or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple sold 1.2M MacBook Airs over holidays, new models with Ivy Bridge loom
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sold 1.2M MacBook Airs over holidays, new models with Ivy Bridge loom

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
Apple is said to have sold 1.2 million of its thin-and-light MacBook Air over the holiday buying season, as competing PC makers hope to steal some of Apple's thunder by unveiling their own "Ultrabooks" at this week's Consumer Electronics Show.

Apple's 1.2 million MacBook Airs reportedly sold in the December quarter was than Apple achieved in the September quarter, according to DigiTimes. That made Apple the only vendor that managed to maintain its total notebook shipments from the third quarter to the fourth of calendar 2011.

While Apple's performance over the holidays was strong, companies like Asus and Lenovo were hit hard by a hard drive shortage caused by devastating floods in Thailand. Asustek Computer was the hardest hit, with notebook shipments dropping 12.4 percent, while the industry average was said to be between 5 percent and 7 percent.

Another strong performance for the MacBook Air comes as Apple is expected to refresh the ultraportable notebook line in the coming months with Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge processors. DigiTimes reiterated on Monday to refresh the MacBook Air lineup once Ivy Bridge chips debut.

Competing PC makers hope to replicate some of Apple's MacBook Air success with their own notebooks based on the "Ultrabook" specification from Intel. New Ultrabooks will also sport Ivy Bridge processors, but companies like Lenovo, Acer and Toshiba reportedly plan to price comparable models $50 to $100 below Apple's MacBook Air pricing.

Ultrabooks will be a major part of this week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nev., which Apple is not attending. Acer has already unveiled the new Aspire S5 Ultrabook at its CES press conference, touting it as "the world's thinnest Ultrabook," set to launch in the second quarter of 2012.




The Aspire S5 will weigh in under 3 pounds, and is 15mm thick at its widest point, compared to 17mm for the MacBook Air. It will also feature a 13.3-inch screen, matching Apple's high-end model but not competing with the entry-level 11.6-inch MacBook Air.

Analyst Brian Marshall with ISI Group reacted to Acer's unveiling of the new Aspire S5 in a note to investors on Monday, stating he believes Apple's MacBook Air will maintain its market share lead. But he said new Windows Ultrabook models unveiled at CES could challenge Apple going forward.

"While details on pricing and specifications/configurations are still light, we believe the Aspire S5's ultra-thin and light form factor make it a solid entry in the Ultrabook category, especially if priced between ~$1,000-1300 as some media outlets are suggesting," Marshall wrote.
post #2 of 50
When it comes to wintel machines, you can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig.
post #3 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

When it comes to wintel machines, you can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig.

As long as they actually start making some Thunderbolt computers, I'm fine with them being nothing BUT a Thunderbolt port and congealed lipstick in the shape of a laptop.
post #4 of 50
Oh my, that looks like a black macbook air.
post #5 of 50
Seriously, how is that not a MacBook Air? Oh right, the Windows logo on the option key!
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
Reply
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
Reply
post #6 of 50
"..... as competing PC makers hope to steal some of Apple's thunder by unveiling their own "Ultrabooks" at this week's Consumer Electronics Show."

It must be a terribly unsatisfying job working in R&D ( AKA Ripp-Off & Doppelgang) for these 'competing' PC makers!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by concentricity View Post

Seriously, how is that not a MacBook Air? Oh right, the Windows logo on the option key!

From this picture it does not seem to be wedge-shaped...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....-ultrabook.jpg

no, not wedge shaped.

Would also be very interesting to get the resolution on this one, as Acer has also shown a 10.1 1920x1200 tablet.

Still will not buy Acer, but when they can build it...others can and will too
post #8 of 50
It really looks like a laptop...
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Oh my, that looks like a black macbook air.

The trackpad on the MacBook Airs and Pros is top quality and a pleasure to use. I wonder how these UltraBook trackpads will compare.

