or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to ship high-res 'iPad 3' in March, 'iPad 4' with new apps in October

Rumor: Apple to ship high-res 'iPad 3' in March, 'iPad 4' with new apps in October

post #1 of 105
Rumors of two iPad model launches in the same calendar year were rekindled again on Friday, with a new, questionable report claiming Apple plans to debut a third-generation iPad in March, while an "iPad 4" will arrive in October of this year.

Citing component makers in Taiwan, DigiTimes reported on Friday that the so-called "iPad 3" will launch in March with a high-resolution Retina Display, like is found on the iPhone and iPod touch. That will be followed by an "iPad 4" with "killer applications" set to launch in October.

The report claimed that Apple is planning to launch the fourth iPad quickly in October to counter a rumored Google-branded tablet as well as touchscreen devices running Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system. The Taiwanese industry publication said the fourth iPad will feature "much upgraded hardware specifications and integrated applications so as to compete with an array of Android-, Wintel- or WoA (Windows on ARM)-based tablet PCs to be released in the fourth quarter."

As for the third-generation iPad, the report said it will feature a QXGA display with a resolution of 1,536-by-2,048 pixels. It will also sport longer battery life, but reportedly "may not be so amazing as expected."

Finally, the publication also reiterated belief that Apple will continue to sell the current iPad 2, but will drop its price to $399, much like Apple currently does with older iPhone models. Such a move is believed to be in an effort to counter lower priced tablets that are available, such as the Kindle Fire for $199.

Of course, Friday's report should be taken with a heavy dose of skepticism, as similar rumors surfaced numerous occasions last year that Apple planned to launch a third-generation iPad in 2011. That, of course, never came to be, and Apple stayed true to its promise of 2011 being the "Year of iPad 2."

In addition, DigiTimes has had a hit-or-miss track record with Apple-related rumors over the years. Just last week, the publication claimed Apple planned to unveil two new iPad models at the MacWorld | iWorld conference later this month, but those claims were quickly disputed by the well-sourced Jim Dalrymple at The Loop.
post #2 of 105
Why would Apple worry about countering some rumored Google tablet? They practically own the market and an iPad 3 release would only further that.
post #3 of 105
The idea that Apple would release an iPad 4 in 2012 is so ridiculous that AppleInsider have tarnished their own credibility by republishing it.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #4 of 105
Must be the new year. Yet another rumor that two iPads will be released in the same calendar year. Just like they release two new iPhone models every year..... oh, wait. Well, at least they release two new models of each of the iPods every year.... oh, wait. iPad 3 will be released in Spring/Summer, iPhone will be released in Summer/Fall, iPods will fall somewhere in there, rinse and repeat for next year. Predictable unpredictability. That's what Apple is great at.
post #5 of 105
Maybe it's time I stopped reading rumour sites...
post #6 of 105
Did digitimes set up a template for this story last year so that they could just increment all of the relevant numbers (2011, 2, 3) by 1?

The only thing that I can imagine might be missing in a March iPad that could be added by October would be LTE.

If the iPad 3 is missing LTE, I'll probably buy a cheap iPad 2 to replace my aging iPad 1. The retina display doesn't do much for me (my retinas just aren't up to it), and the iPad2 has a plenty fast processor. If Apple were to add LTE in the fall, I would just sell the iPad 2 and buy the iPad3 with LTE at that time.

(note -- I realize that there are probably tons of people who really can tell the difference between a retina display and a non-retina display. I don't mean to suggest you can't, so don't flame me. I just really do have lame retinas -- it's a legit medical condition).
post #7 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The idea that Apple would release an iPad 4 in 2012 is so ridiculous that AppleInsider have tarnished their own credibility by republishing it.

They just want to get a head start on April 1.

Hint to AI editors: If the source is Digitimes, you can forget it. The odds of it being true are near zero. If it IS true, you'll get the same information from other sites.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #8 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

My thoughts exactly ...
post #9 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for the third-generation iPad, the report said it will feature a QXGA display with a resolution of 1,536-by-2,048 pixels. It will also sport longer battery life, but reportedly "may not be so amazing as expected."

