or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Thousands line up in China ahead of Friday launch of Apple's iPhone 4S

Thousands line up in China ahead of Friday launch of Apple's iPhone 4S

post #1 of 54
Hours before the iPhone 4S is set to go on sale in China, massive lines with thousands of people have formed outside of Apple's heavily trafficked retail stores.

Throngs of people gathered outside of Apple's stores in China were captured in pictures shared by Penn Olson on Thursday. China Unicom also began reminding its customers that the iPhone 4S will go on sale Friday at 12:01 a.m. local time with text messages.

The pictures show Apple's two stores in Beijing and three in Shanghai with hundreds of people lined up at each. Most of the stores have a ticketing system to help protect everyone's place.

Apple announced earlier this month that it would launch the iPhone 4S in China on Friday, Jan. 13, along with 21 other countries. The device will be sold through China Unicom, which remains Apple's only carrier partner in the nation of over one billion people.

As an added incentive for mobile customers, China Unicom is offering a heavy subsidy on the iPhone 4S at launch. Subscribers will be able to get Apple's newest smartphone model for free with a new multi-year service contract, and as little as $285 yuan ($45 U.S.) per month.

China has become a very important part of Apple's business with tremendous growth in a relatively short period of time. A year ago, Apple executives revealed that the company's retail stores in China were its most visited in the world, only three years after the company opened its first retail store in Beijing in 2008.
post #2 of 54
Since Samsung can't copy this, they resort to making fun of it
bb
bb
post #3 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Does anyone have photos of people lining up for any Samsung product release?
post #4 of 54
99% of these people are buying it to resale...
post #5 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Does anyone have photos of people lining up for any Samsung product release?

I think you misunderstood, that is the Samsung returns line...

Tom
post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

That's an incredibly inflated percentage.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #7 of 54
Apple is the most important company in the USA. Love to see people around the world admiring apple.
post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

True! At least 10% of Apple products get shipped to Samsung HW for dissection.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

If your claim is true, that would mean Apple needs another 200 Apple Stores in China.
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

If your claim is true, that would mean Apple needs another 200 Apple Stores in China.

What's the point in buying a newer phone for yourself, staying in a huge line, the phone that looks the same as the previous one (in the culture where image is everything), the phone with the main feature not even supporting the native languages of the country?

There is none. You just get iPhone-4 instead.
post #11 of 54
Quote:

92.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

What's the point in buying a newer phone for yourself, staying in a huge line, the phone that looks the same as the previous one (in the culture where image is everything), the phone with the main feature not even supporting the native languages of the country?

Everything but the case design was significantly updated.

post #13 of 54
3 words: GET A LIFE!!
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Who?

post #15 of 54
Fanboys. They are all fanboys. Anyone who like and buy an Apple product is a fanboy
post #16 of 54
Quote:

Who?

Pause.....(Hint: the thousands of people in the pictures)
post #17 of 54
Quote:

Pause.....(Hint: the thousands of people in the pictures)

Ah, so we can just ignore you, then. Okay.

post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Not sure about 200, but they sure need a lot more. The demand is huge in China, but the way those people got the iphones is very inefficient. Basically, people in China produced the iphones, then shipped to US to sell, then bought by people who'd then ship back to China and sell at a higher price. If Apple could just meet the demand in China through stores in China, that'd be great for Apple because more people would be able to get them without all this hassle and wasted resources.
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Fanboys. They are all fanboys. Anyone who like and buy an Apple product is a fanboy

i like and buy an Apple product and i'm happy to be called a fanboy.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #20 of 54
Quote:

A lot of people did not have a chance to buy the iPhone 4 in China. Whether it is the iPhone 4 or the iPhone 4S, they are still willing to lineup for the phone.
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax7 View Post

Apple is the most important company in the USA.

lol, no they are not.

And so far you are the only person I've seen even on this site suggest such a thing.
post #22 of 54
What the pics don't show is that the line ends at the Foxconn plant exit.

post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Of course ...why would you purchase and apple product if you didn't like it.
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Of course ...why would you purchase and apple product if you didn't like it.

Eh, to be fair Fanboys are different than simply consumers...or even people who really like Apple tech and design.
post #25 of 54
Quote:

Right you don't have a life without an apple product.
post #26 of 54
And FYI, while I've commented readily on my lack of understanding for queuing for a product...for a free iPhone 4S with a $45 a month full plan you can bet your ass I'd be in line too.

I'd be the tall black guy in the photo.
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Why not, they copy everything else.
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i like and buy an Apple product and i'm happy to be called a fanboy.

Exactly! We need to "own" the "fanboy" title. What does it say about the competition that they don't have "fanboys?"

Why should anyone be ashamed of enthusiasm for a company that disrupts markets through innovation, fantastic customer service, superior design and a compelling user experience? You shouldn't be ashamed!
post #29 of 54
Quote:

Well aren't you the genius we should all be listening to. How wrong could you possibly be? Try to get yourself a good education... The 4s will soon have mandarin support for Siri so that is a non-issue. Further, the 4s has significantly faster processing power, a much better camera (something used frequently here in China as it is elsewhere in the world), a redesigned antenna for better reception, etc. So just because it has the same form factor, doesn't matter one single bit, even here in China. Do you think people in China have stopped buying Porches, BMW's or Mercedes just because they look like last year's model? Moronic posts are not really welcome here, but they make for a good laugh.
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

lol, no they are not.

And so far you are the only person I've seen even on this site suggest such a thing.

I beg to differ with you but YES they are. My retirement fund tells me so... And name one other US company that has has such a huge impact around the world.
post #31 of 54
right because u know that for a fact right..
post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Quote:

I beg to differ with you but YES they are. My retirement fund tells me so... And name one other US company that has has such a huge impact around the world.

Are you serious right now? How about you tell me what you gauge importance with. Because seems by your standards McDonald's can be called important as well.

Popularity doesn't necessitate importance. Apple isn't important...or at least to the point of being qualified as "most important"

That's absurd...so let me know what criteria it takes for something to be important.
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcasey View Post

right because u know that for a fact right..

Quoting posts helps to put your responses into the proper context.

post #34 of 54
Quote:

Apple isn't important...or at least to the point of being qualified as "most important"

Samsung Electronics would be out of business if not for Apple's engineering efforts.

post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Samsung Electronics would be out of business if not for Apple's engineering efforts.

lol..
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange
Quote:

[insult removed]
post #37 of 54
No personal attacks, please.

post #38 of 54
[insult removed]
post #39 of 54
[insult removed]
post #40 of 54
Quote:

lol, no they are not.

Let me throw my name into the mix. I agree with the original poster.

What is your pick?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Thousands line up in China ahead of Friday launch of Apple's iPhone 4S