or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple announces education event in New York City next Thursday, Jan. 19

Apple announces education event in New York City next Thursday, Jan. 19

post #1 of 68
Apple on Wednesday sent out invitations for a special event next week on Jan. 19 in New York City, where it has promised an "education announcement in the Big Apple."

The invitation, as shown by The Loop, features a chalkboard-style drawing outlining the skyline of New York. Front and center in the skyline is the Apple logo, while the tagline for the event confirms that the event will involve an education-related announcement.

The media briefing will take place next Thursday, Jan. 19, at the Guggenheim Museum at 10 a.m. Eastern, 7 a.m. Pacific. Previous rumors suggested Apple Senior Vice President Eddy Cue will play a part in the demonstration, which will not show off any new hardware like an anticipated third-generation iPad or rumored Apple television.

Instead, the event is expected to focus on enhancements to the iBooks platform with respect to education and digital textbook publishing. Rumors have suggested the event will highlight iTunes U, a free service Apple provides that gives access to educational content, and other education-oriented topics.

Apple launched its iBooks platform in 2010 with the debut of the iPad. Its digital bookstore eventually made its way to the iPhone and iPod touch, but has not yet become available on Mac or PC.

Reports have said Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was personally involved in this new project before he passed away in early October. Jobs even told biographer Walter Isaacson that textbooks were one product he wanted to reinvent, along with photography and televisions.

Attendees at next week's event are expected to be from the world of publishing, and reports have suggested it will be more of an industry-related event than a consumer-oriented product announcement. One report from earlier this month claimed Apple would take the wraps off of new improvements to its iBooks platform at the event, but any announcements have been characterized as not "major."
post #2 of 68
"But I don't know what to do with all those eMacs and iPad docks…

They're callin' again…"

So. What's this gonna be about?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 68
I may be wrong . . . but isn't next Wednesday the 18th of January, 2012? I sure hope everyone shows up on the correct day!
post #4 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

I may be wrong . . . but isn't next Wednesday the 18th of January, 2012?

Yeah. It's Thursday. Next Thursday.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #5 of 68
Before the iPad came on the market I said that Apple would have to focus on education market right out the gate to really sell the tablet concept work. By that I meant being able to do everything you can do today with textbooks and more. From high quality photos to being able to annotate, bookmark, and take notes right in the textbooks. This mostly later came with iBooks but they still haven't pushed heavily into education markets. I've bought plenty of apps that offer their own take on the textbook. Hopefully Apple has worked out a system that allows for renting textbooks and for getting iBooks on the Mac. I think both are long overdue.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #6 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hopefully Apple has worked out a system that allows for renting textbooks and for getting iBooks on the Mac.

iMessage makes more sense on the Mac than iBooks. The whole point here is to hold the book in your hand. I won't care if iBooks never comes to the Mac, not doing so allows Apple to focus more on making iBooks great as opposed to it being everywhere.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #7 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hopefully Apple has worked out a system that allows for renting textbooks and for getting iBooks on the Mac. I think both are long overdue.

I think we need an adequate authoring platform before we will see many textbooks on iBooks. Right now the closest thing we have to build enhanced format iBooks is inDesign and then fine tune it with a text editor. I just don't think we can get by with that as a work flow methodology. Unfortunately it looks like iBooks might suffer the same fate as web pages. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #8 of 68
My confidential sources, informants and snitches have informed me that Apple will be releasing a low cost ePad on Jan. 19. The ePad will be a low cost version of the current iPad and it will come pre-installed with various educational software and textbooks. They will only be available for purchase by educational institutions and schools.

Actually, I'm full of shit, and I just made all of that up. I just felt like playing one of those retarded analysts for a quick minute and my guess is as good or better than any other guess coming from the people supposedly in the know.
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iMessage makes more sense on the Mac than iBooks. The whole point here is to hold the book in your hand. I won't care if iBooks never comes to the Mac, not doing so allows Apple to focus more on making iBooks great as opposed to it being everywhere.

How is any of that mutually exclusive? iBooks on the Mac would make it a lot easier to copy/paste sections for citations without having to use your finger, then copy to Notes then sync to Mail so you can then write up your report without having to jump from device to device and across multiple apps. There are still real benefits to a mouse pointer, desktop OS, and large display that a finger, mobile OS and tiny screen won't ever overcome.

post #10 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

I may be wrong . . . but isn't next Wednesday the 18th of January, 2012? I sure hope everyone shows up on the correct day!

