or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS, Android activations surge 353% on record setting Christmas Day
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS, Android activations surge 353% on record setting Christmas Day - Page 2

post #41 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I find it disturbing how these numbers are blended in with Android. I believe this is done on purpose to hide the declining activation rates of iOS. It is as if the reporters are afraid of admitting iOS decline through the tremendous demand by people for Android devices. You have to admit, Google with their Android OS is just burying Apple iOS easily.

There he is. You have some around here so wrapped up they talk about you in threads you are not even in, has to be cool having mind powers

As to your point, valid point. It seems very misleading. Like saying Apple and Microsoft have 99% of the desktop market or Apple and Samsung have 85% of the tablet market, very misleading. Maybe these news sites fear the back lash of Applebots or Fandroids?
post #42 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

There he is. You have some around here so wrapped up they talk about you in threads you are not even in, has to be cool having mind powers

As to your point, valid point. It seems very misleading. Like saying Apple and Microsoft have 99% of the desktop market or Apple and Samsung have 85% of the tablet market, very misleading. Maybe these news sites fear the back lash of Applebots or Fandroids?

I'm just pointing out the obvious to folks. This report for instance is so misleading, I have to laugh at the futile attempt to hide the truth. Android has clearly won and iOS will be marginalized just like Mac OS to under 5% worldwide.
post #43 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

You have to admit, Google with their Android OS is just burying Apple iOS easily.

Keep dreaming.

iOS Took 13.4% of Online Sales on Christmas Day

The iPad accounted for 7% of all online sales on Christmas Day—meaning that 7% of all purchases made online December 25th were made from an iPad. The iPhone accounted for 6.4% of all online sales.





http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikamor...christmas-day/

By the way, I was at Best Buy today, to purchase another little Apple toy for myself, and I noticed a huge line of people waiting to return products. I bet that there were many Android devices and failed tablets waiting to get returned in that line of angry looking and impatient people.
post #44 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I'm just pointing out the obvious to folks. This report for instance is so misleading, I have to laugh at the futile attempt to hide the truth. Android has clearly won and iOS will be marginalized just like Mac OS to under 5% worldwide.

I try not to get invloved with predictions, I agree that things will look much different in 5 years, Android is here to stay. I hope Apple doesnt crumble to 5% soley because competition only benefits the consumer. I would laugh if it did only for the fact that I know the posts on these forums by some would be very entertaining.
post #45 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I like to tell it how I see it, and I'm not bothered if the truth may offend a certain segment of people. Android is a crap platform and Fandroids are full of shit.

"How I see it"....and...."the truth" do not belong in the same sentence. How you see it is your opinion so keep it as such. Stop spewing and pontificating like what you say is actually truth. It's your opinion and nothing else. You'd be embraced by more Apple fans and have better, more constructive debates if you wouldn't be so frigging extreme and constantly badmouth users of any other platform or OS other than Apple's. What you do is no better or different than trolling. C'mon, dude, just tone it down a notch, please. We like your message and cause, just not your method and style.

I doubt you've gotten very many PMs from any or many of the long-time regularly posting/contributing members and mavens of this site.
You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #46 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Apple

By the way, I was at Best Buy today, to purchase another little Apple toy for myself, and I noticed a huge line of people waiting to return products. I bet that there were many Android devices and failed tablets waiting to get returned in that line of angry looking and impatient people.

Instead of assuming you should of gone and asked them. Cool story, but baseless.
post #47 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

We like your message and cause, just not your method and style.

Well, I can't please everybody, but my style and method can not be changed, because that's who I am.
post #48 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Instead of assuming you should of gone and asked them. Cool story, but baseless.

I wasn't about to go and poll every grumpy person waiting in that line. My goal was to get in and out of Best Buy as quickly as possible. I knew exactly what I wanted and it still took me about 10 minutes to find a salesperson to unlock the cage so that I could just pay for my item and be on my merry way.
post #49 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Well by getting the facts you are able to make factual statements. Otherwise you look like a tool.

Look for facts in post #47, which destroys the ignorant and boneheaded comments made by your buddy slapppy.
post #50 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Look for facts in post #47, which destroys the ignorant and boneheaded comments made by your buddy slapppy.

One factual statement does not overide a handful if ignorant statements. Thats a life leasson, feel free to use it.

As for facts, all that statement shows is that Android went from nearly 0% online purchases last year to 5% this year, solidifying what is already well known, Android is rapidly growing and outpacing everything in its path. Regardless the reason, it is still doing it. Delusional assumptions about cheap phones, poor people or whatever else doesnt erase that fact. At its current pace Android is going to envelope everything which does noone any good.
post #51 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Would you please cut it out. I am a huge Apple fan but your bigoted anti-Android crusade is over the top and makes Apple product users look bad. And I'm sure I speak for most die-hard Apple fans and AI members.

