or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple could collect $10 for every Android device sold, expert says

Apple could collect $10 for every Android device sold, expert says - Page 5

post #161 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

the idea of a touch screen phone. Have you never heard of an iPaq? I was making calls on a touch screen iPaq in 2003. Funny, apple even copied naming convention from compaq.

Do you know the difference between a touch screen and the old screens which require a stylus? The iPac didn't use a touch screen.
post #162 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

MULTI-TOUCH!!!

Besides the Apple Newton predates the iPaq by many years.

well, the newton wasn't making phone calls now was it?
post #163 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In the '50s, Honeywell invented the automatic camera strobe whereby the amount of light was regulated by the distance. A pretty simple thing. But back then, their way was the only practical way to do it. A cell measured the light, and a resistor (basically) drained the capacitor when the required amount of light had hit the subject. So simple, it seems obvious. But, of course, no one had thought of it except a couple of engineers within Honeywell, so, obviously, it wasn't obvious.

Yeah. No. This is not obvious, and is obviously patentable.

Quote:

These days, people think that everyone is entitled to what others come up with, and they want it NOW. .

No, I don't believe that is what people think. I belive people think that, for example, trying to say a Galaxy Tab looks too much like a iPad is just an attempt to stifle legitimate competition.

I mean come on, Apple is copying Android as much as Android is copying Apple. If you don't see this you aren't being honest with yourself.
post #164 of 214
Quote:

No, I don't believe that is what people think.

And you have a right to think that. Doesn't make it right, but you have the right to think it.

Quote:
I mean come on, Apple is copying Android as much as Android is copying Apple.

That's obscenely subjective and erring on the side of totally wrong.

Quote:
If you don't see this you aren't being honest with yourself.

Let's see. Apple "didn't" have notifications before iOS 5's Notification Center that looks like Android's similar thing.

While on the other hand, Android looked and operated like the BlackBerry OS before the iPhone came out. And now look at it.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #165 of 214
Microsoft is doing it and Apple should do so too. Apple won't be able to win every patent dispute but if they could get $10 for almost every Android handset that is money they could use to compete against Android with, win-win.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #166 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd say they are failing if you look at the total history of MS where they were and where they are now. Businesses are either improving, standing still or declining and by almost every metric MS doing really well at the last category.

Their growth has slowed down, so they are no longer considered a growth company. The slowdown will continue. But they are still doing well, by most metrics. They must divest themselves of things that are doing poorly and will never do well, such as search, and areas in which they shouldn't be, such as entertainment.

At some point, they will need to recognize that their business is business, and not consumer products. Some people poi t out that the XBox is on top now, but it's just 2% of their business, insignificant. They will never come close to regaining the $9 billion in losses it generated along with the rest of their entertainment division (now part of another division).

The same thing with Bing, though it's generating losses at a more rapid rate than entertainment ever did, with no chance of ever making a profit. They were very luck that Jerry Yang is such a poor businessman that he refused to sell Yahoo to Ms at such an inflated price. If that happened, Ms would be writing off billions in goodwill.

MS still has a lot of good years ahead. There's a reason for that. It's because software companies can rip off their customers, while hardware companies have a much harder time of it. I've always found it amusing that while Apple's 41% gross margin and their 24% net arouses calls of ripoff, but MS's 76% gross and 33% net doesn't.

Why are software companies allowed to overcharge so much without much complaint? They take less risk, and get much higher returns. If Ms didn't lose som much on other businesses, those margins would be even higher. It's those margins that allow them to take huge losses for years when other companies would have had to abandon the losing business years before.

This is really a use of monopoly profits to drive companies in other areas of business to their knees, though the courts don't recognize it as such.

It's this high margin that will allow them to hold on for a long while to come, and give them a chance to reorganize their business when they finally see they must.
post #167 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And you have a right to think that. Doesn't make it right, but you have the right to think it.

That's obscenely subjective and erring on the side of totally wrong.

Let's see. Apple "didn't" have notifications before iOS 5's Notification Center that looks like Android's similar thing.

While on the other hand, Android looked and operated like the BlackBerry OS before the iPhone came out. And now look at it.

Siri is a direct copy of google voice, for example. I don't doubt that Apple will try to implement widgets of some sort at some point.

I don't think Android is really that much like iOS except in ways that are pretty much standard to phones and existed in other phones before. I don't think they look the same. Android is widgets and customizable and so much more. There are a lot of reasons people are buying android phones. Certainly, some go Android because they can get a phone for free. Some buy for 3d videos/displays. Some buy to customize. Some buy because it has bigger screens. Some buy for physical keyboards. Some buy because they don't like being tied in to Apple.

