or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Outer-Facing Cameras on Mac Laptops
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Outer-Facing Cameras on Mac Laptops

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I think all Mac laptops should get outer-facing cameras. The iPhone and iPad have them. They would be great for filming and FaceTime. It probably wouldnt cost too much more, and I could see it in the future. The possibilities are endless with an outer-facing camera.
What do you guys think?
post #2 of 9
I'd imagine anywhere you'd be with a working laptop that you'd want to show a FaceTime companion your surroundings, you could either spin the laptop around quickly or you'd already be doing it on your iPad/iPhone.
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd imagine anywhere you'd be with a working laptop that you'd want to show a FaceTime companion your surroundings, you could either spin the laptop around quickly or you'd already be doing it on your iPad/iPhone.

FaceTime was just an example. How about if you want to film a video, but you want to see what the camera sees without ducking under its line of sight.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoStick29 View Post

FaceTime was just an example. How about if you want to film a video, but you want to see what the camera sees without ducking under its line of sight.

Then you'd use a camcorder
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then you'd use a camcorder

You could, but can you plug a camcorder into your computer and have a live video feed?
What if you don't have a camcorder?
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoStick29 View Post

You could, but can you plug a camcorder into your computer and have a live video feed?
What if you don't have a camcorder?

Interesting take, I concede that point.

My only concern is the increased fragility. It just doesn't seem safe. It's like those Sideview(?) Side show

Those little secondary screens on the earliest Windows 7 computers. The ones that were supposed to show widgets. They never caught on, and I can imagine they ramped up the breakability of the thing by a decent amount.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Interesting take, I concede that point.

My only concern is the increased fragility. It just doesn't seem safe. It's like those Sideview(?) Side show

Those little secondary screens on the earliest Windows 7 computers. The ones that were supposed to show widgets. They never caught on, and I can imagine they ramped up the breakability of the thing by a decent amount.

That's true, but I'm not talking about a screen. Just a camera. As far as protection, the iPhone's camera is exposed, but surrounded by a ring. The same could apply here. Apple could even market cases that provide additional protection.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoStick29 View Post

You could, but can you plug a camcorder into your computer and have a live video feed?
What if you don't have a camcorder?

This is one of those jobs for an accessory. It's a weird use for a laptop anyway. Laptops are still designed for stable surfaces. With an ipad they're designed to be usable just held in one hand. Anyway this goes into pointless feature territory.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

This is one of those jobs for an accessory. It's a weird use for a laptop anyway. Laptops are still designed for stable surfaces. With an ipad they're designed to be usable just held in one hand. Anyway this goes into pointless feature territory.

I wouldn't call it pointless, but I see where you're going. Maybe Apple will make it possible to have a live video feed from a camera (maybe even wireless?).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Outer-Facing Cameras on Mac Laptops