or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple design chief Jonathan Ive awarded knighthood
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple design chief Jonathan Ive awarded knighthood - Page 2

post #41 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Jobs and Ive were close friends, Ive did admit to Isaacson that he felt Jobs had stolen the credit for some of his ideas.

"[Jobs] will go through a process of looking at my ideas and say, 'That's no good. That's not very good. I like that one,'" Ive told Isaacson in an interview. "And later I will be sitting in the audience and he will be talking about it as if it was his idea. I pay maniacal attention to where an idea comes from, and I even keep notebooks filled with my ideas. So it hurts when he takes credit for one of my designs."

You convenientlhy left out the last half of the statement, where Ive says that the ideas would have died without Jobs developing them. He even says it twice.
post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

In that Chuck Norris kinda way.

In an old photo kind of way you mean...
post #43 of 80
Congratulations to Sir Jony, throughly deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

would have such an archaic and ridiculous title.

Shut up dude, seriously.
post #44 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcartesius View Post

So, this is one of the guys who do all they can to take away user serviceability from Apple products, so they can hope to charge premium prices for everything

That is actually a really good point.

For example, the first white iBooks had a horrible design from a service standpoint. You had to spend an hour taking the thing apart just to swap out the hard drive, something that should be a routine task. That time ends up being money lost by the company (possibly money gained if out of warranty).

We can look at the more recent MacBooks as an example of how Apple corrected that particular problem but their designs were clearly not perfect.
post #45 of 80
I'm grateful to see a kindred designer fulfilling his dream. Much adoration & respect I have for you Sir Ive. Keep up the good work!
post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

For disclosure as to where my opinions are coming from, I'm a Brit, living in the UK.

Basically, the British are an inventive people, but have not always been very good at understanding the difference between being an inventor and being an engineer. It was assumed that whoever invented or designed a product would be able to make the whole thing into a product, and we missed the boat when other countries (notably Germany with cars) figured out that once someone had designed the look of a car, someone else was needed to make it reliable, so in that sense, we didn't engineer cars to be reliable in the way the Germans did.

Effectively we allowed one key player in a design to hold sway over everything, so the thing never worked as a whole. So it wasn't just we made good looking cars that were unreliable, Lotus for example would be fixated on making their cars fast, and would forget reliable (it's telling that Lotus is jokingly said to stand for, Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious).

The British car industry was then let down by serious union strife in the 1970s (by the way, please don't turn this into a union vs. non-union debate - both the unions and the car manufacturers did much to antagonize each other during the 70's) and as such build quality went through the floor.

However, things have improved dramatically. Nissan in Japan actually badge some of their cars with a Union Jack, to indicate that it was made in the UK Nissan plant, and the Japanese will pay a premium for those ones, as they regard the build quality as superior to ones made in Japan. Honda, BMW (with the Mini), Jaguar, Range Rover etc. are all now foreign owned, and have infused a culture quality that the UK didn't have, and they are all making excellent quality products now, aligned with what has always been a strong design aesthetic. Britain has actually done a pretty good job of accepting foreign ownership of British brands, and has worked that to everyones advantage.

As someone else mentioned, Rolls-Royce aero engines compete with the best in terms of efficiency, reliability and quality, and BAe systems are a world leader in weapons systems.

So, in summary, you are absolutely right to call out poor British quality, but in my opinion, it is increasingly a thing of the past.

I owned the aforementioned 1974 MG Midget so I spent a lot of time balancing dual SU carburetors and dealing with those notorious Lucas electrics. The thing leaked in the rain, right above my hand. Still it was a great car to drive in college. A little terrifying but otherwise a lot of fun. The telling part is a friend of mine owns a 1948 MG TC (which I get to drive from time to time). This car was built with wooden coach works when that was already an antique method. I have to tinker with it to get it running even though the engine has been fully overhauled, so I know it's got the very same SU carburetors as my '70s MG, with the same issues and eccentricities! This is hidebound British engineering for you -- 25 years, no changes, even to systems that work poorly.

