or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Designer Jony Ive reportedly has a 50-inch Apple television in his studio

Designer Jony Ive reportedly has a 50-inch Apple television in his studio

post #1 of 125
A "slick" 50-inch Apple television is said to be housed in the secure California studio of Jonathan Ive, Apple's acclaimed head of product design.

Citing an anonymous source who worked at Apple, USA Today revealed that the 50-inch television secretly resides in the "locked-down studio" of Ive. The person also reportedly said that Apple is looking to build an LCD television sized 42 inches or larger with built-in Wi-Fi functionality.

Aside from those details, the report offers little else that is new about Apple's anticipated television set. Author Scott Martin notes that Apple's rumored TV set is going to receive "big buzz" at next week's Consumer Electronics Show, even though the Cupertino, Calif., company isn't attending the event.

The story also features a quote from Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, who said he expects Apple will make "an attempt" to build a TV. He believes the living room will "remain a center for family entertainment, and that touches on all areas of consumer products that Apple is already making."

The new details, if true, suggest Apple is not interested in building an HDTV with a screen size of less than 42 inches. That contradicts a story from a month ago, which claimed Apple was looking to build televisions with three screen sizes, starting on the low end at 32 inches, and maxing out at 55 inches.

Other reports have indicated that Apple plans to use custom chips, like it does with the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, to power its new integrated television. The USA Today report reiterated those apparent intentions, and also suggested that the inclusion of AirPlay and iCloud integration could make such a product enticing to consumers.

The main hold-up, onlookers believe, is content licensing deals. Gartner analyst Mark McGuire believes that Apple will have to pay a high price to obtain the kind of access it seeks.

Rumors have suggested Apple wants to be able to offer customers customized channel lineups with its anticipated television set. Such a plan could offer customers the ability to choose whichever channels or shows they want for a monthly subscription fee.

But content providers are said to have resisted Apple's offers for subscription-based plans. Networks similarly turned a cold shoulder to Apple's plans for 99 cent TV show rentals, which were discontinued on iTunes last August.

Rumors of an Apple-built HDTV began to pick up steam late last year, when it was revealed that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs told his biographer that he had "cracked' the secret to building an integrated, easy-to-use television set. He said the device "will have the simplest user interface you could imagine."
post #2 of 125
50" is good news, hopefully 60 through 80 not far behind I'd like a 100" that 'rolls' up into a ceiling housing and drops down at the command to Siri.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #3 of 125
And since there are probably FIVE people who are allowed in Jony's den, we can easily check the recent Apple firings to see if this is a real leak.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #4 of 125
Some bozo just pulled this right out of his butt crack. It's easy to quote "anonymous" sources. If the information is bogus there's no price to pay is there. And USA Today is a bastion of quality journalism isn't it.

Nothing innovative here. Android TVs have been around for years.... slappy
post #5 of 125
I really, really love my Apple products. And I hope that if they build a TV, it's successful for them.

But I hope they also incorporate the same ideas and tech into an upgraded AppleTV box, because I already have a beautiful, functional, huge television. I'm not looking for another one, and I suspect a lot of people are in the same condition.

The current AppleTV works well, and in conjunction with Plex and my iPad I've used it to eliminate cableTV altogether. My fear is that they get greedy, cancel the ATV box, and push people toward the TV which I can't justify buying, after what I just recently spent on my current one!
post #6 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And since there are probably FIVE people who are allowed in Jony's den, we can easily check the recent Apple firings to see if this is a real leak.

You forget ... the cleaning staff
post #7 of 125
1) I wouldn't be surprised if Ives has several Apple prototypes and one-off designs he helped create for personal use, but that doesn't mean these will come to market.

2) Again, we're still talking about how to you overcome or integrate into the world's most closed and effective entertainment ecosystem. Not making a TV without any inputs, as Ireland suggests, isn't going to cut it, and putting an AppleTV in a TV isn't a revolutionary or clever idea.