What are the amazing expectations, other than a Retina display and faster processor? Most of the rest is more likely to come in the next iOS surely?
post #10 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

Yep, let the trolls have 'em. Trolls are the majority anyway. See AI and MacRumors for confirmation.
post #11 of 105
I'm cutting way back on these sites. Apple has gotten so popular that these "rumors" have become a click bait cottage industry that have sullied the fun. Scoopertino is just as accurate and more fun.
post #12 of 105
Urgh we get this same rumour for every iPhone or iPad now, not one being released but two its always wrong though
post #13 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yep, let the trolls have 'em. Trolls are the majority anyway. See AI and MacRumors for confirmation.

Trolls and shills, but only because they're allowed to.

AI would gain considerable respectability both by ignoring Digitimes rumors, and by simply banning a) people who's only point in posting is to say, "I knew this was a DED article from the headline," b) obvious trolls like the current slappy (seriously, what exactly is the point of not banning him?) and c) equally obvious shills like Gatorguy (I mean, I know he has to make a living, but not here, with his constant stream of innuendo, misinformation and outright lies).

Eventually, every forum goes into a death spiral when these people are allowed to poison it.
post #14 of 105
Quote:

Trolls ruin all the great investigative reporting sites...
post #15 of 105
I do wonder when Apple will be putting LTE in the iPad "3". March feels too soon... Perhaps the Oct rumor is just to swap out some guts.

Edit: I would be kinda cool if Apple would get the iPhone and iPad releases in sync.
post #16 of 105
At least make it believable. Try iPad 3/iPad 3s.
post #17 of 105
AppleInsider, I'd like to request you never report an article from these jokers ever again.
post #18 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Trolls and shills, but only because they're allowed to.

AI would gain considerable respectability both by ignoring Digitimes rumors..

This site wouldn't even exist without constantly regurgitating rumors from others.
post #19 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Trolls ruin all the great investigative reporting sites...

Such as?
post #20 of 105
Quote:

Didn't used to be like that. Back in the day we only had one real troll here on AI, and he did a good job at it. Tekstud was one of those rare trolls that looked rather respectable compared to what we've got now. And I joined AI vs MacRumors specifically because of their more civil forums. I've only got enough time to invest in one forum, and this one is still my favorite/the best (if degrading over time - kinda like America, you know?).
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #21 of 105
This is the dumbest iPad rumor since the iPad 3 was supposedly coming out last fall with the doubled res screen.
post #22 of 105
this is completely wrong. apple will not release 2 iPads in 2012, they will release 4.
the first will be late this month and will be 7" and cost $249 to compete with the kindle fire. It will be called the iPad mini.

then in april, apple will release the iPad Pro which will have the same design as the current iPad but will include a retina display, quad core A6 processor, and better cameras and will sell starting at $699.

in July, they will release the iPad 3. It will be a complete redesign, but have basically the same specs as the iPad Pro, run the newly released iOS 6, and start at $499. it will come in multiple colors (front and back).

Finally in October, apple will announce the iPad mega. It will have a 15" display to compete with all of the android tablets, who failed after competing with the iPad and just started making larger screened tablets to appease fanboys and give them something to hold on to as they all point out how small the iPad screen is. it will sell for $899, be made of liquid metal that has been infused with helium in order to bring the weight down to 0.5 pounds. it will lose the dock connector and charge kinetically by shaking the device. you will never need to worry about charging it however, because most of the controls have been replaced by shaking gestures.

mark my words. my source is solid (digitimes).
post #23 of 105
Come on AI you're losing credibility here.
post #24 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

this is completely wrong. apple will not release 2 iPads in 2012, they will release 4.
the first will be late this month and will be 7" and cost $249 to compete with the kindle fire. It will be called the iPad mini.

then in april, apple will release the iPad Pro which will have the same design as the current iPad but will include a retina display, quad core A6 processor, and better cameras and will sell starting at $699.

in July, they will release the iPad 3. It will be a complete redesign, but have basically the same specs as the iPad Pro, run the newly released iOS 6, and start at $499. it will come in multiple colors (front and back).

Finally in October, apple will announce the iPad mega. It will have a 15" display to compete with all of the android tablets, who failed after competing with the iPad and just started making larger screened tablets to appease fanboys and give them something to hold on to as they all point out how small the iPad screen is. it will sell for $899, be made of liquid metal that has been infused with helium in order to bring the weight down to 0.5 pounds. it will lose the dock connector and charge kinetically by shaking the device. you will never need to worry about charging it however, because most of the controls have been replaced by shaking gestures.

mark my words. my source is solid (digitimes).

