or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Reacting to Apple at CES 2012, part two: Samsung's Galaxy Note
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reacting to Apple at CES 2012, part two: Samsung's Galaxy Note - Page 3

post #81 of 103
My Company just replaced all of their Sales, IT and Trading departments Blackberries with the Samsung Galaxy Note. I live in Switzerland we've had the Note since November. Anyway, it's a really fantastic phone, the screen, that screen .... aaaahhhh it's beautiful and the rez, AMAZING!!. I don't care what anyone say's long live the stylus, very usable utility for jotting down fast ideas, graphs, notes, Looney Tunes characters. Actually it kind of makes you lazy, all of my notes are now written instead of typed. Oh well, hey at least I've gotten good at drawing snoopy, Charles Schwarz be proud.

Yes, it is a big phone but all of us wear those silly Bluetooth wireless devices so it makes it easier. Surfing on it is a dream, editing Word and Excel files is actually doable, the email client is fast with lots of features, very, very fast, camera is comparable to my iPhone 4s, minisd, thin and light enough for my pocket. So I get a tablet/phone that fits in my pocket for 200 less then a iPhone with 1280 x 800 resolution screen. I'm sorry guys but it's a steal at 550 bucks it's a no brainer for a company when you get so much functionality for a fraction of the cost of what the other guys are selling.

Oh sorry I should tell you that here in Switzerland the Galaxy Note is 550 CHF retail where as the Apple iPhone is 750 chf. This is unlocked prices of course. Plus Swisscom/Orange/Sunrise, our providers here, offers deals in bulk purchases for companies for the Galaxy Note, Apple products no, because they don't deal, at least that is what the providers told us. Maybe it is different in the US I hope so for Apples sake if they want to even think about getting into the government sector.

In fact Credit Suisse, UBS, Swiss government offices, Manor, Nestle and Julies Baar are also replacing there Blackberries with Galaxy Notes here. (It was in a news story last month). There really popular here for business people. It was the all those black outs last year that changed the minds of everyone to get rid of their Blackberries. A real shame to as I still like my RIM Bold, there is still no substitute over a real qwerty keyboard.

Long story short, until you see this thing and get to touch it in person I wouldn't pass judgment so soon because if you think the iPhone is king, I have both of them and the Galaxy Note is .... well .... aaahhh .... it's just down right bitchen!

All hail the stylus baby!
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #82 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

..... Julies Baar ....

Who are they?
post #83 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Who are they?

Ooops I meant to say Julius Baer. I live in Baar Switzerland so I had that on my mind when I typed it. Their a large private bank, they hold money for small governments, your typical friendly dictator or mob types trying to hide their skimming's.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #84 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Ooops I meant to say Julius Baer. I live in Baar Switzerland so I had that on my mind when I typed it. Their a large private bank, they hold money for small governments, your typical friendly dictator or mob types trying to hide their skimming's.

Could you provide a link to that news story?
post #85 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

As Solipsismx mentioned in another thread, Apple went overboard with the ppi of the iPhone to the point it had more than was needed to render pixels invisible. The term 'retina display' is therefore inaccurate, I think, if it is to have a technical meaning.

My Samsung S8500 Wave has a 282 ppi AMOLED screen and the individual pixels are not resolvable, so text etc look very crisp and curves are very smooth. DED saying "near Retina" implies inferiority, when in terms of unresolvable pixels, it wouldn't be.

Yes but saying that isnt quite true for pentile displays is it? if i only have have blue and green resolution of 100 x 100 but for red i have 100 x 50. Is my resolution 100 x 100? I think not exactly. I would say false marketing....

I like the retina display. Its maybe not that meaningfull for people over 50 that need glasses to read anything thats smaller than 14 font on a screen, so its not a dealbreaker for everyone.
post #86 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Its not "Wacom-esque" it IS a Wacom digitzer with 256 level of sensitivity (pressures).

Example video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSpbD..._order&list=UL

Now does it REALLY measure 256 individual pressures or are you just making that up? Why does he need to adjust opacity all the time when he has chosen a particular colour??? It gets my doubts at this stage though looking at the video....

Its a Capacity display with a surface made of glass so the magic would have to be done on the pen side if it was true? Couldnt u just produce a buetooth pen that does this and use it on the ipad2??? Voila! you have a digitizer tablet aka Wacomesque.
post #87 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by habi View Post

Yes but saying that isnt quite true for pentile displays is it? if i only have have blue and green resolution of 100 x 100 but for red i have 100 x 50. Is my resolution 100 x 100? I think not exactly. I would say false marketing....

I like the retina display. Its maybe not that meaningfull for people over 50 that need glasses to read anything thats smaller than 14 font on a screen, so its not a dealbreaker for everyone.

My display is pentile, so what I said is true for pentiles. The relevant point is how the display looks to the unaided eye in actual usage conditions. As I said, you can't see the pixels and you sure can't count the dots. All dispalys create an illusion. It is the quality of the illusion that is relevant, not what it looks like through a microscope.
post #88 of 103
Even with all its horsepower, the Galaxy Note's user interface still feels a bit sluggish even compared to a 2009 iPhone 3GS, despite being powered by chips with a faster clock speed than brand new iPhone 4S.


That is just a ridiculous statement, as well as being a load of total and utter balls. It's lightning fast. I would say as fast as a 4S and a 3Gs? Come one son, did you see the 3GS running OS5 yet? Apart from the fact that they got a gimped version, it's nowhere near the speed of the Note.

There's blinkered, then there is just plain lies.
post #89 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

There are quite a few Windows tablets that offer stylus input, drawing, etc... but they are a niche. Anytime someone mentions OneNote I have to ask... "is that a very popular program compared to general office programs?"

It's not. Drawing on a device is nice... but it's far from mainstream. And for every one person using a Wacom for drawing... there are thousands of people who have no use for such a thing.

I feel that the Galaxy Note will be the one and only stylus phone for quite some time. It might gain a small following... but will not be a star seller.

I don't think Apple has a stylus on their radar.


Yes, OneNote is very popular for note-taking for college and grad students. It's pretty much the default option.
post #90 of 103
Pretty soon, Apple Insider will have to start calling itself "Apple and Samsung Insider." This website is increasingly following Samsung's every move. Seriously.

post #91 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Like I said, the modest success of an innovative albeit niche non-Apple device gets some peoples' panties in a bunch so they start making shit up and posting rubbish.

Right, but I'm not talking about any device, am I? Don't really care about the Note one way or the other, not my cup of tea but for those who want something like this, why not?

What I do care about is the quality of discussion on these boards, and the constant whinging of Samsung/Android fans.

But I understand: when cries of "fanboy" are literally your only rhetorical device, it's going to be a constant drumbeat regardless. As always, I wonder about the sanity of people who feel so compelled to school those poor benighted Apple fans, over and over again, on an Apple-centric site. I would have assumed there was more satisfaction to be had acquiring and using the devices of your choice?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #92 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Is it just me or is a refrigerator that runs apps one of the stupidest ideas that this industry has ever come up with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

This is an idea just a little ahead of its time. As RFID tags get cheaper and cheaper, a "smart refrigerator" could keep track of what is or is not in your refrigerator and pre-order groceries for you. Connect that to your grocery stores supply chain and big efficiencies could be made, driving down prices.

I agree that as it stands, I don't get it, but a refrigerator with intelligence could be a powerful idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, I can understand the concept of using RFID tags being tracked by a refrigerator. But why does the refrigerator need to run Angry birds, for example?

It's only you. (And the rest who haven't thought this through....)

It's not about Angry Birds, dude....

....Networking your home appliances, lighting systems, HVAC, car, iDevices, PC etc. into a single interface is going to be very powerful and have uses that many have already detailed and more we haven't thought of yet.

And I'll note that my new refrigerator does have a (limited, non-networked, non-RFID sensing) touch pad interface already that gives me most of the frig controls I use. And it's not even all that high end.

Never limit your thinking.....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #93 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

It's only you. (And the rest who haven't thought this through....)

It's not about Angry Birds, dude....

....Networking your home appliances, lighting systems, HVAC, car, iDevices, PC etc. into a single interface is going to be very powerful and have uses that many have already detailed and more we haven't thought of yet.

And I'll note that my new refrigerator does have a (limited, non-networked, non-RFID sensing) touch pad interface already that gives me most of the frig controls I use. And it's not even all that high end.

Never limit your thinking.....

I doubt he has a problem with a networked fridge. It's about putting apps on there that are dumb. Have you seen the Nest thermostat? It's really great, but you can't check Facebook with it.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #94 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I guess the modest success of an innovative albeit niche non-Apple device gets some peoples' panties in a bunch so they start making shit up and posting rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right, but I'm not talking about any device, am I? Don't really care about the Note one way or the other, not my cup of tea but for those who want something like this, why not?

What I do care about is the quality of discussion on these boards, and the constant whinging of Samsung/Android fans.

But I understand: when cries of "fanboy" are literally your only rhetorical device, it's going to be a constant drumbeat regardless. As always, I wonder about the sanity of people who feel so compelled to school those poor benighted Apple fans, over and over again, on an Apple-centric site. I would have assumed there was more satisfaction to be had acquiring and using the devices of your choice?


Ehhh, when reading posts and commenting here, it's best to keep your expectations of a reasoned discussion as low as possible. It IS an Apple-centric website. People do make shit up all the time. I've had numerous WTF moments upon reading comments by posters who seem to have this idea that they've suddenly obtained MBAs and engineering degrees by reading articles about Apple's and Samsung's business plans. When it was announced Samsung was fabbing chips for Apple, we had some morons here claiming Apple would one day stop buying from Samsung and outright buy that factory.



Then we had another retard making shit up about how it would be in Apple's best interests to buy up Samsung.



The list goes on. You have a few posters here on AI whose commentary I find to be rather insightful and informative--often times more so than that presented by Apple Insider's articles. Then you have teeny boppers and jobless humanities majors who probably couldn't handle the basics of business management to save their lives. These probably make up a good chunk of AI comment section's bullshit spin department. Never mind that half the time, they recycle and regurgitate talking points by Apple's marketing team. Rule of thumb: Don't rehash what other people say.


Don't get me wrong. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a fan. I'm a fan of Intel SSDs for one. But it's the fanboys who give Apple fans a really bad rep.


Again, best thing to do is to not let the funny comments get to you. If you're bored, ask them to provide their reasoning for their arguments. You'd be surprised at the kind of funny shit they come up with.
post #95 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

My display is pentile, so what I said is true for pentiles. The relevant point is how the display looks to the unaided eye in actual usage conditions. As I said, you can't see the pixels and you sure can't count the dots. All dispalys create an illusion. It is the quality of the illusion that is relevant, not what it looks like through a microscope.

Atleast not any of my computerdisplays (nor iphone/ipad) that I own dont create ANY illusions of the picture!!!

Care to elaborate???

Are you talking about lossy compression of pictures and movies???

Try drawing some thin red lines on a black background across the screen and you´ll go crying somewhere... Even "small" red text is pukey... Not to even talk about what the smoothing of text looks like....

http://http://www.tomsguide.com/us/slideshow/IMG_4564,0101-318722-0-2-3-1-jpg-.html

PS Maybe you have naturally bad filters in your head? (you need glasses?)
post #96 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by habi View Post

Atleast not any of my computerdisplays (nor iphone/ipad) that I own dont create ANY illusions of the picture!!!

Care to elaborate???

So when you look at your displays, you clearly see every single Red Green and Blue subpixel do you, or do you see a white dot? The white dot - or any other colour that isn't the intrinsic hue of the sub pixel phosphor - is an optical illusion.

All that matters is the quality of the illusion the eye-brain perceives.

Quote:
PS Maybe you have naturally bad filters in your head? (you need glasses?)

Maybe you should look at a few more display technologies with your own eyes instead of reading, believing and regurgitating all the anti-Samsung and anti-OLED drivel that gets spouted on AI.
post #97 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Maybe you should look at a few more display technologies with your own eyes instead of reading, believing and regurgitating all the anti-Samsung and anti-OLED drivel that gets spouted on AI.


Couldn't have said it better. When netbooks were out, you had fanboys claiming there was no need for them as they could supposedly type fast enough on their iPhones and iPod Touches. Yeah. Right. Who wants to type a school paper on a phone?

Then the smaller Macbook Air got a release.

Delusions and fanboyism at their finest.
post #98 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack99 View Post

Couldn't have said it better. When netbooks were out, you had fanboys claiming there was no need for them as they could supposedly type fast enough on their iPhones and iPod Touches. Yeah. Right. Who wants to type a school paper on a phone?

Then the smaller Macbook Air got a release.

Delusions and fanboyism at their finest.

1) Nobody said there were no need for netbooks because we had smartphones and PMPs. People said that the netbook experience was poor because of all the cost cutting techniques used by vendors to degreade the user experience.

2) Netbooks were a failure because of the cramped keyboard, slow CPU pushing an OS not designed for it, and very poor displays, except for Asus. The 11" MBA, while too small for my needs, has a good quality display, full sized keyboard, and Core CPU not an anemic Atom. It boots in under 10s and wakes from hibernation in 1s.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #99 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Nobody said there were no need for netbooks because we had smartphones and PMPs. People said that the netbook experience was poor because of all the cost cutting techniques used by vendors to degreade the user experience.

2) Netbooks were a failure because of the cramped keyboard, slow CPU pushing an OS not designed for it, and very poor displays, except for Asus. The 11" MBA, while too small for my needs, has a good quality display, full sized keyboard, and Core CPU not an anemic Atom. It boots in under 10s and wakes from hibernation in 1s.



Funny, because quite a number of tech blogs had comments that ran along some fanboy variation of what I just described. It's accepted that fanboys in general tend to hate on whatever category their brand doesn't specialize in.


But now that you bring it up, I'll bite. Whether the netbook user experience is or even was "poor" in the first is subjective. Yes, things would slow down to a crawl if you tried loading up a hundred different applications at once. And yes, some notebooks were better than others. But isn't that the case with all products? For what they were designed, they were actually pretty decent. I don't know about display quality, but really...what do you expect from a $300 netbook vs a $999 iOS "netbook?" We don't even need to address CPUs and other components as you can buy a separate notebook for the same price difference.


Though sales have fallen somewhat in the wake of regular notebooks whose prices have fallen drastically in the past 3 years and the introduction of tablets, they're still here to stay. That's just the nature of the market.


And your comment doesn't really address what the previous poster was discussing, which was whether displays create an image via "illusion."
post #100 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack99 View Post

Funny, because quite a number of tech blogs had comments that ran along some fanboy variation of what I just described.

No they didn't. Your inability to be objective means you've seen what you've wanted to see.

Quote:
nd whether the user experience is or even was "poor" is subjective.

No it's not. When it takes 5 minutes for a netbook to boot, when Flash will stutter playing back 480p then it's not subjective. It's an issue with SW on that HW. It's very measurable and very repeatable.

Quote:
Yes, things would slow down to a crawl if you tried loading up a hundred different applications at once.

So at 99 apps it ran great but at 100 things slowed down? Hyperbole much?

Quote:
But for what they were designed, they were actually pretty decent.

No... no they weren't because they were designed to trick the customer into thinking they could do everything a normal notebook could do and they clearly couldn't. Windows wasn't design for that level of inept HW.

Quote:
I don't know about display quality, but really...what do you expect from a $300 netbook vs a $999 iOS "netbook?"

Asus did it.

Quote:
If you ask me, it's hard to justify a $600-$700 premium unless I'm going to be using a 11.6" display notebook to perform an extensive number of functions. In such a case, I think I'll go for a bigger display notebook.

So your basis for cost is based around the display size. At least you're consistent in making stupid comments.

The CPU used in the MBAs (and all the other Ultrabooks) cost as much as the average netbook in lots of 1000 from Intel. That's the CPU!. That doesn't include the quality case, or quality keyboard, quality display, SSD, or any of the other components that make Apple's MBAs (or other Ultrabooks) actually usable.

Quote:
Though sales have fallen somewhat in the wake of regular notebooks whose prices have fallen drastically in the past 3 years, they're still here to stay.

You can still buy Necco Wafers but that doesn't mean they are a popular or good candy. Lets look back to CES 2012 and notice the focus of the event was on Ultrabooks, not netbooks. That should tell you something about how Aplpe was right and you were wrong... once again.

BTW, people loved their 12" PowerBooks. This finally replaces them and Apple did it with quality HW and design without limitations of usability faced by netbook users.

If you were objective in any way you'd instantly know I'm right because the $999+ MBA and $499+ iPad are selling well and netbooks aren't.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #101 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's Galaxy Note takes on the iPad, with a phone

Galaxy Note is a beatuful and multi functional handset whereas Ipad is a simple and easy-to-use tablet. IMHO, they serve different purposes, hence in different market.

Our family use our Galaxy Note on the move. We use it as a media player for our pre-schoolers (does not need any application to play video files), camera (beautiful, we completely replaced our Sony digital camera with it), video camcorder (again, full hd quality with mp4, beautiful), navigator, tablet(no need to zoom in when browsing), phone, note, scheduler, game player and more.

We use our Ipad2 mainly at home by our preschoolers who currently enjoy Youtube a lot. We initially complained paying high for a toy, but we settled to be happy with it and are now very satisfied with its user-friendliness. My aging mother-in-law visited us and, when she saw our preschooler playing with Ipad2, she wanted one. In the end, I bought an Ipad 2 for her. Ipad2 connects people between all ages.
post #102 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So when you look at your displays, you clearly see every single Red Green and Blue subpixel do you, or do you see a white dot? The white dot - or any other colour that isn't the intrinsic hue of the sub pixel phosphor - is an optical illusion.

All that matters is the quality of the illusion the eye-brain perceives.

Maybe you should look at a few more display technologies with your own eyes instead of reading, believing and regurgitating all the anti-Samsung and anti-OLED drivel that gets spouted on AI.

Well that all depends. Do I watch hdtv from close. I could but wont. do i see difference on 720p or 1080p films frmo further. YES I can. Not maybe in every scene but where it matters.
Then those screens also many have image filters applied to them but thats a whole other thing than was discussed! Computer AND phone displays. Do i see all the pixels on my computerscreen? YEAH! crisp as hell. It would absolutely _kill_ a normal 24" 1900 x 1200 display if you used pentile in the way discribed....

As for a phone with a large resolution. It depends what you do. What resolution on the pentile and how close you watch it. I might read very small text indeed on the iphone. Still unbelievable how you can read text that is WAY smaller than 1mm. Watching a movie it might not be that noticeble but using apps and text. Much more likely. And it depends mostly on how good the users eyesight is ofcourse...

I do look at them... And as said I believe that the resolution for pentile has to atleast equal "retina display" resolution so that anybody with 20-20 vision wont notice...
post #103 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Galaxy Note is a beatuful and multi functional handset whereas Ipad is a simple and easy-to-use tablet. IMHO, they serve different purposes, hence in different market.

Our family use our Galaxy Note on the move. We use it as a media player for our pre-schoolers (does not need any application to play video files), camera (beautiful, we completely replaced our Sony digital camera with it), video camcorder (again, full hd quality with mp4, beautiful), navigator, tablet(no need to zoom in when browsing), phone, note, scheduler, game player and more.

I dont understand that statement AT ALL?!?! The iphone is a multifunctional handset. I do everything on it. As is the Ipad i do almost everything on it (not music and phonecalls, but video calls I do).

All that we do with the ipad or iphone. Ipad movies in the car(or gaming), iphone gaming averywhere (single or multiplayer) as we have several phones. And ios takes on the graphical gaming to a new level on any small mobile device compared to any bastard java games (even precompiled). And I watch media on the road with the iphone if i dont have the ipad along.... still like the phone that FITS in the pocket. That note is way too big if yout not wearing a big wintercoat to fit it in. Maybe the note is good if you have a handbag?!?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Reacting to Apple at CES 2012, part two: Samsung's Galaxy Note