I lived for several months in the Oxford area during the early '90s. My landlady worked at the Austin-Rover plant in Cowley at a time when they were partnered with Honda to build the Sterling cars. I remember her telling me that she was sure the partnership would fail and the factory would close because (and these were her words) "the British are lazy."

So... the Sterling partnership did fail, but then BMW bought what was left of Rover and developed the Mini, which is built in the same factory in Cowley. I've owned a Mini for the past 8 1/2 years and have come to the opinion that this is a British car done right.

Funny how that worked out.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #47 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I owned the aforementioned 1974 MG Midget so I spent a lot of time balancing dual SU carburetors and dealing with those notorious Lucas electrics. The thing leaked in the rain, right above my hand. Still it was a great car to drive in college. A little terrifying but otherwise a lot of fun. The telling part is a friend of mine owns a 1948 MG TC (which I get to drive from time to time). This car was built with wooden coach works when that was already an antique method. I have to tinker with it to get it running even though the engine has been fully overhauled, so I know it's got the very same SU carburetors as my '70s MG, with the same issues and eccentricities! This is hidebound British engineering for you -- 25 years, no changes, even to systems that work poorly.

I lived for several months in the Oxford area during the early '90s. My landlady worked at the Austin-Rover plant in Cowley at a time when they were partnered with Honda to build the Sterling cars. I remember her telling me that she was sure the partnership would fail and the factory would close because (and these were her words) "the British are lazy."

So... the Sterling partnership did fail, but then BMW bought what was left of Rover and developed the Mini, which is built in the same factory in Cowley. I've owned a Mini for the past 8 1/2 years and have come to the opinion that this is a British car done right.

Funny how that worked out.


Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians.
post #48 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by big View Post

First of all, I'm very glad for Ive - well-deserved recognition!

I just feel like rambling about a couple things: and that's all this is - rambling.

1. I still haven't had a chance to read the Jobs biography. But Ive's comments about Jobs taking credit for some of his ideas bothers me. I just don't know what to think of Jobs - a man the press simultaneously calls genius and mercurial. I'm concerned that Apple's success may have resulted from his hard-driving, unreasonable approach... and now that Mr. Jobs is gone?! What now? I want Apple to continue to make great products and experience phenomenal success! I hope things will not deteriorate in his absence.

All in all this is wonderful news about Ive and congratulations to him!!! :-)

(1) my hats off to Ive's. DNA of silver smith comes out with a "gold smith". a true knight indeed.
(2) jobs did recognize his talent and utilize it to the full extend. That is something (a diamond in the mud need to be discovered and polished). As for taking credit, nothing new. The Pixar story is the same. Jobs talent is utilize the others to fulfill his goal. Nothing wrong with that. Every business CEO should be the same if they have not yet to do so (what is the goal would be a differentiation as for the good/bad).
post #49 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Yea, look at all those wonderful Aussi designed and built Formula 1 cars .....Brrrrrrrrrm Car!\

Except that BRM was "British Racing Motors": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPwMsnehg9g

Cheers
post #50 of 80
Next we will see knighthood for the person who designed fancy patterned toilet paper. This show the relevancy of he British empire.
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Reply
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Reply
post #51 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

We should have known this was coming, with the release of Sir-I.

Thanks for that clever bit of thinking Cpsro. 'Sir-I' sounds much better than 'Sir Jonny'.

But I suspect that Ive was so effective at Apple because Jobs ensured his designs got translated into actual products. Whereas in most modern companies the ultimate design decisions are made by gormless bean counters who insist on the cheapest designs, the cheapest materials and the lowest cost of manufacture. And the CEOs of those companies couldn't care less about the quality of the product or the customer experience with that product.

The result of this is devices with hundreds of buttons on them, a need to enrol in a university course to figure out how to use them all, and a warranty that terminates one day before the device self destructs because of poor design, poor materials, poor manufacture or because a frustrated customer throws the damn thing to the ground in exasperation.