3) I played Dance Central on Xbox 360 this past weekend for the first time. The way you move your hands to interact with the data onscreen was interesting. It felt sloppy and crude much the way smartphones with single-touch resistive screens requiring a stylus were before the iPhone showed them the only viable way. While I have doubts about a TV for many reasons already discussed I can see how a camera in the bezel and a sensors running the frame of the set could allow for a very sensitive and advance interface that can utilize their facial recognition software.

4) I wish AI would hire there own graphics editor. Besides not liking to see the same image over-and-over I think it would help the site if they could be the go-to site for finding renderings based on rumours. I think it could get then a lot more page hits.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #8 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The main hold-up, onlookers believe, is content licensing deals.

Remember that iPhone 4 song following 'Antennae-gate" where at the end of the song the verse went, 'If you bought one and you don't like it, bring it back... Bring it back... Bring it back to the Apple store... But you know you won't!'

C'mon content providers you balk at giving Apple what they need for their next latest greatest thing that in the end would probably bode well for you as well... Well, we need the iPhone 4 songwriter, Jonathan Mann, to write an Apple TV song where then ending goes...

'You balk at content licensing deals... You say you won't do it... You say you won't... But you know you will!'
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #9 of 125
I guess Apple's releasing their landline phone, too.

And IT'S ABOUT TIME. I've always wanted to write checks via phone.

post #10 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Some bozo just pulled this right out of his butt crack. It's easy to quote "anonymous" sources. If the information is bogus there's no price to pay is there. And USA Today is a bastion of quality journalism isn't it.

Nothing innovative here. Android TVs have been around for years.... slappy

What? You don't trust anonymous reports? Heck, I just read an anonymous report that Slappy is a transgender chimp that learned to type using a pre release Android phone with a plastic keyboard.
post #11 of 125
Quote:
Rumors of an Apple-built HDTV began to pick up steam earlier this year.

Errr... last year.
post #12 of 125
It doesn't make a lot of sense to build a small TV, when we know it will have to sell for a premium price. I would expect mainstream sizes, like in the order of 46-55 inch, with bigger ones coming in the future.

However, I would expect that the 27" iMac could be increased somewhat in size to create a 32" or 37" iMac. I would certainly salivate at that, especially with the same pixel density as the current 27" screen (which I own, love and am writing this on now).

I think it would be a no-brainer to make the Apple TV software run on both the TV and the iMac, since the iMac makes a very useful viewing device for Internet video as it stands.

D
post #13 of 125
Would be LED surely....? LCDs are living room fatties these days.
post #14 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post

It doesn't make a lot of sense to build a small TV, when we know it will have to sell for a premium price. I would expect mainstream sizes, like in the order of 46-55 inch, with bigger ones coming in the future.

However, I would expect that the 27" iMac could be increased somewhat in size to create a 32" or 37" iMac. I would certainly salivate at that, especially with the same pixel density as the current 27" screen (which I own, love and am writing this on now).

I think it would be a no-brainer to make the Apple TV software run on both the TV and the iMac, since the iMac makes a very useful viewing device for Internet video as it stands.

D

That's part of the problem with this whole Apple HDTV issue. I want Apple to connect every room that has a TV, not just the living room. That means I want the bedrooms, guest rooms, den, living room, and even the master bathroom to all an AppleTV that can switch content to my last saved point as I leave one room and enter another. I won't have a 50" TV in all rooms because it doesn't make sense.

The only way to do this is to offer an AppleTV appliance that connects to any all devices with an HDMI connection. They would be remiss to ignore the rest of the house when they can finally unify the entire system the way DirectTV is with the Whole Home DVR service.

post #15 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I wouldn't be surprised if Ives has several Apple prototypes and one-off designs he helped create for personal use, but that doesn't mean these will come to market.

2) Again, we're still talking about how to you overcome or integrate into the world's most closed and effective entertainment ecosystem? Not putting any ports input ports on the TV, as Ireland suggests, isn't going to cut it, and putting an AppleTV in a TV isn't a revolutionary or clever idea.

