or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Hospitals adopting Apple's iPad for patient and visitor kiosks

Hospitals adopting Apple's iPad for patient and visitor kiosks

post #1 of 71
Apple's iPad is increasingly finding use in hospitals, where some locations have begun using the touchscreen tablet as a kiosk to allow patients and visitors to check in or access information.

The iPad has helped some hospitals to streamline their operations by reducing labor costs and improving staff efficiency, according to The Point of Sale News. Hospitals have begun to use specific applications on the iPad to allow easier access to information when used as a kiosk, with the iPad held in place in a secure frame.

The report notes a few uses for the iPad from hospitals around the world, including Singapore's Changi General Hospital. There, visitors, patients and hospital staff can find their way through the facility with an iPad located in a kiosk.

At Boston's Massachusetts General Hospital, doctors access up-to-date information with an iPad before and during a visit with a patient. And New York Methodist Hospital uses kiosk-mounted iPads for EKG and other diagnostic machines.

"The new system has been embraced by nurses and technicians as a great time-saver, and has proven a convenient tool for doctors as an access point to all patient data for analysis and diagnosis," the report said.

Professionals in the healthcare industry have shown great interest in Apple's iPad since the device first launched in 2010. Its use has expanded with new applications, including one that launched last year with FDA approval for mobile diagnoses.

Functionality for the iPad among doctors, nurses and others in hospitals could grow even more this year with an anticipated third-generation iPad with a high-resolution Retina Display. More pixels packed into the iPad's 9.7-inch touchscreen could make it even better for medical imaging among healthcare professionals.
post #2 of 71
Aviation and healthcare segments need a device that's dependable, polished, and provides a consistent results both in OS compatibility, and user experience.

Fandroids obviously will dispute it and play the deniability card, but the patchwork that is Android is nowhere up to that standard. Keep it in the hands of those tech-heads that want to fiddle with it. That's where android belongs.
post #3 of 71
Check in situations are perfect for a fixed iPad, brilliant and yet obvious.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #4 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

…the users's contributions.

Signatures as "contributions" is quite subjective.

As for the actual thread, am I supposed to be surprised? This is why the iPad exists just as much as it being a portable device. It's wonderful to see that finally come out.

Eventually places will get over their aversion to having separate networks for visitors and allow people to carry in their own iPads, which will be able to download (or access a web page for) site-specific material instead of having dedicated machines in their lobby. Because eventually everyone will have an iPad and a kiosk will just be redundant.
post #5 of 71
Deleted
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #6 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Signatures as "contributions" is quite subjective.

As for the actual thread, am I supposed to be surprised? This is why the iPad exists just as much as it being a portable device. It's wonderful to see that finally come out.

Eventually places will get over their aversion to having separate networks for visitors and allow people to carry in their own iPads, which will be able to download (or access a web page for) site-specific material instead of having dedicated machines in their lobby. Because eventually everyone will have an iPad and a kiosk will just be redundant.

Yes! In places like shopping malls, access to an "in-house" WiFi network would benefit shoppers and sellers, alike -- shoppers finding products -- and sellers finding buyers and learning their shopping habits/trends.
post #7 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes! In places like shopping malls, access to an "in-house" WiFi network would benefit shoppers and sellers, alike -- shoppers finding products -- and sellers finding buyers and learning their shopping habits/trends.

Oh, man, the possibilities are ENDLESS!

Walk into a grocery store. Your iPhone beeps, pulling up your grocery list Reminder.

"Siri, find the items on my list."

"First item: [Brand Name] Pasta: Aisle 3."

So you get your pasta.

"Next item, Siri."

"Second item: Skim Milk: Aisle 12. Your fourth item is in Aisle 6, between here and there."

"Thanks, Siri."

And so on.
post #8 of 71
I am an IT admin in a library and I just installed an ipad in the same lilipad enclosure shown on the picture. We use it for our Card catalog.

The only drawback is that it has to stay on pretty much 24 hours a day. THe app I am using is having a problem with the screen blanking out.

Its a cool cheap way to have a touch screen kiosk.
post #9 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

THe app I am using is having a problem with the screen blanking out.

So set it to never automatically sleep the display.
post #10 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Aviation and healthcare segments need a device that's dependable, polished, and provides a consistent results both in OS compatibility, and user experience.