"Apple on Wednesday sent out invitations for a special event next week on Jan. 19..."

Today is Wednesday January 11th. Does that help?

As an educator, I'm really interested in what this event will bring.
post #11 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think we need an adequate authoring platform before we will see many textbooks on iBooks. Right now the closest thing we have to build enhanced format iBooks is inDesign and then fine tune it with a text editor. I just don't think we can get by with that as a work flow methodology. Unfortunately it looks like iBooks might suffer the same fate as web pages. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

Maybe, but even if they didn't do anything more than release pdf versions of current texts, it would be huge. My daughter routinely carries 3-5 books home with her every day and her backpack probably weighs 25 pounds some days. There's really no excuse for that - her school already issues tablet computers to the kids, so if they had pdf versions, it would be easy.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I hope that is what they have been working on for the last couple years. I have to wonder if some education partners really need its own event or if this is going to focus on new authoring software.

post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Today is Wednesday January 11th. Does that help?

It expressly states "Next Wednesday, Jan. 19" later on. It wasn't a question of arbitrary sentence structure.

post #14 of 68
I think Apple has been making education announcements for quite a while now...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #15 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There's really no excuse for that - her school already issues tablet computers to the kids, so if they had pdf versions, it would be easy.

I occasionally see two young girls on the way to school in the morning. They look like junior flight attendants, each dragging a luggage carrier loaded with a rucksack (presumably full of books). An iPad to take over the job seems a natural.
post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Maybe, but even if they didn't do anything more than release pdf versions of current texts, it would be huge. My daughter routinely carries 3-5 books home with her every day and her backpack probably weighs 25 pounds some days. There's really no excuse for that - her school already issues tablet computers to the kids, so if they had pdf versions, it would be easy.

Although iBooks can read PDF, I have not read that Apple's FairPlay is compatible with Acrobat. The Text book publishers are not going to release non-DRM versions. That is pretty much a given.

post #17 of 68
Apple, bring out a giant touchscreen board so teachers can draw directly on the wall like a white/chalk board and add Siri onto it so the user can command it to bring up content on the fly.
post #18 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

I occasionally see two young girls on the way to school in the morning. They look like junior flight attendants, each dragging a luggage carrier loaded with a rucksack (presumably full of books). An iPad to take over the job seems a natural.

The girls in my neighborhood look like junior strippers, lol. Sorry about the trolling.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #19 of 68
Quote:

Actually, extending Preview.app to incorporate the same capabililties as iBooks for the Mac and thus have ePub 3.0 full support makes sense.
post #20 of 68
I never do this, but I'm having fun because I'm 99% sure I know a secret related to this announcement -- surprised it hasn't leaked, honestly. Won't be able to prove it after the fact if I don't spill the beans though. *sigh*. The part I know doesn't tell the whole story at all anyway, and I'm curious to see how far Apple goes with it.

I guess I could say that before any announcement for any company. Oh well.
post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

I never do this, but I'm having fun because I'm 99% sure I know a secret related to this announcement -- surprised it hasn't leaked, honestly. *sigh* Won't be able to prove it after the fact if I don't spill the beans though. *sigh*. The part I know doesn't tell the whole story at all anyway, and I'm curious to see how far Apple goes with it.

thats basically like saying 'i have a secret btw but im not telling you.' why even bring it up
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

Nobody steals rucksacks full of books. Should parents be concerned on the possibility of attacks against their children from delincuents trying to get an iPad?
post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Actually, extending Preview.app to incorporate the same capabililties as iBooks for the Mac and thus have ePub 3.0 full support makes sense.

I disagree.
post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Wednesday sent out invitations for a special event next week on Jan. 19 in New York City, where it has promised an "education announcement in the Big Apple."

How about just allowing the textbook industry (and perhaps even the regular book industry) to 'loan' books in iBookstore.

