or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Religious Absurdity Vol 3: "Being nice is not consistent with religious beliefs."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Religious Absurdity Vol 3: "Being nice is not consistent with religious beliefs."

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
While some may file this story in the "no shit" category, I'll let you just decide for yourselves.

New York City passed anti-bullying legislation. Here it is in its entirety:

Quote:
* § 801-a. Instruction in civility, citizenship and character
education. The regents shall ensure that the course of instruction in
grades kindergarten through twelve includes a component on civility,
citizenship and character education. Such component shall instruct
students on the principles of honesty, tolerance, personal
responsibility, respect for others, observance of laws and rules,
courtesy, dignity and other traits which will enhance the quality of
their experiences in, and contributions to, the community. The regents
shall determine how to incorporate such component in existing curricula
and the commissioner shall promulgate any regulations needed to carry
out such determination of the regents.
* NB Effective until July 1, 2012
* § 801-a. Instruction in civility, citizenship and character
education. The regents shall ensure that the course of instruction in
grades kindergarten through twelve includes a component on civility,
citizenship and character education. Such component shall instruct
students on the principles of honesty, tolerance, personal
responsibility, respect for others, observance of laws and rules,
courtesy, dignity and other traits which will enhance the quality of
their experiences in, and contributions to, the community. The regents
shall determine how to incorporate such component in existing curricula
and the commissioner shall promulgate any regulations needed to carry
out such determination of the regents. For the purposes of this section,
"tolerance," "respect for others" and "dignity" shall include awareness
and sensitivity to discrimination or harassment and civility in the
relations of people of different races, weights, national origins,
ethnic groups, religions, religious practices, mental or physical
abilities, sexual orientations, genders, and sexes.
* NB Effective July 1, 2012

Seems pretty reasonable for a civilized society. Except...yeshivas and parochial schools threw a shit fit. They somehow convinced the board to pass exemptions for them. Here a "victory press release" about it.

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/...s-Beliefs.html

Quote:
I know that parents choose to send their children to either yeshivas or parochial schools because they know that the curriculum will be consistent with their religious beliefs. This is important on both a personal and constitutional level. Parents may now feel secure that because of the Board of Regents vote, their children will not be subjected to lessons that are inconsistent with their religious doctrines, Cymbrowitz stated.

Funny, that just confirms what many of us already know about quite a number of religious folks in this country. Organized religion is the last shelter for bigots of all sorts: racists, sexists, homophobes, and xenophobes. It's high time we stop catering to this. First Michigan legalizes bullying on religious grounds and now this.

How absurd.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #2 of 42
These little (read: enormous) leaps you make are getting amusing. Parochial schools and yeshivas are concerned about being forced to teach widespread acceptance of things they find morally objectionable. I can only imagine this includes "non traditional" genders and gener roles, as well as homosexuality. You go from that to "being nice is not consistent with religious beliefs." Huh?

On the surface, the policy does seem reasonable. But look at the wording. It gives the Regents an enormous amount of leeway in how this policy is implemented. It could be anything from "don't gay bash" to a full-on indoctrination. That's the concern.

Oh, and by the way: I've personally found that religious people are VERY nice. The fact is that most religions DO teach tolerance and respect for others.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #3 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001

Oh, and by the way: I've personally found that religious people are VERY nice. The fact is that most religions DO teach tolerance and respect for others.

Tell that to Jessica Ahlquist. The religious in this country need a fucking lesson in decency. I don't care that they find homosexuals or transgenders morally objectionable. They need to still treat them with the love and kindness that their alleged savior allegedly commanded them with.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

These little (read: enormous) leaps you make are getting amusing. Parochial schools and yeshivas are concerned about being forced to teach widespread acceptance of things they find morally objectionable. I can only imagine this includes "non traditional" genders and gener roles, as well as homosexuality. You go from that to "being nice is not consistent with religious beliefs." Huh?

On the surface, the policy does seem reasonable. But look at the wording. It gives the Regents an enormous amount of leeway in how this policy is implemented. It could be anything from "don't gay bash" to a full-on indoctrination. That's the concern.

Oh, and by the way: I've personally found that religious people are VERY nice. The fact is that most religions DO teach tolerance and respect for others.

Read the law again. The schools were never required to teach acceptance of homosexuality. They were going to be required to teach that intolerance is unacceptable.

