or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS

Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS

post #1 of 193
The Samsung Galaxy S smartphone and 7-inch Galaxy Tab will not receive the latest version of Android, because Samsung has said its custom TouchWiz user interface, not Google's operating system, is too taxing on the hardware.

Android device makers like Samsung and others apply their own user interface elements to Google's free, open-source Android operating system on handsets, tablets and other devices to differentiate themselves from the large number of Android products on the market. On Samsung's devices, this "experience enhancing" software is called TouchWiz.

But it's the addition of TouchWiz to Android that will keep popular devices like the Samsung Galaxy S from running Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich," according to The Verge. Though the Galaxy S has a speedy 1GHz Hummingbird processor and enough memory for ICS, Samsung has revealed the software update won't be coming to that device, which sold more than 10 million units last year.

But the Galaxy S sports the same internal hardware as Google's Nexus S smartphone, and Nexus S owners can already obtain Android 4.0 through an over-the-air update.

"Samsung addresses that inconsistency by again pointing to the differing software provision; the Nexus S only has to run the basic Android OS, whereas the Galaxy S has to deliver TouchWiz, carrier services, video calling software, and, in some markets, mobile TV," wrote Vlad Savov.

That stands in contrast to Apple, which this year kept around its iPhone 3GS, first released in 2009, with a free update to iOS 5. Meanwhile, Android phones often ship with an outdated version of Google's mobile operating system, and the systems are also rarely updated, even during the original contract term of the handset.

Blogger Michael Degusta revealed in October that 45 percent of Google's installed base of active Android users were stuck using software released in the middle of 2010. That's because handset makers like Samsung, HTC, Motorola and others do not make those updates available to phones, and users cannot circumvent their inaction without "rooting" their handset.

Samsung's explanation for why Galaxy S and 7-inch Galaxy Tab users won't get ICS comes soon after Motorola and Sony Ericsson also told customers they would not be able to update to Android 4.0.
post #2 of 193
1 word.

D U M B.

another.

F R A G M E N T A T I ON.

another.

C R A P.

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

post #3 of 193
Android is such an abortion of a product....... I would be totally pissed if I were stupid enough to purchase anything with Android on it; and then not being able to update it......

Fail !
post #4 of 193
Fortunately anyone who is willing to spend 10 min reading and 10 min on their computer will most likely be able to flash a custom ROM. Heck, there are no tablets for sale yet that come with ICS yet it's been shown running on a few in the wild already!

Check it out, release candidate for Nexus S ICS rom: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/12/sam...ase-candidate/

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N
post #5 of 193
Android, it just keeps getting worse. Fugly as hell, more security issues than windows 95, laggy UI, and now, you can only only run it two versions behind. Not to mention it is not making any money and developers are underwhelmed. But hey, they sold millions of hated phones. Like windows all over again.

The Android slogan should be "...but we are winning!"
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
post #6 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Fortunately anyone who is willing to spend 10 min reading and 10 min on their computer will most likely be able to flash a custom ROM. Heck, there are no tablets for sale yet that come with ICS yet it's been shown running on a few in the wild already!

Flashing roms, yeah, that's what ordinary people do when they get phones with outdated software. Do you even hear what you are talking?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #7 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

1 word.

D U M B.

another.

another.

C R A P.

There are some POed Galaxy S owners. The patent infringement mandated changes will only make it worse across all vendors.

When next gen iPhone ships and the iPhone 4S drops to $99, I predict the android users will start to migrate to iPhone. No ICS phones other than the Samdung Nexus before mid 2012.

By then GOOG wil have to pay up to Oracle or shut down Android anyway.

Barring Tsunamis, Floods, Euro meltdown and famine, North Korea invasion/attack on S Korea SK and Straits of Hormuz closure, 2012 should be very good for Apple shareholders.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.
post #8 of 193
Quote:

Check it out, release candidate for Nexus S ICS rom: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/12/sam...ase-candidate/

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N

Custom roms and cheesy 'open' buzzword anything that actually matters?

post #9 of 193
Quote:

Really? Anyone?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #10 of 193
Quote:

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N

Thoughts. Which your words were missing.

