or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › CES: Dell plans to launch first 'consumer tablet' in late 2012

CES: Dell plans to launch first 'consumer tablet' in late 2012

post #1 of 57
Moving on from its failed line of smaller Streak-branded tablets, Dell reportedly plans to sell a full-fledged "consumer tablet" to take on Apple's iPad in late 2012.

The Round Rock, Tex.-based PC maker confirmed to Reuters at this week's Consumer Electronics Show that it will take on the iPad and other Android-based tablets with its own offering later this year. A company official said they are taking their time to get to market because so many who rushed have failed against Apple.

"You will see us enter this market in a bigger way toward the end of the year," Dell Chief Commercial Officer Steve Felice reportedly said. "So we are not really deemphasizing it, we are really being careful how we enter it.

"When you are talking about PC, people are more focused on the hardware itself. When you are talking about the tablet or the smartphone, people are interested in the overall environment it's operating in. As we have matured in this, we are spending a lot more time in the overall ecosystem."

Felice would not confirm what operating system Dell plans to utilize for its forthcoming tablets. The ill-fated Streak, which maxed out at 7 inches, relied on Google Android, while tablets running Microsoft's Windows 8 are also being shown off by other hardware makers at CES this year.

"We like Windows 8, but we continue to develop with Android as well," Felice told Reuters. "We are still going to be more choice-driven, based on the feedback we get from customers."

Windows 8 tablets were a key part of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's keynote address that kicked off CES on Monday. Rather than adding touch controls to the traditional Windows interface, as Microsoft has done in the past, Windows 8 on tablets will employ the "Metro" user interface the company debuted on its Windows Phone series.

Though he didn't reveal a preference one way or the other between Windows 8 and Android, Felice admitted the timing of the release of Windows 8, expected to launch later this year, would be fortuitous, as he feels "there hasn't been a lot of advancement" in the tablet market.
post #2 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You will see us enter this market in a bigger way toward the end of the year," Dell Chief Commercial Officer Steve Felice reportedly said. "So we are not really deemphasizing it, we are really being careful how we enter it.

reportedly? so you don't believe he actually said it? or you're just too lazy to confirm it so you cover your butt with reportedly?
post #3 of 57
Stunning news. And by then we'll be reading about the launch on our iPad 3's, anticipating iPad 4's launch. Good luck, fellas.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #4 of 57
Ha Ha Ha Ha! Ha Ha Ha !!!

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #5 of 57
Quote:

When you are talking about the tablet or the smartphone, people are interested in the overall environment it's operating in. As we have matured in this, we are spending a lot more time in the overall ecosystem."

"We like Windows 8, but we continue to develop with Android as well," Felice told Reuters. "We are still going to be more choice-driven, based on the feedback we get from customers."

Felice admitted the timing of the release of Windows 8 would be fortuitous, as he feels "there hasn't been a lot of advancement" in the tablet market.

Exqueeze me? Dell has "...matured in the overall environment it's operating in"? Thought it was mostly EOL-ed. I see 2 phones, 0 tablets on their site.

Also nice: "timing of W8 is fortuitous". Looks like Rim doesn't have a monopoly for a crap CEO.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #6 of 57
Awesome! The build quality of my 5'' Streak is superb. The old 7'' model stupidly had a 800x480 panel (same as the 5''), otherwise I would have gotten one.

It seems to make sense that Dell would jump on the Windows 8 wagon, but I am happy to learn that they still consider Android as well.
post #7 of 57
Quote:

Though he didn't reveal a preference one way or the other between Windows 8 and Android, Felice admitted the timing of the release of Windows 8, expected to launch later this year, would be fortuitous, as he feels "there hasn't been a lot of advancement" in the tablet market.

I wonder why executives think that the public is stupid enough to buy everything they say. There hasn't been a lot of advancement in the tablet market? So the iPad is no different than the clunky Windows tablets sold 5 years ago?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I wonder why executives think that the public is stupid enough to buy everything they say. There hasn't been a lot of advancement in the tablet market? So the iPad is no different than the clunky Windows tablets sold 5 years ago?

I don't want to repeat my post from the other ipad3 post, but the advancement since the launch of the ipad has not been that great, if your usage pattern is for instance media consumption and not gaming.

We've seen a number of new tablets at CES and the advancements seem to be screen-resolution/cpu mhz&cores.

Unless Apple pulls a real rabbit out of the hat with their iPad3, but the rumours are "just" quad-core and retina display. Although great advancements, they do not change the landscape for a large group of tablet users (the ones who use it for media consumption or reading mail and taking notes)
post #9 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

I don't want to repeat my post from the other ipad3 post, but the advancement since the launch of the ipad has not been that great, if your usage pattern is for instance media consumption and not gaming.

We've seen a number of new tablets at CES and the advancements seem to be screen-resolution/cpu mhz&cores.