Even Acer and others undercut MacBook Air prices, will they come with anything like the iLife suite of applications?
post #10 of 50
It's really laughable. All of these companies should just fire their R&D teams, and sit and wait for Apple to make another move. Sony, LG, and Sharp, sit back to see what Apple will come up with in a television set. Dell, Acer, and Toshiba, all sit back and see what Apple will do on the laptop front. Samsung, Google, and Motorola, all sit back and see what Apple will do on the iPad front. Microsoft copied Apple back in the 70's, and are in full swing to do it again with Windows 8.

Doesn't sound like product originality goes beyond that of Cupertino CA.
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

It's really laughable. All of these companies should just fire their R&D teams, and sit and wait for Apple to make another move. Sony, LG, and Sharp, sit back to see what Apple will come up with in a television set. Dell, HP, and Toshiba, all sit back and see what Apple will do on the laptop front. Samsung, Google, and Motorola, all sit back and see what Apple will do on the iPad front. Microsoft copied Apple back in the 70's, and are in full swing to do it again with Windows 8.

Doesn't sound like product originality goes beyond that of Cupertino CA.

Which R&D team developed the Plasma,LED displays and OLED displays. Pretty major component of the tv
Which R&D team developed the chipsets and all hardware in your laptop ?
Also, if you think windows 8 is a copy of something from Apple, you have never seen 1 second of it.

There are a lot of areas where Apple shines, but please be objective and don't stretch it to 100%
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Doesn't sound like product originality goes beyond that of Cupertino CA.

Breaking news! This just in to our news desk, Microsoft is building a new campus in Redmond. Apparently it's going to be a huge square ring, larger than the Pentagon. When asked about the new building, C.E.O. Steve Ballmer had this to say,

"It's hip."

More on this as it develops.
post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Aspire S5 will weigh in under 3 pounds, and is 15mm thick at its widest point, compared to 17mm for the MacBook Air. It will also feature a 13.3-inch screen, matching Apple's high-end model but not competing with the entry-level 11.6-inch MacBook Air.

It will also be ultrathin plastic versus unibody aluminum. 'Nuff said.
post #14 of 50
If the size of the "ultrabook" market might be 5MM units per year... why all the fuss? It really seems like Apple's competitors are chasing where the ball was.
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As long as they actually start making some Thunderbolt computers, I'm fine with them being nothing BUT a Thunderbolt port and congealed lipstick in the shape of a laptop.

This article didn't state it but Acer is adding Thunderbolt. I'm not sure why they would ignore that it shows a definite interest in the technology.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

If the size of the "ultrabook" market might be 5MM units per year... why all the fuss? It really seems like Apple's competitors are chasing where the ball was.

5 million? Apple will sell more than 5 million alone and with ultrabooks finally undercutting Apple's prices perhaps we can assume they will sell in unit ratios equal to the notebook market as a whole. So about 50 million total?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


It must be a terribly unsatisfying job working in R&D ( AKA Ripp-Off & Doppelgang) for these 'competing' PC makers!

Can I borrow that from you sometime?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

The trackpad on the MacBook Airs and Pros is top quality and a pleasure to use. I wonder how these UltraBook trackpads will compare.

Even Acer and others undercut MacBook Air prices, will they come with anything like the iLife suite of applications?

So far the drivers have been far from great but they newer ones I've used have been better than the reviews of the first HP Envy's which stated you have to use an external mouse to make your notebook functional.

I hope they are good but Vizio and Acer both have AIOs that use a large trackpad over a traditional style mouse. If they are going to go that route I surely hope they have figured it out or they'll be getting a lot of returns.


PS: Not surprisingly Thunderbolt's based devices is all throughout CES.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Oh my, that looks like a black macbook air.

The hinges between the body and the screen are different - so clearly they were not even inspired by the MacBook Air - but rather came up with this deign entirely on their own based on its merits and appeal to the consumer demand, right? right? where did all those damn crickets come from all of a sudden?
post #20 of 50
I'm looking forward to Retina Display in iMac and iPad although to be honest in my current 27" iMac, I can't see pixels too well already.

