or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What Do You Expect For The Next PowerBook?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Do You Expect For The Next PowerBook? - Page 4

post #121 of 130
Since O'Grady came out with these interesting tidbits <a href="http://www.powerpage.org" target="_blank">here</a> I'm wondering a few things:

1) Will audio-in allow users the freedom of non-USB microphones so we can run Cubase, making the Powerbook an out-of-the-box recording studio? (It's been my dream for all too long now.)

2) What other uses will audio-in have? Will ripping my vinyl collection to MP3 be an option now?
*somebody say yes*

3) It's interesting that Apple would bump the Powerbook sans graphics improvements, new bells & whistles, etc. in the face of their Superdrive marketing blitz, new Bluetooth announcements and better available graphics chips.

4) What dates do you kids imagine the NEXT revision will fall into? (Bluetooth, graphics, audio-in, etc.)

5) I can't believe I'm about to skate through ANOTHER revision and wait for "the next best thing." I'm becoming the most patient bastard on the planet -- <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> <img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" /> <img src="graemlins/embarrassed.gif" border="0" alt="[Embarrassed]" />

-- PEte
post #122 of 130
I've got you beat Pete. Your only the second most patient bastard on the planet. I currently have a 1st generation G4/450 AGP tower 640mb ram and I want to make my whole design operation mobile. This is driving me NUUUTTTS!!!! Oh when to buy, when to buy? I just don't want to miss out on the next "BIG" PB machine! And a friend was going to buy my G4/450 for $1200 but fat chance on that now.
WTF can you do but wait?
post #123 of 130
What do I expect from the next PowerBook...?

I want a 1GHz G4 CPU, no exceptions...

I want a faster system bus (Intel laptops are running at 400MHz now, and we are stuck at 133MHz, in both laptops AND desktops!)...

I want more RAM, 2GB DDR SDRAM would be nice...

I want a higher-rez screen...

I want a SuperDrive...

I want a faster Firewire interface...

I want the nVidia Quadro4 500 Go GL GPU in there, for running Maya...

I want an ADC connector, for hooking up an Apple Cinema Display @ the office... And I want it to be a SEPERATE screen, not a mirror, not leaving my laptop screen blank when it (the ADC) is in use... The power can be set up to feed through only when the laptop is plugged into a wall outlet...

Add in a keyboard & mouse, and I can have a full workstation on the desk, and a nice portable Maya/DCC solution on the go...

And I want it all for under US$3,500.00! (not counting the Cinema Display)...

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: MacJunkie ]</p>
post #124 of 130
[quote]Originally posted by MacJunkie:
<strong>What do I expect from the next PowerBook...?

I want a 1GHz G4 CPU, no exceptions...

I want a faster system bus (Intel laptops are running at 400MHz now, and we are stuck at 133MHz, in both laptops AND desktops!)...

I want more RAM, 2GB DDR SDRAM would be nice...

I want a higher-rez screen...

I want a SuperDrive...

I want a faster Firewire interface...

I want the nVidia Quadro4 500 Go GL GPU in there, for running Maya...

I want an ADC connector, for hooking up an Apple Cinema Display @ the office... And I want it to be a SEPERATE screen, not a mirror, not leaving my laptop screen blank when it (the ADC) is in use... The power can be set up to feed through only when the laptop is plugged into a wall outlet...

Add in a keyboard & mouse, and I can have a full workstation on the desk, and a nice portable Maya/DCC solution on the go...

And I want it all for under US$3,500.00! (not counting the Cinema Display)...

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: MacJunkie ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just say no... the drugs are frying your brain.
<img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" />

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: I Have Questions ]</p>
post #125 of 130
[quote]Originally posted by MacJunkie:
<strong>What do I expect from the next PowerBook...?

I want a 1GHz G4 CPU, no exceptions...

I want a faster system bus (Intel laptops are running at 400MHz now, and we are stuck at 133MHz, in both laptops AND desktops!)...

I want more RAM, 2GB DDR SDRAM would be nice...

I want a higher-rez screen...

I want a SuperDrive...

I want a faster Firewire interface...

I want the nVidia Quadro4 500 Go GL GPU in there, for running Maya...

I want an ADC connector, for hooking up an Apple Cinema Display @ the office... And I want it to be a SEPERATE screen, not a mirror, not leaving my laptop screen blank when it (the ADC) is in use... The power can be set up to feed through only when the laptop is plugged into a wall outlet...

