or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to hold 'iPad 3' & iOS 5.1 event in early February
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to hold 'iPad 3' & iOS 5.1 event in early February

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 
A new rumor suggests Apple is planning to hold an earlier-than-expected special event in early February to introduce its third-generation iPad running iOS 5.1.

Japanese website Macotakara reported on Tuesday that the unveiling of a so-called "iPad 3" along with iOS 5.1 will occur in February, citing both an Asian supplier and a source in the U.S. Despite a rumored early February introduction, the report claims that the new iPad would still launch in early March, much like the iPad 2 in 2011.

Last year, the iPad 2 was introduced in a media event held on March 2, and the device went on sale just 9 days later on March 11. But Tuesday's rumor would suggest that Apple could have a longer wait time in between the unveiling of a third-generation iPad and its sale date.

That delay would be at least in part because Chinese factories will be shut down to celebrate that country's New Year. This year's festival is earlier than usual, and runs from Jan. 23 through 28.

Recent reports have suggested that Foxconn and Pegatron will begin shipping the first "iPad 3" units in early March. Rumors leading up to the anticipated iPad unveiling have generally pointed toward a March launch of the device, but a monthlong wait time between the unveiling and sale of a new iPad would be a change from Apple's approach in 2011.

Rumors have generally agreed that the next iPad will support a new high-resolution, Apple-branded "Retina Display" akin to the screens currently found on the iPhone and iPod touch. There have also been claims that Apple will continue to sell the current-generation iPad 2 at a reduced price.




Macotakara has a mixed track record with Apple rumors in the past, accurately reporting that Apple would introduce its second-gen iPad in March and push out the release of the fifth-generation iPhone until much later in the year, but also incorrectly claiming that Apple would release new MacBook Airs with high-speed 400MBps flash memory and that a fifth-generation iPhone would feature an aluminum back.

An anticipated iPad 3 event is not to be confused with a confirmed education-related event that Apple is set to hold on Thursday in New York City. That media briefing is expected to relate to digital publishing and e-books, and will not showcase any new hardware.
post #2 of 68
Yeah, let's just kill all potential sales of the iPad 2 for an entire month; sounds like a good idea.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #3 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, let's just kill all potential sales of the iPad 2 for an entire month; sounds like a good idea.

Well, if it were correct, this rumor might be a confirmation that iPad 3 will have a retina display and Apple wants to give developers time to update apps.
post #4 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, let's just kill all potential sales of the iPad 2 for an entire month; sounds like a good idea.

Not if it's the iPad 2S. Chances are, they will sell the iPad 2 for a price competitive to the Amazon Fire.
post #5 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, let's just kill all potential sales of the iPad 2 for an entire month; sounds like a good idea.

Well, if they keep the iPad 2 at a lower price akin to what they do with the iPhone, maybe that lower price will kick in just after the event. Would make sense to give developers time to create the high resolution images for the retina. So the experience will be amazing from day one.

Mac

Edit : Maybe something new not heard of yet that implies giving time to developers to adapt to.
post #6 of 68
I'd believe it.

"And the price drop on iPad 2 to $399 happens today."
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #7 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, let's just kill all potential sales of the iPad 2 for an entire month; sounds like a good idea.

Not if they drop the price.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #8 of 68
Whey would they need an event for iOS 5.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage976 View Post

Not if it's the iPad 2S. Chances are, they will sell the iPad 2 for a price competitive to the Amazon Fire.

Why would Apple drop the price to be competitive with a tablet with less than half the display area, and with much less HW and OS/SW features?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd believe it.

"And the price drop on iPad 2 to $399 happens today."

Right, now THIS is a legitimate reason to announce it a month early.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #10 of 68
If this one is true, and the textbook publishing app happens tomorrow, then Tim Cook will have more to say about Apple's momentum at his next public event. And so the revolution begins.

Irresistible textbooks, that's what it will be about.
post #11 of 68
I don't think Apple will release a new iPad before WWDC. This year is the best time for Apple to shift their iPad release cycle from March to July. Beside, everyone else gave up on tablet so there is no hurry.

I expect the next iPad and iPod touch to be released together shortly after WWDC with an announcement at WWDC. iPhone to stick to Oct schedule.
post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I don't think Apple will release a new iPad before WWDC. This year is the best time for Apple to shift their iPad release cycle from March to July. Beside, everyone else gave up on tablet so there is no hurry.

I expect the next iPad and iPod touch to be released together shortly after WWDC with an announcement at WWDC. iPhone to stick to Oct schedule.

No way! Putting the iPad (and now the iPod Touch) out just a season before the iPhone caused a strain which is why having them about 6 months apart from each other is best. Ill bet you a $25 iTunes Store gift card.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #13 of 68
i hope the rumors are true and the ipad 3 with a sharper display is a no brainer I mean if they don't put the retina display on the ipad 3 might as well stick to the ipad 2.
post #14 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No way! Putting the iPad (and now the iPod Touch) out just a season before the iPhone caused a strain which is why having them about 6 months apart from each other is best. Ill bet you a $25 iTunes Store gift card.