Fandroids obviously will dispute it and play the deniability card, but the patchwork that is Android is nowhere up to that standard. Keep it in the hands of those tech-heads that want to fiddle with it. That's where android belongs.

Yes, but... I know from discussion among pilots that the iPad is almost more tolerated than accepted in those quarters. The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in aviation. Apple has been fortunate in that the killer aviation apps have appeared first on the iOS platform. On many of these narrow fronts I'd keep an eye out for Android vendors discovering that an essentially dedicated tablet devoted to one occupational use might be very appealing to that market segment. Apple could get outflanked here if they are not very careful. I'm not sure they can fully guard against it.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #11 of 71
Quote:

I am an IT admin in a library and I just installed an ipad in the same lilipad enclosure shown on the picture. We use it for our Card catalog.

The only drawback is that it has to stay on pretty much 24 hours a day. THe app I am using is having a problem with the screen blanking out.

Its a cool cheap way to have a touch screen kiosk.

Home-grown app or app store app... Which one?
post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yes, but... I know from discussion among pilots that the iPad is almost more tolerated than accepted in those quarters. The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in aviation.

That makes a lot of sense. You never know when apple will yank software or restrict existing features.

There's no way that any commercial airline will get rid of their paper maps or fail to update every copy that they have a subscription for.

Apple has made very clear that they have no big interest in the enterprise, and piloting hundreds of souls while relying on a consumer-quality device using consumer-quality data is dangerous.
post #13 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Home-grown app or app store app... Which one?

Kiosk Pro

Also; tallest skill; I have that set to never sleep but kiosk pro has a setting to blank the screen at night but only blanks the screen for 30 seconds and comes back on again.

Right now I have it setup so the home page is just different photos sliding into the screen so I have some sort of screen saver.
post #14 of 71
Quote:

Kiosk Pro

Also; tallest skill; I have that set to never sleep but kiosk pro has a setting to blank the screen at night but only blanks the screen for 30 seconds and comes back on again.

Right now I have it setup so the home page is just different photos sliding into the screen so I have some sort of screen saver.

It is good that you are not relying on that to navigate an airplane full of people.
post #15 of 71
Quote:

Yes, but... I know from discussion among pilots that the iPad is almost more tolerated than accepted in those quarters. The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in aviation. Apple has been fortunate in that the killer aviation apps have appeared first on the iOS platform. On many of these narrow fronts I'd keep an eye out for Android vendors discovering that an essentially dedicated tablet devoted to one occupational use might be very appealing to that market segment. Apple could get outflanked here if they are not very careful. I'm not sure they can fully guard against it.

Until android oems realize that the sale doesnt end once money exchanges hands and begin a regular software updating path, I'm not holding my breath.
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
post #16 of 71
Quote:

Interesting. You've tried all the standard troubleshooting procedures, right? Have you tried contacting the developer and seeing what he says about it?
post #17 of 71
Quote:

Interesting. You've tried all the standard troubleshooting procedures, right? Have you tried contacting the developer and seeing what he says about it?

Yes I have and they are working on reproducing the problem.
post #18 of 71
Quote:

Oh, man, the possibilities are ENDLESS!

Walk into a grocery store. Your iPhone beeps, pulling up your grocery list Reminder.

"Siri, find the items on my list."

"First item: [Brand Name] Pasta: Aisle 3."

So you get your pasta.

"Next item, Siri."

"Second item: Skim Milk: Aisle 12. Your fourth item is in Aisle 6, between here and there."

"Thanks, Siri."

And so on.

Multiply that by 100 shoppers and that is a lot of noise pollution!
post #19 of 71
Purell stocks are skyrocketing on this news.
post #20 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Until android oems realize that the sale doesnt end once money exchanges hands and begin a regular software updating path, I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe, but I'd say this is less of an issue than you suggest if only because Android OEMs are multiple and various. Also tablet computers are hurtling towards becoming commodity items, mainly due to Android proliferation. Tablets aren't sold in blister packs on checkout aisles yet, but this is not far off. A clever Android OEM will eventually figure out that they can preload an industry specific app onto inexpensive hardware and market it directly to that industry. They could score big if they work it right, and it would come at the expense of Apple.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #21 of 71
Quote:

Maybe, but I'd say this is less of an issue than you suggest if only because Android OEMs are multiple and various. Also tablet computers are hurtling towards becoming commodity items, mainly due to Android proliferation. Tablets aren't sold in blister packs on checkout aisles yet, but this is not far off. A clever Android OEM will eventually figure out that they can preload an industry specific app onto inexpensive hardware and market it directly to that industry. They could score big if they work it right, and it would come at the expense of Apple.