So if I was in the market for a MacBook Air over the next month or so, would I regret not waiting until May/June? That is, is Ivy Bridge just a minor speed bump or something revolutionary? I don't really want to wait five or six months unless it's going to be something really special as opposed to an increase in speed from (say) 1.8ghz to 2.0ghz.

D
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post

I'm looking forward to Retina Display in iMac and iPad although to be honest in my current 27" iMac, I can't see pixels too well already.

So if I was in the market for a MacBook Air over the next month or so, would I regret not waiting until May/June? That is, is Ivy Bridge just a minor speed bump or something revolutionary? I don't really want to wait five or six months unless it's going to be something really special as opposed to an increase in speed from (say) 1.8ghz to 2.0ghz.

D

Ivy Bridge will boost the graphics speeds by about 50%, and CPU power by about 30% while reducing power output (improving battery life). It is a bigger deal if you like to play games.
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Which R&D team developed the Plasma,LED displays and OLED displays. Pretty major component of the tv
Which R&D team developed the chipsets and all hardware in your laptop ?
Also, if you think windows 8 is a copy of something from Apple, you have never seen 1 second of it.

There are a lot of areas where Apple shines, but please be objective and don't stretch it to 100%

Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, but that invention does not drive a customer's decision to buy one brand over another. When everyone uses the same technology, the impact is a wash. It's only the companies that continue to build and innovate beyond the original idea are the companies who continue to flourish. This seems to be a problem with many companies today. And who says design does not drive the hardware? Apple is built on this premise and I think that the Macbook Air is evidence of this.
post #23 of 50
Unless it runs OS X, I doubt Apple is losing any sleep over this development.

Once again, Apple creates the future. And then the industry follows.
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Oh my, that looks like a black macbook air.

My first impressions exactly. Clean lines, thin, wedgey shape. Deeply radiused corners. Oh look, the touchpad is a large, single "buttonless" design. Even the half-height arrow keys. Or the section carved out of the bottom, under the trackpad to open the lid, which appears to be held closed without latches. Where do they get such a clean design??? It doesn't even have those obnoxious "Intel Inside" and "Designed for Windows 7" stickers! What manufacturer doesn't slather their notebooks in co-branding stickers? So un-Windows like. So very MacBook like.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

...R&D ( AKA Ripp-Off & Doppelgang) ...

Nice!
post #26 of 50
We used to spend 100s extra to use our favorite operating system. Now with a $50-$100 difference in price and improved quality, design, and support on Macs. It feels like these Windows machines are more expensive.
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Which R&D team developed the Plasma,LED displays and OLED displays. Pretty major component of the tv
Which R&D team developed the chipsets and all hardware in your laptop ?
Also, if you think windows 8 is a copy of something from Apple, you have never seen 1 second of it.

There are a lot of areas where Apple shines, but please be objective and don't stretch it to 100%

The examples you give are irrelevant. You can't copy an LCD panel any more than you can copy a chipset, but these companies are quite blatantly copying Apples industrial designs.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
post #28 of 50
If an Apple Mac Book Air cost just fifty dollars more than an identical Windows machine, I'd spend the extra $50 for the Apple OS. It would be worth it.

Anybody who has used an Apple computer and a Windows OS for any length of time would choose the Apple product.

If the price difference were over $100 I would choose the Windows machine because I would just put a version of Linux on it and keep Windows as a small dual boot for watching Netflix.

Apple makes great products but everybody has their spending limitations.
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

If the price difference were over $100 I would choose the Windows machine

Really? $100 up front isn't worth having a machine that will still be usable as a primary three years down the road? Okay.
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

7-inch MacBook Air

Welp, I guess it was inevitable that someone would suggest that.
post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

With the 11-inch model outselling the 13-inch one 10 to one. Apple should make a 7-inch MacBook Air to outsell them all. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

Or a 9.7" model to outsell them all.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #32 of 50
Jony Ive must be f'ng rich designing for all these companies. They don't look half bad in these promo shots but once they're in BB covered with stickers they look downright ugly. Of course none of them can touch the fit and finish of Apple. And do we know if any of them are complete unibody? I've heard to keep the price below the MBA not all of them (if any) were.
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Which R&D team developed the Plasma,LED displays and OLED displays. Pretty major component of the tv
Which R&D team developed the chipsets and all hardware in your laptop ?
Also, if you think windows 8 is a copy of something from Apple, you have never seen 1 second of it.

There are a lot of areas where Apple shines, but please be objective and don't stretch it to 100%

Seems to me the rip off is in hardware moreso than software. And there is no Apple TV to rip off. Plus I doubt Sony or LG are losing sleep over rumors of an Apple TV.
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

My first impressions exactly. Clean lines, thin, wedgey shape. Deeply radiused corners. Oh look, the touchpad is a large, single "buttonless" design. Even the half-height arrow keys. Or the section carved out of the bottom, under the trackpad to open the lid, which appears to be held closed without latches. Where do they get such a clean design??? It doesn't even have those obnoxious "Intel Inside" and "Designed for Windows 7" stickers! What manufacturer doesn't slather their notebooks in co-branding stickers? So un-Windows like. So very MacBook like.

No doubt when this ends up in Best Buy if will be covered in stickers. I have yet to see a Wintel machine at BB that wasn't.
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No doubt when this ends up in Best Buy if will be covered in stickers. I have yet to see a Wintel machine at BB that wasn't.

True. You don't even need a spec sheet: just read the stickers. What's even stranger is that if you buy one of these, the stickers are on the machines they put in the box, and not just the display models.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #36 of 50
we call 'em BlackBook Airs...
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

The examples you give are irrelevant. You can't copy an LCD panel any more than you can copy a chipset, but these companies are quite blatantly copying Apples industrial designs.

Did you look at any other pictures of the acer s5, like the one I posted. It's not even wedge shaped, yet still people here are saying it's the exact same casing. If you really think that this ultrabook is a 1:1 design copy of the mac air, I don't get why you would be even bothered by a design... I see tons of things different, yes, it's a thin laptop with a hinge and a keyboard on the bottom half... that's about it.

I mentioned a number of innovations from other companies as these are more important to me than the design. Sure a nice design is a plus, but I think the development of above mentioned technologies is way more important than any design. MacAir looks nice, but with a TN panel I would have skipped it and as battery life is also a technical important issue for me I welcome the sandy/ivy bridge platforms.

Apple can innovate because of their own R&D but would have gotten nowhere without the likes of Samsung/LG/Intel/Foxconn etc. for developing and producing the hardware Apple now uses.
post #38 of 50
I want an ARM cortex 15 quad core 2.5 ghz Macbook Air. Would be fast enough, cost 300 dollars less and have much longer battery time.

When Apple starts to move its computer line to ARM, wonder if they will offer both X86 and ARM lineup like they did with Intel and PPC.
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

I want an ARM cortex 15 quad core 2.5 ghz Macbook Air. Would be fast enough, cost 300 dollars less and have much longer battery time.

When Apple starts to move its computer line to ARM, wonder if they will offer both X86 and ARM lineup like they did with Intel and PPC.

i think once we get quad-core Cortex-A15 I think the MBA would be a candidate but we have to consider apps. Luckily the Mac App Store will make this an easy process to recompile if Apple's history in chip architectures is any indication. I wouldn't expect anything until Mac OS 10.8.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Ivy Bridge will boost the graphics speeds by about 50%, and CPU power by about 30% while reducing power output (improving battery life). It is a bigger deal if you like to play games.

You might actually get 10% better CPU performance. GPU performance though is all over the map. with anywhere from 20% to more than 2X.

IB should be a great upgrade if you are rather disappointed with Intel only graphics or hope for good OpenCL performance. It is also a mistake to place IB's value simply on the desire to play games, it will be a huge advantage in any software that makes use of GPU acceleration including web browsers. Almost all of the improvements in IB went into the GPU so it will be very interesting to see how these work on Apples platforms.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple sold 1.2M MacBook Airs over holidays, new models with Ivy Bridge loom