They schools could buy eBooks and loan them to students for a course. Then the eBook could be loaned to a different student the next year. Seems pretty easy and would make iBooks *MUCH BETTER*.
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

I never do this, but I'm having fun because I'm 99% sure I know a secret related to this announcement -- surprised it hasn't leaked, honestly. Won't be able to prove it after the fact if I don't spill the beans though. *sigh*. The part I know doesn't tell the whole story at all anyway, and I'm curious to see how far Apple goes with it.

I guess I could say that before any announcement for any company. Oh well.

SJ's thoughts on this subject was fairly well laid out in the bio. I would imagine they will announce partnership deals which will usher in the iPad and IOS (for now) as the new educational textbook platform and hardware.

SJ's comments were, among other things, about the weight of kids' backpacks and more importantly, the idea of a personalised curriculum.
post #26 of 68
I'm the host father to a South African teenager. We had to get her a tote with wheels just so she can lug her textbooks to and from school. It is beyond ridiculous how much paper is used for education and how inconvenient it is. iPad-based textbooks just make sense.
post #27 of 68
I think we all have bad backs with all the books we carry around. Unless you live on campus, you'd want the electronic version.

I suppose all the publishers are getting a smaller market share which is why they've been dragging their feet on this. Do students copy less if the book is in paper form? Do profs really need to wait for itunes to provide an easy and somewhat secure distribution mechanism before they bite the bullet? The technology has been there for awhile, I'm glad it's most likely going to get some widespread adoption with this announcement.
post #28 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

How about just allowing the textbook industry (and perhaps even the regular book industry) to 'loan' books in iBookstore.

They schools could buy eBooks and loan them to students for a course. Then the eBook could be loaned to a different student the next year. Seems pretty easy and would make iBooks *MUCH BETTER*.

It's DATA. Ones and zeroes. People need to get over this nonsense of equating digital textbooks to the physical versions.

Since it costs $0.00 to make multiple copies of an ePub textbook once it is initially designed, there's no excuse for "lending" and there's no excuse for charging $200 per file (college reference).

"Lending" is insane, unless they plan to charge standard library rates for the actual lending. What's that? You want to charge me $75 (k-12 reference) to borrow some data for four months before blocking my access to it? LIKE FUN.

Charge me $75 (k-12 reference) for the purpose of covering the licensing of all the pictures, videos, and interactive diagrams in your books while letting me keep them forever? Yeah. I'm cool with that. VERY cool with that. Getting to keep textbooks from previous years for reference would be great.

post #29 of 68
There are roughly 40M students between the age of 6 and 17 in the US. It would cost Apple $8B or less to give a free iPad to each student - one that's preloaded with education apps. Publishers and education software developers will trip over each other to populate these devices with eTextbooks and related apps, building an Apple-based education ecosystem that even Amazon cannot emulate.

Now that's an education announcement of serious impact. It is very affordable for Apple. It would move most PCs out of classrooms and train two generations of children to depend on the Apple ecosystem. The goodwill generated will likely lead more MacBook Airs and iMacs being sold. The program would be called No Child Left without an IPad.

It won't happen. But just imagine.
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

There are roughly 40M students between the age of 6 and 17 in the US. It would cost Apple $8B or less to give a free iPad to each student - one that's preloaded with education apps. Publishers and education software developers will trip over each other to populate these devices with eTextbooks and related apps, building an Apple-based education ecosystem that even Amazon cannot emulate.

Now that's an education announcement of serious impact. It is very affordable for Apple. It would move most PCs out of classrooms and train two generations of children to depend on the Apple ecosystem. The goodwill generated will likely lead more MacBook Airs and iMacs being sold. The program would be called No Child Left without an IPad.

Is that cost correct? How about educational pricing?
post #31 of 68
Quote:

It would take a LOT of additional sales to make up for 8B, I don't think Apple would get ROI for that.

Now if the Department of Education teamed up with Apple and took 8B from their 71B annual budget to do that, I think that would have a bigger impact than feeding that money to the bloated government bureaucracy it has become.
post #32 of 68
Quote:

my kids school already has iPads for the students. they don't take them home, but they are in their desks.
post #33 of 68
Isn't the real rumor that Apple has secured all of the major textbook publishers for distribution through iTunes for iPad?

If so, this is a huuuuuuuuuge deal and bodes well for iPad in education going forward.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #34 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Isn't the real rumor that Apple has secured all of the major textbook publishers for distribution through iTunes for iPad?