With no regular, guaranteed updates then you have to worry about bug fixes and security. Until one of the manufacturers steps up in customer service, i don't see them making headway into this type of market anytime soon. Commodified or not.
post #22 of 71
Quote:

Yes, but... I know from discussion among pilots that the iPad is almost more tolerated than accepted in those quarters. The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in aviation. Apple has been fortunate in that the killer aviation apps have appeared first on the iOS platform....

I think this is probably true in many of the enterprise zones where Apple products have begun to appear and multiply. In fact you could probably replace "aviation" in the last two sentences with almost any other business --

"The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in X. Apple has been fortunate in that the killer X apps have appeared first on the iOS platform."

-- and the statement would be equally true. Justly or not, Apple has a longstanding rep for making things for your kids to play with. Once an idea like this gets entrenched, it's hard to dislodge. By all accounts, for example, RIM's management took it as an article of faith (and corporate strategy) that their own tablet would be embraced as a serious working tool by professionals. "Amateur hour is over", right? And one sees this attitude right now in comments about the (vaporish) Windows tablets that are going to finally let people get real work done.

Maybe there's an opening for Android here, but who is going to exploit it? As Dr Millmoss points out, apps for iOS already exist. Developers have no incentive to port or create apps when the Android tablet user base is all but nonexistent. Android OEMS are hardware makers. Google has other priorities. Recent experience has shown that when you give Apple this kind of lead, it's awfully hard to catch up.
post #23 of 71
Quote:

...Also tablet computers are hurtling towards becoming commodity items, mainly due to Android proliferation. Tablets aren't sold in blister packs on checkout aisles yet, but this is not far off.

Where do you see evidence of this? Any evidence at all?
post #24 of 71
Quote:

With no regular, guaranteed updates then you have to worry about bug fixes and security. Until one of the manufacturers steps up in customer service, i don't see them making headway into this type of market anytime soon. Commodified or not.

If the tablet comes with the software preinstalled, then updates are probably not an issue. Keep in mind, I'm talking single purpose, such as the kiosk function discussed in this article. An Android OEM could probably manufacture a tablet that does this one thing well enough and sell it for a price far lower than Apple does, or even can. It becomes disposable tech, good for a year or two, like most mobile phones are already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzpolice View Post

I think this is probably true in many of the enterprise zones where Apple products have begun to appear and multiply. In fact you could probably replace "aviation" in the last two sentences with almost any other business --

"The company is fundamentally mistrusted by many in X. Apple has been fortunate in that the killer X apps have appeared first on the iOS platform."

-- and the statement would be equally true. Justly or not, Apple has a longstanding rep for making things for your kids to play with. Once an idea like this gets entrenched, it's hard to dislodge. By all accounts, for example, RIM's management took it as an article of faith (and corporate strategy) that their own tablet would be embraced as a serious working tool by professionals. "Amateur hour is over", right? And one sees this attitude right now in comments about the (vaporish) Windows tablets that are going to finally let people get real work done.

Maybe there's an opening for Android here, but who is going to exploit it? As Dr Millmoss points out, apps for iOS already exist. Developers have no incentive to port or create apps when the Android tablet user base is all but nonexistent. Android OEMS are hardware makers. Google has other priorities. Recent experience has shown that when you give Apple this kind of lead, it's awfully hard to catch up.

Yes, aviation is just one example that I happen to know about personally. Pilots are thrilled by the iPad and the navigation software (ForeFlight being the most popular). The rapid penetration of this tech into the (normally hidebound) aviation community is amazing. Yet, I hear pilots say quite often that they don't use the iPad for much if anything else, and they'd prefer an Android tablet if it could do the same thing, for a variety of reasons. This one particular application seems ripe for an incursion by Android -- and some others too, I'd imagine.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #25 of 71
Quote:

Kindle Fire, $199. A sign of things to come.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #26 of 71
There are still a lot of supposedly brilliant people, critics and pundits that claim the iPad is one of the most useless devices that was ever made and that absolutely no one has any use for one after spending more than an hour with it. They'd prefer if those kiosks were running Windows netbooks because the Windows netbook can do so much more for anyone who uses it. This is the sort of attitude that is rather amazing. Consumers and businesses are using them all the time and yet iPads are still being claimed to be useless devices. You have to wonder why there are so many idiots in this world that continue to make statements like that. \
post #27 of 71
Quote:

You're already seeing it with the Nook Color and Kindle Fire, both of which would almost be considered premium considering the even cheaper Archos & Viewsonic's.