3) I played Dance Central on Xbox 360 this past weekend for the first time. The way you move your hands to interact with the data onscreen was interesting. It felt sloppy and crude much the way smartphones with single-touch resistive touch screens requiring a stylus were before the iPhone showed them the only viable way. While I have doubts about a TV for many reasons already discussed a camera in the bezel and a sensors running the frame of the set could allow for a very sensitive and advance interface that can utilize their well in-use face recognition software.

4) I wish AI would hire there own graphics editor. Besides not liking to see the same image over-and-over I think it would help the site if they could be the go-to site for finding renderings based on rumours. I think it could get then a lot more page hits.

I agree.
post #16 of 125
Quote:

2) Again, we're still talking about how to you overcome or integrate into the world's most closed and effective entertainment ecosystem? Not putting any ports input ports on the TV, as Ireland suggests, isn't going to cut it, and putting an AppleTV in a TV isn't a revolutionary or clever idea.

3) I played Dance Central on Xbox 360 this past weekend for the first time. The way you move your hands to interact with the data onscreen was interesting. It felt sloppy and crude much the way smartphones with single-touch resistive touch screens requiring a stylus were before the iPhone showed them the only viable way. While I have doubts about a TV for many reasons already discussed a camera in the bezel and a sensors running the frame of the set could allow for a very sensitive and advance interface that can utilize their well in-use face recognition software.

the current kinect hardware uses the x-box cpu for everything which is why they graphics are worse than non-kinect games and the way it's made it's better if you wear tight clothing. it will miss a lot of movement if you wear lose clothing.

and i never use it to navigate since it's not very accurate in the x-box gui

but it's a cool concept and will be a killer feature in the next x-box version.

Roku has a cool concept. they allow dev access to the box and content providers build apps that stream data. you add any apps you want. there are 350 current apps and a lot more dev apps in testing.
post #17 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd like a 100" that 'rolls' up into a ceiling housing and drops down at the command to Siri.

But Mr. Bond, you already HAVE such a TV. Also an Apple-built Aston Martin that runs on iced tea.
post #18 of 125
I think the TV area is one where people pay more attention to cost. If a 50" Apple HDTV goes for the price of an 70" LED 3D TV, that isn't going to sell well.
post #19 of 125
Quote:

Rumors have suggested Apple wants to be able to offer customers customized channel lineups with its anticipated television set. Such a plan could offer customers the ability to choose whichever channels or shows they want for a monthly subscription fee.

But content providers are said to have resisted Apple's offers for subscription-based plans. Networks similarly turned a cold shoulder to Apple's plans for 99 cent TV show rentals, which were discontinued on iTunes last August.

Rumors of an Apple-built HDTV began to pick up steam earlier this year, when it was revealed that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs told his biographer that he had "cracked' the secret to building an integrated, easy-to-use television set. He said the device "will have the simplest user interface you could imagine."

I point out again, all of this can be achieved with an upgraded Apple TV set-top box, so why sell a full tv at all? What's Apple going to bring to the tv itself that can't be achieved with a box?
post #20 of 125
Quote:

... making a TV without any inputs, as Ireland suggests, isn't going to cut it ....

I keep hearing this sentiment, but I never hear any justification for it.

"Ireland" has been dead wrong about so many things I'm not sure why you mention his name.

It doesn't have to be a TV for every conceivable customer, it could easily start off as a luxury item for those of us that are already on the bleeding edge. Obviously Jane and Joe Average are still going to want cable, they want their TVs cheap cheap cheap, and they won't care that Apple's screen has a better colour reproduction than the average POS. Those folks will buy Google's mess or stick to what they have.

IMO an Apple branded TV with (maybe) an optical slot on the side like an iMac and no inputs other than wireless would be just fine. I know it's pretty much exactly what I want and need and I know I'm not alone. A lot of folks just want a slab to hang on the wall that "just works" and a huge number of people under 40 or so don't watch cable TV at all and don't have a giant wall of DVDs or BluRays like the over 50's tend to have.

