or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's future iPhones & iPads could automatically personalize via face recognition

Apple's future iPhones & iPads could automatically personalize via face recognition - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

... the DOD/DHS "jerks" are far beyond this already, so Apple "sharing" this with them is a rather silly idea. They can do facial recognition from satellite already. I wouldn't be surprised if they have already implemented some form of advanced mobile device facial recognition as a part of advanced augmented reality functions. You are a day late and a dollar short my friend.

I mean to share the entire iOS user base and their activities with them, with biometric records naturally.
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yeah there is nothing secure about this when a photo could do the same thing.

I want security that requires me to be alive to use. This means no thumb print, retinal scan, rectal scan or voice recognition.

I think you pretty much have to be alive in order to speak.
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

From experience, if you have a beard, the ICS gimmick only works about 1 in 10 times.

Well that makes it useless for the slashdot crowd then. How's it work for the hipster crowd and their designer three day growths?
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I think you pretty much have to be alive in order to speak.

To speak... but not for your voice pattern to be recognized by a machine. We have the technology to record owns voice. I think we've had it for at least a few months now.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #45 of 58
Quote:

To speak... but not for your voice pattern to be recognized by a machine. We have the technology to record owns voice. I think we've had it for at least a few months now.

Record your own voice? Saying what?
post #46 of 58
Quote:

Record your own voice? Saying what?

Are you really this clueless about how voice recording works? It's simple... when you use a mic to record a voice it records what you are saying. Your phone also works this way. It records what you say, encodes it, then decodes it on the other end.

post #47 of 58
Quote:

Are you really this clueless about how voice recording works? It's simple... when you use a mic to record a voice it records what you are saying. Your phone also works this way. It records what you say, encodes it, then decodes it on the other end.

Interesting... Are you suggesting to use a pre-recording of someone's voice for identification?

Recording of someone's voice... saying what?

Clearly the computer would have you read a specific text in order for the ID to work. You can't feasibly have naturally sounding samples of any possible sentence.
post #48 of 58
Quote:

Interesting... Are you suggesting to use a pre-recording of someone's voice for identification?

Recording of someone's voice... saying what?

"Saying what?" You're asking what every possible phrase or word that someone might ever say that could be used to verify the identity to another party or device? Are you on crack?!

Scenario 1: You leave a voice mail on a phone that's turned off. You say "Hey, it's me. Call me back." How does the person know that is you? They recognize your voice.

Scenario 2: You hear a recording of your someone in your family you were close to but it no deceased. You know who it is right away. How did you know? You recognize the voice.

Both scenarios the person who left the message doesn't have to be present or alive, they simply have to have left a recording of their voice. Why are hung up on what one would say is beyond me. If you are looking for some John Edward type shit I'm not the person you should speak to.

Quote:
Clearly the computer would have you read a specific text in order for the ID to work. You can't feasibly have naturally sounding samples of any possible sentence.

And if it's a specific text then you have to assume that text was spoken before. That means if the text was recorded then you can use that recording to trick the system. You can also use partials to create the full text well enough to trick the system. My question to you is how does it know you are not alive? Do you think there are implants in the heart that will send a message to the system to disable a voice if your heart stops? There isn't. That's science fiction.

post #49 of 58
Quote:

"Saying what?" You're asking what every possible phrase or word that someone might ever say that could be used to verify the identity to another party or device? Are you on crack?!

Scenario 1: You leave a voice mail on a phone that's turned off. You say "Hey, it's me. Call me back." How does the person know that is you? They recognize your voice.

Scenario 2: You hear a recording of your someone in your family you were close to but it no deceased. You know who it is right away. How did you know? You recognize the voice.

Both scenarios the person who left the message doesn't have to be present or alive, they simply have to have left a recording of their voice. Why are hung up on what one would say is beyond me. If you are looking for some John Edward type shit I'm not the person you should speak to.

Read my previous reply.

The computer generates a random specific sentence and asks you to read it. Both your voice AND the text read have to match for the identification to be successful.

Maybe I should go and patent this before Apple block it for use by anyone else.

Nah, it's in the public space already.
post #50 of 58
Quote:

Read my previous reply.

The computer generates a random specific sentence and asks you to read it. Both your voice AND the text read have to match for the identification to be successful.

Maybe I should go and patent this before Apple block it for use by anyone else.

Nah, it's in the public space already.

So now the only such systems use random sentences. Way to move the goal posts. You've made it more complex but there are also complex ways to use a sampling of someone's that has been well recorded to beat such a test. If someone it out to get you they could bug your home, calls, and even get you to recite words they need or put them together from parts of other words you've recorded.

Again, what you are claiming is the party has to be alive when they execute its usage as if there is no way to trick a system. That is patently false.

PS: You don't even need to have your finger present for many fingerprint scanners as they fooled by a fingerprint and some household products.

post #51 of 58
Quote:

...and even get you to recite words they need.

Ah, now you're onto something. Clearly this method is insecure then.
post #52 of 58
Quote:

Ah, now you're onto something. Clearly this method is insecure then.

Yes, all of these methods are insecure because you give away the keys everywhere you go. Only something contained in your brain is secure and only given away if you actively choose to either for legitimate reasons or under duress.

post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I can imagine Siri saying .. "Either that isn't you Mike or you look terrible this morning!"

wow. that's scary for my ugly face. I need a face lift prior to buy a new Mac (got a PC for Xmas. whew, at least it wouldn't be that picky on my face.... Many thanks to the Apple crew to put new "system report" button on the Mac OS. but it a bit too late for me-saw it on the same day when I got my PC-that is another story .
post #54 of 58
Is Apple slavishly copying Android again?
post #55 of 58
I got a new name for this FaceTime.
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Is Apple slavishly copying Android again?

Lol - comedic posts do have a nice tendency to relieve the tension, well done.

All the best.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #57 of 58
I remember seeing something like this in an ad for some laptop - I think it was a Lenovo. Dude is gone for 7 years and his sister cannot recognise him, but his laptop does. Pointless ad.

Wasn't the demo of this feature in Android marred by it not working? That must have been really embarassing to the presenter.

I'm not sure how Apple could make this any better. I haven't seen the full patent, but there are chances that it may not be granted given the prior usage of something similar.
post #58 of 58
If the iPad unlocks with a picture of the person like it does with Android, then it's not really worth it. Instead, the user should be asked to turn his right to left like scanning his entire face. And as Apple always loves animations, the face scan from left to right will actually be like sliding the arrow to unlock
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's future iPhones & iPads could automatically personalize via face recognition