or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple accused of extortion by Spanish tablet maker
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple accused of extortion by Spanish tablet maker

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Spanish computer company NT-K has filed an indictment against Apple for the alleged act of extortion, a response to a 2010 patent dispute that culminated in the Cupertino, Calif., company filing criminal counterfeiting charges against the small Valencia tablet maker.

In a press release on Tuesday, Nuevas Tecnologías y Energías Catalá (NT-K) announced that it had filed charges against Apple with Valencia's district attorney for alleged acts of extortion following an aggressive patent litigation campaign, reports FOSS Patents.

The filing is part of an ongoing court battle between the two companies that has been active for over a year, instigated by Apple's initial November 2010 accusation that NT-K's tablet copied the iPad's design. A short-term customs ban was sought and granted against the small tablet maker's products, and Apple went so far as to file criminal charges following correspondence between the rivaling companies.

NT-K successfully defended itself against the patent attack by Apple against its Android-based tablet, winning a dismissal of the case in November 2011, and is now attempting to prove that the tech giant's litigation was aggressive enough to be considered extortion under Spanish law.

According to FOSS Patent's Florian Mueller, Spanish extortion "comes down to someone with the intent to enrich himself forcing, through violence or intimidation, his victim to commit or desist from an act or transaction to the economic detriment of the victim or a third party."

Mueller goes on to say that while NT-K's argument that Apple sought to enrich itself through legal action against the small company is cogent on the surface, aggressive enforcement of patent rights is not a necessarily a criminal offense.


NT-K Pad | Source: NT-K


Since Apple's allegations were dismissed, NT-K can possibly recover damages and pursue other legal action, but the iPad maker's actions are likely to fall short of being interpreted as extortion. Mueller notes that while Apple's litigation may be characterized as "bullying," there was most likely reasonable foundation for a dispute and as such both parties have the right to state their grievances and threaten legal action.

The small Spanish tablet maker is planning to publish documentation regarding the extortion case against Apple on its blog in the coming week.
post #2 of 31
Huh. Is it really in these guys' best interest to bring themselves into the spotlight? Looks like Samsung could sue them for direct design copying.
post #3 of 31
I'd love to see some photos of there device. From what I saw last time it really did look like Apple in the wrong.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Huh. Is it really in these guys' best interest to bring themselves into the spotlight? Looks like Samsung could sue them for direct design copying.

Can you sue for a copy of a copy of a copy?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd love to see some photos of there device. From what I saw last time it really did look like Apple in the wrong.

Tableta NT-K Pad
post #5 of 31




It's a tablet, yes. But a copy of the iPad? Not so much. TouchPad, maybe.
post #6 of 31
These no name companies making tablets not sure why apple bother they will shoot themselves anyway.

My in-laws went to one of those stupid time share weekends and for their trouble they were give a no name Android table valued at $500. Well junk does not describe this thing, It says the touch screen best works with a stylus. and it has buttons all over it. My in-laws wanted to use it to surf the web and maybe check their email, we try to set up the email, which they use google mail and you think it should work, well it didn't it kept coming back and said it failed to authenticate with the server. So we attempted to go in view the browsers and it would not allow us it keep saying the security cert was out of date or not valid.

The more we played around with it realize all they did was used the android phone version not the tablet version since it had all kinds of phone features still in the menus and setups information.

These knock off android tables will just make the whole user experience bad, now my in-laws want a ipad.
post #7 of 31
More and more I get the impression that the patent war does Apple no good when it comes to the revolutionary design of the iPad.
Due to the copycats no one seems to really understand how mindcrunching and bold the 'loose all buttons and keep a finger-broad bevel' really is. I can see the judge looking at two devices and thinking:"huh, what's so special about it?" It seems to me that the more intuitive for the user your invention gets, the harder it is to explain later what's so special about it. I hate to say it, but Apple might be better off quitting the patentwar regarding design. It gets bad press and does not result in competitive advantages. A movie explaining how touch devices looked before the iPad might better show the difference. It won't win a patent war but the public will better understand why others are slavishly copying Apple now.
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykz View Post

More and more I get the impression that the patent war does Apple no good when it comes to the revolutionary design of the iPad.
Due to the copycats no one seems to really understand how mindcrunching and bold the 'loose all buttons and keep a finger-broad bevel' really is. I can see the judge looking at two devices and thinking:"huh, what's so special about it?" It seems to me that the more intuitive for the user your invention gets, the harder it is to explain later what's so special about it. I hate to say it, but Apple might be better off quitting the patentwar regarding design. It gets bad press and does not result in competitive advantages. A movie explaining how touch devices looked before the iPad might better show the difference. It won't win a patent war but the public will better understand why others are slavishly copying Apple now.

