or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple is first technology company to join Fair Labor Association
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple is first technology company to join Fair Labor Association

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
The Fair Labor Association announced on Friday that Apple is now a participating member, making it the first technology company to earn that distinction.

By joining the FLA, Apple agrees to have the association independently assess facilities in its supply chain and report detailed findings on the association's website. Apple also agrees to uphold the FLA Workplace Code of Conduct throughout its supply chains, and commit to the association's Principles of Fair Labor and Responsible Sourcing.

"We found that Apple takes supplier responsibility seriously and we look forward to their participation in the Fair Labor Association," Auret van Heerden, FLA's President and CEO, said in a press release. "We welcome Apple's commitment to greater transparency and independent oversight, and we hope its participation will set a new standard for the electronics industry."

The announcement comes the same day that Apple released its annual supplier responsibility report. The 2012 edition is Apple's most extensive yet, with 229 total audits conducted, and found that underage labor was significantly reduced last year among the company's suppliers, with no evidence of intentional underage labor.

"We're extremely proud to be the first technology company admitted to the FLA," said Jeff Williams, Apple's senior vice president of Operations. "Last year we performed more than 200 audits at our supplier's facilities around the world. With the benefit of the FLA's experience and expertise, we will continue to drive improvements for workers and provide even greater transparency into our supply chain."
post #2 of 27
Steve was all about making the best possible products, but Tim is unfocused: he wants to make a better world too. So far he has instituted charitable gift matching, turned the Apple Store logos red in the name of AIDS, and now is trying to improve labor conditions in the 3rd world.
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Steve was all about making the best possible products, but Tim is unfocused: he wants to make a better world too. So far he has instituted charitable gift matching, turned the Apple Store logos red in the name of AIDS, and now is trying to improve labor conditions in the 3rd world.

Horrible.
post #4 of 27
Today seems like Apple "feel good" day with all this news

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #5 of 27
Interesting. I thought that they were primarily an apparel/clothing manufacturer outfit. And, closely aligned with unions (although there is nothing necessarily wrong with that).
post #6 of 27
They had to join because they outsource their product manufacturing to fishy companies like Foxconn.

If they had made their own factories ( in the US) they would've have had to join this organization.

This is just a PR stunt to move to distance themselves from the recent events.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

They had to join because they outsource their product manufacturing to fishy companies like Foxconn.

If they had made their own factories ( in the US) they would've have had to join this organization.

This is just a PR stunt to move to distance themselves from the recent events.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Steve was all about making the best possible products, but Tim is unfocused: he wants to make a better world too. So far he has instituted charitable gift matching, turned the Apple Store logos red in the name of AIDS, and now is trying to improve labor conditions in the 3rd world.

Apple has long advocated for making a better world. Tim is just expanding its scope.
post #9 of 27
There is a current 'This American Life' Podcast about a guy who goes to the factories where his beloved Apple products are being made, and talking to the 13 year old girl who polishes the iPhone screens before they're boxed.

Worth a listen. I'm really glad Apple is doing this - but I think they could a lot more to influence the suppliers (as could Dell, Samsung, Sony, Nokia, HP and all the others).

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #10 of 27
oh AI, you're so good at filtering the news

http://gizmodo.com/5875882/nearly-tw...r-hours-limits
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

They had to join because they outsource their product manufacturing to fishy companies like Foxconn.

If they had made their own factories ( in the US) they would've have had to join this organization.

This is just a PR stunt to move to distance themselves from the recent events.

Recent events like workers who put together xbox's going on strike/rioting? Funny how apple do the right thing, something that no other tech company has done, and people like you still stick the boot in.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

They had to join because they outsource their product manufacturing to fishy companies like Foxconn.

If they had made their own factories ( in the US) they would've have had to join this organization.

This is just a PR stunt to move to distance themselves from the recent events.

Nonsense. Apple could have easily looked the other way and pretended companies like Foxconn doesn't mistreat its workers. Instead, the FLA will now independently audit all facilities in Apple's supply chain. That's a good thing.

Also, companies on American soil are regulated, too. Ever hear of OSHA?!?