Add in a keyboard & mouse, and I can have a full workstation on the desk, and a nice portable Maya/DCC solution on the go...

And I want it all for under US$3,500.00! (not counting the Cinema Display)...

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: MacJunkie ]</strong><hr></blockquote>


You left out the 35-lb battery for 3-hours of use.
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
Reply
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
Reply
post #126 of 130
I don't think any new Powerbooks are coming out. PowerBook needs more than just a bump in clock frequency. I believe users are expecting more. The current 7440 chip is running hot and faster SOI 7445 can only be clock to 800, anything higher will set up a fire alarm. And I don't think Apple has a SuperDrive ready yet. The more logical solution is to wait for 7460. While the 7445 should be reserved for the iBooks in the next update.
post #127 of 130
[quote]Originally posted by Bigc:
<strong>


You left out the 35-lb battery for 3-hours of use.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uh, did you miss the part where I said that the power portion of the ADC connector would ONLY work if the laptop were plugged into the wall...?!?

Obviously anyone running an external monitor off of a laptop is gonna be near some sort of external power...
post #128 of 130
Apple seems to think we arent good enough, at least according to Motorola's documents.We dont deserve the 600,733,800, and 1 GHz versions of the 7445 (current PB uses 7440, so it would be like PM G4 7450 ---&gt;7455) that are available now shipping and ready to buy.

I wonder if there's any possiblity of a new case (maybe for a new mobo & to allow for those GHz 7445s). The current design is slick but I wouldnt mind something new (maybe even lighter).

Im considering one for college as my parents arent allowing me to lug a big tower and this big @$$ 19" Sony FD Trinitron monitor, so I really want this next PB G4 to be a desktop replacement. I really want a G5 so if those come out the PB would have to have some sweet specs for me to buy.
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
post #129 of 130
Higher resolution: Probably not, this would be an expensive revision and they've only just bumped this spec anyway

Faster G4: Of course, when has Apple released a product update and not bumped the speed? The form this takes may just be to improve the low end though, since there are technical problems increasing max speed for portable G4 chips

Bluetooth: I hope so, after removing the IR port Apple better replace it with something pretty quick or the machine's connectivity will be badly neutered.

DVD-RW: Could happen, but how many people really want to burn DVD's with there PB? (Well, me of course, but how many others?). Also this would mean losing the slot drive I expect, since I very much doubt superdrive technology is up to slot loading just yet. I think Apple is still just buying it from Yamaha anyway, so they don't have that much control.

Case redesign: Nope, it'll be a while before we see those expansion bays back again, maybe never. Any redesign will be minor, like putting in extra ports, or changing the drive slot to a tray to support superdrive (were that to happen).

More ram, bigger HD, lower pricing: Again, these are standard things to improve because they're easy to change, and the prices for them are always falling.

Assuming these changes though, I think the next Ti will be the one to buy for existing G3 PB and first revison Ti owners.

Socrates
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
Reply
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
Reply
post #130 of 130
[quote]Originally posted by MacJunkie:
<strong>What do I expect from the next PowerBook...?

I want a 1GHz G4 CPU, no exceptions...

I want a faster system bus (Intel laptops are running at 400MHz now, and we are stuck at 133MHz, in both laptops AND desktops!)...

I want more RAM, 2GB DDR SDRAM would be nice...

I want a higher-rez screen...

I want a SuperDrive...

I want a faster Firewire interface...

I want the nVidia Quadro4 500 Go GL GPU in there, for running Maya...

I want an ADC connector, for hooking up an Apple Cinema Display @ the office... And I want it to be a SEPERATE screen, not a mirror, not leaving my laptop screen blank when it (the ADC) is in use... The power can be set up to feed through only when the laptop is plugged into a wall outlet...

Add in a keyboard & mouse, and I can have a full workstation on the desk, and a nice portable Maya/DCC solution on the go...

And I want it all for under US$3,500.00! (not counting the Cinema Display)...

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: MacJunkie ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here it is, dual 1 Ghz G4, built in RAID, DDR, oh and one more thinga 17" screen, Yay!!!!



The studs are for the weight distributing strap
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
Reply
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What Do You Expect For The Next PowerBook?