or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 5.1 beta 3 hints Apple is planning deep Facebook integration

iOS 5.1 beta 3 hints Apple is planning deep Facebook integration

post #1 of 79
Evidence that Apple is building system-wide iPhone and iPad integration with Facebook, like it already does with Twitter, has been found in the latest beta of iOS 5.1.

Digging through the recently released third beta of iOS 5.1, iMore discovered evidence that Apple could add deep Facebook integration into a future operating system update. In one screenshot shown for the iOS Contacts application, there is an option to enter a person's Facebook user name right below their Twitter account.

System-wide Twitter integration was one of the most-touted features of iOS 5, which was publicly released last October. After its release, signups for Twitter grew by 25 percent.

Deep integration with the social networking service allows users to quickly post Web links from Safari or pictures saved in the Photos application to Twitter. Presumably, future iOS integration with Facebook would offer similar functionality, making it easier for users to share information with their friends on the popular website.

The pre-release build of iOS 5.1 also reportedly includes references to new iPad models named "J1AP" and "J2AP." The references corroborate with rumored code-names of "J1" and "J2" that were first reported last November, when it was said Apple was secretly working on two new iPad models.

The third beta of iOS 5.1 was provided to developers last week. It is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, and fourth- and third-generation iPod touch.
post #2 of 79
Well good for sales hopefully but I can live without this feature personally
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #3 of 79
Anyone want to bet with me when all the social networking nonsense will fade out?

2015, maybe?
post #4 of 79
I see we are still stuck with the horrible Address book interface.

Glad to see Apple REALLY working hard to improve iOS 5.1 with meaningful crap like "deeper FaceBook integration".

BFD.

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #5 of 79
I wonder what the AP after J1 and J2 could stand for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Anyone want to bet with me when all the social networking nonsense will fade out?

2015, maybe?

Social networking will become more ingrained over time, not less.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #6 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Presumably, Facebook integration with Facebook would offer similar functionality, making it easier for users to share information with their friends on the popular website.

I know it is just a typo, but it falls into the funny category.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #8 of 79
Quote:

2015, maybe?

That far off?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #9 of 79
Quote:

There is a risk (I resisted saying 'hope' there) it becomes badly tainted by nefarious organizations and scams and goes the way of AOL or .... perhaps evolves into something less f%^%^*^%&*g annoying?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #10 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I know it is just a typo, but it falls into the funny category.

Wouldn't that be a seriously dangerous endless feedback loop that could bring down the entire internet?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #11 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That far off?

Well, you know me. Pessimist all the way. I actually thought that was a pretty optimistic date by my standards

Quote:

There is a risk (I resisted saying 'hope' there)

I was going to say; SURELY you mean hope!
post #12 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

I see we are still stuck with the horrible Address book interface. ...

I don't mind the interface, but I'd like to see them make it a bit more functional.

So many of the iOS apps or widgets have only a subset of the functionality of the desktop version which is itself really just a placeholder. Address book is one of them.

Very minimal functionality at best even on the desktop, and the mobile version doesn't even have half of that.
post #13 of 79
Well, "Tweet" context menu item here and there already irritates me. Why should I see it if I never gonna use it? Now "Facebook"?
post #14 of 79
Quote:

Anyone want to bet with me when all the social networking nonsense will fade out? ...

I don't see them fading out at all.

For better or worse, Facebook & Twitter are merely modern, mobile extensions of email and text chats, and forums on websites, which are themselves newer versions of the BBS or IRC, which come out of previous incarnations like Telex and telegrams etc.

People have a need to chatter at each other and while the methods may get faster and more immediate, the need for such chatter will always be with us as long as we are human IMO.
post #15 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Well, "Tweet" context menu item here and there already irritates me. Why should I see it if I never gonna use it? Now "Facebook"?

I do agree that Apple should allow you to remove these from the system if you aren't going to use them. They could even make it automated by not showing up if you haven't input any Twitter or FB account info in Settings.

post #16 of 79
Quote:

seems like, and that's gonna be darn funny...
not!

Hi Apple, how about opt in/out for Twitter, Facebook, and all those related context menus, huh?! How you "Like" me now?
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
post #17 of 79
Quote:

2015, maybe?

