or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS, Android activations surge 353% on record setting Christmas Day
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS, Android activations surge 353% on record setting Christmas Day - Page 3

post #81 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, I will clearly have to find another Apple forum where I can freely speak my mind. It was fun while it lasted. Cyu all.



Please stay right here. You are a big reason why I participate on AI.
post #82 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

High profits is like a flash in the pan metaphor. It will give you an early advantage, but for the long haul, your profits will simply dwindle. Market share will win out. Apple own history has proven this fact with its Macintosh OS and hardware ( niche market, high profits, higher software cost ). It was hugely successful in the short term, yet today it's still below 5% worldwide. It really hasn't gained much in 27 plus years and will stagnate again. iOS is following the same path.

The Mac was never as successful as iOS is now, I think it would be a mistake to try to use the history with the Macintosh to predict the future of iOS vs. Android.

In any case, I did explicitly say that profits for Apple and income for developers are the key numbers here; would you not agree that as long as these are the case, the market share number is insignificant?

Profit means Apple still has incentive to invest in the platform and income for developers means developers produce their apps for the platform. Surely these are the only two things that matter when it comes to determining whether a platform is marginalised or not?

The current state of the market proves that market share is not necessary to have good profits or provide income for developers.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #83 of 107
Well, it's not scientific proof, but a walk through my local mall containing an Apple store had a Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T store at about normal 'Tuesday afternoon' levels, and a roped line set up for getting into the Apple store. The Apple store had a specific checkout area set up that had a fairly long line (15-20 people) waiting to check out.

I tried and tried, but my local store must not have the 'Easy Pay' option, as I had to replace my wife's headphones and was stuck in that line.

It was obvious to me who was shifting merchandise, even 2 days after Christmas.
post #84 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

As to your point, valid point. It seems very misleading. Like saying Apple and Microsoft have 99% of the desktop market or Apple and Samsung have 85% of the tablet market, very misleading. Maybe these news sites fear the back lash of Applebots or Fandroids?

Or maybe these news sites are just reporting the story that Flurry released ?
post #85 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

High profits is like a flash in the pan metaphor. It will give you an early advantage, but for the long haul, your profits will simply dwindle. Market share will win out. Apple own history has proven this fact with its Macintosh OS and hardware ( niche market, high profits, higher software cost ). It was hugely successful in the short term, yet today it's still below 5% worldwide. It really hasn't gained much in 27 plus years and will stagnate again. iOS is following the same path.

Let's go ahead and make your post rational and truthful....

High [marketshare] is like a flash in the pan metaphor. It will give you an early advantage, but for the long haul, your [marketshare] will simply dwindle [if you can't support your market position with profits]. [Profits] will win out. Apple own history has proven this fact with its [Mac, iPod, iPhone and iPad]. [Each is] hugely successful in [their market categories, and lead each industry] worldwide. [They have proven this] much in 27 plus years and will [prove it] again. iOS is following the same path.[/QUOTE]

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #86 of 107
not breaking out these numbers tells me exactly nothing useful, even assuming the numbers quoted here are even remotely accurate.
post #87 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, I will clearly have to find another Apple forum where I can freely speak my mind. It was fun while it lasted. Cyu all.

You won't be missed by me.
post #88 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Personal attacks earn the poster infractions. Trolling earns the poster infractions. You were trolling, you got an infraction. Deal with it, then either choose to grow up and elevate the level of your posts, or go somewhere else.

If trolling earns a poster infractions then why the hell are a number of regular posters still here who have never posted a single positive comment about Apple on an Apple forum, or conceded to a single point in the many arguments presented to them? Did the moderators not see those few hundred posts?

And let's not mention them working together in packs against single posters.

It seems the singling out of Apple ][ was grossly unwarranted.

Is it time for the rest of us to go, and just leave this forum to the trolls?
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #89 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Best Buy had a deal that you could get a free iPhone 4 free with a 2 year activation. Doesn't get any cheaper than that. I remember SJ saying that free phones are free because thats all they are worth.

Those were 32GB iPhone 4s. Those aren't not phones Apple sells. The only iPhone 4 Apple sells are 8GB models. I bet those were product BestBuy misplaced or some distributor sold to BestBuy at a low price because of some situation where they didn't sell them back in the Autumn which is why this deal was only come out in the day before Christmas.

Also, there is word that stores starting allowing the iPhone 4S to be BOGO because many didn't have this obsolesced model and they feared a bait and switch lawsuit, though I don't see how when they clearly advertised the iPhone 4 sans the 'S' at 32GB. If it's true then some people got great deals and BestBuy lost money per sale.

