you really want to do to IBM what Steve was saying !
is it lust or .. nah, sounds like love!
True enemies need to be flawed or evil, and IBM were not and are not. Yes, they appear boring, however not in reality:
1. Their products are exceptionally reliable - hence you see pre Lenovo Think Pads in use still today. In fact, I would happily pay for a ThinkPad that ran OS X for that superb keyboard!
2. IBM put a lot of effort into ergonomics - again, consider our love of clicky keyboards, starting with the IBM PC, and the excellent ThinkPad keyboards.
3 Exceptional industrial design - their contemporary desktop machines and the ThinkPads were superb, very well built and sexy too.
4. IBM innovate, from modular computers, the ThinkPad butterfly keyboard (short lived I know) and others - not to mention their bleeding edge Chess playing mainframes.
5. Superb advertising.
6. Renowned customer service, hence the phrase, "No one ever got fired for choosing IBM." (Or similar.)
7. Research labs that have contributed to a lot of what goes into Apple products!
In other words, IBM are a respectable competitor, but in no way evil or boring.