Around that time, I think. It's just a product of SMS being so limited. Now we have messaging-over-IP services like iMessage they can begin to incorporate features of social networking. Integrating this stuff is a great strategy for Apple though. They can integrate Facebook but provide similar features as extensions to their existing apps, like messaging, contacts, etc, and slowly migrate people away from Facebook. Facebook will just become a website for people without smartphones to see what smartphone users are doing and interact with them. It'll be a second-rate experience.
post #18 of 79
Where do I sign up for total Facebook disintegration?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 79
On thing 5.1 (at least on the iPhone) needs to fix is the inability to address an iMessage to a person who uses an email address from within iMessage. You have to go to contacts and create a new iMessage. This is a work around and prevents you from using more than one email address if addressing to multiple people.

post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Where do I sign up for total Facebook disintegration?

I've tried that several times after I initially joined and tried to leave but it seems near impossible to achieve. One accidental click and it comes back just as you left it ... no deletion possible. It's like a twilight zone episode! Also now I see distant mad and insane relatives I have leaving unbelievably dumb comments on Facebook pages of people I know well saying things like they just burned the toast and I know I'm responsible for the connection.. aaaggghhh.

Could someone please write an app that goes back through all the connections and connections of connections you started and delete them all as if you never joined ... ? George Bailey in reverse?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #21 of 79
Quote:

2015, maybe?

That's what the buggy and whip makers said about the horseless carriage......
post #22 of 79
Quote:

Horrible? Seriously? What doesn't it do that you need it to do?
post #23 of 79
Quote:

I've tried that several times after I initially joined and tried to leave but it seems near impossible to achieve. One accidental click and it comes back just as you left it ... no deletion possible. It's like a twilight zone episode! Also now I see distant mad and insane relatives I have leaving unbelievably dumb comments on Facebook pages of people I know well saying things like they just burned the toast and I know I'm responsible for the connection.. aaaggghhh.

Could someone please write an app that goes back through all the connections and connections of connections you started and delete them all as if you never joined ... ? George Bailey in reverse?

If you delete your account and then not interact with it in any way for 14 days it will permanently delete.
PS: It's funny that Google suggestions brings up 'delete facebook' as the first item after just writing 'dele'.

post #24 of 79
Quote:

If you delete your account and then not interact with it in any way for 14 days it will permanently delete.

Really .. that's new, I went six months and it came right back after a click.

I still want that George Bailey app though

OMG you are right about Google ... that is naughty! LMAO
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #25 of 79
Quote:

Glad to see Apple REALLY working hard to improve iOS 5.1 with meaningful crap like "deeper FaceBook integration".

BFD.

facebook is the new address book
post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Horrible? Seriously? What doesn't it do that you need it to do?

It is seriously a pain to use, it's overly simplistic, however I now use Bento to control it. You can set them to mutually update in real time and of course Bento is on iOS too.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #27 of 79
Quote:

2015, maybe?

I don't use Twitter, I don't have Google+, I do have a Facebook account, but rarely log on (about once a month).

However, even I see the trend is social networking use is accelerating, not decreasing. And it's not going to stop any time in the near future. Why? Because people just looove sharing the mundane details of their lives. I came to this realization when standing in line one day last spring; the person beside me was checking their Facebook on their phone. The status updates on her wall could've been the same updates as what was on my page. Or yours. It doesn't matter.

It's also why Facebook is more popular than Google+. Who (among these people who love posting statuses several times daily) wants to limit the so-called "audience" of who they're reaching?
post #28 of 79
Quote:

2015, maybe?

Not I.

It will evolve, maybe even change quite a bit. But, fade out? No chance.

Mind you - I do wonder about an economy that puts so much value on companies with products that suck up people's time in not necessarily productive ways.
post #29 of 79
Quote:

I agree; it's bad enough that Words With Friends asks me if I want to log into Facebook every frickin' time I open the app... No NO NO!

But yeah, as long as it's not intrusive and it's just there for people who *do* want it, fine. Goddess knows the Facebook app itself is a pile of rubble, so simpler posting to FB for those who want to do it will be a good thing.
post #30 of 79
Quote:

PS: It's funny that Google suggestions brings up 'delete facebook' as the first item after just writing 'dele'.