Is intolerance acceptable, deedub?
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Read the law again. The schools were never required to teach acceptance of homosexuality. They were going to be required to teach that intolerance is unacceptable.

Is intolerance acceptable, deedub?

Tolerance is defined in the law.

For the purposes of this section,
"tolerance," "respect for others" and "dignity" shall include awareness
and sensitivity to discrimination or harassment and civility in the
relations of people of different races, weights, national origins,
ethnic groups, religions, religious practices, mental or physical
abilities, sexual orientations, genders, and sexes.


Intolerance is defined as not showing awareness and sensitivity to discrimination or harassment.

How can it be against the law to not show awareness and sensitivity? Please explain that to me. This is dealing with state of mind.

The law is a bad one because it takes words like tolerance and dignity and basically says if you don't endorse the agenda you are guilty of intolerance. It codifies a mindset.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #6 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Read the law again. The schools were never required to teach acceptance of homosexuality. They were going to be required to teach that intolerance is unacceptable.

Is intolerance acceptable, deedub?

And atheists are the ones with no moral compass, am I right? Remember all the bullying that took place in that school against the people in favor of the school prayer? Remember when the atheists banded together to attempt to scare the Christians with threats of violence, even murder, while going around posting addresses of key Christians who were in favor of the prayer? Oh, right.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

And atheists are the ones with no moral compass, am I right? Remember all the bullying that took place in that school against the people in favor of the school prayer? Remember when the atheists banded together to attempt to scare the Christians with threats of violence, even murder, while going around posting addresses of key Christians who were in favor of the prayer? Oh, right.

I really don't think mentioning what the opponents of Prop 8 did to Mormons isn't going to help your case.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

They need to still treat them with the love and kindness that their alleged savior allegedly commanded them with.

Is that true? I thought God struck down the sodomites (but then again I have never read a bible in my life).

The purpose of the law is to make a given geographical region a safe place to live, not a nice to place to live. It bans violence, fraud and inciting of violence. It does not ban or attempt to change opinions, even stupid hateful ones.

There are 100 different opinions on any given issue in this world, and everyone is free to try and convince everyone else of the truth as they see it. But they must do it peacefully, using debate, and not try to force people over to their opinion using the law.
post #9 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Is that true? I thought God struck down the sodomites (but then again I have never read a bible in my life).

The purpose of the law is to make a given geographical region a safe place to live, not a nice to place to live. It bans violence, fraud and inciting of violence. It does not ban or attempt to change opinions, even stupid hateful ones.

There are 100 different opinions on any given issue in this world, and everyone is free to try and convince everyone else of the truth as they see it. But they must do it peacefully, using debate, and not try to force people over to their opinion using the law.

In order to cater to their homophobia, many Christians indeed do interpret the story of Sodom and Gommorah as one of a sexual nature. However, the classic Jewish interpretation invokes the cruel and inhospitable nature of the Sodomites and Gomorrans. There are certain sects of Christianity that also share that view. Of course, there's also that whole don't throw the first stone thing and love thy neighbor and all the hippy Jesus stuff that modern American Evangelicals largely forget.

Regardless, I see no compelling argument why civility and compassion shouldn't be taught. If you really want to claim that it's against your religion to be civil and compassionate, perhaps that a flaw in your beliefs and not the rest of society's.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure SDW's experience with nice religious people is genuine. They can be nice...especially to their own. The problem is that many are NOT nice to those who don't share the same beliefs. SDW wouldn't understand that because not only does he share the religious beliefs of the bigots, he clearly has a major blind spot for their misbehavior.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Regardless, I see no compelling argument why civility and compassion shouldn't be taught. If you really want to claim that it's against your religion to be civil and compassionate, perhaps that a flaw in your beliefs and not the rest of society's.

It has a little bit to do with your inability to separate civil and compassionate with police state where people are forced to submit their bodies to whatever the government dictates on health and their mindset to whatever their government declares it ought to be.

Your ideal world is no different than North Korea where a bunch of guns are aimed at all the mourners for their leader making sure they are "civil" and "compassionate" enough in their grief toward their dead leader, and if they aren't then a few broken eggs to make utopia is just fine.

Quote:
Furthermore, I'm pretty sure SDW's experience with nice religious people is genuine. They can be nice...especially to their own. The problem is that many are NOT nice to those who don't share the same beliefs. SDW wouldn't understand that because not only does he share the religious beliefs of the bigots, he clearly has a major blind spot for their misbehavior.