If by sweet you mean "i have to build it myself because no one can ship a working product," couldn't agree more.

Custom ROMS. Because I want to waste my time on something that should have come out of the box. Sounds like fun. I have a life, job, hobbies, kids, and goals. Get out of the basement and get laid, that won't seem so impressive anymore.

Community driven? By what community? You mean the Android community got together and said "hey who prefers to have to root your phone and tinker with it and maybe brick it rather than have updates actually install themselevs silently in the background? Yeah I thought so, motion passed!"

My god you are more pathetic than i thought...

"Open"

Buahahahahahahah! Keep telling yourself that. Enjoy your carrier installed keyloggers and google forced tracking buddy!
post #11 of 193
[insult removed]

post #12 of 193
What's a ROM? j/k/ j/k LOL
post #13 of 193
"The problem is a cultural one: Samsung considers its relationship with the consumer to be concluded the moment the sale is completed. Whereas Apple, Microsoft, and other software vendors have learned the value of supporting current users in the hope of enticing new ones, Samsung's attitude remains deeply rooted in its history as a hardware manufacturer. It sees production and R&D costs in one column and it tries to balance them against sales revenue in the other, never raising its gaze to the long-term consideration of whether anyone would come back for a repeat purchase."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pridon View Post

There are some POed Galaxy S owners. The patent infringement mandated changes will only make it worse across all vendors.

If I were going to buy an Android-based device before today I would have first considered the currently sold in 2011 high volume Samsung smartphone because that would be the best bet for having good enough HW and having a large enough user base for getting future support. It's really pathetic.

Here is a The Verge article on how Apple differs. It's all pretty obvious but it's a good summation.

post #14 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by pridon View Post

When next gen iPhone ships and the iPhone 4S drops to $99, I predict the android users will start to migrate to iPhone. No ICS phones other than the Samdung Nexus before mid 2012.

By then GOOG wil have to pay up to Oracle or shut down Android anyway.

Barring Tsunamis, Floods, Euro meltdown and famine, North Korea invasion/attack on S Korea SK and Straits of Hormuz closure, 2012 should be very good for Apple shareholders.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

Agree.

Also. Expect the $12.5 billion Android protection money Google is paying for Moto to cause Google's stock price to crash.

The Moto acquisition is going to go down as one of the DUMBEST deal in the history of M&A.

post #15 of 193
Its funny and all, they are quite new devices and all but.....

Saying the 3GS runs iOS5 is something of joke. Most of the cool newness in iOS5 is lost on the 3GS. Yes, its running the latest and greatest but not in a feature for feature contest. Just saying.
post #16 of 193
Hahaha!!!!

Samsung: fail on the customization that gets your devices "stuck";
Android: fail on "whatever the ffff fancy name" release that is not compatible with any hardware released yesterday;
Custom ROMs: hahahaha... omg... hahahaha... omg... I... hahaha I'm dying of laughing... HELP!!!

Custom ROMs are the worst piece of crap ever. You have no support, you spend your time to make something that the manufacturers should have done for you, you love it and still point fingers to other platforms that don't have that problem.

I remember a BOOM of linux 10 years ago, same stuff. I used it myself. After 5 years of HOURS and HOURS spent to have my computer simply WORKING, I gave it up, bought a Mac, and today I know better of how stupid I was, because my time is precious.

I want to ENJOY and USE my device, not waste my time to have it working.

Anyway, to all the "Android is great" folks out there, I agree with you on many areas. Just one thing, show me ONE Android phone released until now, ever, that supported OS upgrades for 3 years like my iPhone 1st gen. The day you do, I'll consider buying one.
post #17 of 193
...and the cracks in the "open" business model start to show.

Samesung doesn't care about the old customers, they only care about their new customers.

They are being aggressively pursued by other low cost providers -- they can't afford to spend money on stuff like taking care of their old customers.

This isn't a case of the strongest survive - a la Darwin survival of the species -- this is a case of cheapest product wins. It's like comparing a Ford to a BMW -- I'll take the BMW every. time.

I'll pay for the nicer ticket and be taken care of thank you very much.
"What's that? Yes, I would like a free drink and a warm face towel, thank you very much."
post #18 of 193
I can't believe anyone's using an Android-based product.

seriously.

