or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS - Page 3

post #81 of 193
I came across the PERFECT description of Android, by President Jimmy Carter from 1979:

Quote:
There are two paths to choose. One is a path I've warned about tonight, the path that leads to fragmentation and self-interest. Down that road lies a mistaken idea of freedom, the right to grasp for ourselves some advantage over others. That path would be one of constant conflict between narrow interests ending in chaos and immobility. It is a certain route to failure.

Wow. Doesn't that just brilliantly describe Android? And the use of the word "immobility"... haha, so perfect.

Read the full speech here:
http://www.historyplace.com/speeches...confidence.htm
post #82 of 193
Your Mommy and Daddy won't be doing that , you IDIOT

but hey won't care either cuz unlike you they aren't a pimple faced nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Fortunately anyone who is willing to spend 10 min reading and 10 min on their computer will most likely be able to flash a custom ROM. Heck, there are no tablets for sale yet that come with ICS yet it's been shown running on a few in the wild already!

Check it out, release candidate for Nexus S ICS rom: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/12/sam...ase-candidate/

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N
post #83 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Fortunately anyone who is willing to spend 10 min reading and 10 min on their computer will most likely be able to flash a custom ROM. Heck, there are no tablets for sale yet that come with ICS yet it's been shown running on a few in the wild already!

Check it out, release candidate for Nexus S ICS rom: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/12/sam...ase-candidate/

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N

Great. I'll let my parents know, they should have no trouble using your handy guide and screwing around with custom roms, terminal commands and whatever other crap they need to do to get last years phone upgraded to a new release.

Or they could just get an iPhone.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
post #84 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

And Apple users are forced to upgrade to get the newest software on their phones too.

Apple knows perfectly well that Siri runs great on the 3GS/4, but they needed to give you a reason to buy a new device. So they held it back.

No they don't. Did you miss the bit where he says he's running iOS5 on his 3GS?
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
post #85 of 193
I'm running ios5 on my 3GS, and very happy to be so, message notifications etc, all benefits that would not be with me if i was unable to update my ios on my 3GS.. just sayin
post #86 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

No they don't. Did you miss the bit where he says he's running iOS5 on his 3GS?

Did you miss the part where Apple watered down the update to give you SOME incentive to upgrade your device?

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #87 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Its funny and all, they are quite new devices and all but.....

Saying the 3GS runs iOS5 is something of joke. Most of the cool newness in iOS5 is lost on the 3GS. Yes, its running the latest and greatest but not in a feature for feature contest. Just saying.

Obviously you have not run it on a 3GS. It runs fine, smoother even than ios4.

It has
iMessage
Notifications
Newsstand
Reminders
AirPlay

The stuff it doesn't have is limited to hardware. E.g FaceTime
post #88 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Great. I'll let my parents know, they should have no trouble using your handy guide and screwing around with custom roms, terminal commands and whatever other crap they need to do to get last years phone upgraded to a new release.

Or they could just get an iPhone.

1. Terminal commands? Where do you people come up with this? If you can jailbreak an iphone you can change the ROM on your android.

2. If you don't care what version of Android you are running like a majority of the people, you won't have to learn how to flash a ROM.

3. Devices have full support from the manufacturers and carriers. They do receive updates. Any new phone you buy now will see official ICS in the future.

Before you make some example of locking yourself into a contract with an old Android, people do the same with the iphone 3GS which is still being sold at AT&T. Will that be getting updates 2 years from now? Hell no it won't.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #89 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Obviously you have not run it on a 3GS. It runs fine, smoother even than ios4.

It has
iMessage
Notifications
Newsstand
Reminders
AirPlay

The stuff it doesn't have is limited to hardware. E.g FaceTime

Siri too? Is there a siri module inside the phone?

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #90 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

And Apple users are forced to upgrade to get the newest software on their phones too.

Apple knows perfectly well that Siri runs great on the 3GS/4, but they needed to give you a reason to buy a new device. So they held it back.

I don't get this statement. As I write this on my iPad 2, I fail to see how I am not running the full iOS 5. I don't have Siri, but everything else is there. Except that Siri is just an app, that uses new API's to integrate with the OS. I can't find any OS level capability that I am missing on my iPad 2 that is on my iPhone 4S.