Actually you don't speak for me. His commentary is flipping' hilarious, taken in the proper context, is a welcome counter to some of the Anti-apple cum Fandroids on this site.

Why don't you rag on Hellafool, Slappy, and AbsoluteDesignz? Their anti-Apple attitude is just as annoying if not more so.
post #52 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Little boy crying wolf again?

It is a valid point. Can you counter it? I know name calling is a form of counter but this is not middle school. Why didnt the author break the numbers down? This is the second article here that did this. Just lump them together and post as news? Regardless what the numbers are, if you are going to lump them together what is the point? That WP7 did horrible?
post #53 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I'm just pointing out the obvious to folks. This report for instance is so misleading, I have to laugh at the futile attempt to hide the truth. Android has clearly won and iOS will be marginalized just like Mac OS to under 5% worldwide.

You have to be a moron to think a platform "wins" by just looking at unit sales. There are many other elements that make a platform successful; customer satisfaction, 3rd party accessories, developer support, timely OS updates.

The real facts are that Android has only found success in the mobile phone market, mainly due to the fact that most of those devices are given away for free. There isn't a healthy consumer relationship with the platform where customers are willing to spend money. As companies move all their "feature" phones to semi-smart Android based phones, we will see significant jumps in Android's market share. But just as feature-phones currently don't impact Apple, neither will these cheap Android phones.

You're seriously delusional if you think Apple selling 150-200 million iOS devices yearly won't mean a thing if they only end up with 5% market share.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #54 of 107
I encourage everyone to back up with their viewpoints in their investment decisions. Put your money where your mouth is

If you truly believe Apple is going to lose, then you should short the company. You owe it to yourself to make some money from your passionate argument

And vis versa

So, Slappy, don't comment on top of my questions with this hyperbole crap if you're not short Apple

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #55 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Define real?

Makes phone calls - Check
Internet connectivity - Check
Email - Check
SMS - Check

Seems many phones fall into what I would consider real, what do you consider real?

Bonuses for Android Phones:

Regular updates - <sound of crickets>
Compatible with next major version of the OS - <tumbleweed rolls by>
Infected - <cough>
Covered by great customer service in case of a problem - Fuggetaboutit!
post #56 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Actually you don't speak for me. His commentary is flipping' hilarious, taken in the proper context, is a welcome counter to some of the Anti-apple cum Fandroids on this site.

Why don't you rag on Hellafool, Slappy, and AbsoluteDesignz? Their anti-Apple attitude is just as annoying if not more so.

Where have I been anti Apple?
post #57 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I see someone had already replied, but without a reference.

According to an interview with the two developer brothers it has to do with potential piracy concerns rather than any hardware/software limitations with Android. Of course with Infinity Blade available "at a discount" to jailbroken iPhones it does make you wonder if there might be other influences as well.
http://androidcommunity.com/infinity...erns-20111125/

When you pump out devices that frequently have issues just scrolling smoothly through their own UI it gets a little hard to believe that a graphics intensive game like IB2 isn't available purely because of piracy concerns...
post #58 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacooler View Post

Seconded.

Keep speaking your opinion.

I, for one, agree with you.

Keep it thermonuclear!

Like you, I found Apple][ entertaining at first but you'll get tired of all of the one-sided ravings. That and one of these: after practically every one of his sentences.

I use Windows PCs and a Macs at my business for work and have a MBP and iMacs at home because I prefer the Mac. I've used Android extensively but own a iP4 because I prefer Apple's SW/HW integration. Just because I prefer Apple's products over everything else available doesn't mean that everything else sucks and the people who use those produts are cheap, finically challenged morons. That's just an ignorant statement.
You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #59 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

You have to be a moron to think a platform "wins" by just looking at unit sales. There are many other elements that make a platform successful; customer satisfaction, 3rd party accessories, developer support, timely OS updates.

The real facts are that Android has only found success in the mobile phone market, mainly due to the fact that most of those devices are given away for free. There isn't a healthy consumer relationship with the platform where customers are willing to spend money. As companies move all their "feature" phones to semi-smart Android based phones, we will see significant jumps in Android's market share. But just as feature-phones currently don't impact Apple, neither will these cheap Android phones.

You're seriously delusional if you think Apple selling 150-200 million iOS devices yearly won't mean a thing if they only end up with 5% market share.

