or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › HELP! 24" White iMac with Lion Not Booting At All

HELP! 24" White iMac with Lion Not Booting At All

post #1 of 3
Hello, My 24" White iMac froze last night and we did a hard reset.

When booting, I get the gray apple, then you hear the HDD drive working, the gray gear spinning and then just a blank screen after a few minutes, but nothing at all. The strange thing is that I can see the machine on the network, both using WiFi or Ethernet, login as a user to read the HDD and it even rejects me if I put the wrong password.

One time it loaded to the point of having the wallpaper loaded with the white screen and gray apple on top, like they were superimposed and then I got a kernel panic.

SSH Is not responing, and screen sharing does not respond either.

Booting from SL DVD: Same thing. Gear gets stuck after about 5 minutes of reading and loading from the DVD.

Safe Mode: Same Thing.

Target Mode: Working and I can see the HDD. Disk Utility shows no problem with HDD after a repair for some issues.

Single User Mode: Working, was able to check the drive.

Verbose Mode: OK Until it loads the the white screen, then nothing.

Any Ideas on what I could do to solve this? It's driving me crazy although probably I will have to try reloading Lion via target mode before vising an apple store

Any suggestions on what else I could do to solve this problem are welcome! Thanks!
post #2 of 3
Sure sounds like a hardware problem, rather than OS/Software.
I'd back up that HDD (you said target disk works) then make an appointment at the nearest Apple Store.

(Keeping in mind that you've no warranty on it... they'll LOOK at it for free, but you'll be on the hook for what is likely a several hundred dollar repair... maybe it's time to consider a late xmas present to yourself! ...splurge for a new one! )
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #3 of 3
Thanks! That's what I am afraid.... I will try booting another mac from this machine's disk in target mode and see where this leads us. If I can boot like that, then we have a HW problem.

Luckily we have an apple store nearby and a 27" we bought 3 weeks ago to work... I Hope I can get her back in shape, we love it but looks like it's going to be an expensive repair....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › HELP! 24" White iMac with Lion Not Booting At All