The same statement goes for my wife's iPhone 4. After going through all the settings and menus, it appears that she is not missing anything except for the Siri app.

Our sales team all using the iPhone 3GS until their contracts go up for upgrades, all are using iOS 5. There is no noticeable lag, and again, aside from two apps, (FaceTime and Siri) they appear to have everything else that iOS 5 has to offer.

It would be nice for people who claim that there are OS level features missing for different iOS devices that are still being supported officially by Apple to actually back up their claims by at least listing a few...

I mean, the iPad doesn't have native clock, stocks, weather, or calculator apps either. Does that mean it is not running the same OS as the iPhone???

There were of course marketing reasons behind the limitation of Siri to the new iPhone only. Apple always has a "new device only" feature/app. Nothing new here. But there is also credence to the idea that Siri is in fact officially in beta as announced by Apple, and there are teething issues to be worked out with the back end, server capacity, multi-language support, etc, etc... and I suspect that it will become universally available with either the next iPhone or the next major update (read iOS 6) of iOS.

And Mushroom, I am not calling you alone out on this, there are several people seemingly spouting this view without supporting it.

Of course every company has to give incentive to the customer to buy a new product, and being able to do something new and different is a classic way of doing this...but it has nothing to do with the actual OS of the device, unlike the situation that is happening with Android at the moment.
| 1TB 2.66 GHz C2D Mac mini Server | 32GB 3G Black iPad 2 | Apple TV 2 | 256GB 1.8 GHz i7 11" Macbook Air | 16GB Black iPhone 4S |
Reply
| 1TB 2.66 GHz C2D Mac mini Server | 32GB 3G Black iPad 2 | Apple TV 2 | 256GB 1.8 GHz i7 11" Macbook Air | 16GB Black iPhone 4S |
Reply
post #91 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"...Siri was marketing not inability of the hardware to support it"

1) If you thought it could be for other reasons you certainly don't state them or even elude them.

2) You definitively stated that it was "not the inability of the hardware to support [Siri]."

I'm sorry, but I've got to go with Gatorguy and say that it's your pride and arrogance that won't simply let it be said that the iPhone 3GS hardware can support Siri and that it is Apple's decision to keep it from 3GS. You're the one who felt the need to move the goal posts and say it's on the server side. Sorry, but the Siri servers ARE NOT part of the 3GS hardware.
post #92 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

1. Terminal commands? Where do you people come up with this? If you can jailbreak an iphone you can change the ROM on your android.

2. If you don't care what version of Android you are running like a majority of the people, you won't have to learn how to flash a ROM.

3. Devices have full support from the manufacturers and carriers. They do receive updates. Any new phone you buy now will see official ICS in the future.

Before you make some example of locking yourself into a contract with an old Android, people do the same with the iphone 3GS which is still being sold at AT&T. Will that be getting updates 2 years from now? Hell no it won't.

I agree with points 1 and 2. What updates are available for Android devices that you refer to in point 3? When I had the HTC magic in 2009-2010 that came with Donut, I never ever received a software update from either HTC or my carrier, in this case Three.

In the second part of your third point, you state that all new phones will get ICS in the future...when is that, 2013? Or will they procrastinate long enough that they will stop selling those phones and already have the next generation of models selling, so just skip the upgrade all together? It has already been well documented that ICS will not be coming to anything except the Nexus phone until at least mid 2012, this being due to a double "certification" process by manufacturers and carriers, who will then decide arbitrarily which models will get it, and which they will leave out in the cold.

The thing is, Mushroom, I agree that it isn't entirely Google's fault. There are too many profit-driven corporations standing in between Android and 99% of the population of the OS's end users. With iOS end users benefit because there is only one profit driven corporation between them and the end product. As long as this is the case, Android will never be vertically integrated and will never be able to match iOS for user experience and integration.

I know because I've been there. I even used Android x86 on my Asus eeePC 901 netbook to make as streamlined as possible for a quick surfer before I wisened up and just got myself an iPad instead. I had to teach myself terminal commands to install it and get it working with all of the hardware on my netbook. I Googled for and found instructions, tips, and walkthroughs on how to do it. I am relatively tech savvy, and into computers, and this process still took me a few days to get everything the way I wanted it. I know that the process for installing a custom ROM on a phone is much simpler than this, but it still requires a Google or three, and comes at the risk of bricking your device, and also has the disadvantage of not being supported at all by the manufacturer, carrier, or Google itself, making the user literally on their own with nowhere to turn for official support.

