or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › ████ (sopa)

████ (sopa)

post #1 of 23
Are you for or against it? Are you doing anything today to show solidarity and protest it along with Wikipedia, Google, and other websites?

I've "censored" my blog, updated my social media profile pics, and will be posting "censored" posts throughout the day.

I also plan to call my congressmen.

In the words of Thomas Paine: "██ ████ █████ ████ ███ ███ ███████ ██████ ████ █████ ████ ███ █████ ████ ██████████; ███ ██ ██ ███████ ███ ████ ██ ███████████ █ █████████ ████ ████ █████ ██ ███████"

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #2 of 23
I want it to pass.

Then I want them to be as forceful with blocking as their wildest imagination will let them.

And then when Google, Facebook, YouTube, and millions of other sites shut down, the apathetic masses will actually do something with their lives for once.

Heck, we might even see a radical, forcible restructuring of Congress; people being dragged out of the building and put on trial. Then get some people to replace them that will actually follow the laws of this country.

Wishful thinking, I know.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #3 of 23
In my opinion, a lot of Internet startups operate on a shoestring budget. If regulations impose too many compliance costs, such as the need to inspect everything on your site, these businesses will no longer be able to start.

Intellectual property owners have finally realised that copy protection does not work. But now they have shifted strategy to legal means. While they have a right to charge people who steal their product, they shouldn't impose blanked laws that effect people who have never done anything. Innocent until proven guilty?

I think they should forget about copy protection and legal lobbying, and take the iTunes route: high quality service with low price that makes a profit on volume.
post #4 of 23
I already wrote my congressmen outlining my opposition.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #5 of 23
Our current copyright laws and attempts to protect intellectual property already go well beyond what is necessary. Even minor shows and stars earn millions and that isn't to say they don't deserve it but that there is no loss from this or damages. Since exposure is part of earning the money, it likely brings a return rather than the reverse.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #6 of 23
Dear Mr. <Congressman>,

It is unfortunate that you appear to be receiving poor advice from your legislative staff regarding SOPA & PIPA. Having heard you speak and seen your positions on other issues, I know that you are too intelligent to intentionally support legislation that could severely stifle innovation and destroy the free exchange of ideas. I also know that you have too much integrity to allow lobbyists with obvious agendas that do not reflect the will of the people to influence your decision.

I recommend that you side with the great innovators of this century on the SOPA & PIPA issue: Google, Wikipedia, eBay, Yahoo!, Facebook, Kickstarter, Reddit, Twitter, and countless more. With the next generation of tech savvy voters, you really do not want to find yourself on the wrong side of this debate.

Best regards from a concerned citizen,
BR

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Dear Mr. <Congressman>,

It is unfortunate that you appear to be receiving poor advice from your legislative staff regarding SOPA & PIPA. Having heard you speak and seen your positions on other issues, I know that you are too intelligent to intentionally support legislation that could severely stifle innovation and destroy the free exchange of ideas. I also know that you have too much integrity to allow lobbyists with obvious agendas that do not reflect the will of the people to influence your decision

Are there any congresspeople so brain-dead as to fail to grasp the obvious sarcasm here?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Are there any congresspeople so brain-dead as to fail to grasp the obvious sarcasm here?

Hah, I'm willing to be there are at least a few out there. Anyway, I read somewhere it was more tactful to at least pretend these congressfolks have a shred of decency--rather than pointing out they weighed the facts and ended up with the wrong conclusion, it's nicer to inform them they may be missing some information.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #9 of 23
What I am for is preventing and or punishing those who steal someone elses stuff. I thought you were for property rights laws jazz?

I have some work in the Scottish National Galleries shops. I make money from owning the work. It's not someone elses to steal. Period.

There may be things I don't like in sopa (I don't know, because I've not read it- just seen a lame TED talk on it), but the attitude of "I can just copy something and get it for free", needs to be taken behind a barn and killed with a blunt axe.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

What I am for is preventing and or punishing those who steal someone elses stuff. I thought you were for property rights laws jazz?

I have some work in the Scottish National Galleries shops. I make money from owning the work. It's not someone elses to steal. Period.

There may be things I don't like in sopa (I don't know, because I've not read it- just seen a lame TED talk on it), but the attitude of "I can just copy something and get it for free", needs to be taken behind a barn and killed with a blunt axe.

Of course, if passed, this will only cover the US. It won't affect China and other SE Asian countries, where the huge majority of bootlegged/pirated material originates. Also, it is probably biased towards protecting large media corporations, for example the major news networks, Hollywood studios and major music recording companies. If an individual's, or small business's copyrighted work is ripped off.... will this law provide any protection? Probably not.
post #11 of 23
I thought the Occupy movement was the lamest kind of protest about a very serious issue I'd ever seen.

Then I saw Hands 'steal' Jazz's thread post to protest SOPA...
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #12 of 23
Intellectual property, Hands.

SOPA and Questioning Intellectual Property

post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

If you don't respect intellectual property rights then you don't respect property rights. If you can't get your head around it, don't worry, the law has.

Tell Apple that intellectual property rights don't matter. Tell songwriters, photographers etc. You're blatantly stealing and yet you wail on here at the government stealing through taxes.
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Of course, if passed, this will only cover the US. It won't affect China and other SE Asian countries, where the huge majority of bootlegged/pirated material originates. Also, it is probably biased towards protecting large media corporations, for example the major news networks, Hollywood studios and major music recording companies. If an individual's, or small business's copyrighted work is ripped off.... will this law provide any protection? Probably not.

I'm sure many crooked people will try to keep stealing, but sopa would mean the US government could close sites all over the world.
post #16 of 23
Quote:

Mr. Sandon,

I am the legal representative for Mr. Jazzguru. It has been brought to our attention that you have taken and replicated a piece of his intellectual property. Using our own methods of computing the value for the loss of present and future earnings related to that post, we submit that you owe damages of $4.7 billion dollars. We will happily settle this matter with you for only $3.8 billion dollars.

post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Mr. Sandon,

I am the legal representative for Mr. Jazzguru. It has been brought to our attention that you have taken and replicated a piece of his intellectual property. Using our own methods of computing the value for the loss of present and future earnings related to that post, we submit that you owe damages of $4.7 billion dollars. We will happily settle this matter with you for only $3.8 billion dollars.

Failure to comply will result in confiscation of your assets and imprisonment. If you resist, you will be met with violent force. Have a nice day.

post #18 of 23

post #19 of 23
Clearly SOPA & PIPA weren't even needed. The Feds just took down Megaupload. Bullshit.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ted-shuttered/

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #20 of 23
I'm sincerely glad that people from both sides of PoliticalOutsider can come together on something like this.

post #21 of 23
Quote:

Clearly SOPA & PIPA weren't even needed. The Feds just took down Megaupload. Bullshit.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ted-shuttered/

Did Megaupload ever try to stop these thieves? Probably not. They probably encouraged it. Dispicable. I hope they all get what they deserve.
post #22 of 23
Quote:

Did Megaupload ever try to stop these thieves? Probably not. They probably encouraged it. Dispicable. I hope they all get what they deserve.

They complied with all DMCA requests.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #23 of 23
Quote:

They complied with all DMCA requests.

If people are using your site to illegally steal you shouldn't wait for the police to turn up each time and then look away. Hosting criminals for profit is immoral. Hopefully this action will spur on others to start doing the right thing. I can't say I've got much faith in the public though. These criminal acts are often welcome even by those who claim that stealing is against their religion, as witnessed here.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › ████ (sopa)