Want to get really cheap but with still decent quality? Ainol's Novo7 (7" display) comes in under $100, but already uses Android 4.0 on a 1GHz single-core MIPS processor. OK battery life too, quoted at 8 hours of video playtime, 7 hours of web-browsing. The Dr's right. Specialized use tablets with pre-loaded content (GameStop's giving it a go) and inexpensive media consumption slates are going to change a lot of purchasing decisions IMO.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #28 of 71
Quote:

"The RIM PlayBook is the real deal. It's exactly what enterprises are waiting for. iPads are just toys and no good for anything else except playing games." How many jackasses made that claim and now you can't even give those PlayBooks away? There are far too many retarded people who are in charge of running the enterprise computing platforms.
post #29 of 71
Quote:

Kindle Fire, $199. A sign of things to come.

Ah. So when you refer to a "commodity", you mean something unlike anything else available?

I think that I may stick to the Chicago Merc's definition, as your usage is "typical" when employing the concept of commodity.
post #30 of 71
Quote:

If the tablet comes with the software preinstalled, then updates are probably not an issue. Keep in mind, I'm talking single purpose, such as the kiosk function discussed in this article. An Android OEM could probably manufacture a tablet that does this one thing well enough and sell it for a price far lower than Apple does, or even can. It becomes disposable tech, good for a year or two, like most mobile phones are already.

Even with a pre-installed app, I seriously doubt any company that deals with its customers safety or privacy would trust gear that doesn't get regular security patches.
post #31 of 71
Quote:

Even with a pre-installed app, I seriously doubt any company that deals with its customers safety or privacy would trust gear that doesn't get regular security patches.

The US military is adopting Android-compatible smartphones as their official choice, and the intelligence agencies are probably close to the same decision. They won't be reliant on Google updates like Android 4.0 either, so that's of no real concern to them.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/18/2...-army-networks
http://www.androidauthority.com/u-s-...es-soon-33588/

Even tho approval for iPhones and iPads may follow at some point, "approval for these two may come nine months to a year from now. He mentioned that Apple has yet to demonstrate high level of security in its supply chain"
post #32 of 71
Quote:

Southeast Asia.

Same with Android handsets. That's where the bulk of the activations these days are coming from: inexpensive handsets from companies like Huawei, Pantech, ZTC, etc. that aren't being used as traditional smartphones but are mostly being used as touchscreen feature phones, calling and texting, but little else in terms of app downloads and usage.
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Southeast Asia.

Same with Android handsets. That's where the bulk of the activations these days are coming from: inexpensive handsets from companies like Huawei, Pantech, ZTC, etc. that aren't being used as traditional smartphones but are mostly being used as touchscreen feature phones, calling and texting, but little else in terms of app downloads and usage.

Even some high-end Android handsets can attract lines overseas. The Chinese in particular are infatuated with smartphones, Android and iOS alike

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/01/m...hina-as-usual/
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The US military is adopting Android-compatible smartphones as their official choice, and the intelligence agencies are probably close to the same decision. They won't be reliant on Google updates like Android 4.0 either, so that's of no real concern to them.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/18/2...-army-networks
http://www.androidauthority.com/u-s-...es-soon-33588/

Even tho approval for iPhones and iPads may follow at some point, "approval for these two may come nine months to a year from now. He mentioned that Apple has yet to demonstrate high level of security in its supply chain"

I had read that previously but wanted to make sure I reread them before responding. Those android phones are being put on the government's own private network as opposed to commercial cell service. I think that's a completely different animal than a hospital or an airline. I doubt Delta wants to create its own ubiquitous cell network just to adopt android tablets.
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You're already seeing it with the Nook Color and Kindle Fire, both of which would almost be considered premium considering the even cheaper Archos & Viewsonic's.