"We can confirm that this was intended to be only for the iPhone 4. Best Buy created chaos this morning by issuing this nation-wide offer, despite many/most stores being depleted of 32GB original iPhone 4 units. Some stores began honoring the deal for the 4S, as droves of customers began filling the Best Buy Mobile kiosks, fearing a bait-and-switch complaint.

Best Buy has begun to alert stores, and we are now seeing this curtailed to just the original iPhone 4 at a national level. In Best Buys defense, the retailer was caught off-guard with a large supply of original 32GB units that became obsolete when all original iPhone 4 units were discontinued, and an 8GB iPhone 4 replaced them alongside the iPhone 4S."

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #90 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

It's disheartening how folks react when reality is presented to them. Calling me a "moron" means nothing to me, as all it does is invalidate your post. I simply stated the future of iOS based on facts today. It's not difficult to grasp or come to that conclision. Wait till Q1 numbers are presented and what I have been stating will come to fruition.

Reality? Really? What reality? You've made a prediction. That is not reality. It's speculation. It means nothing. Furthermore I didn't call you a moron. You made that assumption yourself based off the fact that you do ONLY look at market share numbers as if nothing else makes or breaks a platform. Yes, Android is growing faster, that is inevitable... you'd really have to be a moron not to predict that was going to happen - you're not as smart as you think you are. Your entire argument is flawed because you think that low market share equates to a dying a platform, which is absurd. Apple's sales have doubled year over year - IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THEIR MARKET SHARE IS - THEY ARE STILL SELLING MORE DEVICES AND MAKING MORE MONEY. That's the bottom line and something you can't seem to grasp.

Here are the facts presented in the report...

1. 1.5 million mobile device activations for each day of December (this includes media players and tablets as well as smart phones)

2. Last week Andy Rubin said they were at a rate of 700,000 activations per day (this includes media players and tablets as well as smart phones)

3. That leaves 800,000 non-Android devices. I'm willing to bet a majority of those devices were iOS (iPhone, iPad and iPod touch), since we all know how well the rest of the industry is doing.

I'd also wager that a vast majority of those Christmas day numbers reported in the article were iOS devices, not Android. Apple sells millions of iPod touches and millions of iPads during the holiday season.

Here's my no-brainer prediction, Apple will sell more iOS devices this quarter than any other quarter in their history.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #91 of 107
I know that apple is making the lions share of the profits now. But that is not going to be a permanent thing. I think apple is aware of this also. Apple is in bubble and it will POP. This is not a industry where the competition will lie down and let apple continue to make those profits. Consider this, if apple releases the iPad 3 in the next quarter and the iPad has some huge flaw, they will lose billions and not only will they lose money but the most valuable thing they have: Consumer Confidence. If people start to lose confidence in apple then it will be completely downhill as the competition will swarm like locust to eat the left overs. Apple due to their single product strategy, based mainly on Consumer Confidence, if they lose that confidence the pedestal will crumble.

And Samsung is just waiting for that to happen.

Just my honest opinion. Do I think it will happen? Not any time soon. Do I think apples profits will be like this forever? No.
post #92 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You may be at a loss for words, but you can't really argue with facts and logic.

Android customers lack the ability and the will to pay for stuff. They are cheapskates and they have a freeloading OWS type of mentality which ultimately affects the entire Android platform.


I am a big Apple fan and just want to say that Apple ]['s opinions and comments are Apple ]['s own and DO NOT represent the viewpoint of a vast majority of Apple users of any product. If Apple ][ appears to be a pompous ass that is because [insult removed]. Fortunately Apple ]['s opinion is a personal opinion as Apple has not appointed Apple ][ as a spokesperson.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #93 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

"How I see it"....and...."the truth" do not belong in the same sentence. How you see it is your opinion so keep it as such. Stop spewing and pontificating like what you say is actually truth. It's your opinion and nothing else. You'd be embraced by more Apple fans and have better, more constructive debates if you wouldn't be so frigging extreme and constantly badmouth users of any other platform or OS other than Apple's. What you do is no better or different than trolling. C'mon, dude, just tone it down a notch, please. We like your message and cause, just not your method and style.

I doubt you've gotten very many PMs from any or many of the long-time regularly posting/contributing members and mavens of this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, I can't please everybody, but my style and method can not be changed, because that's who I am.