Long may Sir-I, and the spirit of Steve Jobs, live.
post #52 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post

Next we will see knighthood for the person who designed fancy patterned toilet paper. This show the relevancy of he British empire.

At least they can write correctly in their own language.

Since it is a British award to Brits, it only needs to be relevant in Britain.

For knighthoods to be given, the recipient has usually given a lot back. People don't get them just for their own success.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #53 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by big View Post

2. The English, to me, are an enigma. They have some wonderful car designs - the Jaguars and the Range Rovers are beautiful and the MG Midget my dad drove in his youth was splendid - but their build quality and reliability are terrible! And it's not for lack of smarts: the English built the Colossus computer during the World War II which decoded Nazi ciphers. I just don't understand why their designs are so good but their quality can be so bad! But I'm so glad that in the case of Apple Ive's wonderful designs are backed by outstanding quality!

All in all this is wonderful news about Ive and congratulations to him!!! :-)

You've got to take into account that most of what we built was in a time when build quality from anywhere was aweful so it didn't really matter. It was only when the Japanese started making decent products it became an issue. Now we make reliable products but there all for overseas brands.
post #54 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by big View Post


2. The English, to me, are an enigma. They have some wonderful car designs - the Jaguars and the Range Rovers are beautiful and the MG Midget my dad drove in his youth was splendid - but their build quality and reliability are terrible! And it's not for lack of smarts: the English built the Colossus computer during the World War II which decoded Nazi ciphers. I just don't understand why their designs are so good but their quality can be so bad!

For similar reasons why American cars have (or at least had) such terrible build quality - the British car industry was held to ransom by powerful unions who just couldn't see the world was changing, that the Japanese and German makers were catching up and overtaking the ancient Leyland and Austin.

Combine that with the Thatcher government that would sacrifice the industry to smash the unions, and the British car industry's fate was sealed.

British engineering is still amongst the best in the world (what little we have) - look at Rolls Royce engines for example - but years of neglect from the government and strikes from the unions combined to kill our manufacturing base. Sniff...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6384zIosn8

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #55 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

At least they can write correctly in their own language.

Since it is a British award to Brits, it only needs to be relevant in Britain.

For knighthoods to be given, the recipient has usually given a lot back. People don't get them just for their own success.

Very true. You don't even have to successful, I believe there's a cleaner earning minimum wage that has been awarded a title. You just have to do something outstanding, preferably benefitting others. E.g. Jamie Oliver was awarded his honours not for his job as a chef, but for the work he's done helping kids.
post #56 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by big View Post

...
2. The English, to me, are an enigma. They have some wonderful car designs - the Jaguars and the Range Rovers are beautiful and the MG Midget my dad drove in his youth was splendid - but their build quality and reliability are terrible! And it's not for lack of smarts: the English built the Colossus computer during the World War II which decoded Nazi ciphers. I just don't understand why their designs are so good but their quality can be so bad! But I'm so glad that in the case of Apple Ive's wonderful designs are backed by outstanding quality! . ..

Thanks for the broad generalised insult to all English people based on the limited knowledge you have of the manufacturing of a few random automobiles.

The English are excellent engineers, designers and inventors and there is no one in America today that even comes close to someone like Ives. I find it interesting that the most successful company in the world which is almost 100% American has an Englishman at the centre of all that success. That tells you more than someones "ramblings" about the quality of a car he once looked at.

I especially find the fact that you can't see the irony in your statement that (paraphrased) "the design is good but the quality is bad." This is a statement that is definitely far more fitting of American engineering than it is of the English. Even if we limit the discussion to cars, at least the English have actually designed quite a few world class autos, which is something the Americans cannot claim.

I would admit that the English are more inventors than they are engineers, but invention leads engineering and is at the end of the day far more important. Thinking up the new stuff in the first place is far more important than just being able to put a bolt in straight.
post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So... the Sterling partnership did fail, but then BMW bought what was left of Rover and developed the Mini, which is built in the same factory in Cowley. I've owned a Mini for the past 8 1/2 years and have come to the opinion that this is a British car done right.