Want to get really cheap but with still decent quality? Ainol's Novo7 (7" display) comes in under $100, but already uses Android 4.0 on a 1GHz single-core MIPS processor. OK battery life too, quoted at 8 hours of video playtime, 7 hours of web-browsing. The Dr's right. Specialized use tablets with pre-loaded content (GameStop's giving it a go) and inexpensive media consumption slates are going to change a lot of purchasing decisions IMO.

The question in my mind isn't if, or when, but how much, and what Apple can do to defend its turf. It may well come to pass that Apple continues to reign as king of the general purpose tablet but will at the same time be competing with many limited or single-purpose Android tablets in endless permutations nibbling around the edges. Could be rough going, and maybe now we're seeing why Steve was so intent on defeating Android on an intellectual property basis.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #36 of 71
Quote:

The question in my mind isn't if, or when, but how much, and what Apple can do to defend its turf. It may well come to pass that Apple continues to reign as king of the general purpose tablet but will at the same time be competing with many limited or single-purpose Android tablets in endless permutations nibbling around the edges. Could be rough going, and maybe now we're seeing why Steve was so intent on defeating Android on an intellectual property basis.

If that's the case, then why couldn't Dell translate its massive corporate client list into tablet sales? If hundreds of businesses trust their desktop/laptop computing to Dell, surely those companies would trust it for tablet purchases and deployment which would have kept the product going before consumer takeoff occurred. Instead, it made no headway and killed their android products off.
post #37 of 71
Quote:

I had read that previously but wanted to make sure I reread them before responding. Those android phones are being put on the government's own private network as opposed to commercial cell service. I think that's a completely different animal than a hospital or an airline. I doubt Delta wants to create its own ubiquitous cell network just to adopt android tablets.

The hospital kiosk application discussed in this article seems dead simple to me, and hardly requiring an iPad by definition (we're talking about visitor checkin and information). On the more complex end of the scale, I can see a company with long aviation data experience such as Garmin or Jeppesen building a dedicated tablet around Android. Probably a lot of these efforts will fail, but likely some will succeed. A high casualty rate doesn't hurt Android or Google, but a few notable successes will sure hurt Apple.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #38 of 71
Quote:

But that's the point the Dr. was making. The US government won't care if Samsung or HTC rolls out an update. Neither would many firms where security is a prime concern. In fact for those types of clients which might include power plants, certain chemical companies, DoD-contracted suppliers and designers as well as others, Apple's products might be poor choices. That's for the "specialized" tablets that fit the Dr's description.

Just like the military and intelligence agencies, they often need very specialized and secure communications devices. Android can provide that customization required. Others' may have a very limited use product or need where access to outside communications needs to be extremely limited or perhaps non-existent. That's not where Apple probably needs or wants to go from appearances and history. Their focus is on the individual users and enterprises that can comfortably work in their curated ecosystem, where security is "good enough". For companies and organizations having very specialized uses, or those that need highly secure systems, Android would make the better choice, at least for now IMO.
post #39 of 71
Quote:

The hospital kiosk application discussed in this article seems dead simple to me, and hardly requiring an iPad by definition (we're talking about visitor checkin and information). On the more complex end of the scale, I can see a company with long aviation data experience such as Garmin or Jeppesen building a dedicated tablet around Android. Probably a lot of these efforts will fail, but likely some will succeed. A high casualty rate doesn't hurt Android or Google, but a few notable successes will sure hurt Apple.

I suppose I could see a Garmin android tablet that was a fork that locked out many other services, but that goes back to my initial point about customer service coming from the company selling it.
post #40 of 71
Quote:

If that's the case, then why couldn't Dell translate its massive corporate client list into tablet sales? If hundreds of businesses trust their desktop/laptop computing to Dell, surely those companies would trust it for tablet purchases and deployment which would have kept the product going before consumer takeoff occurred. Instead, it made no headway and killed their android products off.

Because Dell is inept? Counting on the ineptitude of your competitors is a poor business plan.

Besides, what I am talking about here is vertical markets. I suspect that Apple is in a very good position to remain the dominant force in general purpose tablet computing for the next couple of years at least. But I'd also predict that Apple is going to have a hard time defending its turf in the vertical markets.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Hospitals adopting Apple's iPad for patient and visitor kiosks