You're on dude

This is how analysts (Kramer) get their info by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0umYspP3_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiUjb2HRxEY
post #15 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by damage976 View Post

Not if it's the iPad 2S. Chances are, they will sell the iPad 2 for a price competitive to the Amazon Fire.

Fuck the Kindle Fire.

Apple will never drop the price of the iPad 2 close to $199.

It might drop to $399, and that would still be twice the price of the Kindle Fire. Cheap people still aren't going to buy an iPad 2 for $399, and Apple shouldn't take into consideration these cheap people when pricing the iPad.
post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Your on dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiUjb2HRxEY

Just a small nitpick. It's You're............
post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just a small nitpick. It's You're............

This happens when you depend too much on autocorrections. I thought I typed (youre) and the autocorrect should have corrected it to (you're)

Thanks anyway
post #18 of 68
As for the iPad 3, maybe it will be more expensive.

I mean, there's nothing else out there that would even be close to it, if it has that so-called retina display.

Maybe the iPad 3 will start at $599 or even $699, while the price of the iPad 2 drops slightly. Apple should concentrate on targeting customers who demand the best and are willing to pay for it.
post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This happens when you depend too much on autocorrections. I thought I typed (youre) and the autocorrect should have corrected it to (you're)

Thanks anyway

I hear you. I shut off the autocorrect when I'm typing on the iPad, as I find it kind of annoying.
post #20 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, let's just kill all potential sales of the iPad 2 for an entire month; sounds like a good idea.

My low-tech wife has already heard the rumors of an iPad 3 and wants to upgrade her iPad 2 when the new one comes out! She never keeps up with this stuff! :-)

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why would Apple drop the price to be competitive with a tablet with less than half the display area, and with much less HW and OS/SW features?

Because people are buying it.
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Because people are buying it.

But no where near the sales of the iPad. the iPad is a game changer...the Kindle Fire is not......

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Because people are buying it.

And those people aren't really iPad customers.

Maybe Apple could release a cheap 5", 6", 7" iPod Touch or something for those kind of people, as a slightly bigger iPod Touch would destroy the Kindle Fire. I bought a $200 iPod Touch as a christmas present for somebody recently. I didn't even consider getting a Kindle Fire, no way Jose.
post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And those people aren't really iPad customers.

Maybe Apple could release a cheap 5", 6", 7" iPod Touch or something for those kind of people, as a slightly bigger iPod Touch would destroy the Kindle Fire. I bought a $200 iPod Touch as a christmas present for somebody recently. I didn't even consider a Kindle Fire, no way Jose.

I don't think Apple will relase a product with those screen sizes. They have a great game changing product so i think they will stick with the formula that makes it so succesful. I don't think Kindle Fire buyers are really iPad buyers..........Thye aren't doing this in the phone segment (so far) and don't see them doing in the tablet segment

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, if it were correct, this rumor might be a confirmation that iPad 3 will have a retina display and Apple wants to give developers time to update apps.

I can't remember Apple ever having done this in the past. I think most people understand that it takes time for developers to release software updates. The updated iPad 3 hardware will be more than enough to get us all queuing up again.

Personally I wish they would bring back an annual Mac only event in Jan/Feb. The annual MacWorld keynote really helped to lift the post Christmas gloom every year.
post #26 of 68
This again. It's the same rumor bouncing around the blogosphere. Just because you hear it from different sources doesn't make it any more real. The only source that matters is Apple. It ain't real til Tim Cook says, "Good morning, thank you for joining us today..."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #27 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This again. It's the same rumor bouncing around the blogosphere. Just because you hear it from different sources doesn't make it any more real. The only source that matters is Apple. It ain't real til Tim Cook says, "Good morning, thank you for joining us today..."

Very well said!

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #28 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I can't remember Apple ever having done this in the past. I think most people understand that it takes time for developers to release software updates. The updated iPad 3 hardware will be more than enough to get us all queuing up again.

There are already a few, select developers making games for the iPad 3. I don't know that for a fact, but it's a good guess. When the iPad 2 came out, I remember that Real Racing HD was real quick on the market. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Real Racing "Retina" available pretty soon after the iPad 3 gets released.
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No way! Putting the iPad (and now the iPod Touch) out just a season before the iPhone caused a strain which is why having them about 6 months apart from each other is best. Ill bet you a $25 iTunes Store gift card.

I agree, keeping the iPhone in September/October and the iPad in March/April keeps them from competing with each other and the iPad in 1Q or early 2Q gives them a boost in sales in what would otherwise likely be a lower performing time span.

I think the rumor of an event in early Feb probably does more for sales than the actual event that early (assuming a March launch). Either way, I'm ready for it.
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I can't remember Apple ever having done this in the past. I think most people understand that it takes time for developers to release software updates. The updated iPad 3 hardware will be more than enough to get us all queuing up again.