It's disheartening how folks react when reality is presented to them. Calling me a "moron" means nothing to me, as all it does is invalidate your post. I simply stated the future of iOS based on facts today. It's not difficult to grasp or come to that conclision. Wait till Q1 numbers are presented and what I have been stating will come to fruition.
post #60 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


your bigoted anti-Android crusade is over the top and makes Apple product users look bad.



Google hires people to go on forums and pose as Apple fans to make Apple look bad. Could that be the explanation?
post #61 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post



Funny thing, on other sites, people discuss best apps for 2011, game reviews, fun stuff. Over here at AI it's sales, sales, sales.


..


Be fair. Around here, there's lots more topics of discussion. One popular topic, for example, is how the vast majority of smartphone owners are horrible people because they don't choose Apple products.
post #62 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My eyes work just fine, but I prefer not to get too close to grumpy looking people standing in a line, waiting to return their unwanted products. Why would I possibly want to speak to such people, let alone get close to them?

It is highly unlikely that any of them were returning any Apple devices, and it is reasonable to conclude that they're not my kind of people, so it would be a waste of my time. I have no time for ignorant people.

Assuming that grumpy looking people are non-Apple users is just plain ignorant. Not taking 2 seconds to see what products were being returned but stating that it's highly unlikely that they were returning Apple products (because they looked grumpy) is, again, ignorant. I'm not asking you to change, just turn it down and be a little more fair and less judgmental. How can you possibly call someone you've never met an idiot just because he doesn't use the same smartphone as you?
You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #63 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacooler View Post

When you pump out devices that frequently have issues just scrolling smoothly through their own UI it gets a little hard to believe that a graphics intensive game like IB2 isn't available purely because of piracy concerns...

So instead of taking the developers word for it, you will inject your own opinion and carry it as fact? You will fit right in around here.
post #64 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Easy, common sense is not allowed. Remember, many around here directly relate their achievements with the products they own so pointing out anything that remotely paints a negative picture of said products is an assualt on them personally.


It is easy to improve one's station in life: Buy an Apple product and show it off on the subway ride. Use white headphones, even though they sound like crap.
post #65 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Assuming that grumpy looking people are non-Apple users is just plain ignorant. Not taking 2 seconds to see what products were being returned but stating that it's highly unlikely that they were returning Apple products (because they looked grumpy) is, again, ignorant. I'm not asking you to change, just turn it down and be a little more fair and less judgmental. How can you possibly call someone you've never met an idiot just because he doesn't use the same smartphone as you?

It has little to do with them looking grumpy looking, though I do believe that in general, most Android users are of a lower stature, and this will also be reflected in their overall appearance.

My opinions are rooted in facts and statistical analysis. Look up the satisfaction rates of Apple customers compared to the competition. I have scientific data which certainly backs up the claim that an Android person is far more likely to return their phone compared to a person with an Apple device, since Apple users are far more satisfied with their products.

Apple tops in customer satisfaction for 8th year

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...-for-8th-year/
post #66 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It has little to do with them looking grumpy looking, though I do believe that in general, most Android users are of a lower stature, and this will also be reflected in their overall appearance.

My opinions are rooted in facts and statistical analysis. Look up the satisfaction rates of Apple customers compared to the competition. I have scientific data which certainly backs up the claim that an Android person is far more likely to return their phone compared to a person with an Apple device, since they are far less satisfied with their products.

Thats funny. Prove it. I know the only opinion you can form is based on other peoples opinions but would love to see your scientific, side by side proof. YOu have already shown that you state fact based on assumption, whats next? A spin wheel? Tarrot cards? Dice? Spin the bottle?
post #67 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple tops in customer satisfaction for 8th year

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...-for-8th-year/

PS:

Android does not make a PC. Nice try with the link though. Anyone elses opinions you want to pass as your own? In that survey HP placed 2nd. Didnt read anything in there about customers returning their phones though or was that another one of your assumptions?

Any links to surveys about customers returning their Android products? There must be, you claim to have scientific proof.

Here is a link for you:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20...action-survey/

From your link, sort of kills your scientific proof. Bottom line is I do not need surveys, studies or facts to choose my products, nor do I look down upon people with things different than me. I use what works. I love my iPad and I love my Android phone. I really love my Windows 7 machine and sort of like my wifes iMac. This is all based on me actually using these products.
post #68 of 107
I just deleted a crap load of childish, off-topic drivel and given Apple ][ an infraction for trolling. Please pull yourselves together and at least make some attempt to make well-reasoned posts founded in facts and logic, otherwise what's the point? If you just want to stand around calling each other names, do it somewhere else.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #69 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

PS:

Any links to surveys about customers returning their Android products? There must be, you claim to have scientific proof.

iPhone Tops U.S. Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Survey

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple...action-survey/
post #70 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Android has clearly won and iOS will be marginalized just like Mac OS to under 5% worldwide.

iOS already has much lower market share than Android (when it comes to phones) but:

1.) Takes the majority of the smartphone market's profits and
2.) Provides the most income to developers (by far).