IPad has a button. And the bezel is nothing new when it comes to hand held devices.
post #9 of 31
Asking that criminal charges be filed against a tiny tablet manufacturer when they don't immediately bow down does amount to intimidation and bullying, waaay overstepping IMHO. Perhaps Apple may have some good reason to have been overtly aggressive, and my opinion might change after the little guy publishes the communications from Apple over the next week or so. No matter what, this isn't going to get Apple much sympathy and they'll come off looking like the the bad guy.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #10 of 31
I predict this thread will end predictably: picturez of cornerz. Againz.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I predict this thread will end predictably: picturez of cornerz. Againz.

I find this corner to be interesting...
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd love to see some photos of there device. From what I saw last time it really did look like Apple in the wrong.


Can you sue for a copy of a copy of a copy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post





It's a tablet, yes. But a copy of the iPad? Not so much. TouchPad, maybe.


You guys have no idea WTF you're talking about. It's not just the appearance. It's specific technologies and specific patents. Take it from the guy whose younger brother is an IP attorney and former patent examiner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Asking that criminal charges be filed against a tiny tablet manufacturer when they don't immediately bow down does amount to intimidation and bullying, waaay overstepping IMHO. Perhaps Apple may have some good reason to have been overtly aggressive, and my opinion might change after the little guy publishes the communications from Apple over the next week or so.


They clearly had good reason, as this is not something they do often, if ever.

Quote:
No matter what, this isn't going to get Apple much sympathy and they'll come off looking like the the bad guy.

To whom? They don't' care. I don't care. No one really cares.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You guys have no idea WTF you're talking about. It's not just the appearance. It's specific technologies and specific patents. Take it from the guy whose younger brother is an IP attorney and former patent examiner.




They clearly had good reason, as this is not something they do often, if ever.



To whom? They don't' care. I don't care. No one really cares.

Public perception is plainly important to Apple. I'm quite surprised you's opine they don't care what the public thinks of them (not that I think you really believe that anyway.)
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #14 of 31
apple is being sued because they are trying to 'enrich themselves'.

how much money would it take for apple to succeed in enriching themselves.

it would take a lot of money from where they are today, as they are pretty rich now.
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

apple is being sued because they are trying to 'enrich themselves'.

how much money would it take for apple to succeed in enriching themselves.

it would take a lot of money from where they are today, as they are pretty rich now.

I have never met an honest Spanish business person.
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I find this corner to be interesting...

LOL! That's what I'm talkin bout.
Folks, this thread is officially done. The corner has spoken.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #17 of 31
From their Homepage (translated from original Spanish):

"JUSTICE HAS GIVEN THE REASON TO APPLE


Today the first of November has been published in the media the result of the dismissal by filing a complaint that Apple made the company in November last year.


It all starts in November 2010 when the customs by Apple orders we retain a major item of tablets that were importing our own brand with NT-K. At the time we receive an Apple burofax which counsels us to destroy our tablets without recourse to justice for alleged plagiarism of his product ipad, we denounce criminally threatening otherwise.


We have tried several times to explain and demonstrate both Apple customs as our products were significantly different, to no avail.
We, unlike other companies that have suffered the same problem, we decided not to give up our rights. The December 9 meeting the company Apple burofax threat of us criminal complaint in court.


Needless to clear all the damage it has caused this unjust accusation , both economically and emotionally to our company.
The game was held to distribute samples among different customers, which already had commitments for the year 2011, together with complementary products. As we were not only severely affected by the tablets that we have retained, but profits and potential future loss of business, closing doors for noncompliance with customers, suppliers and investors.
And as if this were not enough, we been reported since then we are on a black list of importers in Brussels for piracy.


We are a small company like many others in these times of crisis we are trying to get ahead, and it seems grossly unfair that a company the caliber of Apple has to use its dominant influence.


With the file in this case, reinforce the claim that we made ​​last August to the National Competition Commission (CNC) and are confident that this entity quickly resolved.
Parallel to this, start the corresponding civil suit against Apple for any consequential, profits and moral damage."

According to reports, the actual correspondence from Apple may be posted later this week.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax7 View Post

I have never met an honest Spanish business person.

Start by buying something other than a controlled substance and you'll find plenty.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I find this corner to be interesting...

That probably cost more to make than a iPad. Lol
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Asking that criminal charges be filed against a tiny tablet manufacturer when they don't immediately bow down does amount to intimidation and bullying, waaay overstepping IMHO. Perhaps Apple may have some good reason to have been overtly aggressive, and my opinion might change after the little guy publishes the communications from Apple over the next week or so. No matter what, this isn't going to get Apple much sympathy and they'll come off looking like the the bad guy.

Why would Apple look like the bad guy? Apple has been equally aggressive with tablet makers, regardless of size or revenue. Are you suggesting that they give the little guy a break, but treat their billion dollar competitors harsher? Should they have two standards to appease your sense of moral sympathy for underdogs? Let's hope NTK never gets big and successful, lest they lose the sympathy-for-being-small membership card.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Asking that criminal charges be filed against a tiny tablet manufacturer when they don't immediately bow down does amount to intimidation and bullying, waaay overstepping IMHO.

