or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Nintendo planning 'full-blown' app store for next-gen Wii U console
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nintendo planning 'full-blown' app store for next-gen Wii U console

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Nintendo is quietly working on an application store for its Wii U console that would compete directly with Apple's Apple TV set-top box and iPad tablet when it arrives next year, according to a new report.

The Daily reported on Thursday that the Japanese gaming giant is working on a "full-blown app store" for its next-generation Wii U, which is set to arrive in late 2012.

Though the company currently operates digital applications stores via its DSi Shop and Wii Shop, the publication claims the next-generation store would go "far beyond" its predecessors. A personal familiar with the matter said the new store would offer a "wider variety of apps" than the selection of games and simple utilities on Nintendo's current stores.

Given the console's role in the living room, applications on the Wii U could pose a threat to the Apple TV. For instance, the report specifically cites MLB.TV as an app that could arrive on the console. Apple added MLB.TV support to the Apple TV earlier this year, with live and on-demand baseball games and stats, scores and standings.

The Daily also noted that developers may build apps designed specifically to run independently on the Wii U's tablet-like controller, potentially offering direct competition with Apple's iPad and App Store ecosystem. Even with the Wii U controller's major limitation of having to stay within range of the console to operate, it could still challenge the iPad's dominance in the living room, as one recent study revealed that 70 percent of all iPad use occurs in front of a TV.

Nintendo's next-gen 6.2-inch touchscreen controller drew immediate comparisons to the iPad when it was unveiled in June. However, Nintendo executive Satoru Iwata dismissed the connection, claiming that the company had already begun designing the controller before the iPad was announced in January 2010.



The Wii U will arrive at a critical time for Nintendo. It 3DS handheld gaming system got off to a slow start this year, resulting in widening losses for the company. According to one study last month, Apple's iOS and Google's Android have struck a sizable blow against gaming incumbents Nintendo and Sony, with the two smartphone plaftorms capturing a combined 58 percent of portable gaming revenue in the U.S.

Investors have begun calling for Nintendo to bring popular franchises such as Super Mario over to iOS in order to restore growth, but the company has been adamant in its hardware and software strategy.



For its part, Sony released its own tablet-like gaming device in the form of the PlayStation Vita earlier this month. Sporting a 5-inch touchscreen as well as a range of other input methods, the PS Vita arrived first in Japan and will launch in the U.S. and Europe next February. However, software bugs plagued the handheld's launch, even as initial sales failed to match the 3DS launch, which itself was viewed as a disappointment.
post #2 of 20
Before the debate begins, let's just agree that dedicated consoles do games very well, while Apple's devices provide a satisfactory gaming experience, which may be good enough for most. I'm looking very forward to the Wii-U although the non-gaming aspects depend on the success of one area that Nintendo is weak at (online) and another that Japanese companies in general seem to be weak at (software).

PS Vita looks to have flopped already perhaps - it did really badly in it's second week. I thought there would be enough dedicated gamers out there to see to it the device was a moderate success, but (very) early signs do not look good. Also, the PS Vita is hardly a 'tablet-like' gaming device (I guess you're just side-stepping iPad like), if I recall it got there first with the original PSP!
post #3 of 20
If Nintendo is not going live until at least the end of 2012, they are likely still in the planning stage. The difference between theory and reality is much greater in reality. At least they have a good model to copy.
post #4 of 20
The Japanese were so good at taking American ideas, refining them and making better products. Look what they did with the car industry. They had a lead in the electronic gaming industry for the last 30 years. But we have seen much stagnation in the console gaming industry in the last 10 years. There's no way they could expect to put out a gaming console once every 6 years and expect to live on that. I have a PS3 in the living room I hardly ever turn on anymore. My AppleTV gets used more. I play most games on my iPad. The table has now turned and the Japanese have to again borrow American ideas in order to survive.
post #5 of 20
I have a Wii and will buy the new version when it comes out. Apple's Airplay competes with the consoles but I don't know how well it works. Anyone have any good experiences with Airplay?
post #6 of 20
Sounds like "full-blown" as in, they'll offer a greater variety of apps and media, because I gather they already have a pretty well put together digital store. I would hope they move away from the silly points system, I only see it as making the process more complicated than it needs to be, at least, I could never appreciate it when confronted with such a system elsewhere.
post #7 of 20
It's kind of sad, but Nintendo's (and Sony's) chances for keeping up in gaming hardware this time look pretty bleak. Good games aren't enough to keep people (even gamers) from preferring general purpose devices over expensive gaming consoles. Especially when developers are creating increasingly sophisticated and innovative games for iOS. A "general purpose" app store won't be enough to save the Wii-U, imo.

I mean, think about it, iPads, iPod Touches, iPhones, are already laying around the house... these are your dynamic controllers. People don't want to buy additional pricey Wii-U controllers that can't even be utilized outside of the house. The Wii-U is expensive, Apple TV is cheap.

I predict that within the next year or two Apple TV is going to explode with better games from known developers. And I imagine at one point Nintendo will join that lineup...
post #8 of 20
Nintendo's days as a gaming hardware company are numbered, but they still seem to put out great software. I'm not much of a gamer anymore, but I have to imagine that while the Wii-U is the beginning of the end of their console gaming efforts, they won't soon disappear from the gaming industry. Mario and Zelda will just move over to iOS at some point in the next few years.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I have a Wii and will buy the new version when it comes out. Apple's Airplay competes with the consoles but I don't know how well it works. Anyone have any good experiences with Airplay?

I think at this point is it still apples and oranges because there are only perhaps 5 games that actually work with Airplay, Real Racing HD being the most known of them. Compared to something like the Wii which has dozens if not hundreds of games.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I think at this point is it still apples and oranges because there are only perhaps 5 games that actually work with Airplay, Real Racing HD being the most known of them. Compared to something like the Wii which has dozens if not hundreds of games.