This post is a thing of beauty.

And honestly, AI, stop with the DigiTimes stuff. It's ridiculous. They are ridiculous.
post #25 of 105
These rumors are increasingly preposterous. This has going on for a couple of years, but it has really accelerated in the past six months.

A sad trend. It does not improve this site's credibility nor that of the initial rumor provider.

If you are going to select rumors to report, why not pick one that is halfway plausible, not this blathering.

Oh well, a sign of the times, I suppose...
post #26 of 105
So digitimes releases an article that the google tablet would be priced to compete with the amazon fire. Now apple makes an iPad 4- 7 months after the iPad 3- to compete with something in a different class?

Stick to the 7" rumors.

Can everyone stop quoting digitimes? 8/10 stories AI posts are from them. Might as well just follow that website.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #27 of 105
Quote:

Agreed. They should be more carful with their reputation.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #28 of 105
Really, why every year everyone thinks that there gonna release two iPads?
I don't buy it but thats just me.
post #29 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

Really, why every year everyone thinks that there gonna release two iPads?

Not everyone, DigiTimes. No one else on the planet thinks that.
post #30 of 105
I didn't read the article but I suppose this is from Digitimes.
post #31 of 105
Quote:

I agree.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #32 of 105
For a moment I thought I was reading The Onion...
post #33 of 105
Yeah, report two iPads. And then when Apple only comes out with one, you can complain about how Apple let you down by only coming out with one. You know, like what was done for the iPhone last year.
post #34 of 105
I give up! I hope the Mayans are right.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #35 of 105
Yeah an the iPad 5 in December 2012 and the iPad 6 in February 2013 and the iPad 7 in June 2013. Apple Insider please let the products live, you guys are always posting this iPad 3 iPhone 5 etc etc since the day a product launches, please stop this countless stories and write about useful things or new things to do with the existing devices, I'm tired of reading the same product launch rumors all days, just STOP and let the products live the life cycle.
post #36 of 105
I like the way AI Photoshopped FCPX (and it's tiny buttons, file system, etc.) onto an iPad display!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #37 of 105
Be the first to join the SNiPEM - ' Sexy New iPad Every Month ' Club...

Or

PENiS... acronym left to the reader... (Looking for help, here!)

post #38 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by matgzx View Post

Apple Insider please let the products live, you guys are…

Please note that it's not AppleInsider making this crap up; they're just reporting it from its source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

PENiS... acronym left to the reader... (Looking for help, here!)

Please Enjoy New iPads Summarily?
post #39 of 105
Bizarre rumor, but my quick takes

1. The number of rumors and supply chain stuff on some kind of iPad3 in March is hgih enough to make it credible. Little else is.

2. Other than processor and retina screen res, doesn't sound like a big improvement over iPad 2 (but I have iPad 1 where its a big jump).

3. Two iPads in one year seems crazy, if they did something later, it would have the same name and be either a quiet update with LTE and/or something they mentioned in advance (Apple is not touchy feely and that customer sensitive), but that fast of a replacement would annoy customers that just bought the other one.

4. A reduced price iPad 2 seems very credible as it fits with the different iPhone options they do. It is also a much simpler and cost effective weigh of competing in the lower end table market against the things like the Fire without tarnishing reputation or user experience.

5. A smaller iPad is doable technologically, but seems an odd duck. Would everything be half the size of the iPad from a resolution perspective. If Apple introduces a 4.5 or 5 inch iphone 5 screen (seems very possible given market trends), this smaller iPad seems a weird place to be.

6. Longer term it would seem to me a fall replacement calender is nice as it maximizes holiday sales and older models are ripe for back to schools sales in August/September before a new one comes in. But if you do that for all products it may put too much pressure on teams within the company and partners to have so many fall launches. I find march replacements odd as you have such an incentive to wait until after the holidays and push down sales, but the data shows sales remain very robust so perhaps customers do not care.
post #40 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Please note that it's not AppleInsider making this crap up; they're just reporting it from its source.

Please Enjoy New iPads Summarily?

Fine...but don't call me Summarily!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Apple to ship high-res 'iPad 3' in March, 'iPad 4' with new apps in October
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to ship high-res 'iPad 3' in March, 'iPad 4' with new apps in October