offers a whole 'nother set of opportunities! It is a mainstream device with an established world-wide appeal and install base. It has an ecosystem of content and apps addressing everything from entertainment, education, business, healthcare...

The iPad is the hottest game in town!

It offers app/content development opportunities at a very low entry point* upon which, those interested, can gain entry to the rewards of self-sufficiency.

For example, if Apple were to highlight these apps/content on the Apple Stores, many (including myself) would likely buy them to support their developers' efforts.

* IMO, what is really needed is a way to develop apps for the iPad, on the iPad. I believe we are getting close to this capability.

Edit: I just found this on Asymco:

The following map shows the countries where iTunes Apps are available.

...Really disappointed in Greenland

Where iTunes Apps are available

/sermon

post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But imagine the extra free editorial marketing this 'sentimental' gesture might produce. Every newspaper, magazine and blog will run this story and coming on the back of SJ biography which has opened Apple and SJ to a whole new audience this may not be an entirely sentimental move. I would call it a strategic move which has a certain emotional resonance.

Ha!

I can see it all now:

Time Magazine names the iPad SJ as "Man Of The Year".

post #40 of 61
Quote:

Not necessarily...

What I am proposing is a means for individuals to buy an iPad for themselves and at the same time cause an iPad to be given to a needy individual.

It looks like I am suggesting that Apple do all the giving... but I am not!

Some people could be persuaded to buy an iPad (their first or another) because of a program like this.

OLPC had a "Give 1 Get 1" program:

OLPC Give 1 Get 1 Program: XO-1 Laptop USA Sales!!!

I considered buying one (for quite a while)... but abandoned the idea as I thought the laptop solution and the utility of the device/software for more mainstream uses was locked out (Linux is not a popular desktop OS). So, I felt that it was a good idea that led to a dead-end.

Now, the iPad offers a whole 'nother set of opportunities! It is a mainstream device with an established world-wide appeal and install base. It has an ecosystem of content and apps addressing everything from entertainment, education, business, healthcare...

The iPad is the hottest game in town!

It offers app/content development opportunities at a very low entry point* upon which, those interested, can gain entry to the rewards of self-sufficiency.

For example, if Apple were to highlight these apps/content on the Apple Stores, many (including myself) would likely buy them to support their developers' efforts.

* IMO, what is really needed is a way to develop apps for the iPad, on the iPad. I believe we are getting close to this capability.

Edit: I just found this on Asymco:

The following map shows the countries where iTunes Apps are available.

...Really disappointed in Greenland

Where iTunes Apps are available

/sermon

I like your energy... and your "sermon"... and yes I'm still waiting for your "book" announcement

As for creating apps, Macworld reviewed Codify not long ago. It's getting there faster than you think.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Apple wants to launch 'iPad 3' on Feb. 24 birthday of Steve Jobs
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple wants to launch 'iPad 3' on Feb. 24 birthday of Steve Jobs