If so, this is a huuuuuuuuuge deal and bodes well for iPad in education going forward.

Yes on both counts hopefully. I'd bet it'd be US and Canada only for now, though : (
post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

my kids school already has iPads for the students. they don't take them home, but they are in their desks.

Yes, everyone is aware that a number of schools have them. So do a number of students. But we are talking No Child Left without an iPad. A whole different situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

It would take a LOT of additional sales to make up for 8B, I don't think Apple would get ROI for that.

Now if the Department of Education teamed up with Apple and took 8B from their 71B annual budget to do that, I think that would have a bigger impact than feeding that money to the bloated government bureaucracy it has become.

We are talking about real impact on education, not about whether Apple will get $8B back in revenue. Furthermore, I already said it was not realistic and so not going to happen. So, sorry, to point out insufficient ROI is oh so pointless.

Quote:

Is that cost correct? How about educational pricing?

Educational pricing - not sure they offer that for iPad (they didn't at the beginning). But that is irrelevant. I'm talking about giving them away, and what that cost is to Apple. Based on iFixit estimates, the BOM cost is ~ $200 per iPad (slightly less?).
post #36 of 68
Quote:

Yes on both counts hopefully. I'd bet it'd be US and Canada only for now, though : (

To start ... they would have to negotiate country by country, or region by region, as they have to for most media.
post #37 of 68
Quote:

Nice, and kind. But the sort of kindness that would end up killing the company.
The problem is that it would cost more than the $8b. Because each family would have less need to buy an ipad. And what happens when those ipads are depreciated? Is Apple going to cough up another $8b?

And then there is everywhere else in the world. Is Apple going to say no to that sweet little african kiddie with the big, soulful eyes you see in aid organisation ads? Where would it all end?
Maybe a subsidised ipad, or even an ipad 2 at a discount once the 3 is released. But freebies? That would be a bag of hurt.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
post #38 of 68
Another one from the biography:

"Most of the dinner conversation was about education. Murdoch had just hired Joel Klein, the former chancellor of the New York City Department of Education, to start a digital curriculum division. Murdoch recalled that Jobs was somewhat dismissive of the idea that technology could transform education. But Jobs agreed with Murdoch that the paper textbook business would be blown away by digital learning materials.
In fact Jobs had his sights set on textbooks as the next business he wanted to transform. He believed it was an $8 billion a year industry ripe for digital destruction. He was also struck by the fact that many schools, for security reasons, don’t have lockers, so kids have to lug a heavy backpack around. “The iPad would solve that,” he said. His idea was to hire great textbook writers to create digital versions, and make them a feature of the iPad. In addition, he held meetings with the major publishers, such as Pearson Education, about partnering with Apple. “The process by which states certify textbooks is corrupt,” he said. “But if we can make the textbooks free, and they come with the iPad, then they don’t have to be certified. The crappy economy at the state level will last for a decade, and we can give them an opportunity to circumvent that whole process and save money.”
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #39 of 68
Quote:

I'd like to believe that Apple is not only visionary but willing to make sacrifices like this to back up their vision...but they would never do this. They are still a company focused on dollars. They make a ton of money from education customers and want to continue to do so with every penny squeezed from every avenue possible.

Additionally, if they did provide this many iPads the problem would arise of support, repairs, obsolescence, etc.

The iPad is gaining traction in education and Apple is slowly providing updates that help with enterprise-level maintenance and use of these devices. I have no doubt the announcement is app related. Interactive textbooks on iPad would be great, just as long as no kid ever ventures outside to try to read one. And who knows how far they are going to go with online learning and interactive remote classrooms for all levels of education.
post #40 of 68
FWIW - Apple's record on Charitable giving is horribly pathetic. The last new worthy item was a $2.6 million dollar company match... as in employees raised $1.3m, Apple came up with the other $1.3m. (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...onprofits.html).
Try finding any kind of giving by Apple corporate.

And would an $8B donation put a crimp in Apple?
Dare ya to Google Apple's savings/cash in bank war chest... (hint, it's over $80 BILLION)

So Apple can do it. But they won't...
Apple doesn't give much to charity.... and nothing to it's shareholders.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple announces education event in New York City next Thursday, Jan. 19