Apple is just trying to trip up Android mfgs. on things like bounce at end of list, or ability to click and call a number. These things are not why people are buying Android. It is just an attempt to use small technicalities to limit competition. It is ridiculous.
post #168 of 214
Quote:

Siri is a direct copy of google voice, for example.

Sure it is.

Quote:
Apple is just trying to trip up Android mfgs. on things like bounce at end of list, or ability to click and call a number. These things are not why people are buying Android. It is just an attempt to use small technicalities to limit competition. It is ridiculous.

post #169 of 214
Quote:

Do you know the difference between a touch screen and the old screens which require a stylus? The iPac didn't use a touch screen.

It certainly did use a touch screen. I dialed numbers with my finger. No stylus required.
post #170 of 214
Quote:

What doesn't matter?

You do realized the original iPaq predates iPod. Check your dates. I didn't say 2003 was the original date of the iPaq, just that I was using one in 2003. Also, it seems quite relevant to many of the comments on this thread, showing pictures of phones with keyboards and saying iPhone was some new paradigm. It certainly popularized the concept, as most felt a physical keyboard was necessary, but it wasn't the first. I do recall many people at the time complaining that there was no physical keyboard.

Ok, let's straighten this out.

The iPod came out in 2001.

The iPaq Personal Assistant, named after the legacy free iPaq computer from Compaq, came out around 2000.

The iPaq legacy computer from Compaq came out in late 1999 - 2000.

The iMac, the first legacy free computer, came out in 1998.
post #171 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure it is.

Yeah, you laugh, but it is an iteration of a feature that already existed in Android. Now, there were refinements, but the basic idea and functioning is the same.

I have been using voice control to set alarms, dictate emails, txts, and search, etc. long before siri was released.

Obviously, apple saw that and decided it was a good feature to implement. But of course you only see things one way.
post #172 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

You're comparing "method for detailing and outlining a movie" with an actual finished movie. If I wrote an awesome space opera. First of it's kind. And you write one after I do, obviously inspired from my work but nonetheless different you did not STEAL my work or even copy it.

Well, that depends. The owner of the copyrights has all rights to the original work and ALL work derived from it, except for satire, and a few other limited uses.
post #173 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Your position on the ipaq and iPhone. Yes touchscreen phones existed pre-iphone but they were different. Hardly comparable except for some details.

The iPhone represented a paradigm shift. A reluctant one apparently since Apple apparently doesn't like that they shifted the entire industry.

They weren't touch phones. You may think its semantics, but it isn't. It took a couple of years for other phone manufacturers to come up with useful touch phones after Apple did. Befor the iPhone, restive screens were used. You should know that.

A problem that I'm finding is that even some web sites are using touch screen to mean resistive screens that require a stylus. That's not a touchscreen. A touchscreen requires no pressure at all.
post #174 of 214
Quote:

But of course you only see things one way.

Yeah, this argument is over. You refuse to acknowledge inherent differences in tech and, well, only see it YOUR way: Google's. It's laughable to say that Siri is anything like Google Voice.

post #175 of 214
Quote:

Siri is a direct copy of google voice, for example. I don't doubt that Apple will try to implement widgets of some sort at some point.

I don't think Android is really that much like iOS except in ways that are pretty much standard to phones and existed in other phones before. I don't think they look the same. Android is widgets and customizable and so much more. There are a lot of reasons people are buying android phones. Certainly, some go Android because they can get a phone for free. Some buy for 3d videos/displays. Some buy to customize. Some buy because it has bigger screens. Some buy for physical keyboards. Some buy because they don't like being tied in to Apple.

You are so wrong about Siri it is painful. Siri is not voice recognition, it is AI.

The rest of your post is just jibberish, get a life.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #176 of 214
Quote:

well, the newton wasn't making phone calls now was it?

Well, you could dial a number with the Newton, so...
post #177 of 214
Rickag, we understand that Siri isn't just voice recognition. Still doesn't mean that several prominent blogs haven't referred to it as voice recognition including AllThingsD, MacRumors, TechRadar and many others.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #178 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Rickag, we understand that Siri isn't just voice recognition. Still doesn't mean that several prominent blogs haven't referred to it as voice recognition including AllThingsD, MacRumors, TechRadar and many others.

THe Voice Recognition is really Nuance but since we're talking about Apple licensing Nuance for use in Siri we can say that Siri is Voice Recognition but we should end the description with just that single Siri aspect.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #179 of 214
Quote:

Yeah. No. This is not obvious, and is obviously patentable.