My point is, that in your last paragraph, you argue that getting a new 3GS for free in combination with a cell phone contract is the same as doing it with an "old" Android phone. Is that Android phone a 3 year old model as the 3GS is? No it is not, it is at the oldest a late 2010 model. In two years, the 3GS will be 5 years old. That is ancient in terms of cellular phones! If iOS 5 is the 3GS's final supported update, then it has had a far longer and more glorious run than any Android device!

Like you, the idea of an open source, free and accessible mobile OS is very attractive to me. But unlike you, I recognise that Android is not it in practice, it is too much risk and work for the end user, unless you are into that sort of thing, and then it is awesome (if you are willing to put up with the sub-par UI interface performance). A bit like communism, in its ideal form it would be great, but in its real world practical form, it sucks, and nobody wins instead of everybody winning.
| 1TB 2.66 GHz C2D Mac mini Server | 32GB 3G Black iPad 2 | Apple TV 2 | 256GB 1.8 GHz i7 11" Macbook Air | 16GB Black iPhone 4S |
Reply
| 1TB 2.66 GHz C2D Mac mini Server | 32GB 3G Black iPad 2 | Apple TV 2 | 256GB 1.8 GHz i7 11" Macbook Air | 16GB Black iPhone 4S |
Reply
post #93 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

Siri != iOS 5.

iOS 5 added many many new features over iOS 4 of which Siri was just one, albeit a very "cool" and marketable one.

The iPhone 4 and 3GS still got pretty much all of the rest of the new features, the most significant ones for me being iMessage and iCloud syncing.

Whether the omission of Siri from older devices was purely down to marketing or not is irrelevant - what Samsung have announced is the equivalent of Apple saying that the iPhone 4/3GS can't/won't run Siri so lets just not give those devices iOS 5 at all.

If I'd bought an expensive supposedly top end phone less than a year ago that was then declared incompatible with the very next major OS release I would be mighty pissed right now. Luckily I got an iPhone 4 which has already taken the iOS 4 to iOS 5 upgrade with zero issues and assuming I don't upgrade to the iPhone 5(?) when that comes out next year I still fully expect to be able to run iOS 6 on it even if I don't get all of the brand new toys.

You want to buy a Galaxy S?

We still sell them here in Australia, an 8GB model, part of Samsung copying EVERYTHING Apple does, apart from the software updates that is.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #94 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Did you miss the part where Apple watered down the update to give you SOME incentive to upgrade your device?

What is watered down? I have a dozen close friends, all running iOS 5 on their iPhone 3GS or 4, and the only software feature we've found they don't have that I do have on my 4S is Airplay mirroring. That, like Siri, is billed as an iPhone 4S 'exclusive'. How is that running a 'watered down' iOS update?

In fact, my brother and his wife swear that 5.0.1 runs better on their 3GS iPhones than 4.3.5 ever did.
post #95 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

it's funny.. if Apples does it (with Siri), it's ok since they are just trying to sell more iPhone 4S. If anyone else does it, it's dumb fragmentation.. LOL

I love how desparate the Samesung Fandroids are. Comparing not being able to run one feature of the OS on an older phone to not upgrading the entire OS. Android is so fragmented with each cloner desparate to add their horrible layers on top to try and differentiate from other cloners it is just one bigger steaming pile when all is said and done. No wonder Android is so insecure and unreliable.
post #96 of 193
...Samsung want you to read between the line. It says' Buy Galaxy S2 already!'

Not much different from when Apple dumped Carbon to send the message' Buy Intel Mac already!'

Anyway, it sems ICS needs more overhead power to run that perhaps no single-core with less than 1GHz can handle. But That's what dual-core handsets are for in Samsung's point of view. Acer and LG have theirs coming out since Feb 2010, Galaxy S2 start shipping in Thailand from June onward. 7-inch Galaxy Tab no longer sold new so it doesn't count.