Apple TV, Neteflix, Vimeo, YouTube and a few other channels/apps streaming over the Internet is really all a lot of folks want now. No commercials, no PVR, no bother about schedules and times, no censorship, lesser barriers between countries for content. It's a win-win-win-win to have no inputs other than WiFi AFAIKS.
post #21 of 125
If Jony's lab is anything like design labs I've been in at other companies, there are all kinds of prototypes, mock-ups, test products and one-offs laying around being messed with.

Given the legendary security around these labs, I question the legitimacy of the anonymous leak. Said security has been remarked upon in other threads herein, so no surprise there. Perhaps someone seeking their 15 minutes of (anonymous) fame.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
post #22 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I point out again, all of this can be achieved with an upgraded Apple TV set-top box, so why sell a full tv at all? What's Apple going to bring to the tv itself that can't be achieved with a box?

Apple industrial design. A lot of people downgrade how important this is in selling Apple products but I think for a lot of people this tips the balance towards 'buy' in the buy/don't buy decision node. Especially if it's going in the living room which for a lot of people is the best furnished room in their home.
post #23 of 125
Jony ♥ Telly
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #24 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

The iPad is an LCD.

Just because Panasonic puts their LCDs into six inch thick mostly empty plastic boxes doesn't mean Apple will.
post #25 of 125
Regarding Jobs' "cracked" comment, which AI seems to paste into every story these days, I wish he had made this comment in regards to content deals. I don't think anyone is worried about the interface this rumored TV will have; it's what the interface will have access to that worries me instead.
post #26 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

But Mr. Bond, you already HAVE such a TV. Also an Apple-built Aston Martin that runs on iced tea.

too funny! Thanks for the laugh. B
post #27 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The iPad is an LCD.

Just because Panasonic puts their LCDs into six inch thick mostly empty plastic boxes doesn't mean Apple will.

Apple are not going plasma, or OLED, so they have only LCD to choose at this time. When people refer to current large TVs as LED, they are really LCD, the LED is simply providing the backlight, replacing the older CCFL type of backlight
post #28 of 125
Quote:

i have a tv with 3 hdmi slots. everything wants hdmi these days and i'm all out. x-box, ps3 and dvr.

if apple will sell a tv with itunes, youtube, netflix, hulu and amazon built in i'll probably buy it and cancel cable
post #29 of 125
I don't believe the tv will be a traditional tv. I have a feeling that social networking will be the big selling feature ala FaceTime/iChat - the tv will have a camera.
Why watch Family Feud when you can play it against your extended family and create your own entertainment.
Selecting your own 'subscription' packages is hardly "cracking" tv as stated by Jobs.

If this prediction were true - then the question would be; do consumers want a tv with a camera on it? It would have fun applications, but also leave the door wide open for massive privacy abuse like smart phones and Facebook currently do.
post #30 of 125
Anonymous sources also claim that the iPhone 4S would be called iPhone 5 and have an aluminum back.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Jony ♥ Telly

Why shouldn't he? Telly Savalas was a badass
post #32 of 125
Quote:

I think what's missing here is the User-Interface. The current ATV interface is OK, but to really use it well you need an iDevice (typing, gaming, web mirroring, etc...) So to answer your question, it will be some amazingly simple user-interface that will separate this HDTV from the current STB. Then you can start to take command of your whole network and household through the TV.

My personal wish would be for the rumored TV to have ATV + Time Capsule + iOS (meaning user downloadable apps) and instant mirroring of any iDevice or Mac in your house...then add a super simple UI to that which will = Apple HDTV. Think about it as your home server for all content. Now add a subscription service for A-la-carte TV channels (as rumored) and you could finally cut the cord on cable TV.
post #33 of 125
Quote:

That's part of the problem with this whole Apple HDTV issue. I want Apple to connect every room that has a TV, not just the living room. That means I want the bedrooms, guest rooms, den, living room, and even the master bathroom to all an AppleTV that can switch content to my last saved point as I leave one room and enter another. I won't have a 50" TV in all rooms because it doesn't make sense.

The only way to do this is to offer an AppleTV appliance that connects to any all devices with an HDMI connection. They would be remiss to ignore the rest of the house when they can finally unify the entire system the way DirectTV is with the Whole Home DVR service.