Unless Apple pulls a real rabbit out of the hat with their iPad3, but the rumours are "just" quad-core and retina display. Although great advancements, they do not change the landscape for a large group of tablet users (the ones who use it for media consumption or reading mail and taking notes)

Who said that only advances since the iPad came out are relevant? The iPad is only 2 years old. For Dell to claim that there have been no advances in the tablet market is insane. The market is entirely different today than it was just 2 years ago.

Why does a market need to be completely reinvented annually? That's ridiculous.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #10 of 57
Here we go again.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #11 of 57
I am not sure what is left in this realm, the distinction between consumer tablet and iPad is pretty thin. At the end of the day, when I am using the device, it is all about the integration. Don't really care what chip is in the thing if it is responsive, has great battery and is easy to use.
post #12 of 57
Quote:

I've often wondered this myself. For pure consumption (and light gaming) my ipad2 works great. I don't need it to be reinvented every year.
post #13 of 57
Quote:

You only ask because it isn't being.

There hasn't been a single reinvention since the iPad was launched.

Now, if it actually WAS being reinvented, we could debate the necessity all day.
post #14 of 57
Quote:

Who said that only advances since the iPad came out are relevant?

Who said Dell was talking about a longer period ?

Apple created this new tablet market, and all manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon for the last 2 years. Dell only tried some things with the Streak but has not yet joined this new market. And when asked why they say that for the last two years there have not been big advances, which is true.

It reminders me of a quote from a Windows Phone developer who said (in my own words): 'hey, we're already late to the party, so let's not rush it now'.
post #15 of 57
What feedback from customers? I thought the only feed back they got was "fix this piece of s&*$!" and "I told you already, I tried that and it didn't work!" and "4 hours on the phone with customer service, and the POS is still broken!"

post #16 of 57
Ironic to think Amazon will kill Dell.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Awesome! The build quality of my 5'' Streak is superb. The old 7'' model stupidly had a 800x480 panel (same as the 5''), otherwise I would have gotten one.

It seems to make sense that Dell would jump on the Windows 8 wagon, but I am happy to learn that they still consider Android as well.

Doe's your Streak have already Ice Cream on the Sandwich?

And what do you use a 5" tablet for?

I think most of the tasks can be performed with a smart phone (With a reasonable good display of course).

The size of the iPad or similar devices (once they are built), gives really a huge advantage over the iPhone (e.g.).
post #18 of 57
1) That is ugly, but at least Apple won't likely sue them for the design.

2) It's funny(sad) that CES is showcasing is so many products trying to one up Apple who will release for products that best them in so many ways and if these other vendors release it will be on the heels of Apple's 2013 products.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #19 of 57
I can't help but look at that and think "toy". its mostly the interface.

... at night.

... at night.

post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Hate to break it to you, but a very long list of Enterprise Customers have written extremely advanced applications for the iOS Platform.

Just because the Consumer space hasn't caught up means the opportunities for such equivalent advanced applications are still wide open. And the Gaming is just beginning. It's an extremely immature market to boot.
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Doe's your Streak have already Ice Cream on the Sandwich?

No, it's running an official Gingerbread and I am quite happy with it. ICS is only 3 months old, and that is since Google announced it, which is similar to iOS being pushed to developers. The Streak is almost 2 years, and I know better than to torture 2 yo hardware with a brand new OS. Most features of Android are updated with the Google apps anyway, and many that aren't are not supported in HW either: without an NFC, for example, why would I need system-wide support for it?

Quote:
And what do you use a 5" tablet for?

I think most of the tasks can be performed with a smart phone (With a reasonable good display of course).
<...>

It IS a phone. Dell chose to call it a tablet, but I don't care about their definition. To me, CE manufactures should supply products, not opinions on lifestyle.

I hope your curiosity is satisfied. For a better idea of Dell's tablets, just buy one when they release it.
post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Ha Ha Ha Ha! Ha Ha Ha !!!

Ha Ha Ha

Sorry. I just can't stop laughing. Dell is a f*** joke

post #23 of 57
It seems that CES has become the place that CEOs come to for delivering nonsensical assessments of things they don't truly understand. Or Tweet Choirs.

If Dell is smart they will simply relabel Samsung tabbies and hope like Hades that Win8 is all that and a bag of chips. Their best first plan is leveraging Android, paying Microsoft the requisite licensing fees for Android, and then optimizing the Windows experience.

I'll bet they are banking on using Intel's new x86 mobile chip series to support this.

If Redmond has truly rewritten Windows code to be hardware agnostic, they will have reinvented themselves. I think it is ironic that they have yet to wrtie a version of the Office apps for the iOS/iPad platform. It is not like them to leave a cash cow unprotected but it's a relief to have Redmond close the door on CES keynoting. Mr. Ballmer is just not that good a speaker and really doesn't seem to know what's going on half the time.

All that being said, the statements in this thread about no advancement in the "landscape", I read to mean "no one has successfully addressed Apple's hegemony of the iPad platform", not game changers in form or functionality. The failure here is to assume that there must be constant disruption in order to be able to value the platform as anything other than the old axe "media consumption". The only media consumption device out there is the Amazon Kindle Fire - purpose built for just that. The iPad is far more powerful and more open-ended - judging from the huge variety of productivity, controls, and creativity apps that have been produced for it. Apple broke the ground with the disruptive shift of the iPad away from the old lappy cum tablet broken model, and now are building out by evolution what they disrupted the market with.