Google is promoting Android not because they want to revolutionize the smartphone industry or to produce an awesome product.

Google is promoting Android because THEY WANT TO SELL ADS!!!!! Android is a TROJAN HORSE PLANTED BY GOOGLE on all of your phones SO THEY CAN SELL ADS!!!! Google doesn't give a crap about QUALITY!

The iPhone in contrast, is all about providing users the BEST PRODUCT and the BEST user experience.

post #19 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Its funny and all, they are quite new devices and all but.....

Saying the 3GS runs iOS5 is something of joke. Most of the cool newness in iOS5 is lost on the 3GS. Yes, its running the latest and greatest but not in a feature for feature contest. Just saying.

Nice try.

the 3GS is a 3 yr old device. The Galaxy S is a year old! ROFL!

post #20 of 193
Quote:

Fortunately anyone who is willing to spend 10 min reading and 10 min on their computer will most likely be able to flash a custom ROM.

And 99% of user will not do this.
They want something that just works without the need to "hack" or jump through hoops to get something (updated OS) they have no idea of what/why they would need.
post #21 of 193
Quote:

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N

You are missing the point. Samsung is essentially saying the top of the line phone it sold less than a year ago is not capable of running Ice Cream Sandwich well enough to update the devices. Compare that to the iPhone, where iOS can run on three years worth of hardware. Further, Android is not really open. Amazon and Barnes and Noble can't call their devices Android powered because they would be forced to use Google's Services to do so. The Nexus phone gets a several month head start on every body else in being able to use the latest OS.
post #22 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Flashing roms, yeah, that's what ordinary people do when they get phones with outdated software.

Not really as most "ordinary" people have no idea what version their OS is or if it is outdated or even why they would need/want to update it.
post #23 of 193
Quote:

Flashing roms, yeah, that's what ordinary people do when they get phones with outdated software. Do you even hear what you are talking?

True nerds think the 5% of the world like them is actually 95% of the population. The satisfaction rating for Android phones should show them the truth.
post #24 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Not really as most "ordinary" people have no idea what version their OS is or if it is outdated or even why they would need/want to update it.

Apple has a high number of users who update right away to the newest version. I think it was about 50% yet a great many would rarely ever sync via iTunes. Now with OTA delta updates in iOS 5.0 that will let you know when you have an update that number should increase substantially. There will of course be people that don't want to risk it or will say later and then forget, but it will increase as it will let people know who simply don't read any tech news or have a techy in the family.

PS: I think Povilas comment was sarcastic.

post #25 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

A fair point. Even on iOS.
post #26 of 193
Quote:

Nice try.

the 3GS is a 3 yr old device. The Galaxy S is a year old! ROFL!

Not a nice try. Its true. Pick up a 3gs and compare to a 4 or 4s. Lots missing. Sure the 3gs is older but this article does fail to mention the difference. Dude, don't get the wrong idea. I've been a Mac head since before the Mac. But saying the 3GS runs iOS5, is a bit misleading.
post #27 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

A fair point. Even on iOS.

True, but not as clearly. People sync iDevices more often.

post #28 of 193
Quote:

Not a nice try. Its true. Pick up a 3gs and compare to a 4 or 4s. Lots missing. Sure the 3gs is older but this article does fail to mention the difference. Dude, don't get the wrong idea. I've been a Mac head since before the Mac. But saying the 3GS runs iOS5, is a bit misleading.

No it's not misleading. It runs iOS 5.0 There is no lie, no deception, no misleading word play. It's like you saying the MacBook Air doesn't run Lion because the version of Lion on the Mac Pro supports different HW and apps.

post #29 of 193
Quote:

True, but not as clearly. People sync iDevices more often.

Sync, sure, but don't update. They click "not now" or "don't remind me again" and they stay on 1.1.3, 2.0.1, and other nonsensical firmwares even on MODERN devices.

*grab someone's 1st gen iPod touch*

"Hey, where's the "

*instinctively head to Settings/General/About*

"YOU'RE STILL ON 1.1.2?! IT'S 2011! You should be on 3.1.3!"