Funny how that worked out.

Erm?....

BAe wanted out of Rover so sold it to BMW. BMW and Honda were definitely not going to work together which is why that partnership broke up.

As for the MINI, that was asset striped out of Rover by BMW. The real 2nd generation Mini looked nothing like the MINI, and the designs were over-ruled by BMW who wanted something retro, hence the dreadfully large and expensive MINI.

BMW didn't even want the Kseries in the MINI and opted for an inferior Brazilian engine, rather than the highly rated K series. (And before we talk about HGFs, they were largely sorted out once BMW sold off Rover and Rover were allowed to fix the issue. Plus it was mainly the F/TF that had the HGF issues).

The MINI is nothing but a German car built in the UK.
post #58 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post

Next we will see knighthood for the person who designed fancy patterned toilet paper. This show the relevancy of he British empire.


A) It's British Empire
B) It doesn't exist anymore
C) So a man who designed many 'revolutionary' products cannot be given an honorary title alongside Helena Bonham-Carter or the local schoolteacher for services to design and enterprise?
post #59 of 80
Knight of the British "Empire"? Is that still around?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post

Next we will see knighthood for the person who designed fancy patterned toilet paper. This show the relevancy of he British empire.

I think it is a clever modernisation of an old concept. It used to be that great warriors were vital to a country, now it is great businessman. Traditions should not be thrown out wholesale, that is cultural vandalism.

It would also have been acceptable to modernise it to be something given to special forces, who are modern equivalent of an elite warrior.
post #61 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

"Interestingly enough, Jobs himself was also considered for knighthood by the Queen of the United Kingdom, but the proposal was blocked by a former Prime Minister because Jobs declined to speak at a Labour Party conference."

Ah yes... British people unfortunately remember (though he's eminently forgetable) the "One-eyed son of the Manse" - also known as Gordon "Moron" Brown, the unelected Socialist Prime Minister - who ruined their economy and whose temper tantrums included throwing his Nokia at anyone within range.

Well, it hasn't been too fantastic since Thatcher. Blair was gung-ho about a certain illegal war, Brown, average, now David Cameron... A once mighty Empire that spanned the globe, that spawned hundreds of colonies, heck, took over an entire continent... Now...

Ah well, at least the English language is still going strong... for now.
post #62 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think it is a clever modernisation of an old concept. It used to be that great warriors were vital to a country, now it is great businessman. Traditions should not be thrown out wholesale, that is cultural vandalism.

It would also have been acceptable to modernise it to be something given to special forces, who are modern equivalent of an elite warrior.

Clever is as far as it goes. The number of "Sirs" and "Lords" that are responsible for bringing the globe close to financial collapse... are probably numerous.

"Knighthood", is at best, cute.

The UK has bigger issues at hand.
post #63 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It would also have been acceptable to modernise it to be something given to special forces, who are modern equivalent of an elite warrior.

I think Jony Ive and Helena Bonham Carter are brilliant, talented people, but if you ask me what you propose above is a great idea, British Knighthood should only be for armed forces ~ not just special forces, but anyone serving in the military who has performed exceptionally.
post #64 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians.

post #65 of 80
Apologies for the multiple replies in a row, but I couldn't resist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Yea, look at all those wonderful Aussi designed and built Formula 1 cars .....Brrrrrrrrrm Car!\

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Don't worry about the English thing. That comes down to taste. If you ever get the chance to travel, you'll realise how much taste varies from country to country. Trust me on this. I'm from Australia and we look at both English AND American cars and go, 'WTF!'. And I'm sure you'd do the same if you saw our stuff...

Awwww yeah mate... Screw the Aston Martin! (is that even British still?). Give me a Holden HSV Ute any day!
post #66 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

“Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians”.

An oldie but a goodie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

Erm?....