Real Racing is nice through AirPlay, but the gameplay can get a little sluggish at times. It's not completely where standalone console games are, but it's not very far away, either.
post #11 of 20
Nothing like a good plague in an article
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nintendo is quietly working on an application store for its Wii U console that would compete directly with Apple's Apple TV set-top box and iPad tablet

Directly compete in the same way that Chevy parts stores compete directly with Ford parts stores?
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

It's kind of sad, but Nintendo's (and Sony's) chances for keeping up in gaming hardware this time look pretty bleak. Good games aren't enough to keep people (even gamers) from preferring general purpose devices over expensive gaming consoles. Especially when developers are creating increasingly sophisticated and innovative games for iOS. A "general purpose" app store won't be enough to save the Wii-U, imo.

Except that consoles are far more general purpose than the AppleTV at this point. They can independently play games, play media (videos, music, photos), and (except the current Wii) play existing disc based content.

Quote:
I mean, think about it, iPads, iPod Touches, iPhones, are already laying around the house... these are your dynamic controllers. People don't want to buy additional pricey Wii-U controllers that can't even be utilized outside of the house. The Wii-U is expensive, Apple TV is cheap.

Unless you don't have an iPad, iPod Touch or iPhone. Then the price of an AppleTV as console jumps dramatically. And if you want to play a 2-person game, adding another iPad is a minimum $500 investment. How is an AppleTV cheap then? I mean, how many iDevices do you really think people own?

Quote:
I predict that within the next year or two Apple TV is going to explode with better games from known developers. And I imagine at one point Nintendo will join that lineup...

At which point, Nintendo will become the next Sega. Do you remember the last time Sega released a game worth mentioning (for good reasons that is)? I'd much prefer Nintendo close their doors than fall into that fate.
post #14 of 20
Pardon me for being a smart a$$ but, I just can't get past the name, "Wii U". It makes me think of the movie Kung-Pow. ok, ok, I'll sit down now!
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I think at this point is it still apples and oranges because there are only perhaps 5 games that actually work with Airplay, Real Racing HD being the most known of them. Compared to something like the Wii which has dozens if not hundreds of games.

Bugdom 2
Cro-Mag Rally
Egnimo 2
Nanosaur 2
Otto Matic
Real Racing 2
Rage hd
Chopper 2
Metalstorm
Max adventure
Pinball HD
Quarters
Sky Gamblers - Rise Of Glory
War Pinball
TouchGrind BMX,
Ducati Challenge HD
Modern Combat 3
Solar Walk 3D
Mega Jump
Atari's greatest Hits
Shift 2 Unleashed
Zombie Gunship
Enigmo 2
Jurassic Park

There are more, but I got tired of listing them.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I have a Wii and will buy the new version when it comes out. Apple's Airplay competes with the consoles but I don't know how well it works. Anyone have any good experiences with Airplay?

There is latency if youre playing any serious game in mirroring mode. Only games with build in airplay works good, but those are still rare.

The low graphics games like angry birds, ... works pretty good.

The best would be to have game apps that run native on the Apple TV.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcom006 View Post

Nintendo's days as a gaming hardware company are numbered, but they still seem to put out great software. I'm not much of a gamer anymore, but I have to imagine that while the Wii-U is the beginning of the end of their console gaming efforts, they won't soon disappear from the gaming industry. Mario and Zelda will just move over to iOS at some point in the next few years.

*cough* what? The DS and Wii were absolutely massive until just recently. These things may as well have been printing stadiums full of money for Nintendo. There were even times when the DS in many markets was selling more than the iPod. Oh, and that so called flop the 3DS, yup, that's now selling like crazy over christmas as well.

Apple and Nintendo have one key thing in common -- with each new product announcement/launch there is the most amazing amount of naysayers and ridiculous armchair analysis that goes on. Meanwhile these products launch, both companies sit back counting their wads of cash whilst competitors scramble in a mad panic trying to play catch up.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMeister View Post

The Japanese were so good at taking American ideas, refining them and making better products. Look what they did with the car industry. They had a lead in the electronic gaming industry for the last 30 years. But we have seen much stagnation in the console gaming industry in the last 10 years. There's no way they could expect to put out a gaming console once every 6 years and expect to live on that. I have a PS3 in the living room I hardly ever turn on anymore. My AppleTV gets used more. I play most games on my iPad. The table has now turned and the Japanese have to again borrow American ideas in order to survive.

I always recall the 1960's when the Japanese were copying everything American. My dad bought a lighter thinking it was a genuine Ronson only to have it fall apart within days. On close inspection it was engraved with the words ... "Made by R.onson." The period required a magnifying glass to see!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #19 of 20
Although the 3DS struggled a bit when it was first released earlier this year, it has since surpassed the first year sales of the original DS. Reaching that goal in just 8 months. Giving the system the lucrative holiday season to surge ahead even further.

The 3DS is on very solid ground now and there is little reason to fear it's won't be able to stand on it's own. AppleInsider is perpetuating a story that is old and no longer true to strengthen their point of view.

Source
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I have a Wii and will buy the new version when it comes out. Apple's Airplay competes with the consoles but I don't know how well it works. Anyone have any good experiences with Airplay?

It's crap.

It's laggy. It looks bad. The games are designed for a touchscreen and translate poorly to the TV.

I can see places where it may work (e.g. playing a family trivia games with multiple iPhone 4S's) but it's no replacement for a console.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Nintendo planning 'full-blown' app store for next-gen Wii U console
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Nintendo planning 'full-blown' app store for next-gen Wii U console