You share the beliefs and the delusional mindset of every leader who only felt the need to purge a few million people to death to make sure their perfect utopia arrives.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It has a little bit to do with your inability to separate civil and compassionate with police state where people are forced to submit their bodies to whatever the government dictates on health and their mindset to whatever their government declares it ought to be.

Your ideal world is no different than North Korea where a bunch of guns are aimed at all the mourners for their leader making sure they are "civil" and "compassionate" enough in their grief toward their dead leader, and if they aren't then a few broken eggs to make utopia is just fine.



You share the beliefs and the delusional mindset of every leader who only felt the need to purge a few million people to death to make sure their perfect utopia arrives.

You're wrong on this. The law is not about teaching how to think. It's about teaching how not to act in a hateful way.
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You're wrong on this. The law is not about teaching how to think. It's about teaching how not to act in a hateful way.

Sorry I didn't just make shit up. I quoted the law and the words within it were not about acts. Awareness and sensitivity are about a mindset.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Sorry I didn't just make shit up. I quoted the law and the words within it were not about acts. Awareness and sensitivity are about a mindset.

The opposite of awareness is ignorance. The opposite of sensitivity is insensitivity. I guess you think the world will be better if we are all ignorant and insensitive. Republicans would surely get more votes. I guess that's the point of the war on education you guys seem to be waging.

Awareness doesn't mean acceptance, nor does sensitivity. That was SDW's word. I presume it's just fine for you when he just makes shit up.
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The opposite of awareness is ignorance. The opposite of sensitivity is insensitivity. I guess you think the world will be better if we are all ignorant and insensitive. Republicans would surely get more votes. I guess that's the point of the war on education you guys seem to be waging.

Awareness doesn't mean acceptance, nor does sensitivity. That was SDW's word. I presume it's just fine for you when he just makes shit up.

Awwwww....the poor little tonton, changes the subject and makes accusations about people when he is once again proven wrong.

You said this was about hateful acts. Point blank you were proven wrong about that and now that you understand it is about a mindset, you lash out about Republicans and SDW.

The point is people shouldn't be able to be prosecuted for their mindset. It's unconstitutional. Even if they put their mindset into speech, to prosecute them for speech is unconstitutional.

It isn't about ignorance and insensitivity. Do you want me to declare you insensitive and ignorant on a topic of my concern and have you go to jail for it or even just be able to be prosecuted or harassed in any form for it?

That is lunacy. That is a police state. In short it is exactly the type of behavior the law claims to prevent but instead all it does is legislate a group with the right mindset CAN bully the other via the state.

EDIT: Hey, here is the future of the U.S. under BR and tonton rule, where the right mindset can lead to a nice labor camp.
It's totally alright because these folks were insensitive and ignorant assholes.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #15 of 42
Can you stop with the lying, please? Just for once? Is it a habit?

I wasn't proven wrong. The law originally stated that students need to be taught that expressing intolerance is wrong. Defend that as thought and not action.
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Can you stop with the lying, please? Just for once? Is it a habit?

I wasn't proven wrong. The law originally stated that students need to be taught that expressing intolerance is wrong. Defend that as thought and not action.

It isn't a lie and you were already shown. I'm sorry if you can't comprehend it.

How do you express intolerance? You do so with the wrong mindset. It defines tolerance and tolerance involves awareness, and sensitivity.

If you don't have the right awareness and sensitivity, you have engaged in the act of being intolerant.

It is straight up mindset as mindcrime. The thought is the action.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Read the law again. The schools were never required to teach acceptance of homosexuality. They were going to be required to teach that intolerance is unacceptable.

Is intolerance acceptable, deedub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The opposite of awareness is ignorance. The opposite of sensitivity is insensitivity. I guess you think the world will be better if we are all ignorant and insensitive. Republicans would surely get more votes. I guess that's the point of the war on education you guys seem to be waging.

Awareness doesn't mean acceptance, nor does sensitivity. That was SDW's word. I presume it's just fine for you when he just makes shit up.

It would be nice if you would actually respond to the spirit of my post, rather than play semantics. Read the law again. It gives a lot of leeway to the regents. I suspect that was their concern.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #18 of 42
Thread Starter 
Take a step back and look what you are arguing for here. The religious folks were concerned that the law might force them to teach their impressionable children that even if you hate someone, it's not OK to treat that person like shit.