Doesn't say a whole lot of good things about you.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #94 of 107
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/28/2...istmas-weekend

tldr; Rubin Claims 3.7m Android Activations. Flurry Notes 6.8m Activations.

ie. Android took more than half the activations. Much more.
post #95 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Or maybe these news sites are just reporting the story that Flurry released ?

You are correct. I searched everywhere and the only numbers out there are the Flurry ones. No individual break down. So the question is why? 6.8 Million is a stellar number but why not break it down? Maybe wait until the New Year, get all of December in.
post #96 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

... Apple due to their single product strategy, based mainly on Consumer Confidence, if they lose that confidence the pedestal will crumble.
...

Ahem, confidence in what?
I'll answer that for you: confidence in a great product!

J.
post #97 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

You are correct. I searched everywhere and the only numbers out there are the Flurry ones. No individual break down. So the question is why? 6.8 Million is a stellar number but why not break it down? Maybe wait until the New Year, get all of December in.

So just another knee-jerk reaction from someone who didn't check the source. OK.
post #98 of 107
https://twitter.com/#%21/Arubin/stat...18325260226561

"UPDATE: There were 3.7M Android devices activated on 12/24 and 12/25."

6.8m -3.7m mean 3.1m iOS devices were activated. 54.4% Android 45.6% iOS.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #99 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

https://twitter.com/#%21/Arubin/stat...18325260226561

"UPDATE: There were 3.7M Android devices activated on 12/24 and 12/25."

6.8m -3.7m mean 3.1m iOS devices were activated. 54.4% Android 45.6% iOS.

I think Flurry depends on a different method to count activations and I have no idea on their accuracy, thus the numbers won't be interchangeable between the two sources.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #100 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Ahem, confidence in what?
I'll answer that for you: confidence in a great product!

J.

Did you read my post, I know apple makes great products now. But if a flop where to occur if could be devastating for them.
post #101 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Did you read my post, I know apple makes great products now. But if a flop where to occur if could be devastating for them.

No single device failure would ruin Apple.

Having said that, if they DO release an HDTV, it would be a failure and everyone would crawl out of the woodwork and claim that 'Apple without Jobs is doomed', despite whatever (remember, hypothetical) solution they had come up with was Jobs' idea in the first place.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #102 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No single device failure would ruin Apple.

Having said that, if they DO release an HDTV, it would be a failure and everyone would crawl out of the woodwork and claim that 'Apple without Jobs is doomed', despite whatever (remember, hypothetical) solution they had come up with was Jobs' idea in the first place.

It would hurt how consumers think of them. And if you notice that is the most power full thing apple has going for them. Consumer perception that the apple product is superior without asking questions. If they stumble it will mean more consumers will stop making an iDevice their first choice and look in to comparable products (like for instance the GSIII).
post #103 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

It would hurt how consumers think of them. And if you notice that is the most power full thing apple has going for them.

Oh, right; absolutely.

Quote:
If they stumble it will mean more consumers will stop making an iDevice their first choice and look in to comparable products (like for instance the GSIII).

Provided it's an iDevice on which they stumble, but of course, that's the topic of this thread.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #104 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

https://twitter.com/#%21/Arubin/stat...18325260226561

"UPDATE: There were 3.7M Android devices activated on 12/24 and 12/25."

6.8m -3.7m mean 3.1m iOS devices were activated. 54.4% Android 45.6% iOS.

Another average joe who didn't read the article!

"iOS, Android activations surge 353% on record setting Christmas Day "
post #105 of 107
[off-topic posts deleted]
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #106 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's another perspective:






Holiday Gifts Drive Apple iOS 12x Higher; Android Leads in More Countries

Does anyone notice that Japan and China X'mas is not a holiday (just a regular weekend). I suspect India is the same. To compare Holiday world wide including the countries that is NOT really on holiday is meaningless. Am I missing something?
post #107 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st View Post

Does anyone notice that Japan and China X'mas is not a holiday (just a regular weekend). I suspect India is the same. To compare Holiday world wide including the countries that is NOT really on holiday is meaningless. Am I missing something?

I don't think it's meaningless. It seems to show a clear demarcation of what countries celebrate Christmas the most or not at all. While there are Christians in every country not all of them celebrate Christmas and there are non-Christians that do celebrate Christmas, though the latter seems to be more of a cultural doing based on their residence within certain countries. Regardless, this type of metric is very valid. I certainly won't be promoting Christmas sales in Japan or China next year.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS, Android activations surge 353% on record setting Christmas Day