The purpose of joining the FLA is to improve the workplace conduct code and to ensure fair labor practices. To me, this suggests Apple is trying to improve conditions, not run/distance itself from them as you suggest.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Steve was all about making the best possible products, but Tim is unfocused: he wants to make a better world too. So far he has instituted charitable gift matching, turned the Apple Store logos red in the name of AIDS, and now is trying to improve labor conditions in the 3rd world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Horrible.

Yeah... So unfocused.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Steve was all about making the best possible products, but Tim is unfocused: he wants to make a better world too. So far he has instituted charitable gift matching, turned the Apple Store logos red in the name of AIDS, and now is trying to improve labor conditions in the 3rd world.



You do understand Jobs initiated the iPad Red for Aids research, right? Jobs also had Apple donate a significant amount of money to help decent the anti-gay marriage act in California.

Corporations are treated as people under the Constitution. As such, they should engage in charitable causes, as should the rest of us.
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

They had to join because they outsource their product manufacturing to fishy companies like Foxconn.

If they had made their own factories ( in the US) they would've have had to join this organization.

This is just a PR stunt to move to distance themselves from the recent events.

I don't agree that Apple should build its own factories in the US. Apple doesn't want to be in manufacturing. I, however, think it would be nice for Apple (and other technology companies ) to encourage its suppliers to conduct manufacturing in the US.

It is hypocritical for the US government to rightfully condemn human right conditions in places like China, but than whole heartedly embrace shipping all our manufacturing to these countries thereby enriching and encouraging those countries practices. American workers shouldn't be forced to compete with countries that engage in practice we condemn.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

They had to join because they outsource their product manufacturing to fishy companies like Foxconn.

If they had made their own factories ( in the US) they would've have had to join this organization.

This is just a PR stunt to move to distance themselves from the recent events.

I agree. If they cared about labor policies they wouldn't be overseas to begin with.

I love my Apple products, but just like every other American company sending jobs overseas, they care about money above all else, including the welfare of humans, the planet, or any Patriotism to America.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Steve was all about making the best possible products, but Tim is unfocused: he wants to make a better world too. So far he has instituted charitable gift matching, turned the Apple Store logos red in the name of AIDS, and now is trying to improve labor conditions in the 3rd world.

That sounds quite focused to me. What's vague is the assumption implicit in your remark: that making the best possible products is a goal separate from or superior to that of making the best possible world.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

They had to join because they outsource their product manufacturing to fishy companies like Foxconn.

If they had made their own factories ( in the US) they would've have had to join this organization.

This is just a PR stunt to move to distance themselves from the recent events.



Really dude? 200+ audits in the past year and this is just a PR stunt to distance themselves from recent events? I guess Apple can predict the future and they did all those audits just for the recent events. (read: sarcasm)
post #19 of 27
What Auret van Heerden is really saying is we are glad Apple is now paying us huge sums to support my retirement plans and we don't have to harass the company any more to join us.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

That sounds quite focused to me. What's vague is the assumption implicit in your remark: that making the best possible products is a goal separate from or superior to that of making the best possible world.

In my opinion, total focus on one thing means only doing cause and effect such that the effect will definitely contribute to that thing. This kind of focus is the reason many geniuses wear the same clothes all the time, or are useless at things other people think should be easy. Steve had such product focus and that is what got Apple to where it is, and I worry that Tim does not have that.

For example the free education Apple instituted at supplier factories under Steve makes product better, because the hands making the products are controlled by the minds in those heads, and education makes those minds perform better. But joining an organisation is just a political stunt. It took time to join, and will take time to stay joined, time that could be used directly instituting any improvements on Apple's own recognisance.
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

That sounds quite focused to me. What's vague is the assumption implicit in your remark: that making the best possible products is a goal separate from or superior to that of making the best possible world.

Exactly. Thank you. And stuff the cynics.

The world could use a few more all around visionaries and I for one don't see any solid reason why capitalism can't coexist with a leftist outlook. Good on him, I say.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

... I for one don't see any solid reason why capitalism can't coexist with a leftist outlook. Good on him, I say.

But can a "save the world" mentality produce disruptive/industry changing products?

No it can't, you need a subversive mindset for that, you need to want to uproot the existing order. That's why Steve cultivated a hippy (anti-establishment) mindset. Tim is cultivating a bleeding heart mindset.

All action is ultimately preceded by thought and Tim is changing the thoughts, so how can the products not change? Of course culture does not change overnight, so hopefully there will be a few more years of good products.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

But can a "save the world" mentality produce disruptive/industry changing products?

No it can't, you need a subversive mindset for that, you need to want to uproot the existing order. That's why Steve cultivated a hippy (anti-establishment) mindset. Tim is cultivating a bleeding heart mindset.

All action is ultimately preceded by thought and Tim is changing the thoughts, so how can the products not change? Of course culture does not change overnight, so hopefully there will be a few more years of good products.

I'm pretty sure that both 'designing cutting edge technology' and 'a saving the world minder' (your words, not mine) involve a 'subversive' mindset. They sure don't involve adherence to the status quo.
ANd actually lots of action is preceded by not much thought at all, at least not much long range vision. You only need look at the so-called 'Arab Spring' (or a vote for Bush 2 vs. a vote for Bush 1, if you prefer) to see that.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

I'm pretty sure that both 'designing cutting edge technology' and 'a saving the world minder' (your words, not mine) involve a 'subversive' mindset. They sure don't involve adherence to the status quo.

A leftist outlook is very much the mainstream/status quo. It is the "default" culture that most companies inherit from the street, and is why most companies are not all that innovative. It's why Steve recognised the need to tailor a more subversive culture for his company. Tim is dragging Apple back to this more mainstream line, and along with it will go their innovation. He's not deliberately doing it, he's just being himself, but the CEO sets the tone, and the end result will be the same.

Quote:
ANd actually lots of action is preceded by not much thought at all, at least not much long range vision. You only need look at the so-called 'Arab Spring' (or a vote for Bush 2 vs. a vote for Bush 1, if you prefer) to see that.

So let's see: Apple has a choice of action following from a bleeding heart mindset, or action following from no thought whatsoever. Nope, I don't see how either of those will lead to industry redefining products.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

A leftist outlook is very much the mainstream/status quo. It is the "default" culture that most companies inherit from the street, and is why most companies are not all that innovative. It's why Steve recognised the need to tailor a more subversive culture for his company. Tim is dragging Apple back to this more mainstream line, and along with it will go their innovation. He's not deliberately doing it, he's just being himself, but the CEO sets the tone, and the end result will be the same.



So let's see: Apple has a choice of action following from a bleeding heart mindset, or action following from no thought whatsoever. Nope, I don't see how either of those will lead to industry redefining products.

Uh, really? And when exactly was the last time a leftist president was elected to office in the US? If you say Obama's a leftist I'll simply have to crap my pants laughing. In American politics two parties dominate, Republicans (to the right of Attilla the Hun) and Democrats (Republican-Lite). (None of the above.)

Looking at Apple's use of labor in tin-pot dictatorships like China, I hardly think you can call their corporate culture 'bleeding heart'. Clearly the dollar and profit at any price made such decisions possible.

I still don't see the logic between your attempt to connect 'bleeding heart' mindsets with technological innovation, as if the latter is possible only in the absence of the former. That doesn't make any sense and if it does, you don't explain why or offer any proof.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

I still don't see the logic between your attempt to connect 'bleeding heart' mindsets with technological innovation, as if the latter is possible only in the absence of the former. That doesn't make any sense and if it does, you don't explain why or offer any proof.

It makes sense if you understand, like Steve did, that cause and effect operates in people and culture just as it does in an engine or a chemistry set.

But you seem to like politics. You don't need a Steve-like mind for that, all you need is big horse teeth and an ability to talk crap. So keep practicing and maybe one day you'll be happy.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It makes sense if you understand, like Steve did, that cause and effect operates in people and culture just as it does in an engine or a chemistry set.

But you seem to like politics. You don't need a Steve-like mind for that, all you need is big horse teeth and an ability to talk crap. So keep practicing and maybe one day you'll be happy.

Good dodge on the question, just not good enough. Again, you're leaving a huge gap in your assertion that there's a link between tech innovation and 'bleeding heart' mindsets. All you did there was make a vague reference to something about a 'Steve-like mind", whatever that is. Like a missionary who only quotes the Word, I guess that's the only "proof" you require? C'mon man, give us the goods!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple is first technology company to join Fair Labor Association