This means that the platform is secure and if it did fall to a 5% worldwide share, it would not be marginalized. As long as 1.) and 2.) are true, what does iOS's market share matter to Apple or iOS users?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #71 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

iPhone Tops U.S. Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Survey

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple...action-survey/

I missed the part where all the individuals in the survey ran out and returned their phones. Have a link to that? You claim scientific proof but yet have not produced it.
post #72 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I just deleted a crap load of childish, off-topic drivel and given Apple ][ an infraction for trolling. Please pull yourselves together and at least make some attempt to make well-reasoned posts founded in facts and logic, otherwise what's the point? If you just want to stand around calling each other names, do it somewhere else.

So you give me an infraction for trolling, when it is other people who make personal attacks against me, while I don't even respond in kind with any personal attacks?

And I post links containing facts in many of my posts to back up my points.

Well, I will clearly have to find another Apple forum where I can freely speak my mind. It was fun while it lasted. Cyu all.

post #73 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

.... I do believe that in general, most Android users are of a lower stature....


To say that.....is just disgusting. Bigoted and disgusting. You must be a member of the more superior, caucasian race, too, I suppose.
You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #74 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

it is other people who make personal attacks against me

Which gives you no leave to respond in kind

Quote:
while I don't even respond in kind with any personal attacks?

No, just trolling comments and obvious lies. Nothing fancy, sure.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #75 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So you give me an infraction for trolling, when it is other people who make personal attacks against me, while I don't even respond in kind with any personal attacks?

And I post links containing facts in many of my posts to back up my points.

Well, I will clearly have to find another Apple forum where I can freely speak my mind. It was fun while it lasted. Cyu all.


Personal attacks earn the poster infractions. Trolling earns the poster infractions. You were trolling, you got an infraction. Deal with it, then either choose to grow up and elevate the level of your posts, or go somewhere else.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #76 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So you give me an infraction for trolling, when it is other people who make personal attacks against me, while I don't even respond in kind with any personal attacks?

And I post links containing facts in many of my posts to back up my points.

Well, I will clearly have to find another Apple forum where I can freely speak my mind. It was fun while it lasted. Cyu all.


Before you tuck tail and quit, I am still seeking the links to the scientific proof you have that Android customers are so disatisfied with their purchases that they are returning them in droves. Then you can quit.
post #77 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So you give me an infraction for trolling, when it is other people who make personal attacks against me, while I don't even respond in kind with any personal attacks?

And I post links containing facts in many of my posts to back up my points.

Well, I will clearly have to find another Apple forum where I can freely speak my mind. It was fun while it lasted. Cyu all.


Dude, for cryin' out loud......I wan't personally attacking you. I was just asking you to be a little more balanced and less bigoted. What you say about others who don't use Apple products is just harsh and wrong to say.
You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #78 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Before you tuck tail and quit, I am still seeking the links to the scientific proof you have that Android customers are so disatisfied with their purchases that they are returning them in droves. Then you can quit.

He is making the conclusion that since Apple customers are so satisfied, therefore, Android customers are not....so....they must be returning them! [insult removed] this is not the way most Apple users think.
You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #79 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

He is making the conclusion that since Apple customers are so satisfied, therefore, Android customers are not....so....they must be returning them! [insult removed] that is not the way most Apple users think.

Oooooooh, so that is how scientists do it /s He said scientific proof so I could only conclude that there was studies out there that he was privy too that demonstrated the scientific process and was hoping he would share.
post #80 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

iOS already has much lower market share than Android (when it comes to phones) but:

1.) Takes the majority of the smartphone market's profits and
2.) Provides the most income to developers (by far).

This means that the platform is secure and if it did fall to a 5% worldwide share, it would not be marginalized. As long as 1.) and 2.) are true, what does iOS's market share matter to Apple or iOS users?

High profits is like a flash in the pan metaphor. It will give you an early advantage, but for the long haul, your profits will simply dwindle. Market share will win out. Apple own history has proven this fact with its Macintosh OS and hardware ( niche market, high profits, higher software cost ). It was hugely successful in the short term, yet today it's still below 5% worldwide. It really hasn't gained much in 27 plus years and will stagnate again. iOS is following the same path.

Really the point of this thread is the misleading report to why these researchers are bundling these numbers with Android and iOS. It's wrong. It should be segregated, even if the facts show the true declining numbers of iOS activations.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS, Android activations surge 353% on record setting Christmas Day