Are you going to argue for killing puppies, next?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It isn't a lie and you were already shown. I'm sorry if you can't comprehend it.

How do you express intolerance? You do so with the wrong mindset. It defines tolerance and tolerance involves awareness, and sensitivity.

If you don't have the right awareness and sensitivity, you have engaged in the act of being intolerant.

It is straight up mindset as mindcrime. The thought is the action.

Um..no. You don't express intolerance by having the wrong mindset. That's just retarded. You've been proved wrong (this is a truth) and now you're just spouting nonsense because you can't admit it.

You express intolerance by saying something to someone that attacks them. You express intolerance by doing something that harms them. You don't express intolerance by thinking anything.

You are free to think anything you want. But you need to be taught that you don't go and tell, in other words express to them that they are evil and will go to hell.
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Um..no. You don't express intolerance by having the wrong mindset. That's just retarded. You've been proved wrong (this is a truth) and now you're just spouting nonsense because you can't admit it.

I think you should get some oxygen. The air quality around Hong Kong is clouding your thinking. Quoting the law isn't nonsense. You aren't even engaging the text of the law because you'd rather just scream you are right than deal with reality.

Quote:
You express intolerance by saying something to someone that attacks them. You express intolerance by doing something that harms them. You don't express intolerance by thinking anything.

You express intolerance by not being tolerant. Tolerance is the default state. Tolerance both in the dictionary and in this law deal with attitude aka mindset. If you don't have the right mindset, by default you are intolerant.

Quote:
You are free to think anything you want. But you need to be taught that you don't go and tell, in other words express to them that they are evil and will go to hell.

The law in no form or fashion deals with going and expressing things to people. Again you don't deal with the text of it because it doesn't support your argument.

You've got it backwards. The law doesn't say they have to be intolerant. It declares they MUST be tolerant. The schools in question aren't going out and protesting anything or calling anyone anything. They are being mandated to make sure their students have the proper mindset.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #21 of 42
Repeating the same thing again and again doesn't make it true. The law requires teaching of how to act. Not what to think.
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Repeating the same thing again and again doesn't make it true. The law requires teaching of how to act. Not what to think.

You reflect your own point. Again, you fail to engage the actual ed code. Substituting it for what you want is just rubbish.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Take a step back and look what you are arguing for here. The religious folks were concerned that the law might force them to teach their impressionable children that even if you hate someone, it's not OK to treat that person like shit.

The point is that the law could be interpreted to go MUCH further than this.

Quote:

Are you going to argue for killing puppies, next?

I am not arguing against the law, nor against teaching children tolerance. I am simply saying this religious institutions may have some valid concerns about what the law COULD be used for.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The point is that the law could be interpreted to go MUCH further than this.



I am not arguing against the law, nor against teaching children tolerance. I am simply saying this religious institutions may have some valid concerns about what the law COULD be used for.

Can you give us an example?
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Can you give us an example?

The regents shall determine how to incorporate such component in existing curricula and the commissioner shall promulgate any regulations needed to carry out such determination of the regents.

This give the regents the ability to recommend regulations and gives the commissioner authority to add any regulations necessary to deal with this ed code. That means this is but the beginning and could be extended in any number of ways or likewise interpreted in a manner that adds many more requirements.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I am simply saying this religious institutions may have some valid concerns about what the law COULD be used for.

They also sense that separation of church and state is being broken. The original reasons for separation of church and state in fact apply to any ideology, including modern ones such as unconditional tolerance.

Different subcultures have different ideas about what should be tolerated, some are stricter than others. They should be prevented, by rigorous law and order, from ever using violence against each other, but they should not be forced to respect or even be civil to each other.

I personally am very liberal in my views of what is allowable, but I do not expect someone bought up in an ancient religion to smile, shake my hand and be civil to me. In fact I fully expect him to scowl and mutter under his breath, as I walk past in my jeans, and him in his ancient robes.
post #27 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Can you give us an example?

Indeed, SDW needs to name one and be specific.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The regents shall determine how to incorporate such component in existing curricula and the commissioner shall promulgate any regulations needed to carry out such determination of the regents.

This give the regents the ability to recommend regulations and gives the commissioner authority to add any regulations necessary to deal with this ed code. That means this is but the beginning and could be extended in any number of ways or likewise interpreted in a manner that adds many more requirements.