For those of you who have I9000(Galaxy S) or I9003(Galaxy SE), you can just upgrade it to Gingerbread and leave it there until the phone dies. Most iPhone customers in Thailand actually do that, and you might as well. With PAYG 3G SIM card for ฿300, ฿0.75 per minute for data under 200MB and most phone kiosks in shopping malls can jailbreak one for you in one hour it isn't that difficult.
post #97 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

3. Devices have full support from the manufacturers and carriers. They do receive updates. Any new phone you buy now will see official ICS in the future.


OK you say "new phone" here. Do you mean newly released, new to you, anything currently available from carriers? I'm assuming you mean newly released, but people could read it as any of those 3. Taking a quick glance at Sprint's available Android phones, I can almost guarantee most of those will never receive ICS. I'll be shocked if even a third of them do.
post #98 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

...Samsung want you to read between the line. It says' Buy Galaxy S2 already!'

Not much different from when Apple dumped Carbon to send the message' Buy Intel Mac already!'

So Apple from the beginning calling all of their backwards compatibility items like Classic mode, Rosetta and the 32 bit API of Carbon as temporary bridge items is disingenious? It was announced in 2007 that if you wanted to go 64 bit on the Mac you had to code in Cocoa. This is 2 years after the announced transition to Intel and a year after Rosetta was introduced to smooth the transition to Intel.

Apple has never made a secret of how they leave the past behind and anyone (like Adobe did) who claims to have been caught w/their pants down by Cocoa is full of shit. Snow Leopard didn't come out until late August 2009, 4 years after the announcement. That was the first version that could not be installed on a PPC. You could still run PPC apps on Snow Leopard and Lion finally removed that ability when it came out this year, you know, a good 6 years after the announcement. Most of my friends have already bought 2 new PCs in that timeframe and potentially several other upgrades along the way.

This really isn't the same at all. Samsung won't even support year old products.
post #99 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N

Those are all meaningless words to 99% of consumers who just want the phone to work and have a pleasant experience using it. Despite what you and others who frequent these forums may think, it is just a tiny minority of smartphone users who want to jailbreak, flash, install custom ROMs, etc. It's funny that you need to do all of those things to Android in order for it to be attractive and usable.
post #100 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

The Moto acquisition is going to go down as one of the DUMBEST deal in the history of M&A.

Dumber than HP's acquisition of Palm?
post #101 of 193
Haven't any of you android fanboys figured this out yet? Read the reports...

iOS has 92% of the online shopping market. Magazine publishers are seeing increased readership due to iOS (not Android). Apple gets more traffic than Walmart, eBay, Best Buy and Sears. Gannett buys thousands of iPhones, iPads (not Android) for mobile newsroom. FCC clears iPad (not Android) for use aboard planes. Major app releases hit iOS first. iOS app store has 6x the revenue of Android Market in 2011...

Yet the only statistics Google can quote is a daily activation figure. Well, when you put Android on phones that are given away for free, yes, you will have a lot of activations. However, it is very clear that the vast majority of Android users are freeloaders who have very little to no interest in purchasing apps, or anything online for that matter. Maybe it's because all of the Android malware and viruses may have those users spooked? I wonder why government agencies aren't approving Android hardware for their people? Hmmm...

If the above isn't enough, now we have OEM manufacturers like Samsung saying they won't allow users of older devices to upgrade to the newest version of Android because their UI overlay takes too much processing power? Well then change your overlay, or get rid of it! This is not how you keep customers.

2012 will not be a good year for Android. Why? Because there is no innovation going on over there. Everything is "me too" by Google and their hardware partners. It's obvious now that market share is not everything.
post #102 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Did you miss the part where Apple watered down the update to give you SOME incentive to upgrade your device?

As usual your anti-Apple rhetoric is flawed. If there was goal was to force you to buy a new iPhone then they wouldn't offer updates to any outdated model. There would be no iOS 5.0 for the 3GS so people can save $20 month by using iMessages. There would be no iOS for the first iPad so users have to get the latest to use Newsstaand.