You're saying that, but to me, as someone who has designed a number of electronic devices, it does seem obvious, since it's easy for me to understand. The only reason why most inventions aren't obvious is because there are thousands of people working in an industry (at least), and it's just one, or a very few who come up with something new. I'm always reading people saying that some such invention is obvious. Sure, now that they know of it it is.

Quote:
No, I don't believe that is what people think. I belive people think that, for example, trying to say a Galaxy Tab looks too much like a iPad is just an attempt to stifle legitimate competition.

I mean come on, Apple is copying Android as much as Android is copying Apple. If you don't see this you aren't being honest with yourself.

Actually, it is what most people think. That why so much pirating goes on. If most people didn't think that way, they wouldn't steal other people's work. They would wait until they could buy it.

Companies are that way too. Google certainly is. They've taken from so many that it's hard to know where they started. They even stole from the Linux Foundation.

It's safe to say that if they hadn't, Android wouldn't be here today.

And there are design patents as well. Usually called "trade dress". This is just as legitimate as anything else. So when Samsung's lawyers couldn't tell which tablet was an iPad or a Tab from ten feet away when the judge held them both up, that's a pretty damning fact. One would expect that Samsung's own lawyers would be more familiar with both as that was the case they were being paid big bucks to refute. The average person on the street can be expected to be even less able to tell.

No, iOS isn't copying Android as much. don't try to condemn me because I don't agree with that. You're simply wrong.

There are some things that can only be done in a few ways, and so they are done one of those ways. So, let's take the example of notifications, which is one of the things you're obviously thinking of.

There are expected UI concerns, and also restrictions as to how something can be done because of what else is being done.

So Google has them sliding down from the top. now Apple has them sliding down from the top. a copy, right? Well, maybe. Some writers have jumped on this.

But why did Apple do it that way? Mostly because they had to.

If you swipe left, you run into the search screen, so Apple couldn't do that. If you swipe to the right, you run into more pages of apps, so Apple couldn't do that. It's considered to be unnatural to swipe up to get a screen, by convention, so Apple wouldn't want to do that. So what is left? Well, they can swipe from the top. But, but, Android does that, so they must be copying. Well, I guess they both read the same quidelines.

But Apple's notifications are much more sophisticated than Android's are now, so Apple went well beyond what Google had done. And now ICS, being designed to integrate phones and tablets is very different than either iOS or Android 2.x.

Likely iOS 6 will introduce more features, and change some things.

So we go round and round.
post #180 of 214
Quote:

This is total BS. Siri not is a copy of Google Voice. Google Voice is a very simple voice control system that needs specific commands to do a limited number of things. If you don't know the tech you're speaking about, don't talk about it at all.

Google is working on tech to compete with Siri, but it's not ready, and we don't know when it will be.

The same thing is true of MS. Their voice system is also primitive, but they're working on something better.

At some point there will be several competing systems. Apple has a big headstart. We'll see how those others do in competition a couple of years from now.
post #181 of 214
Quote:

Except that at least most of those sites do explain why it's much more than just voice recognition.

MS's tech, as well as Google's current tech is basicly just voice recognition, with the limited ability to act on a few wired in commands. Siri also parses what is being said after the voice recognition is finished.

Try asking a WP7 or Android phone:

"What's it like outside?", and see the response. It works on my 4S. There are a lot of questions and statements that Siri understands from parsing the sentence that the other systems haven't got a chance of understanding.
post #182 of 214
Quote:

They weren't touch phones. You may think its semantics, but it isn't. It took a couple of years for other phone manufacturers to come up with useful touch phones after Apple did. Befor the iPhone, restive screens were used. You should know that.

A problem that I'm finding is that even some web sites are using touch screen to mean resistive screens that require a stylus. That's not a touchscreen. A touchscreen requires no pressure at all.

OK, so if you want to restrict it to just a certain kind of touch screen, there is the LG Prada phone that predates iPhone using a capacitive touch screen.

I agee that Apple mainstreamed and popularized the touchscreen phone, I even bought a 1g iPhone because it WAS better than anything else available.

But because they mainstreamed and popularized the touchscreen phoneoesn't give them the right to prevent others from making them.
post #183 of 214
Quote:

Except that at least most of those sites do explain why it's much more than just voice recognition..

In this case you and I are on the same page. I completely agree it's much more than voice recognition, moving closer into the realm of AI.