It might seem excessive but was it overstepping Spanish law for such patent cases. If it wasn't then calling what Apple did extortion is a tad much. They were just playing the game by the rules and tactics given to them.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Are you suggesting that they give the little guy a break, but treat their billion dollar competitors harsher?

They can't even if they kind of want to. Trademark and trade dress requires that you act to protect against any offensive no matter how small. If you ignore one group over another then it gets into that 'you don't really care so we are going to take away this mark/dress completely'

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy

At the time we receive an Apple burofax which counsels us to destroy our tablets without recourse to justice for alleged plagiarism of his product ipad, we denounce criminally threatening otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It might seem excessive but was it overstepping Spanish law for such patent cases. If it wasn't then calling what Apple did extortion is a tad much. They were just playing the game by the rules and tactics given to them.

Go destroy your stuff because we say and don't even think to talk that to the lawyer.

Does that fall inside the definition of "rules and tactics given"?
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They can't even if they kind of want to. Trademark and trade dress requires that you act to protect against any offensive no matter how small. If you ignore one group over another then it gets into that 'you don't really care so we are going to take away this mark/dress completely'

I don't have an issue with a C&D letter, even a suit asking for any injunction. Let a civil court decide if they're treading too close to Apple's products. Criminal charges? You really think that's a common tactic? Imagine Motorola asking that an an arrest warrant be issued on Tim Cook for failing to remove Apple's infringing products from Germany as quickly as Moto wants.

That's what I take issue with. As I first stated, perhaps Apple thought they had some good reason to go that route other than just an intimidation tactic. I could change my mind if there's something unusual in this particular case. On the surface it doesn't look good.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It might seem excessive but was it overstepping Spanish law for such patent cases. If it wasn't then calling what Apple did extortion is a tad much. They were just playing the game by the rules and tactics given to them.

Hey, Gatorguy has a job to do, and his job is to spin everything negatively for Apple/iOS, and positively for Google/Android. He'll tell us that he doesn't really know Spanish law, and he was just posting the information to be "helpful". Of course, he doesn't find the extortion claim excessive, that's against Apple. You just have to view everything that Gatorguy writes as shameless propaganda.
post #26 of 31
I personally think this was lawsuit strategy on Apple's legal teams part, As we all know Apple as not filed any lawsuits again Google who developed Andriod, they are only going after the hardware makers and they are attacking the weakest ones first, Yes they went after Motorola and Samsung, but the one they are winning against are against the weakest companies with little or not IP treasure chest of their own.

The Strategy is to win judgement against smaller companies and use it to force other to comply or else. The reason patent trolls usually go after as many companies as they can is to try and get a few of them to settle out of course and they they turn around and use those settlement to convince the others to settle. I think Apple maybe using similar strategies with all the companies they went after either to get them to settle like Nokia did or win cases like with HTC and then force other to follow suit.

So maybe apple was over the top on this small no name Spanish company, thus the reason for their counter complaint.
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Hey, Gatorguy has a job to do, and his job is to spin everything negatively for Apple/iOS, and positively for Google/Android. He'll tell us that he doesn't really know Spanish law, and he was just posting the information to be "helpful". Of course, he doesn't find the extortion claim excessive, that's against Apple. You just have to view everything that Gatorguy writes as shameless propaganda.

This Spanish tablet maker is Google? WOW.

Don't let your hatred make you say stupid things.
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Asking that criminal charges be filed against a tiny tablet manufacturer when they don't immediately bow down does amount to intimidation and bullying, waaay overstepping IMHO. Perhaps Apple may have some good reason to have been overtly aggressive, and my opinion might change after the little guy publishes the communications from Apple over the next week or so. No matter what, this isn't going to get Apple much sympathy and they'll come off looking like the the bad guy.

Something is wrong with this article, but I'm not sure what. I doubt that Spanish law permits a company to indict anyone. If the law in Spain is anything like most of the world, they can file a lawsuit or ask an Attorney General or District Attorney to files criminal charges. Indictments can only be filed by the state.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You guys have no idea WTF you're talking about. It's not just the appearance. It's specific technologies and specific patents. Take it from the guy whose younger brother is an IP attorney and former patent examiner.




They clearly had good reason, as this is not something they do often, if ever.



To whom? They don't' care. I don't care. No one really cares.


My friend, you read the technical specifications of the NT-K and have compared with the iPad?

Different wireless technologies, different storage technologies, different touch screen technology, different battery, and the Spanish is removable, Apple's not (this is what I hate most of my Ipod)

The only similarity is that both have touch screen and as I said are not even based on the same technology.


It's like comparing an egg and a brown, both are round, nothing more.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
Reply
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
Reply
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melev View Post

It's like comparing an egg and a brown, both are round, nothing more.

I'm just gonna step behind this lead shield here. You don't know what you've unleashed.
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm just gonna step behind this lead shield here. You don't know what you've unleashed.

I have a roman Scutum replica, I will use it in the next post, just in case
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
Reply
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple accused of extortion by Spanish tablet maker