You didn't answer the question. Can you give an example?

In what way can the regents regulate the schools to force them to do anything that infringes on their religious beliefs? Give one hypothetical example, please.
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You didn't answer the question. Can you give an example?

In what way can the regents regulate the schools to force them to do anything that infringes on their religious beliefs? Give one hypothetical example, please.

Your question wasn't very clear then.

As for what infringes on religious beliefs, all someone would need to do is declare that any religious practice or text was insensitive. However a classic example has been the ongoing fight about access to public facilities and the Boy Scouts. The Boy Scouts do not allow openly gay men to serve as leaders of scout troops.

There have been an array of causes across states and school districts. I believe the issues has mostly been affirmed in the positive as a free speech issue for the scouts. However I also know a lot of scout troops rather than put up with the hassles, simply went to private facilities aka churches and private schools. This ed code could be used in two ways. One it could be claimed that allowing scouts to instruct on private school grounds amounts to teaching intolerance and thus the regents could attempt to regulate the access scouts have to private school grounds.

The flip side of it could be that the regents could decide to declare that private access to one group means the schools must grant access to any groups it deems to be giving the proper state approved character education since it gave access to the scouts. This would force private schools to lose control of their own grounds and what is being taught there.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #30 of 42
Your answer wasn't very clear.

There's no way any regents could censor any content. It's not in the law. All the regents can do is to proscribe content, not censor it, so you are wrong there.

With regard to the Boy Scouts, this also could not be affected by any action of the Regents. They cannot "restrict" anything. They can only require sensitivity to be added to the curriculum. They cannot say, "It's okay to be gay." They can only say, "You should not say or do things that will hurt someone who is gay." Tell me how that is wrong.
post #31 of 42
And sensitivity absolutely does need to be taught.

Find the examples of bullying and suicide in this graphic.

post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Your answer wasn't very clear.

There's no way any regents could censor any content. It's not in the law. All the regents can do is to proscribe content, not censor it, so you are wrong there.

With regard to the Boy Scouts, this also could not be affected by any action of the Regents. They cannot "restrict" anything. They can only require sensitivity to be added to the curriculum. They cannot say, "It's okay to be gay." They can only say, "You should not say or do things that will hurt someone who is gay." Tell me how that is wrong.

I'm sorry but not to be an ass, but you are out of your element and talking out your ass. If the schools could simply do whatever they desired in this area, the religious schools would not have requested the exception. The Ed Code dictates what can be taught.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #33 of 42
Thread Starter 
Tonton, I saw that picture earlier. Thanks for posting it here. Not that any of the bigots here will be swayed by it.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

And sensitivity absolutely does need to be taught.

Find the examples of bullying and suicide in this graphic.


Dude, don't post bomb.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Tonton, I saw that picture earlier. Thanks for posting it here. Not that any of the bigots here will be swayed by it.

Yeah, because we're the bigots.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Dude, don't post bomb.

I decided to go ahead and report the post. It isn't about the content but rather the size of the image. Most forums have an upper limit on the size of images posted. The info on this image states it is 659px × 29999px. That is ridiculous. A link would work just as well and leave the discussion readable.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I decided to go ahead and report the post. It isn't about the content but rather the size of the image. Most forums have an upper limit on the size of images posted. The info on this image states it is 659px × 29999px. That is ridiculous. A link would work just as well and leave the discussion readable.

I reported it, as well. That's just overkill. A link would definitely suffice.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I reported it, as well. That's just overkill. A link would definitely suffice.

If you're using a Mac laptop, it takes all of three seconds to scroll through that graphic. The idea is that while you're scrolling through, one of the heinous things the religious have done might catch you eye. I guess you just want to keep your eyes closed and not be exposed to the truth like a monkey.
post #39 of 42
No, I just think the graphic is overkill and a link would suffice, like I stated.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If you're using a Mac laptop, it takes all of three seconds to scroll through that graphic. The idea is that while you're scrolling through, one of the heinous things the religious have done might catch you eye. I guess you just want to keep your eyes closed and not be exposed to the truth like a monkey.

No, the point is that you are trying to make a case against religion of any kind. The point is to illustrate what anti-religious bigots you two (BR) are.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Religious Absurdity Vol 3: "Being nice is not consistent with religious beliefs."