Given another 5 years, the current crop of input, control and search features will look like the Dark Ages.
post #184 of 214
Quote:

You're saying that, but to me, as someone who has designed a number of electronic devices, it does seem obvious, since it's easy for me to understand. The only reason why most inventions aren't obvious is because there are thousands of people working in an industry (at least), and it's just one, or a very few who come up with something new. I'm always reading people saying that some such invention is obvious. Sure, now that they know of it it is.

Actually, it is what most people think. That why so much pirating goes on. If most people didn't think that way, they wouldn't steal other people's work. They would wait until they could buy it.

Companies are that way too. Google certainly is. They've taken from so many that it's hard to know where they started. They even stole from the Linux Foundation.

It's safe to say that if they hadn't, Android wouldn't be here today.

And there are design patents as well. Usually called "trade dress". This is just as legitimate as anything else. So when Samsung's lawyers couldn't tell which tablet was an iPad or a Tab from ten feet away when the judge held them both up, that's a pretty damning fact. One would expect that Samsung's own lawyers would be more familiar with both as that was the case they were being paid big bucks to refute. The average person on the street can be expected to be even less able to tell.

No, iOS isn't copying Android as much. don't try to condemn me because I don't agree with that. You're simply wrong.

There are some things that can only be done in a few ways, and so they are done one of those ways. So, let's take the example of notifications, which is one of the things you're obviously thinking of.

There are expected UI concerns, and also restrictions as to how something can be done because of what else is being done.

So Google has them sliding down from the top. now Apple has them sliding down from the top. a copy, right? Well, maybe. Some writers have jumped on this.

But why did Apple do it that way? Mostly because they had to.

If you swipe left, you run into the search screen, so Apple couldn't do that. If you swipe to the right, you run into more pages of apps, so Apple couldn't do that. It's considered to be unnatural to swipe up to get a screen, by convention, so Apple wouldn't want to do that. So what is left? Well, they can swipe from the top. But, but, Android does that, so they must be copying. Well, I guess they both read the same quidelines.

But Apple's notifications are much more sophisticated than Android's are now, so Apple went well beyond what Google had done. And now ICS, being designed to integrate phones and tablets is very different than either iOS or Android 2.x.

Likely iOS 6 will introduce more features, and change some things.

So we go round and round.

So it is, in your mind, ok for Apple to do that "because they had too" and the fact that you think the notifications are better make it ok.
post #185 of 214
Quote:

This is total BS. Siri not is a copy of Google Voice. Google Voice is a very simple voice control system that needs specific commands to do a limited number of things. If you don't know the tech you're speaking about, don't talk about it at all.

Google is working on tech to compete with Siri, but it's not ready, and we don't know when it will be.

The same thing is true of MS. Their voice system is also primitive, but they're working on something better.

At some point there will be several competing systems. Apple has a big headstart. We'll see how those others do in competition a couple of years from now.

But you see, Android had a voice input and control feature first, and Apple copied it. Did they make changes? Is it an improvement on existing tech? Yeah. So what are we arguing about? Are we saying shut down iOS becuase it copied an Android feature? Aguably much more important the the things apple claims adroid copied. Did google copyright voice control? How broad of a patent could have have?
post #186 of 214
Quote:

It certainly did use a touch screen. I dialed numbers with my finger. No stylus required.

By tapping. I used it too.
post #187 of 214
Quote:

OK, so if you want to restrict it to just a certain kind of touch screen, there is the LG Prada phone that predates iPhone using a capacitive touch screen.

Not the argument.

Quote:
But because they mainstreamed and popularized the touchscreen phoneoesn't give them the right to prevent others from making them.

Not in the slightest what they're doing.

post #188 of 214
Quote:

I agee that Apple mainstreamed and popularized the touchscreen phone, I even bought a 1g iPhone because it WAS better than anything else available.

You might have noticed that they aren't preventing anyone from using a real touchscreen. Not a single company is being threatened by Apple, or sued by Apple to prevent them from using a touchscreen. Please get it right.

What Apple is doing is trying to prevent companies from using a few features that Apple either invented themselves, or owns because they bought the company that invented them. Perfectly legitimate. Apple uses these features to distinguish their products. There is no reason why they should allow others to use them.

Prada, or at least one person there threatened to sue Apple, but that never happened. After all the Prada was first mentioned near the end of 2006, the first press release was AFTER Apple announced the iPhone, and Apple announced the iPhone in January of 2007. There was no time for Apple to copy anything.
post #189 of 214
Quote:

In this case you and I are on the same page. I completely agree it's much more than voice recognition, moving closer into the realm of AI.

Given another 5 years, the current crop of input, control and search features will look like the Dark Ages.