This goes for all the OS advancements and apps, but you have decided that the few features they have excluded because the HW can't run it locally or across all dispersed units that it's because they are trying to force the user to upgrade. Makes perfect sense for a crazy person, good thinking¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #103 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

Haven't any of you android fanboys figured this out yet? Read the reports...

iOS has 92% of the online shopping market. Magazine publishers are seeing increased readership due to iOS (not Android). Apple gets more traffic than Walmart, eBay, Best Buy and Sears. Gannett buys thousands of iPhones, iPads (not Android) for mobile newsroom. FCC clears iPad (not Android) for use aboard planes. Major app releases hit iOS first. iOS app store has 6x the revenue of Android Market in 2011...

Yet the only statistics Google can quote is a daily activation figure. Well, when you put Android on phones that are given away for free, yes, you will have a lot of activations. However, it is very clear that the vast majority of Android users are freeloaders who have very little to no interest in purchasing apps, or anything online for that matter. Maybe it's because all of the Android malware and viruses may have those users spooked? I wonder why government agencies aren't approving Android hardware for their people? Hmmm...

If the above isn't enough, now we have OEM manufacturers like Samsung saying they won't allow users of older devices to upgrade to the newest version of Android because their UI overlay takes too much processing power? Well then change your overlay, or get rid of it! This is not how you keep customers.

2012 will not be a good year for Android. Why? Because there is no innovation going on over there. Everything is "me too" by Google and their hardware partners. It's obvious now that market share is not everything.

Damn, well I'm glad I'm not getting 6x overcharged for the apps I buy.

1. The FCC also cleared Galaxy Tab 10.1s for in flight entertainment
2. The 3GS is also given away for a free with a new contract. Will that be supported in 2 years? Nope.
3. Malware? I guarantee you have never met someone that has ever downloaded malware from the Android market. I have never ran into any app that did anything malicious at all.
4. Google, George Mason University and the NSA are working on making Android the most secure platform yet.
5. The DoD has already cleared android tablets for official use
6. Who said it took too much processing power? You didn't read the article, did you? It's the size of Samsung's Touchwiz. Beta builds of ICS are already available for those devices.
7. As far as more profits from the iOS store, let's take a look at that real quick.

Open up your iphone's app store. Take a look at the top 25 free apps. Most of them are for kids. Kids that use in-app purchases. It's really that simple. Little games with in-app purchases have been the most profitable apps this year. And with more teens/tweens using iphones, it makes more revenue for the developers.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #104 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As usual your anti-Apple rhetoric is flawed. If there was goal was to force you to buy a new iPhone then they wouldn't offer updates to any outdated model. There would be no iOS 5.0 for the 3GS so people can save $20 month by using iMessages. There would be no iOS for the first iPad so users have to get the latest to use Newsstaand.

This goes for all the OS advancements and apps, but you have decided that the few features they have excluded because the HW can't run it locally or across all dispersed units that it's because they are trying to force the user to upgrade. Makes perfect sense for a crazy person, good thinking¡

People should get unlimited texting just to get the unlimited mobile to mobile.

I work at AT&T. I see how many people come in to upgrade from their iphone 4, to an iphone 4S. Just so they can have a conversation with their phone.

Other than that, the camera is marginally better and the battery life is actually worse on the 4S.

It's all marketing to get someone to buy a re-hashed iphone 4. Now, if someone HAD to have an iphone and currently had a 3G/3GS, I'd totally recommend the 4S. But it's too bad they won't get Siri

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #105 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

People should get unlimited texting just to get the unlimited mobile to mobile.

Another example of you not using your thinking cap.

Quote:
I work at AT&T.

I have never felt such a strong urge to switch carriers.

Quote:
I see how many people come in to upgrade from their iphone 4, to an iphone 4S. Just so they can have a conversation with their phone.

We get it! You like to have to some new radical design and a different size display each time so you can try to brag about it. You hate not having pointless features that fit on a spec sheet or people not knowing you have the latest Android phone. That's not me or most people. Most just want something that works and is better than before, so you can ignore all the other advancements in the 4S but that's still just being superficial and not understanding technology

Quote:
Other than that, the camera is marginally better

Marginally better than some of the newer Android-based devices, but much better than iPhone 4 camera which is much better than the iPhone 3GS camera.

Quote:
It's all marketing to get someone to buy a re-hashed iphone 4.