Phrases like "media consumption" bely a frank failure to understand what the iPad platform is capable of.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
post #24 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You only ask because it isn't being.

There hasn't been a single reinvention since the iPad was launched.

Yes but what about before the iPad. As the non Fanbois like to point out, Apple didn't create the idea of a tablet. it was around before the iPad. And it wasn't that long ago.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #25 of 57
i'll wait for it to go on sale for $99 six months after it's released
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
post #26 of 57
Ho hum. Dull reminds us once again about the true meaning of the word dull.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I am not sure what is left in this realm, the distinction between consumer tablet and iPad is pretty thin. At the end of the day, when I am using the device, it is all about the integration. Don't really care what chip is in the thing if it is responsive, has great battery and is easy to use.

I'd say (and not snarkily) that if something is labeled a consumer device no one is expected to be surprised when it breaks in six months. It's sort of a qualifier, like "You should always see a doctor before taking any weight loss supplement. In some cases users may experience abdominal pains, so if your intestines feel like they're about to explode see a doctor and stop ordering diet pills from informercials."
post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yes but what about before the iPad. As the non Fanbois like to point out, Apple didn't create the idea of a tablet. it was around before the iPad. And it wasn't that long ago.

Yeah, but… that's what we're talking about. Reinvention. Apple didn't create the first all-in-one computer, but they have reinvented the concept about six times now.

Apple didn't create the first laptop, but they reinvented how a laptop looks and how it's operated three times.

Apple didn't create the first MP3 player, but they've reinvented it twice.

Same with the cell phone and the tablet.
post #29 of 57
Let's face it, Dell are joined at the hip with Microsoft.

Those guys who dared release the Android streak were just waiting to be wooed.
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Hate to break it to you, but a very long list of Enterprise Customers have written extremely advanced applications for the iOS Platform.

Just because the Consumer space hasn't caught up ....

+1 We are running an entire medical practice on the iPad with native apps. And all the PCEEEE vendors trying to peddle Ctrix access as their catch-up -- well, our view is mostly unprintable in polite company. (Even for here)
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

No, it's running an official Gingerbread and I am quite happy with it. ICS is only 3 months old, and that is since Google announced it, which is similar to iOS being pushed to developers. The Streak is almost 2 years, and I know better than to torture 2 yo hardware with a brand new OS. Most features of Android are updated with the Google apps anyway, and many that aren't are not supported in HW either: without an NFC, for example, why would I need system-wide support for it?

It IS a phone. Dell chose to call it a tablet, but I don't care about their definition. To me, CE manufactures should supply products, not opinions on lifestyle.

I hope your curiosity is satisfied. For a better idea of Dell's tablets, just buy one when they release it.

Yup! That's OK. And I certainly will have a look on the new Dell- Tablet. But I guess buying is not an option for me, since it can't possibly be an alternative to my iPad 2. The android Eco System does not get even close to what Apple's AppStore has to offer.
post #32 of 57
That is all...
post #33 of 57
Wow, really Dell? A another try at tablets? They must really be betting that the iPad, Galaxy Tab line, and the Kindle Fire/B&N Tablet will all fail. Who are these mythical people buying Dell tablets? Maybe corporate customers?
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ....

Why don't you take a nap in this thread, much less crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

<..>The android Eco System does not get even close to what Apple's AppStore has to offer.

'k, whatever.
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburg11s View Post

Maybe corporate customers?

Ah, but you see, this is a 'consumer tablet', so they won't be buying it.
post #36 of 57
From what I've see so far, an 'Android' based tablet is a non-starter unless you are talking Amazon's Kindle Fire which is sold at a loss so that Amazon can make $$$ on content. Without end-to-end content distribution a consumer tablet is simply an expensive door stop (ask HP...). Windows 8 is probably where most non-Apple tablet makers will end up. It's Microsoft's first OS that is usable on a tablet and the economics are similar to the current PC market. As the tablet segment matures, it will coalesce around a few standards. My prediction is Apple, Microsoft, and custom Android devices. Consumers will win via choice and price...
post #37 of 57
There's no step 3

With Dell, There's no step 1...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #38 of 57
A tablet! Where does Dell get such industry leading ideas from?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 57
Dell will follow the Streak with the Skidmark.
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, but that's what we're talking about. Reinvention. Apple didn't create the first all-in-one computer, but they have reinvented the concept about six times now.

Apple didn't create the first laptop, but they reinvented how a laptop looks and how it's operated three times.

Apple didn't create the first MP3 player, but they've reinvented it twice.

Same with the cell phone and the tablet.

It's about getting it right. But I'm sure the usual suspects will remind the everyone that Apple didn't invent the TV. Nothing irks them more than hearing people praise Apple. We must not praise Apple!

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › CES: Dell plans to launch first 'consumer tablet' in late 2012