BAe wanted out of Rover so sold it to BMW. BMW and Honda were definitely not going to work together which is why that partnership broke up.

As for the MINI, that was asset striped out of Rover by BMW. The real 2nd generation Mini looked nothing like the MINI, and the designs were over-ruled by BMW who wanted something retro, hence the dreadfully large and expensive MINI.

BMW didn't even want the Kseries in the MINI and opted for an inferior Brazilian engine, rather than the highly rated K series. (And before we talk about HGFs, they were largely sorted out once BMW sold off Rover and Rover were allowed to fix the issue. Plus it was mainly the F/TF that had the HGF issues).

The MINI is nothing but a German car built in the UK.

I'm not sure you've actually modified any of the history I related. I am fully aware of the evolution of the new Mini, which I told only partially. The project started before the BMW takeover then was finished by BMW. The result was something of a hybrid -- a Rover gearbox and a BMW suspension were used, for example. Many cars made these days have a similarly complicated heritage.

I think everyone who cares to know already knows that the new Mini had little to do with the original Mini. FWIW, for many years the Mini was the shortest car sold in the US by any manufacturer, so "dreadfully large" is indeed a matter of reference points.

The car's original Tritec engine was a joint development between Chrysler and BMW that became essentially an orphan when Chrysler was bought out by Daimler-Benz. It was only manufactured in Brazil. If the Mini is nothing more than a German car built in the UK then the Tritec is nothing more than a US/German engine built in Brazil. You can't have that logic both ways.

Anyway, having owned one for nearly nine years now I can say it's a great car. It's got all the fun of my old MG without any of the mechanical headaches.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #67 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by big View Post

I just don't know what to think of Jobs - a man the press simultaneously calls genius and mercurial. I'm concerned that Apple's success may have resulted from his hard-driving, unreasonable approach... and now that Mr. Jobs is gone?! What now? I want Apple to continue to make great products and experience phenomenal success! I hope things will not deteriorate in his absence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Read the biography. Ive's comments quoted here are not out of context, but they'd bother you less (probably not at all, to be honest) after you read the biography. You'll also have a better sense of Apple's future.

My concern is that Jobs was the rudder and compass of the apple boat. When only months before it's debut at Macworld the iPhone didn't work it was Jobs who said "We don't have a product yet." What person is there now who will say this? Who will tell a team of 200 engineers their work isn't good enough and they have 3 months to fix it before we demo?

That is what Jobs did at Apple. Who now?
post #68 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'm from Australia and we look at both English AND American cars and go, 'WTF!'. And I'm sure you'd do the same if you saw our stuff...

For sure ... We Do! ... We Do! ...

And my wife doesn't think much of the women's shoe "fashions" in England, either! (Do Ozzie women wear shoes??)

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #69 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by big View Post

First of all, I'm very glad for Ive - well-deserved recognition!

I just feel like rambling about a couple things: and that's all this is - rambling.

1. I still haven't had a chance to read the Jobs biography. But Ive's comments about Jobs taking credit for some of his ideas bothers me. I just don't know what to think of Jobs - a man the press simultaneously calls genius and mercurial. I'm concerned that Apple's success may have resulted from his hard-driving, unreasonable approach... and now that Mr. Jobs is gone?! What now? I want Apple to continue to make great products and experience phenomenal success! I hope things will not deteriorate in his absence.

2. The English, to me, are an enigma. They have some wonderful car designs - the Jaguars and the Range Rovers are beautiful and the MG Midget my dad drove in his youth was splendid - but their build quality and reliability are terrible! And it's not for lack of smarts: the English built the Colossus computer during the World War II which decoded Nazi ciphers. I just don't understand why their designs are so good but their quality can be so bad! But I'm so glad that in the case of Apple Ive's wonderful designs are backed by outstanding quality!

All in all this is wonderful news about Ive and congratulations to him!!! :-)

Yeah and all Americans are fat and ignorant (not my view btw). Generalisations aren't nice are they!

