or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Mac Mini

Mac Mini

post #1 of 24
Do you think the Mac mini will be replaced in 2012? Thanks
post #2 of 24
Absolutely it will. That's not to say yours will stop functioning or stop being just as awesome as it always has.

Any update would be a spec bump. We're not gonna get some magical redesign or anything. Same case, same ports (probably. maybe ONE more Thunderbolt would be nice), same BYODKM idea.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely it will. That's not to say yours will stop functioning or stop being just as awesome as it always has.

Any update would be a spec bump. We're not gonna get some magical redesign or anything. Same case, same ports (probably. maybe ONE more Thunderbolt would be nice), same BYODKM idea.

Another marketing ploy you are really saying. Thanks
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Another marketing ploy you are really saying. Thanks

Not in the slightest. It's the relentless march of technology. A "marketing ploy" would be giving it a new case with the same internals and calling that a new product.

post #5 of 24
Quote:

Not in the slightest. It's the relentless march of technology. A "marketing ploy" would be giving it a new case with the same internals and calling that a new product.

Big deal another Thunderbolt connection they will have.
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Brand new processor and GPU, different amounts of RAM, different hard drive capacities

It's a completely new machine. You've gone from gunning for it to dismissing it entirely because if you pretend it's not better than yours, that somehow 'justifies' you not getting one.

post #7 of 24
Why do you talk like Yoda?

Quote:
marvfox;

Another marketing ploy you are really saying.

ADS
ADS
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Why do you talk like Yoda?

Concerned he is, for the lifespan of his computer. Shame in that, there is not.

The next release will be a standard update: The difference will be great enough that upgrading from the previous model isn't silly, but also small enough that it's not a necessity to do said upgrade if you don't wish it.

post #9 of 24
Quote:

Brand new processor and GPU, different amounts of RAM, different hard drive capacities

It's a completely new machine. You've gone from gunning for it to dismissing it entirely because if you pretend it's not better than yours, that somehow 'justifies' you not getting one.

Just another rumor going around.
post #10 of 24
Quote:

Concerned he is, for the lifespan of his computer. Shame in that, there is not.

The next release will be a standard update: The difference will be great enough that upgrading from the previous model isn't silly, but also small enough that it's not a necessity to do said upgrade if you don't wish it.

I think you are spiteful!
post #11 of 24

The only things I can see it having is the next rev of the Core i5/i7, better Intel graphics to support retina displays and possibly a better standalone graphics chip. I don't see it having another thunderbolt port or any port changes for that matter. Thunderbolt isn't exactly taking off here. I like the HDMI port. It opens the Mac Mini up to a lot of different uses that Thunderbolt would restrict. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #12 of 24

It will with high equipped hardware capabilities.

post #13 of 24

I agree Thunderbolt is not exactly that great as it is expensive to use and not that advantageous to use.

post #14 of 24

Sometimes newer is not better remember that this pertains to audio equipment and other technologies we use.

post #15 of 24

What happened Mac mini stays the same until maybe in the fall.

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I agree Thunderbolt is not exactly that great as it is expensive to use and not that advantageous to use.
That's frequently how it starts. It is a considerable advance in technology with room to continue growing, so it has a large amount of potential. Price will go down in time.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #17 of 24

We will see what happens.

post #18 of 24
Quote:

We will see what happens.

This is a pretty common scenario across a wide range of technology advancements and interfaces. The risk is if the standard isn't adopted, but being such a great specification (small port, huge growth potential, far superior to alternatives) and backed by big players (e.g. Intel) that probably won't happen.
  Samuel Johnson
  Samuel Johnson
post #19 of 24

Do you own a Mac mini now?

post #20 of 24

I own a mac mini and I am driving the thing probably to its death. It pushes a 50" Phillips 1080p screen and delivers audio to a Denon 5.1 system. Before anyone jumps in about it doesn't make the most of those technologies: I know. This is just a hobby, and I am experimenting. The majority of my content is via satellite and video capture is via eyeTV HD. I use Toast to rip files and export/archive it to an iomega subsystem. Acceleration is via a Turbo H.264 USB stick. Content stored on the mini can be remote viewed on my network via iPhone and iPad, and remote programming is via a DirectTv app on the iPhone.

When I'm actually sitting in front of it, I can surf and watch TV or edit video at the same time. I'd say the screen is driven solely by the mini 94% of the time, as opposed to bypassing it and using HDMI straight from the satellite box. A wireless Apple keyboard and magic trackpad round out the inputs.

post #21 of 24

That is really using it excessively. Is this the 2011 model? No complaints at all you have with this machine I presume with using all this equipment. Good for you.

post #22 of 24

Do you think the Mac mini will be dropped from their new fall lineup?

post #23 of 24
Quote:
Do you think the Mac mini will be dropped from their new fall lineup?

I sincerely doubt it.

post #24 of 24

Thanks

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Mac Mini