Just to get you to buy a new phone yet they offer the iOS 5.0 to 3 years of models. Makes perfect sense¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #106 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

people come in to upgrade from their iphone 4, to an iphone 4S. Just so they can have a conversation with their phone.

the camera is marginally better

It's all marketing to get someone to buy a re-hashed iphone 4.

I'd totally recommend the 4S. But it's too bad they won't get Siri

MacRumors has a rule where lying is an instantly bannable offense.



That's the only thing I miss from there.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #107 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This didn't worK?
http://cydiahelp.com/how-to-fully-in...4g-full-guide/

I don't know for certain but it appears to based on comments I've seen, tho it's claimed to be illegal and not something I would suggest an owner to try. Still, it does work with iPhone4 hardware doesn't it? Perhaps not?

Siri was never an advertised feature of iOS 5. It was also listed as a feature for the 4S. A beta feature at that. Further, people act as if the Siri's hardware only includes the phone itself. Siri also relies on a server, which has experienced some growing pains (e.g. outages).
post #108 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

.Anyway, it sems ICS needs more overhead power to run that perhaps no single-core with less than 1GHz can handle. But That's what dual-core handsets are for in Samsung's point of view. Acer and LG have theirs coming out since Feb 2010, Galaxy S2 start shipping in Thailand from June onward. 7-inch Galaxy Tab no longer sold new so it doesn't count.

Nexus S?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #109 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

And Apple users are forced to upgrade to get the newest software on their phones too.

Apple knows perfectly well that Siri runs great on the 3GS/4, but they needed to give you a reason to buy a new device. So they held it back.

See, here's the thing... Our upgrade experience is 1. Buy new iPhone for $199 or $299 2. Sell old iPhone for $199 or $299.

People want old apple devices because they are still functional and useful. They can upgrade to the latest iOS.
I don't mind android fans -- I just think they missed the MIcrosoft 90s and are repeating it. Just don't come into an Apple forum and interrupt us getting ou chuckles over your crapand think we won tell you why your stuff is crap. Many Apple fans spent heir teens and twenties screwing around with Linux and playstation ROMs, and now have much better things to do with our time.

Good luck with removing your adware from your andriod whatever phone...
post #110 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post


It's all marketing to get someone to buy a re-hashed iphone 4. Now, if someone HAD to have an iphone and currently had a 3G/3GS, I'd totally recommend the 4S. But it's too bad they won't get Siri

Maybe I read something wrong but why wouldn't they get Siri on the 4s?
post #111 of 193
How do you think these folks make money?
Sammy and the rest of the tablet OEMS know damn well that as new Android builds roll out they have to push new hardware to coincide with Google's stuff.
post #112 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

...Samsung want you to read between the line. It says' Buy Galaxy S2 already!'

Not much different from when Apple dumped Carbon to send the message' Buy Intel Mac already!'

There's a huge difference...Apple supported PowerPC architecture and Carbon for about 4 years or so after Intel Macs were announced dropping support in Snow Leopard for the chips but still keeping Rosetta alive till Lion came and pounced on it. My 2007 MacBook 2GHz 2GB (originally 1GB) started with Tiger and is now running Lion. Thats 4 OS's that have been on this machine. I don't know if I'll be lucky to get 10.8 on this machine, but I'm happy with how long it's been supported compared to what Wintel customers had to go through just to get from XP to Vista.

Samsung and other Android handset manufacturers have a product cycle of 3 to 6 months (if even) and once the old hardware is replaced by the next best thing, it's pretty much not getting any support or the newest OS updates...even if it technically could handle it. Most Android handsets these days ship with 2.3 and even if they can handle 4.0, won't likely ever see it without being hacked. Lets see one Android device still in the wild for 2-3 years with any recent version of the Android OS released by the Carrier/Manufacturer. If you can provide one, it's a rarity.

Apple supports legacy hardware/software a lot better than anyone else at the moment...sometimes it hurts when they drop support for something, but sometimes tough love is necessary. Yes, they're out to make a buck (like everyone else) and make you get the next best thing, but they at least recognize that if you have a new iPhone, that you'll be tied to a 2 year agreement so maybe you should be given at least a couple full OS updates to keep you happy for the next 730 days.

And I see I was late in my post...SSquirrel beat me too it...hours earlier. Oh well.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #113 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

Apple supports legacy hardware/software a lot better than anyone else at the moment...sometimes it hurts when they drop support for something, but sometimes tough love is necessary. Yes, they're out to make a buck (like everyone else) and make you get the next best thing, but they at least recognize that if you have a new iPhone, that you'll be tied to a 2 year agreement so maybe you should be given at least a couple full OS updates to keep you happy for the next 730 days.

I also like that Apple releases their updates for a product all at the same time. I follow tech news and I have no idea when the few eligible Android-based devices will even get ICS because it's all scattered and mostly just promises made to be broken.

PS: I especially love when people were calling Lion crap because Quicken 2007 didn't work on it as if that's Apple's fault.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #114 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Its funny and all, they are quite new devices and all but.....

Saying the 3GS runs iOS5 is something of joke. Most of the cool newness in iOS5 is lost on the 3GS. Yes, its running the latest and greatest but not in a feature for feature contest. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Not a nice try. Its true. Pick up a 3gs and compare to a 4 or 4s. Lots missing. Sure the 3gs is older but this article does fail to mention the difference. Dude, don't get the wrong idea. I've been a Mac head since before the Mac. But saying the 3GS runs iOS5, is a bit misleading.

Here it goes again. Somebody always complains about their old iPhone not getting the full feature of the new iOS. Three years ago when you bought your 3Gs, did Apple advertise or promise you that in three years you'll be getting FaceTime, iMessage, Notification Center, etc.? NO! You should be happy that you're even getting the update at all. Besides your 3Gs got iCloud, iMessage and Notification Center, which are extremely huge features. So stop moaning, otherwise just upgrade your phone.
post #115 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I also like that Apple releases their updates for a product all at the same time. I follow tech news and I have no idea when the few eligible Android-based devices will even get ICS because it's all scattered and mostly just promises made to be broken.

What I think is funny is that the anti-Apple people are claiming that Apple stifles innovation and advancing technology. Samsung doesn't appear to be having much trouble doing this to itself. "Let's see...latest version of OS or terrible proprietary UI layer? I guess it doesn't matter...these phones are already obsolete so why bother supporting them?" *cue sitcom style shoulder-shrug and laugh-track*

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #116 of 193
And Apple continues to support a phone made a year before the Galaxy S was released.
post #117 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

And Apple continues to support a phone made a year before the Galaxy S was released.

But - it's completely unusable without Siri. Hang on - Siri is just a useless gimmick. We have a good old logical paradox.
post #118 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Its funny and all, they are quite new devices and all but.....

Saying the 3GS runs iOS5 is something of joke. Most of the cool newness in iOS5 is lost on the 3GS. Yes, its running the latest and greatest but not in a feature for feature contest. Just saying.

Can tell you're either a newbie or a troll in waiting. The 3GS is very old as far as tech stuff goes but at least Apple is trying to keep he 3GS updated as much as it can be. That in my book is a lot better than just saying too bad for you and your phone.

Didn't Google come out last year and promise that they would make Android viable on all products for at least a year after their release? Google makes promises that they can't keep or enforce, all to make Android look good but the manufacturers later turn around and basically say ' Nope, not my problem, it sucks to be you.'

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #119 of 193
Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha. Even my mum was able to "accidentally" upgrade to iOS5 and has iMessage now (though she doesn't have a 3G data plan, so it's dependent on WiFi).

Still... Bwah ha ha ha ha ha. At least you have our Samsung 4" screen...

Suddenly, so many people are on iMessage. It's no doubt just more nails in the already well-polished BlackBerry coffin.
post #120 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Can tell you're either a newbie or a troll in waiting. The 3GS is very old as far as tech stuff goes but at least Apple is trying to keep he 3GS updated as much as it can be. That in my book is a lot better than just saying too bad for you and your phone.

Didn't Google come out last year and promise that they would make Android viable on all products for at least a year after their release? Google makes promises that they can't keep or enforce, all to make Android look good but the manufacturers later turn around and basically say ' Nope, not my problem, it sucks to be you.'

Yeah... The 3GS is pretty ancient by smartphone standards. 2009. Think about it. It's soon 2012. To be able to run most of iOS5 is no, no, small feat.

I wonder which 2009 Android handsets can run ICS. Not many, I suspect.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS