or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple issues third beta of iOS 5.1 developers

Apple issues third beta of iOS 5.1 developers

post #1 of 50
Apple on Monday supplied developers with a new pre-release build of its mobile operating system in the form of iOS 5.1 beta 3.

Little is known so far about the latest beta, which was issued to test devices as an over-the-air update. iOS 5.1 beta 1 is not yet available to developers as a direct download from Apple, and as such, there aren't yet any release notes.

The second beta of iOS 5.1 came a month ago, and gave developers the ability to delete individual Photo Stream pictures. In current, public versions of iOS, users cannot delete individual Photo Stream pictures, and must turn off the Photo Stream feature entirely if they do not want a picture to be stored on Apple's servers.

iOS 5.1 beta 3 is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touch.

The first beta of iOS 5.1 was provided to developers in late November. It included references to a next-generation iPhone, labeled "iPhone5,1," as well as third-generation iPad models, "iPad3,2" and "iPad3,3."
post #2 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iOS 5.1 beta 3 is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touch.

Not the first-gen iPad?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #3 of 50
And now you can manually disable 3G in network settings. Modem goes up to 1.5.04.
post #4 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not the first-gen iPad?

Wow, that was quick. Obsolete by 2012.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 50
strange, 3GS is included and not the iPad first gen
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by donw35 View Post

strange, 3GS is included and not the iPad first gen

Says 3GS RIGHT there in the story

post #7 of 50
Quote:

Not the first-gen iPad?

1st gen is supported. AI is.... Well nevermind.
post #8 of 50
Quote:

Says 3GS RIGHT there in the story

Right and he said it WAS included, but not the original iPad.
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Right and he said it WAS included, but not the original iPad.

Welp, I'm a moron. Dyslexia for cure found

post #10 of 50
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

So essentially everything that currently supports iOS 5.0/5.01... who'd have thunk it?
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

So essentially everything that currently supports iOS 5.0/5.01... who'd have thunk it?

Whew. Good for another year at least.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 50
Quote:

And now you can manually disable 3G in network settings. Modem goes up to 1.5.04.

In the 4S and/or Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4, because this has been possible with the GSM/UMTS versions of the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. I assume the issue was down to the new MDM66x0 chipset but with the excessive revisions to the modem firmware I wouldn't be surprised if the 4S has been given this option.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In the 4S and/or Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4, because this has been possible with the GSM/UMTS versions of the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. I assume the issue was down to the new MDM66x0 chipset but with the excessive revisions to the modem firmware I wouldn't be surprised if the 4S has been given this option.

I have the 4S on AT&T. I can't speak for the others.
post #15 of 50
Quote:

I have the 4S on AT&T. I can't speak for the others.

The GSM-based 4S is the only place it was really needed. It's mostly pointless to turn off '3G' on CDMA/CDMA2000 since the voice is still sent over '2G'.

post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Whew. Good for another year at least.

The iPhone 3GS will lose support before the iPad.
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The GSM-based 4S is the only place it was really needed. It's mostly pointless to turn off '3G' on CDMA/CDMA2000 since the voice is still sent over '2G'.

Is there a way to not receive phone calls and have them go directly to voicemail? I ask because I want to have my data but not have the incoming call override the screen while using maps or texting etc. I would rather see like a notification size info bar at the top instead of the whole screen taken over.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The iPhone 3GS will lose support before the iPad.

My guess is that the 3GS won't live past 5.1, remember that the 1st gen only got to 3.1.x.

I would be very surprised if the 1st gen iPad got beyond iOS 5.2.x, it certainly won't get iOS6.
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is there a way to not receive phone calls and have them go directly to voicemail? I ask because I want to have my data but not have the incoming call override the screen while using maps or texting etc. I would rather see like a notification size info bar at the top instead of the whole screen taken over.

Perhaps not ideally and this could be a bug but you used to be able to enable Airplane Mode and then enable WiFi so that the cellular chips are inactive.

post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes there is http://bit.ly/A40gvu
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

it certainly won't get iOS6.

What makes you say that?

post #22 of 50
My own modest wish is that they fix the mobile Safari back-button bug that reloads a version of the page out of some point in the past rather than the actual one that was just displayed.
post #23 of 50
I'm all for new features but I hope they are fixing bugs first. iOS 5 lags on my iPhone 4 and my sister has been complaining for awhile about severely decreased performance on her iPod. I'm also getting problems with volume... click and tap noises suddenly becoming really loud even with volume turned way down, or certain sounds not playing at all. Restarting the iPhone solves it temporarily.
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

My own modest wish is that they fix the mobile Safari back-button bug that reloads a version of the page out of some point in the past rather than the actual one that was just displayed.

I've never seen that happen.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #25 of 50
Quote:

This is a symptom of web pages, not Mobile Safari.
Often, AJAX rich sites will change content without reloading the page and instead add a hash to the URL to make the page "back"-able. MS's webkit engine is working as intended if you go back and it reflects the change to the URL hash and reloads the previous state.
post #26 of 50
Quote:

My guess is that the 3GS won't live past 5.1, remember that the 1st gen only got to 3.1.x.

I would be very surprised if the 1st gen iPad got beyond iOS 5.2.x, it certainly won't get iOS6.

By a strict reading of their self-imposed upgrade rules, the 1st gen iPad doesn't *have* to get anything past 5.0 (and all the updates).

On the other hand, by those same rules, the 3Gs should have been unsupported after iOS 4.0 (and all the upgrades), but it got 5.0 anyway.
post #27 of 50
Quote:

Awesome!!

This should help improve battery life enormously (just like on my old iPhone 3G)

post #28 of 50
Quote:

What makes you say that?

Just that if my memory serves (and I may be wrong), no iOS device has received more than two upgrades by which I mean major updates, e.g. iOS 3 to 4 for example and disregarding .x releases, from the iOS version they were originally brought to market on.

Consider:

iPhone 1st Gen: iOS 1.x - 3.x
iPhone 3G: iOS 2.x - 4.x

iPod 1st Gen: iOS 1.x - 3.x
iPod 2nd Gen: iOS 2.x - 4.x

Now I freely admit that I'm no expert, I'm actually a Windows user (probably in the minority here ), but that is certainly suggestive of a trend.

What's more my first gen iPad is already slowing down, and I doubt that Apple wants a repeat of the iPhone 3G upgrade to iOS 4.0.x fiasco...
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

On the other hand, by those same rules, the 3Gs should have been unsupported after iOS 4.0 (and all the upgrades), but it got 5.0 anyway.

Haven't they always received two upgrades? I suppose I expected that the 3GS receive iOS5.
post #30 of 50
Quote:

Just that if my memory serves (and I may be wrong), no iOS device has received more than two upgrades

No, you're absolutely right and that's the standard by which I go

But the first-gen iPad only had iPhone OS 3.2, not a .0 version, and it was only for a few months before iOS 4 came out. I dunno; it might get iOS 6.

post #31 of 50
Quote:

Not the first-gen iPad?

Software Update on the iPad 1 installs the beta 3 (if you have an earlier beta installed).
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #32 of 50
Quote:

Glad you mentioned that. It's not just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

This is a symptom of web pages, not Mobile Safari.
Often, AJAX rich sites will change content without reloading the page and instead add a hash to the URL to make the page "back"-able. MS's webkit engine is working as intended if you go back and it reflects the change to the URL hash and reloads the previous state.

Is there a way for apple to fix the issue? I'm not saying its their fault (I'm clueless on the tech of it) but one of the places I find it happening still is on google news and I'm thinking they may not view it as a priority.
I've also experienced it here but not recently, and on a handful(at most) of other sites.
post #33 of 50
Quote:

No, you're absolutely right and that's the standard by which I go

But the first-gen iPad only had iPhone OS 3.2, not a .0 version, and it was only for a few months before iOS 4 came out. I dunno; it might get iOS 6.

Yeah, it's impossible to say whether the iPad's iOS 3.2.x release was just meant as a temporary operating system before the iOS 4 upgrade or as a stand-alone. However, I'm inclined to think that it might be the former considering that Apple felt it necessary to write into their terms and conditions that all iPads would get an iOS 4.x release free of charge.
post #34 of 50
Has anyone else found their original iPad become a lot more prone to crashing since they upgraded to iOS 5?

I've found that Safari in particular is very prone to crashing, especially when it's just finished loading a new page. I re-open it, and that same page will load fine, and it will be OK as I click through a few more pages, then it will crash again. I think it's happening on all apps though, it's just that I use Safari far more than any others.

I tried doing a clean install of everything (i.e. restore to factory settings and start from scratch), but still I see problems.

It's more a nuisance than anything else (and not enough of a nuisance to make me goto the Apple store to have them take a look), but if anyone else has seen the same and has a fix, that would be great!
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Has anyone else found their original iPad become a lot more prone to crashing since they upgraded to iOS 5?

I've found that Safari in particular is very prone to crashing, especially when it's just finished loading a new page. I re-open it, and that same page will load fine, and it will be OK as I click through a few more pages, then it will crash again. I think it's happening on all apps though, it's just that I use Safari far more than any others.

I tried doing a clean install of everything (i.e. restore to factory settings and start from scratch), but still I see problems.

It's more a nuisance than anything else (and not enough of a nuisance to make me goto the Apple store to have them take a look), but if anyone else has seen the same and has a fix, that would be great!

We have 3 iPads, two of them are first generation, and I'm yet to experience this. I'm gonna look at my crash logs because I can't even remember Safari crashing on me.
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

We have 3 iPads, two of them are first generation, and I'm yet to experience this. I'm gonna look at my crash logs because I can't even remember Safari crashing on me.

Thanks, appreciate you taking a look.
post #37 of 50
Quote:

Haven't they always received two upgrades? I suppose I expected that the 3GS receive iOS5.

Maybe I read the dates wrong when I looked it up?

The "rule" (direct from Apple's mouth), is that all devices get the full version of the OS that ships on the device, plus all the upgrades, plus the next full version, plus all the upgrades for that version as well.

Anything beyond that isn't officially supported.

I thought the 3Gs shipped with iOS 3.0 which would make 5.0 an unsupported bonus to users, but maybe I got the dates wrong as I said.
post #38 of 50
Quote:

I'm actually a Windows user (probably in the minority here)

Probably?
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Maybe I read the dates wrong when I looked it up?

The "rule" (direct from Apple's mouth), is that all devices get the full version of the OS that ships on the device, plus all the upgrades, plus the next full version, plus all the upgrades for that version as well.

Anything beyond that isn't officially supported.

I thought the 3Gs shipped with iOS 3.0 which would make 5.0 an unsupported bonus to users, but maybe I got the dates wrong as I said.

My understanding was that they would guarantee two full versions PAST the shipped version. So 3GS shipped with 3.0, and should be supported up to 5.0. Remember that the original iPhone went to 3.0 and some updates (not all), the 3G went to 4.0 and some updates (not all), so I would expect the 3GS to probably go to 5.2 (or whatever) and then stop. Seems to keep in line with the past experiences.
post #40 of 50
I suspect the 3GS will get (a probably feature-reduced build of) iOS 6 if and only if Apple is still selling it within a year of release, because Apple won't want to alienate first-time customers with a 3GS and more than a year left on their contracts, and that iOS development will take this into account.

As for the iPad 1, probably no chance.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple issues third beta of iOS 5.1 developers