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #30 of 193
So if I'm reading the article correctly, it's the hardware that is preventing the Samsung devices from running ICS?

Is this the same hardware that is thrown about by Android devotees as superior to anything else? And it can't handle the new OS?
post #31 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sync, sure, but don't update. They click "not now" or "don't remind me again" and they stay on 1.1.3, 2.0.1, and other nonsensical firmwares even on MODERN devices.

Yes, they do that sometimes, but iOS version update stats shows that they hit 'Download and Install' a lot too.

post #32 of 193
I don't think the original Samsung S models are incapable of running the latest Android OS version if I've read correctly. ICS is designed to run on older hardware, Instead Samsung has made the marketing decision that Touchwiz offers more in benefits to those S owners (and/or probably to Samsung) than removing it for ICS upgrades.

Some owners might disagree and there's options for those willing to put in a few minutes to understand hows and whys. For owners that are uncomfortable with manually adding it, I think Samsung should have offered the update at least as an option, explaining the benefits of keeping Touchwiz instead if they feel the need. The official option should be available tho. I personally don't agree with their decision not to offer the update at all.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #33 of 193
Quote:

Sorry I can't agree. I got my Mum a 3GS to upgrade from her 3G specifically for all the really useful (for the average user) cool bits including iMessage, iCloud, Photostream, Emoticons, etc. It works great for her and allows her to have all her stuff synced to her iPad 2 without her having to do anything. And she's showed her friends who've gone and bought the same thing. And everyone is thrilled with their devices.

That, to me, is the coolest and most useful feature of iOS 5. And yes I have a 64Gig 4S and I really use it, and use Siri a lot, but most people I know, friends and family, would find, and do find, even a 3GS more than adequate for their needs (with the exception of the camera possibly, but it's still pretty good).

Couple any iPhone with an iPad and a Mac and, even at this early stage of development, you have a very well integrated cloud based system for sharing data.
post #34 of 193
Quote:

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N

I believe the new Motorola tablet runs ICS.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #35 of 193
Samsung's mentality is screwed. Shame consumers generally don't seem to care about this stuff.

The bottom line is there are only two companies in the mobile phone industry who give a shit about the user experience - Apple and (surprisingly) Microsoft.
post #36 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Samsung's mentality is screwed. Shame consumers generally don't seem to care about this stuff.

The bottom line is there are only two companies in the mobile phone industry who give a shit about the user experience - Apple and (surprisingly) Microsoft.

In the same vein, Apple apparently "chose" not to offer the most compelling iOS5 feature to the iPhone4 feature list: Siri

Granted it's not denying most other updated features and added benefits of the latest OS, but not offering the option of Siri was marketing not inability of the hardware to support it as it's been unofficially demonstrated on the older platform hasn't it?

Samsung is making a similar marketing decision. Since they didn't design the OS (Android 4.x) they don't have the option of allowing some features while denying others as Apple does. It's likely either/or. In that regard, Apple obviously is at an advantage designing for a single general set of hardware and software fully controlled by them.
post #37 of 193
Quote:

1 word.

D U M B.

another.

another.

C R A P.

it's funny.. if Apples does it (with Siri), it's ok since they are just trying to sell more iPhone 4S. If anyone else does it, it's dumb fragmentation.. LOL
post #38 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Granted it's not denying most other updated features and added benefits of the latest OS, but not offering the option of Siri was marketing not inability of the hardware to support it as it's been unofficially demonstrated on the older platform hasn't it?

It's been long since proven it's an inability with the Siri HW.

post #39 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple has a high number of users who update right away to the newest version..

Yet most of those users have no idea of why they are updating apart from it is available and it pops up and tells them it is available.
If they had to go find a custom ROM and flash it, they would not. That was my point.
post #40 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's been long since proven it's an inability with the Siri HW.

This didn't worK?
http://cydiahelp.com/how-to-fully-in...4g-full-guide/

I don't know for certain but it appears to based on comments I've seen, tho it's claimed to be illegal and not something I would suggest an owner to try. Still, it does work with iPhone4 hardware doesn't it? Perhaps not?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS