or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iPad may make Apple world's largest PC maker in holiday Q4 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPad may make Apple world's largest PC maker in holiday Q4 2011

post #1 of 83
Thread Starter 
Apple's fiscal Q4 iPad shipments in the September quarter were enough to propel the Mac maker into a near tie in unit sales with global PC maker HP. When Apple releases figures for the final quarter of 2011 later this month, it may become the world's largest PC maker.

After Fortune published a graphic showing the huge impact of Apple's iPad sales on PC market share, Sebastian Peitsch of German blog Apple Outsider painstakingly researched PC market share figures back through 2008 to offer a corrected version.

His graphic portrays what Garner would have reported since 2010 if the research company weren't artificially excluding the iPad from its PC market share figures, a tactic it suddenly initiated alongside the launch of the iPad after years of including Microsoft's Tablet PCs, UMPCs and other tablets in its official PC numbers.

Gartner is likely to begin counting Windows 8 tablets, some of which are expected to use ARM chips, as PCs out of fealty to the company that has funded much of its research.

Adding iPad sales back to Garner's figures dramatically shows how Apple overtook Lenovo and Dell after just three quarters of iPad sales in its first year, then rebounding the next year with iPad 2 to arrive right on the heels of HP's PC sales in the third calendar quarter of last year.



Macs up, PCs down

Apple is expected to report sales of around 13 million iPads in the fourth quarter and more than 5 million Macs, which may be enough to beat HP and become the world's largest PC maker ahead of schedule.

NPD Group reported last week that consumer electronics sales were down across the board in the US, but specifically noted that desktop PCs were down 2 percent, while notebook sales were down 5 percent. That's in sharp contrast to Apple's rapidly growing sales of iPads and Macs.

Previously, research firm Canalys predicted that Apple would overtake HP to become the top PC maker in the world next year, a conclusion HP's chief executive Meg Whitman agreed with before expressing hopes that HP could win back the title of being the top PC maker in 2013.

Beyond unit sales, Apple already leads the PC market in revenues and profitability. Each Mac and iPad Apple sells impacts the sales of both Microsoft and its PC partners, and in the case of ARM-based iPads, also takes a hit on Intel's chip sales. Intel, Microsoft and their PC partners are hoping that a new crop of Ultrabooks and tablet designs running Windows 8 will lure buyers back to non-Apple PCs.

However, both Intel and Microsoft are reportedly hoping to maintain high component prices for PC makers, a strategy that is likely to keep Windows 8 tablets prices between $599 and $899, the same price that appeared to kill any interest in Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablets in 2011.
post #2 of 83
Tablets are not PCs. At least not yet. In the future the lines between PC and tablet will blur but right now they are not. My phone does everything my iPad does, is it a PC? Anything to boost numbers. Are all the other manufactures having their tablets counted? They are pretty crappy but I would venture they sold enough to offset Mac sales. Heck, motorcycles cut into automobile sales but that doesnt make a motorcycle a car.
post #3 of 83
Holiday quarter of 2011 or 2012?
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #4 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Tablets are not PCs. At least not yet. In the future the lines between PC and tablet will blur but right now they are not. My phone does everything my iPad does, is it a PC?

1) Yes, your phone is technically a personal computer.

2) Why were notebook considered PCs when they couldn't do everything that a desktop PC could do? Apparently you can have less HW and still be considered a PC.

(This is where you start thinking of an argument based on the OS used)

3) So will the Win8 tablets then be PCs, but iOS, Android, et al. won't be PCs? Remember that previous Windows tablets were counted as PCs.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #5 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Holiday quarter of 2011 or 2012?

It's fiscal quarter Q1 2012 or calendar quarter Q4 2011. I'd choose the latter since it's being compared to the industry.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #6 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Yes, your phone is technically a personal computer.

2) Why were notebook considered PCs when they couldn't do everything that a desktop PC could do? Apparently you can have less HW and still be considered a PC.

(This is where you start thinking of an argument based on the OS used)

3) So will the Win8 tablets then be PCs, but iOS, Android, et al. won't be PCs? Remember that previous Windows tablets were counted as PCs.

I agree, a personal computer is a personal computer but to just use the iPad to artificially inflate Apples numbers is ignorant. The iPhone/smart phone can do everything a tablet can yet phones are not included. Are all the other manufactures tablets also included?
post #7 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

... Heck, motorcycles cut into automobile sales but that doesnt make a motorcycle a car.

This is a really bad analogy.

Motorcycles do not traditionally "cut into" automobile sales. No one goes out looking for a car and then decides to get a motorcycle instead (or at least very few people do).

There are however lots of folks who (according to their testimony), went out to get a laptop and instead bought an iPad.

The whole category of "PC sales" is poorly defined and problematic anyway. If they just said "computers" or "personal computing devices" Apple already leads the world as that would include iPhones and iPods.

Even the original "PC" definition actually includes Macs even though people still talk about the battle between Macs and PC's.
post #8 of 83
Sure we can toss in everyone else's tablet numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I agree, a personal computer is a personal computer but to just use the iPad to artificially inflate Apples numbers is ignorant. The iPhone/smart phone can do everything a tablet can yet phones are not included. Are all the other manufactures tablets also included?
post #9 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I agree, a personal computer is a personal computer but to just use the iPad to artificially inflate Apples numbers is ignorant. The iPhone/smart phone can do everything a tablet can yet phones are not included. Are all the other manufactures tablets also included?

What can I do with a netbook that I can't do with an iPad and for the most part faster, especially since I now have Onlive and now have access to MS Office apps, not that I couln't have bought the Apple office apps?
post #10 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a really bad analogy.

Motorcycles do not traditionally "cut into" automobile sales. No one goes out looking for a car and then decides to get a motorcycle instead (or at least very few people do).
.

That is just your opinion. I know many people that dumped cars for motorcycles/scooters to save gas, ease of parking and cheaper. The anology is spot on and completely debunks this ignorant article. Just because something cuts into market share does not lump it into that category. You can not simply include the iPad and not the other manufactures tablets. If you include the iPad then you can not ignore smartphones. Computers are computers, tablets are tablets and smartphones are smartphones. Why do "analysts" have to manipulate things? Apple is by far the largest tablet maker, leave it at that.
post #11 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pridon View Post

What can I do with a netbook that I can't do with an iPad and for the most part faster, especially since I now have Onlive and now have access to MS Office apps, not that I couln't have bought the Apple office apps?

Then what can you not do with a smartphone that you can do with an iPad? My whole point is that just using definition alone, many many things now become PCs and should be included.
post #12 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Then what can you not do with a smartphone that you can do with an iPad? My whole point is that just using definition alone, many many things now become PCs and should be included.

Better include those refrigerators that run Android, then.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #13 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Sure we can toss in everyone else's tablet numbers.

Tablets and smartphones. Problem is then everything is lumped together making the figures muddy at best. Seems like all these analysts are desperate to make apple the number one pc manufacture no matter what.
post #14 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I agree, a personal computer is a personal computer but to just use the iPad to artificially inflate Apples numbers is ignorant. The iPhone/smart phone can do everything a tablet can yet phones are not included. Are all the other manufactures tablets also included?

I agree with you here. A smartphone shouldn't be called a PC categorically because it's already considered a smartphone. But a tablet was considered a PC up until Apple announced the iPad. It got categorically demoted because it didn't use a standard desktop OS (and to a lesser extent didn't try to replicate every port you find on a notebook PC, but that is only needed to back up the primary reason). If the iPad had been released with Mac OS X as is like all previously released Windows tablets I am sure it would be counted with PC sales without question.

Really it comes down to categorization and organization. Do you count every tablet on the market or ones that are a minimum size? Surely we wouldn't count Acer advertising "The world's smallest tablet" with a 1" 16:9 display (if they were foolish enough to do that)? Yet we counted netbooks which couldn't run every app people thought because of the anemic HW and those that could technically run the experience was too poor to make it a good solution. So Apple and others are pushed from the kingdom because they have idealized the OS for the HW just as Apple does for Mac OS X and Macs.

I personally don't care that they don't count the iPad so long as they don't count any other tablet and explain how they determined the classification. Remember when Jobs stated Apple makes more mobile devices than any other CE vendor when he added the Mac notebooks. He qualified it. He explained it. They are certainly mobile, aren't they.

PS: By definition motorcycles are automobiles, but they are not cars. Your argument is like saying Macs are PCs therefore all PCs are Macs. Surely you know that a logical fallacy.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #15 of 83
You gotta love conspiracy theories. They can't be disproved so they must be right.

Nobody who cares about anything important spends a single second worrying about whether tablets are classified as PCs.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #16 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

That is just your opinion. I know many people that dumped cars for motorcycles/scooters to save gas, ease of parking and cheaper. The anology is spot on and completely debunks this ignorant article. Just because something cuts into market share does not lump it into that category. You can not simply include the iPad and not the other manufactures tablets. If you include the iPad then you can not ignore smartphones. Computers are computers, tablets are tablets and smartphones are smartphones. Why do "analysts" have to manipulate things? Apple is by far the largest tablet maker, leave it at that.

The analogy is not "spot on." You chose motorcycles because they're obviously not compared to cars. Why not make an analogy with smaller cars or electric cars, which would be included? It's completely arbitrary.
post #17 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I agree with you here. A smartphone shouldn't be called a PC categorically because it's already considered a smartphone. But a tablet was considered a PC up until Apple announced the iPad. It got categorically demoted because it didn't use a standard desktop OS (and to a lesser extent didn't try to replicate every port you find on a notebook PC, but that is only needed to back up the primary reason). If the iPad had been released with Mac OS X as is like all previously released Windows tablets I am sure it would be counted with PC sales without question.

Really it comes down to categorization and organization. Do you count every tablet on the market or ones that are a minimum size? Surely we wouldn't count Acer advertising "The world's smallest tablet" with a 1" 16:9 display (if they were foolish enough to do that)? Yet we counted netbooks which couldn't run every app people thought because of the anemic HW and those that could technically run the experience was too poor to make it a good solution. So Apple and others are pushed from the kingdom because they have idealized the OS for the HW just as Apple does for Mac OS X and Macs.

I personally don't care that they don't count the iPad so long as they don't count any other tablet and explain how they determined the classification.


PS: By definition motorcycles are automobiles, but they are not cars. Your argument is like saying Macs are PCs therefore all PCs are Macs. Surely you know that a logical fallacy.


So OS? Problem is he phone/tablet OS has merged iOS 5 and Android ICS bringing phones and tablets even closer. A PC is well defined and a physical keyboard seems to be the key. Sure you can hook a keyboard up to a tablet but you do not have too. As I stated before why can a PC be a PC a Tablet a Tablet ect....... Because then Apple is not number one at something and hat hurts people's feelings.

Yes I used automobile loosely but a motorcycle is not a car, they have their own categories and cut into each others market share.
post #18 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

The analogy is not "spot on." You chose motorcycles because they're obviously not compared to cars. Why not make an analogy with smaller cars or electric cars, which would be included? It's completely arbitrary.

Making it spot on. An anology is supposed to show difference, exaggerated difference. As my anology did.
post #19 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

A PC is well defined and a physical keyboard seems to be the key.

And yet prior to the iPad tablets were lumped in with PCs.

It really doesn't matter since tablets weren't as popular this year at CES and Windows has a very small window to make a dent in the tablet market they were in for the past ≈20 years.

If Apple releases an iPad with a Retina Display (265ppi) then it's no longer a tablet or PC market, it's an iPad market, just like the iPod made the MP3 player or PMP market an iPod market from the user's perspective.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #20 of 83
When PC was created in the 80s, it was used mainly to create content. Therefore, we can define a device as PC if it is mainly used to create content. For many users, they seldom use PC to create content. Although iPhone can be used to create content, its main usage is not. In this aspect, iPad is better than iPhone.
post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Making it spot on. An anology is supposed to show difference, exaggerated difference. As my anology did.

i wonder why you are not banned. every single post made by you = garbage, really.

how does it hurt people feelings? fact is macs and iPads are growing in numbers really fast while the others are going down.. even this fact is not important.

what is important is that for pretty much anyone that can afford them, mac = best computer, iPad = best tablet, iPhone = best smartphone. and if you put them together apple = close to perfect ecosystem. Sir, this is what hurts feelings from "people" like you. what are you doing here?
post #22 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Tablets are not PCs. At least not yet. In the future the lines between PC and tablet will blur but right now they are not. My phone does everything my iPad does, is it a PC? Anything to boost numbers. Are all the other manufactures having their tablets counted? They are pretty crappy but I would venture they sold enough to offset Mac sales. Heck, motorcycles cut into automobile sales but that doesnt make a motorcycle a car.

AI just posted an article about 12% of enterprise laptop users converting strictly to an iPad. So what does that mean? It means that a user used a different type of computer. So as far as I'm concerned, yes and iPad for a good segment of consumers replaces their need for a conventional computer.

Your motorcycle analogy is total spin. I ride a motorcycle every day. A motorcycle (iPad) AND an automobile (desktop/laptop) are BOTH "motor vehicles" (PC's). Each one on their own can do some things better than the other, but neither can replace the other.

Are we paying attention now?
post #23 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I agree with you here. A smartphone shouldn't be called a PC categorically because it's already considered a smartphone. But a tablet was considered a PC up until Apple announced the iPad. It got categorically demoted because it didn't use a standard desktop OS (and to a lesser extent didn't try to replicate every port you find on a notebook PC, but that is only needed to back up the primary reason). If the iPad had been released with Mac OS X as is like all previously released Windows tablets I am sure it would be counted with PC sales without question.

Really it comes down to categorization and organization. Do you count every tablet on the market or ones that are a minimum size? Surely we wouldn't count Acer advertising "The world's smallest tablet" with a 1" 16:9 display (if they were foolish enough to do that)? Yet we counted netbooks which couldn't run every app people thought because of the anemic HW and those that could technically run the experience was too poor to make it a good solution. So Apple and others are pushed from the kingdom because they have idealized the OS for the HW just as Apple does for Mac OS X and Macs.

I personally don't care that they don't count the iPad so long as they don't count any other tablet and explain how they determined the classification. Remember when Jobs stated Apple makes more mobile devices than any other CE vendor when he added the Mac notebooks. He qualified it. He explained it. They are certainly mobile, aren't they.

PS: By definition motorcycles are automobiles, but they are not cars. Your argument is like saying Macs are PCs therefore all PCs are Macs. Surely you know that a logical fallacy.

Here is the definitive answer, IMHO...

"Tastes great, less filling" as the Miller Lite commercials say. Although it doesn't have the calories or same alcohol content as full fledged beers, light beer is still considered beer and is not broken out into a different category than traditional beer.

Tablets essentially have the same ingredients as a PC but maybe not as hearty or substantial as a traditional PC but I would certainly consider a tablet a PC also, as in...PC Lite!

Enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Wde7j9W8NNo

and here's the follow-up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKDfa...eature=related

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #24 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Tablets are not PCs. At least not yet. In the future the lines between PC and tablet will blur but right now they are not. My phone does everything my iPad does, is it a PC? Anything to boost numbers. Are all the other manufactures having their tablets counted? They are pretty crappy but I would venture they sold enough to offset Mac sales. Heck, motorcycles cut into automobile sales but that doesnt make a motorcycle a car.

Tablets are not PC's, smartphones are not PC's, Netbooks are not PC's, underpowered Laptops are not PC's, underpowered desktops are not PC's, and well, Macs are definitely not PC's. Or are they? Of course they are. They are all computers with processors and they are all personal.

I think we can sub categorize until we are blue in the face. They are all 'units', or 'devices'. Computing devices at that. But I don't see why a 7" tablet is any less a pc than a 10" Atom Netbook.
post #25 of 83
The first problem is that you put netbooks and faster in the same sentence.

The second problem is the fact that iPad sales are growing netbook sales are nearly gone.

The reason for that answers your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pridon View Post

What can I do with a netbook that I can't do with an iPad and for the most part faster, especially since I now have Onlive and now have access to MS Office apps, not that I couln't have bought the Apple office apps?
post #26 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Tablets are not PC's, smartphones are not PC's, Netbooks are not PC's, underpowered Laptops are not PC's, underpowered desktops are not PC's, and well, Macs are definitely not PC's. Or are they? Of course they are. They are all computers with processors and they are all personal.

I think we can sub categorize until we are blue in the face. They are all 'units', or 'devices'. Computing devices at that. But I don't see why a 7" tablet is any less a pc than a 10" Atom Netbook.

Steve Ballmer called the iPad a "PC" in a different form factor. If anyone can define the "PC," I'd think it was Microsoft, particularly an old guy who has seen the history of computing.

Interestingly, Steve Jobs didn't call the iPad a PC, he referred to it as a "post-PC" device, a term that does not flatter Microsoft, Intel and the conventional PC makers.

However, this isn't really an argument about bullshit semantics of what a "PC" is. The article is talking about who is making the most general computing devices. So no, a refrigerator that runs apps is not really a PC, but tablets people buy to replace the functionality of a conventional laptop is.

There is pretty obviously only one reason Gartner and IDG suddenly stopped calling tablets a PC the moment non-Windows tablets first appeared, yet kept calling toy-level netbooks PCs.

There is also only one reason why the AI trolls are trying to invent arguments as to why the iPad should be gerrymandered out of the market share numbers that reflect who is making the most computers.

HP already admitted that Apple would be taking its spot shortly, so its not even a controversial idea.

Unless you just really hate Apple and resent its success.
post #27 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

.... Because then Apple is not number one at something and hat hurts people's feelings.

You seems to be the only one round here who's feelings have been hurt!
post #28 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Interestingly, Steve Jobs didn't call the iPad a PC, he referred to it as a "post-PC" device, a term that does not flatter Microsoft, Intel and the conventional PC makers.

That was what Jobs did. Defining yourself as being the same as everyone else wasn't going to sell more iPads the way that saying the Mac wasn't a PC sold more Mac personal computers. Note that Apple did advertise the Apple II as a personal computer.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pridon View Post

What can I do with a netbook that I can't do with an iPad and for the most part faster, especially since I now have Onlive and now have access to MS Office apps, not that I couln't have bought the Apple office apps?

You can type much much much faster on a Netbook. Outside of that.... Ummm.... Watch flash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Tablets are not PC's, smartphones are not PC's, Netbooks are not PC's, underpowered Laptops are not PC's, underpowered desktops are not PC's, and well, Macs are definitely not PC's. Or are they? Of course they are. They are all computers with processors and they are all personal.

I think we can sub categorize until we are blue in the face. They are all 'units', or 'devices'. Computing devices at that. But I don't see why a 7" tablet is any less a pc than a 10" Atom Netbook.

Good post. Yeah- to argue about it is pretty nerdy- because at the end of the day, who cares? But there is no doubt iPads consume the laptop market. My parents don't have two laptops like they used to- they now have a laptop and an iPad.

IMO- an iMac + iPad is the best combo ever.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Tablets are not PCs. At least not yet. In the future the lines between PC and tablet will blur but right now they are not. My phone does everything my iPad does, is it a PC? Anything to boost numbers. Are all the other manufactures having their tablets counted? They are pretty crappy but I would venture they sold enough to offset Mac sales. Heck, motorcycles cut into automobile sales but that doesnt make a motorcycle a car.

Tablets are pretty clearly personal computers. They have a CPU, work with a keyboard, have a pointing device (touch screen), they run general purpose computer applications written in standard programming languages, they have sound, etc.

Tablets have the same screen form factor as net books and they've clearly stolen a huge number of sales from netbooks. I think a very good argument can be made by they're the same market segment.

If you include the phone (which is not the same market segment, because nobody forgoes a computer to buy a phone), then you have to say that Apple's already the largest TV seller in the world, because I can watch anything on my phone and iPad screens that I can on a TV screen.

Your analogies are broken, just like your logic.
post #31 of 83
I bought an iPad. I used it a lot. So much, that I didn't have any more use for my MBP. I sold my MBP. Now I have my iPad, and I use it for almost all of my computing needs. It's a COMPUTER. If you don't want to count it as one, you're just playing ostrich. Closing your eyes doesn't make the bad guys go away.
post #32 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

i wonder why you are not banned. every single post made by you = garbage, really.

how does it hurt people feelings? fact is macs and iPads are growing in numbers really fast while the others are going down.. even this fact is not important.

what is important is that for pretty much anyone that can afford them, mac = best computer, iPad = best tablet, iPhone = best smartphone. and if you put them together apple = close to perfect ecosystem. Sir, this is what hurts feelings from "people" like you. what are you doing here?

Having an opinion does not equal ban. But based on your post I'm not surprised you do not know that. Unlike real life you can not take your ball and go home when someone does not agree with you.
post #33 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Tablets are not PCs.

/facepalm

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

I bought an iPad. I used it a lot. So much, that I didn't have any more use for my MBP. I sold my MBP. Now I have my iPad, and I use it for almost all of my computing needs. It's a COMPUTER. If you don't want to count it as one, you're just playing ostrich. Closing your eyes doesn't make the bad guys go away.

No one is denying that. The issue at hand is that an iPhone/smartphone can do exactly what your iPad can do and more, yet it isn't a PC. Why must a tablet be a PC? Why can it not be a tablet?
post #35 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

/facepalm

Thumbs up on your contribution to the discussion. I guess if you can not form an opinion at least you can face palm.
post #36 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post


If you include the phone (which is not the same market segment, because nobody forgoes a computer to buy a phone).

I do not recall your interview, I assume you interviewed the whole world Since you are speaking for it. Making broad assumptions only make you look foolish and completely negates anything else you wrote, which is why it isn't even worth discussing.
post #37 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

You seems to be the only one round here who's feelings have been hurt!

Clearly, having a different opinion automatically equals hurt feelings. Do you read what you write?
post #38 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Better include those refrigerators that run Android, then.

I'm sure if Apple had the number one selling refrigerator that runs iOS we would.
post #39 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


Your motorcycle analogy is total spin. I ride a motorcycle every day. A motorcycle (iPad) AND an automobile (desktop/laptop) are BOTH "motor vehicles" (PC's). Each one on their own can do some things better than the other, but neither can replace the other.

Are we paying attention now?

My exact point. Thank you, same thing about a tablet and a PC.

Yes a car can replace a motorcycle and a motorcycle can replace a car. Maybe not in your situation but in some situations. Same as a tablet and PC. I can not play BF3 on my iPad nor can I take my desktop on a plane. For the most part they are two distinct categories and in some situations one can replace the other but not all. Not the majority. Many own both because they have too or choose too.
post #40 of 83
I have noticed Daniel skips the term post-PC device when it suits him.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iPad may make Apple world's largest PC maker in holiday Q4 2011