Britain has always been known for quality, but people want cheep these days so most British goods are made in china theses days. We we compleat these days in ideas, services, design and in niche markets where quality is still valued. We actually have a growing market of high quality goods to China of all places as their growing middle class want to buy quality British products with a long tradition and heritage.

And yes class isn't just a British thing we just have names for it, every country has rich, and poor and those in between.
post #70 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

Britain has always been known for quality

Really?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqQ6Z-HmAqY
post #71 of 80
Wow. What a thrill, what a nice way to start off 2012!

A fabulous thread that celebrates Apple's greatness -- with the occasional wink and the informed nod -- not populated by the usual Android lowlifes that hijack it.

Wow.
post #72 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcartesius View Post

So, this is one of the guys who do all they can to take away user serviceability from Apple products, so they can hope to charge premium prices for everything.

You really don't get it, do you? Apple isn't designing machines for people like you, it's designing machines for the non-techie. And not changing batteries works fine for them. Consider: My wife just upgraded from a 3g to a 4s. That's three years with the same battery. Granted, the battery needs replacing now, but she got three years of use out of that phone. That's plenty.

What I really dislike is the "flip' on your comments that somehow Apple is ripping people off when all it's doing is giving most of us exactly what we want.
post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post

Next we will see knighthood for the person who designed fancy patterned toilet paper. This show the relevancy of he British empire.

Speaking of toilet paper, I'd wager you've got more than a passing familiarity with it....
post #74 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The English are excellent engineers, designers and inventors and there is no one in America today that even comes close to someone like Ives.

Ever hear of Dean Kamen? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Kamen

You're taking umbrage was way over the top, Professor....
post #75 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

(Do Ozzie women wear shoes??)

No, they don't. They wear thongs. I'll leave you to find out which one I mean... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thong
post #76 of 80
Thanks: ascii, DanaCameron, PhilBoogie, GTR, allblue, ichiva, jcsegenmd, PaulMJohnson, Dr Millmoss, 1st, timgriff84, Zoolook, Prof. Peabody, WelshDog, macadam212, and Sacto Joe!

Just want to thank everyone who replied to my "ramble" and let you know that you've helped get my New Year off to a terrific start!!! You are exactly the reason I visit AppleInsider daily and on occasion dare to post! I love your thoughtful insight and appreciate the fact that an ugly flame war didn't erupt - a disgraceful, counterproductive practice I've witnessed too many times at other sites.

You folks are world class!

My apologies to Prof. Peabody and anyone else I may have offended. This was not intended to be an insult but rather an informal dialogue - playful bandying - like might have occurred at a bar over a couple beers.

I won't reply like this every time but just this once in order to say that I revisit my posts to check for responses. I once read someone define a troll as "like a jerk who takes a sh!t in the middle of a room full of people and then leaves" and just wanted to say that's not me!

Kudos to Sir Jonathan Ive and thanks to all who make AppleInsider great! You've made my day! Happy New Year!

~ james h
"big"
post #77 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Speaking of toilet paper, I'd wager you've got more than a passing familiarity with it....

If we did, he wouldn't be spewing it all over here right? Paraphrasing the late Richard Pryor, this guy never goes to the toilet - he just talks his out.
post #78 of 80
Either I have missed a couple of posts or no one has really mentioned this, but how come no one has mentioned the obvious "iSir"?

I admit "Sir I" is very clever.

Congratulations to Ive anyway.
post #79 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

You're taking umbrage was way over the top, Professor....

Not to worry. It's a new year and in the spirit of the season, Dr. Peabody promises to put that umbrage right back whence he took it.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #80 of 80
I wonder if he'll walk around the office saying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9u9QprLcvg

As for the award, I'm sure the product he has in his pocket is far more meaningful to him than a name given to him by an irrelevant monarch.

You can't earn respect with a title but you can by convincing over quarter of a billion people to buy your design.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple design chief Jonathan Ive awarded knighthood