Personally I wish they would bring back an annual Mac only event in Jan/Feb. The annual MacWorld keynote really helped to lift the post Christmas gloom every year.

iPhone shown in Jan released in Jun.
iPhone SDK shown /released in Mar Apps allowed in Jun.
iPad shown in Jan released in Apr.
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This again. It's the same rumor bouncing around the blogosphere. Just because you hear it from different sources doesn't make it any more real. The only source that matters is Apple. It ain't real til Tim Cook says, "Good morning, thank you for joining us today..."

Exactly. Too bad so many take these rumors to be fact.
post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I don't think Apple will relase a product with those screen sizes. They have a great game changing product so i think they will stick with the formula that makes it so succesful. ...

I think you are probably right, but to play devil's advocate ...

The iPod is not exactly either a successful or game changing product at the moment. A larger "gaming" iPod touch might be an option.

The people who think big screens are cool, are also those that are young and/or male, and heavily invested in mobile gaming.
post #33 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This again. It's the same rumor bouncing around the blogosphere. Just because you hear it from different sources doesn't make it any more real. The only source that matters is Apple. It ain't real til Tim Cook says, "Good morning, thank you for joining us today..."

Or at the end of the rollout, they say they have a special message from a good friend and pull up the video screen for a few shots of Steve saying "One more thing.." from past events, then they surprise everyone w/something new
post #34 of 68
I'm all for a bigger iPod Touch.

If the iPad would have an SD card reader or some other type of card reader with big storage, AND get rid of the 64 GB and 32 GB models, they would sell more units. There would only be two models to make. The WiFi and the cell phone connected ones. Some people wouldn't need to put off making a purchase because they couldn't afford the higher priced models yet knew the lower capacity ones wouldn't suffice. Quicker sales means more overall revenue than waiting for sales of the higher priced models to happen.

With Apples purchase of that flash storage design firm in Israel, they could come up with a proprietary card storage system if they wanted to earn money with that company. Apple could sell the cards.

Isn't it about time that a plug in memory card carried 300 GB of data? Two years ago for a brief time Sandisc had an article about a 300 GB card that was supposed to go on sale that summer. The article was removed and the product didn't come out. What happened?
post #35 of 68
Please please please let iOS 5.1 fix the "Unknown error 0xE800007F" code in iTunes for wifi syncing. It's annoying to say the least- but understandable with all the updates they issued the same day.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Fuck the Kindle Fire.

Apple will never drop the price of the iPad 2 close to $199.

It might drop to $399, and that would still be twice the price of the Kindle Fire. Cheap people still aren't going to buy an iPad 2 for $399, and Apple shouldn't take into consideration these cheap people when pricing the iPad.

How much is the iPhone 3GS again? As the manufacturing process increases, the overall cost decreases. It all depends if the next iPad has a new form factor. If not, and no retooling is needed, I'll bet the iPad 2 goes on sale for at least half the current price.
post #37 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by damage976 View Post

How much is the iPhone 3GS again? As the manufacturing process increases, the overall cost decreases. It all depends if the next iPad has a new form factor. If not, and no retooling is needed, I'll bet the iPad 2 goes on sale for at least half the current price.

I think the iPhone 3GS sells for about $450 out of contract.

The iPod Touch is $200 with 1/4 the display area and half the capacity of the entry level iPad.

The question is why would Apple lose money per unit sold when it doesn't have to? They didn't drop the iPod pricing because some company was putting out an inferior model that cost less, and the Kindle Fire is clearly inferior to the iPad. It can't even register 3 inputs at once.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I'm all for a bigger iPod Touch.

If the iPad would have an SD card reader or some other type of card reader with big storage, AND get rid of the 64 GB and 32 GB models, they would sell more units. There would only be two models to make. The WiFi and the cell phone connected ones. Some people wouldn't need to put off making a purchase because they couldn't afford the higher priced models yet knew the lower capacity ones wouldn't suffice. Quicker sales means more overall revenue than waiting for sales of the higher priced models to happen.

With Apples purchase of that flash storage design firm in Israel, they could come up with a proprietary card storage system if they wanted to earn money with that company. Apple could sell the cards.

Isn't it about time that a plug in memory card carried 300 GB of data? Two years ago for a brief time Sandisc had an article about a 300 GB card that was supposed to go on sale that summer. The article was removed and the product didn't come out. What happened?

I wish I could raise Unicorns and fly them across the country. Zero chance an iPad get an SD Card reader. The 11" MBAs don't have it- why would an iPad? No incentive, nor does iOS even allow you to access it. The 32 and 64gb is where they have higher margins- why drop those?

Wanting something to happen and something actually happening are two very different things. Apple could release a 5-7" iPod Touch/iPad Mini, but they will never have a SD Card. iMacs didn't have them until 2009, and only because of photography needs/ease of use. They want you to use the iPad or iPhone as your camera. That all gears towards it.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, now THIS is a legitimate reason to announce it a month early.

Ouch....Monster in Law just bought a 16GB iPad2 on the weekend...guess she should of waited...
post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Zero chance an iPad get an SD Card reader.

It has a SD reader with a dongle but it only reads camera files. It does not have SD card write capabilities though because there is technically no user access to a file system.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to hold 'iPad 3' & iOS 5.1 event in early February