...Or, an AppleTV STB with cable/dish IN, Antenna IN, HDMI out and WiFi In/Out...

The AppleTV STB becomes TV Central Multiplexor to fixed WiFi displays in other rooms or mobile WiFi displays anywhere within range:

$149 -- 9.7" 2012 Personal TV *
$299 -- 15" 2012 Personal TV *
$299 -- 9.7" 2012 iPad 2 (or any existing iPad 1 or 2)
$499 -- 9.7" 2012 iPad 3 **
$699 -- 15" 2012 iPad 3 **

* Personal TVs would not have enough SSD for more than system apps.

** iPad 3 prices are for low-end base model, WiFi only.

There are possibilities for additional, larger screen sizes for iPads or Personal TVs.

All/any of these can be used as Intercoms, Baby/Security monitors, self-contained remotes and for web/mail access.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #34 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Regarding Jobs' "cracked" comment, which AI seems to paste into every story these days, I wish he had made this comment in regards to content deals. I don't think anyone is worried about the interface this rumored TV will have; it's what the interface will have access to that worries me instead.

I second this comment.
post #35 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Sigh...

LED's *ARE* LCD's.

The difference is whether or not the LCD is fluorescent backlit or LED backlit. There is no way Apple will release a non LED backlit TV. The iMac I'm staring at right now is an LCD. And it is LED backlit.
post #36 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Please don't tease the British. They're already sensitive about losing their empire, the colonies, that tea party in Boston, their language and spelling being revised by Americans, etc.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #37 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...Or, an AppleTV STB with cable/dish IN, Antenna IN, HDMI out and WiFi In/Out...

The AppleTV STB becomes TV Central Multiplexor to fixed WiFi displays in other rooms or mobile WiFi displays anywhere within range:

$149 -- 9.7" 2012 Personal TV *
$299 -- 15" 2012 Personal TV *
$299 -- 9.7" 2012 iPad 2 (or any existing iPad 1 or 2)
$499 -- 9.7" 2012 iPad 3 **
$699 -- 15" 2012 iPad 3 **

* Personal TVs would not have enough SSD for more than system apps.

** iPad 3 prices are for low-end base model, WiFi only.

There are possibilities for additional, larger screen sizes for iPads or Personal TVs.

All/any of these can be used as Intercoms, Baby/Security monitors, self-contained remotes and for web/mail access.

SONY tried this years ago and it was a FAIL. Granted this is 2012 now and we're talking about Apple. So it could be a different story. But, it could be simply an App that connects to your home network and TV service....Or iTunes, yeah, that's right...iTunes kind of does this already with iCloud.
post #38 of 125
Yes but what does he watch? I imagine he shuttles compulsively from one project to the other, periodically stopping at the TV to watch this doc on his nemesis Marc Newson. Or maybe this doc on Dieter Rams.
post #39 of 125
Quote:

A "slick" 50-inch Apple television is said to be housed in the secure California studio of Jonathan Ive, Apple's acclaimed head of product design.

That's "the secure California studio of Sir Jonathan Ive, KCBE,..."

post #40 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i have a tv with 3 hdmi slots. everything wants hdmi these days and i'm all out. x-box, ps3 and dvr.

if apple will sell a tv with itunes, youtube, netflix, hulu and amazon built in i'll probably buy it and cancel cable

Ok, but if that's your situation then why opt for a $1,999 50" iTV as opposed to a $999 50" Panasonic Plasma with enough HDMI ports to add a $99 Apple TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think what's missing here is the User-Interface. The current ATV interface is OK, but to really use it well you need an iDevice (typing, gaming, web mirroring, etc...) So to answer your question, it will be some amazingly simple user-interface that will separate this HDTV from the current STB. Then you can start to take command of your whole network and household through the TV.

If it's all in the user interface, and the content is still limited to what's available on iTunes (which you know it will be), then again why not just roll that new-and-improved interface into an upgraded Apple TV set-top box?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Designer Jony Ive reportedly has a 50-inch Apple television in his studio