Permanently deleted or permanently disabled and hidden? I bet it's the latter.

Yes, it's quite hilarious that a search for "dele" leads first to delete FB. Google might as well make that a fixture on their home page.
post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Not I.

It will evolve, maybe even change quite a bit. But, fade out? No chance.

Hopefully the evolving will be for the better. Currently the underlying motive for the likes of FaceBook and Google to offer them is for their own ends not the needs of the users. Therein IMHO lies the reason for the annoying traits they exhibit.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #32 of 79
Quote:

Sounds like you (and your friends) just need to go in and change your security settings. You control who writes on your wall (ditto your friends) and what you see in your newsfeed, not your distant mad and insane relatives. I've got it set so no one can write on mine, and I've unsubscribed to status updates from a few Tea-nutty relatives myself; it's easy to do.
post #33 of 79
Quote:

By ingrained it will become less pronounced and therefore less of a novelty, like email. However, it's height of fame will dissipate over time.
post #34 of 79
What does an image of Address Book from Mac OS X Lion have to do with iOS 5.1? The Address Book has also had the ability to record MSN/Windows Live user IDs for ages, but didn't correspond with support for it in iChat.

I must be missing something. I'm going to re-read the article

Update: LOL, I re-read the article... I just realized that it's an iPad screen. The large screen fooled me. Wow, iOS & Mac OS are really merging!
post #35 of 79
I wonder if the advent of Google+ finally got Facebook to allow Apple access to their API? What better way to fight off competitors growth then to have it built into the most popular mobile operating system.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

I don't use Twitter, I don't have Google+, I do have a Facebook account, but rarely log on (about once a month).

However, even I see the trend is social networking use is accelerating, not decreasing. And it's not going to stop any time in the near future. Why? Because people just looove sharing the mundane details of their lives. I came to this realization when standing in line one day last spring; the person beside me was checking their Facebook on their phone. The status updates on her wall could've been the same updates as what was on my page. Or yours. It doesn't matter.

It's also why Facebook is more popular than Google+. Who (among these people who love posting statuses several times daily) wants to limit the so-called "audience" of who they're reaching?

You probably have summed it up. A relative of mine with an IQ hovering around 75 updates every 30 minutes. 'Going to make a sandwich.' 'Ate sandwich, it was good'. 'Going to wash car ... ' and I'm sure somewhere in that magnificent brain, believes someone gives a shit. It is fulfilling some deep down craving to connect that must exist at the primeval level of a lot of homo sapiens that are failing to gain the required level of endorphins secreted when engaged in other ways of connecting they are missing out on.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzc View Post

What does an image of Address Book from Mac OS X Lion have to do with iOS 5.1? The Address Book has also had the ability to record MSN/Windows Live user IDs for ages, but didn't correspond with support for it in iChat.

I must be missing something. I'm going to re-read the article

In the upper left corner of the image you can read the word iPad, correct?

Update I see you found it.

post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

That's what the buggy and whip makers said about the horseless carriage......

They had social networking back then too?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #39 of 79
Quote:

2015, maybe?

Quote:

BFD.

Quote:

I agree with Sol...

I believe we are starting to see a new way of exploiting web content -- without the need to actually visit a web site -- or even worse perform a web search to display a list of web sites with incumbent ads.

Siri's does this with her ability to actually do things for you -- rather than display a list of choices from which to select.

Search and Display options is so 1990s Alta Vista!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #40 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Sounds like you (and your friends) just need to go in and change your security settings. You control who writes on your wall (ditto your friends) and what you see in your newsfeed, not your distant mad and insane relatives. I've got it set so no one can write on mine, and I've unsubscribed to status updates from a few Tea-nutty relatives myself; it's easy to do.

Oh I did that for sure, but the insidious monster uses info it gleans from you to suggest to others they may like to friend this person or that person, the connection was originally you. If these new bonds are forged directly they remain even if you leave and so your ex is now friended to your new wife's sister ...
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 5.1 beta 3 hints Apple is planning deep Facebook integration