Things are REALLY getting interesting.
post #190 of 214
Quote:

So it is, in your mind, ok for Apple to do that "because they had too" and the fact that you think the notifications are better make it ok.

I see you can't really respond to the post.
post #191 of 214
Quote:

But you see, Android had a voice input and control feature first, and Apple copied it. Did they make changes? Is it an improvement on existing tech? Yeah. So what are we arguing about? Are we saying shut down iOS becuase it copied an Android feature? Aguably much more important the the things apple claims adroid copied. Did google copyright voice control? How broad of a patent could have have?

Oh please. Apple has had voice on their computers before Brin and Page went to junior high school.
post #192 of 214
Quote:

SIRI was an independent product before Apple bought it.
post #193 of 214
Quote:

Oh please. Apple has had voice on their computers before Brin and Page went to junior high school.

You're correct. Apple invested in voice recognition in 1990, anyone remember Plain Talk?

Apple introduced it in 1993. Did Android have voice recognition in 1993?

I can remember asking my Apple computer to tell me joke a long time ago.

Apple haters got to hate matter the facts.

Siri is AI already. Google Voice is a joke compared to Siri.
post #194 of 214
Quote:

Here's a MS TellMe vs Apple Siri Assist comparison:

TellMe vs Siri

and the classic

Microsoft Vista Speech Recognition Tested - Perl Scripting

Be sure and watch the whole thing -- it is hilarious!

Finally, one of the benefits of Siri is that it returns actual results whenever possible and offers a web search for choices as a fail-through of last resort.

Even if Google and Microsoft are able to match Siri's capabilities -- will they return results at the expense of not showing you the ads displayed when using their respective search engines? I don't think they will.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #195 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

TellMe vs Siri

and the classic

Finally, one of the benefits of Siri is that it returns actual results whenever possible and offers a web search for choices as a fail-through of last resort.

Even if Google and Microsoft are able to match Siri's capabilities -- will they return results at the expense of not showing you the ads displayed when using their respective search engines? I don't think they will.

Tell Me is just a joke. MS and Google's tech is just want Apple had before the Phone 4S with Siri.

I do love the 2nd video where it finally gets a command right after many frustrating attempts and he says thank you, which then causes it to write thank you on the screen. Despite all the issues it does show that the Voice Recognition in Vista or from his Perl Scripting is pretty good. It offers nothing of the other features Siri has to make a complete feature, but that single aspect seems like it was working well enough.

post #196 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

TellMe vs Siri

and the classic

I had seen the first one. It was declared by some to not be fair to Tellme. Well, gee, if fair only means that it would work then what would be the point to the test?

The second is interesting.
post #197 of 214
Quote:

You do realized the original iPaq predates iPod. Check your dates

And?
You do realize the iBook (Jul 99) and iMac (Aug 98) both predate the iPaq PDA (Apr 2000)?
Quote:
Funny, apple even copied naming convention from compaq.

Not funny at all since it is completely incorrect. How could Apple have copied Compaq when they had it before them? I don't think they had invented Time Machine yet...

iMac / iPaq.
Hmmm? Does kinda sound the same.
Maybe Compaq was onto something (like someone else's coat tails)?
post #198 of 214
I don't know - nuclear war is never a good idea so this should have been obvious from the get-go.

Yeah Google stole stuff, everyone knows it. But suing them isn't going to kill Android. Let them pay for it the sneaky way, the way MS does it - by blackmailing... err... licensing the valuable patents to the device makers.

I guess it's a matter of principle at Apple but in this one they should engage in realpolitik.
post #199 of 214
Quote:

Well, LG is a very large panel provider for Apple, and Sharp appears to be supplying panels for the iPad3, using a new, and better version of the LCD. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple moved to someone else for phones as well.

Samsung, of course, is a S. Korean company, as is Hon Hai, their main manufacturer. Apple indirectly employs hundreds of thousands of Chinese workers. The Chinese government isn't about to allow any of their companies to do anything stupid. The Chinese love Apple products, and the government even had a ceremony on Jobs' passing. Ours didn't. Perhaps they value Apple more there than we do here.

Apple isn't suing everyone, just a few companies. MS has threatened more companies than Apple has, and over 55% of Android makers are paying them royalties as a result, from their numbers. now, they're going after the rest.

Hon Hai aka Foxconn is Taiwanese. And there are historical reasons for "friction" between Japan and Korea.
post #200 of 214
Quote:

Apart from Apple introducing voice control in 2009 with the 3GS.

Then there was text to speech demonstrated at the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple could collect $10 for every Android device sold, expert says