or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Bloomberg: LTE-capable iPad 3 production underway, to launch in March
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bloomberg: LTE-capable iPad 3 production underway, to launch in March - Page 2

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

That seems impossible to me but of course I don't have inside information.

I suspect that Apple is not interested in adding complexity and weight to the iPad to accommodate the higher resolution. This can happen eventually but it doesn't seem to be the case at this time, not using existing technology. On the other hand there could be technology available now to make more resolution on the iPad viable.

I guess we'll find out late next month or in March though I do think that bringing out a heavier, pricier iPad is not on Apple's radar.

I disagree there are a lot of android tablets with better resolution than the iPad and a lot more moming this year. If apple does not fo retina there harwear will look out dated and over price. The same for LTE, if CES show somthing is that all new tablets/phones will be LTE...
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

I disagree there are a lot of android tablets with better resolution than the iPad and a lot more moming this year.

No, not if the iPad 3 gets a 2048x1536 display.

Quote:
If apple does not fo retina there harwear will look out dated and over price.



I'm sorry, you actually believe that. That's hilarious.

Quote:
The same for LTE, if CES show somthing is that all new tablets/phones will be LTE...

Oh, no! Apple isn't using a technology that ruins battery life because they're waiting for the chips that won't do that! They must be doomed!

Or, rather, let's apply this somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanwhile, in 2008

"If Apple doesn't add Blu-ray drives to Macs this year, they'll look outdated and 'over price'."

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #43 of 50
Retina Display, quad core, LTE ... Let's not forget Siri and an improved camera.

Once again, the internet is abuzz with all sorts of goodies that Apple might cram into the next device. But has Apple ever delivered every conceivable upgrade in features? Not once that I can think of.

So I'm betting we might get one or two of these features, but I seriously doubt we will get all of them. In fact, I'd bet against getting all of the first 3.
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Moving data, especially off chip is not power free, more data implies more power. Beyond that the GPU has more computations to make to drive all of those pixels. The move to 28nm will certainly help with some of those issues. I will be very interested though to see how Apple addresses these issues.

All that being said what iOS devices really need is more RAM. An iPad with 2GB of RAM would be delightful.

More ram consumes more battery more than any of these other components.
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post

More ram consumes more battery more than any of these other components.

Sorry, but that's inaccurate. It's not even close.
post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Retina Display, quad core, LTE ... Let's not forget Siri and an improved camera.

Once again, the internet is abuzz with all sorts of goodies that Apple might cram into the next device. But has Apple ever delivered every conceivable upgrade in features? Not once that I can think of.

So I'm betting we might get one or two of these features, but I seriously doubt we will get all of them. In fact, I'd bet against getting all of the first 3.

It's true, Siri and Retina Display are the real selling points here. Quad core cpu or LTE are just nice to haves but they won't move units like the first 2, they're just tech-geek details that don't really matter.

The Retina Display is how you see everything, and arguably the most important component of any computer is the quality of the display. Siri puts an intelligent assistant inside your highly mobile computer. Those things have to be the priority for Apple, they are strong differentiators and provide clear reasons to buy an iPad.

I expect quad core cause that's where the line of iOS devices (including the TV set) is headed in 2012. I don't expect LTE this soon from Apple, they are always a step behind on networks because compatibility and battery are more important to them than raw speed.
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Sorry, but that's inaccurate. It's not even close.

Taking the iPad from 512MB to 1GB of memory, without improvements to power saving techniques and/or battery size, would easily shave 1-2 hours off of the 10-11 hour battery life. This would impact battery life more than a Retina Display would.

Now I'm pretty sure that the quad core battery drain vs dual core battery drain is comparable and not a terribly big issue. Could be that going from 3g to LTE would be worse than increasing RAM in terms of power usage, but that is debatable and you could be right on that point.

I think people will be complaining about the amount of RAM in iOS devices for the next few years because Apple will always be conservative with the total. Battery life in a 10+ hour device trumps most other issues. But the simple fact is that Android needs more ram to do the same thing that iOS does with less. I have 1GB tegra 2 and 3 based tablets and they perform worse (and definitely have worse battery life) than an iPad 1 with 256MB. The level of efficiency with iOS is unparalleled in our industry, and Apple needs to keep this effort up.
post #48 of 50
Can someone tell me what the big deal with LTE is. I mean without unlimited data doesn't that just mean you'll hit your data limit faster. Here in Switzerland I think our 3G network taps out around 11 megabits which I have to say is pretty fast for me but I have a unlimited data plane.

It only cost 50 bucks on top of any regular call plan to get it here. I use anywhere between 500 MB to 1 GB a day because I like to stream TV, watch a few Youtube videos and listen to Podcasts while I work. Really if I think about I don't even consider myself a heavy user so I don't know how anyone could survive with only 1 gig per month. Even with 10 GB, I would have to do some serious data conservation.

I really feel sorry for you Americans.

I just checked my data consumption for the last 6 months and I am averaging about 18 GB a month. A lot of my friends even use their Mifi devices as their main source of internet connection at home. You should see their daily consumption of one guy I know, he uses like 20+ GB a day.

In all fairness though the contract does state that the provider has the right to taper of your network speed if they feel you are abusing the service but if your downloading 600GB+ a month without any sign of slowness I don't know what dictates as abuse. 1 terabyte maybe.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Can someone tell me what the big deal with LTE is. I mean without unlimited data doesn't that just mean you'll hit your data limit faster.

That's the big deal. The telecoms are pretty happy about it.

Quote:
I really feel sorry for you Americans.

We feel really sorry, too.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Can someone tell me what the big deal with LTE is. I mean without unlimited data doesn't that just mean you'll hit your data limit faster.

Faster data rates surely mean you have the opportunity to hit any usage ceiling faster but the same can be said for the faster '3G' networks and smartphones that have been coming out for years and will be coming out years from now.

In the end if you do the same things — like watch x many videos or read x many websites — your data usage is the same if what you access is the same. How this gets tricky is if 1) you do more stuff because you can, 2) you choose higher-quality audio/video because you can, or 3) the remote services you access increase the data being sent because the throughput is faster.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Bloomberg: LTE-capable iPad 3 production underway, to launch in March
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Bloomberg: LTE-capable iPad 3 production underway, to launch in March