or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 2012 U.S. Elections

2012 U.S. Elections - Page 5

post #161 of 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

If Romney wins we are all in trouble especially the Middle Class and Poor and Seniors.He is an elitist and has no warmth or compassion for anyone except the rich and corporations.He is a double talker and a flip flopper.Poor choice for the GOP Party to have him run in 2012.

The poor and middle class need a strong economy, which is what Romney is focused on and will be focused on.  Your comment on him lacking compassion and warmth is unsupported and subjective.  Also, "GOP" stands for "Grand Old Party," so "GOP Party" is redundant.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #162 of 184

Obama thinks regular use of executive orders is ok...now:

Quote:

For Mr. Obama, that meeting was a turning point. As a senator and presidential candidate, he had criticized George W. Bush for flouting the role of Congress. And during his first two years in the White House, when Democrats controlled Congress, Mr. Obama largely worked through the legislative process to achieve his domestic policy goals.

But increasingly in recent months, the administration has been seeking ways to act without Congress. Branding its unilateral efforts “We Can’t Wait,” a slogan that aides said Mr. Obama coined at that strategy meeting, the White House has rolled out dozens of new policies — on creating jobs for veterans, preventing drug shortages, raising fuel economy standards, curbing domestic violence and more.

Each time, Mr. Obama has emphasized the fact that he is bypassing lawmakers. When he announced a cut in refinancing fees for federally insured mortgages last month, for example, he said: “If Congress refuses to act, I’ve said that I’ll continue to do everything in my power to act without them.”

I'm sure many of his supporters agree. Because this time it's different. Obama is justified in using executive orders.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #163 of 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Obama thinks regular use of executive orders is ok...now:

I'm sure many of his supporters agree. Because this time it's different. Obama is justified in using executive orders.

Whether he is or not is immaterial.  It's all political crap.  He wants to run against a "do nothing Congress."   That's his only hope of winning reelection.  

post #164 of 184

Ron Paul? Is he still in the race?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #165 of 184

I hope so.  I'd rather see an Obama-Paul debate than an Obama-Romney one.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #166 of 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I hope so.  I'd rather see an Obama-Paul debate than an Obama-Romney one.

Paul has many good ideas and is a man of principle, but I don't see him being a great debater.   

post #167 of 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Paul has many good ideas and is a man of principle, but I don't see him being a great debater.

I actually have not seen much of Ron Paul. A little, not a lot. I've read a fair amount of his writings. He definitely does better in writing from what I've seen.

Some folks are like that. They can make their case better in writing than in a live verbal debate.

Some folks are just very eloquent at reading off a reflective piece of glass but are otherwise apparently quite dumb.

Furthermore, in this superficial age of visuals. Paul stands no chance against the bare-chested Obama striding strongly on the beach. It's sad, but a reality.

Edited by MJ1970 - 4/26/12 at 10:05am

post #168 of 184

Quote:

I actually have not seen much of Ron Paul. A little, not a lot. I've read a fair amount of his writings. He definitely does better in writing from what I've seen.

Some folks are like that. They can make their case better in writing than in a live verbal debate.

Some folks are just very eloquent at reading off a reflective piece of glass but are otherwise apparently quite dumb.

Furthermore, in this superficial age of visuals. Paul stands no chance against the bare-chested Obama striding strongly on the beach. It's sad, but a reality.

I agree.  At this point Paul is REALLY the invisible man.  As for verbal vs. written communication, I think you're right about that...both with Paul and with people in general.  Also agreed on the Obama point.  Actually, a related issue came up today on a talk show I was listening to (don't remember which...I was flipping through).  The topic was how Romney and Obama (as well as Palin, Rubio) benefit from their looks....at least somewhat...while guys like Mitch Daniels and Chris Christie certainly don't.   Seems pretty obvious to me that it happens (whether it should or not).  I believe there are studies showing how attractive people usually end up being more successful. 

post #169 of 184

post #170 of 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Again, we agree on the lack of media coverage.   That said, some of these people amuse me.  They are what I call the PaulTards, with their little cardboard signs and such.  I see them (signs) around my house at times.  They are right next to the INFOWARS! signs (literally).   lol.gif

In all seriousness, my question is why all this enthusiasm doesn't translate into votes.  Paul is arguably doing worse than he was in 2008.  It can't all be the media.  As for me, I've said many times I like a lot of what Ron Paul has to say.  I have great respect for his views on liberty, freedom and limited government.  Where I just can't support him is on foreign policy and his quest to end the Fed, which I think is unrealistic.  

post #171 of 184

post #172 of 184

I can't disagree with that article more.  

post #173 of 184

post #174 of 184
Quote:

Mitt Romney's strange statement

That's not strange.  It's an appeal to Ron Paul supporters.  And it's a bit of a warning as well:  Don't muck this up by going kamikaze.  Your guy can't win no matter how many delegates he finagles at the state conventions.  All you'll do is weaken the nominee.  

post #175 of 184
Quote:

That's not strange.  It's an appeal to Ron Paul supporters.  And it's a bit of a warning as well:  Don't muck this up by going kamikaze.  Your guy can't win no matter how many delegates he finagles at the state conventions.  All you'll do is weaken the nominee.  

A warning? Mafia-style? lol.gif

Anyway, while Romney is going to get the nomination, he's not going to win the election. And that's probably a good thing...long-term.

post #176 of 184
Quote:

A warning? Mafia-style? lol.gif

Anyway, while Romney is going to get the nomination, he's not going to win the election. And that's probably a good thing...long-term.

No, not mafia style.  Obviously.  As for not winning the election, I've love to know what you base that on.  It's certainly not a good thing, because we'll have Barry Soetoro for another 4 years.  

post #177 of 184
Quote:

Obviously.  As for not winning the election, I've love to know what you base that on.  

I base is on the fact that I don't think he's going to win. Plus Team Obama will cheat, probably successfully. I suspect Romney will cheat also, but less successfully.

Quote:

It's certainly not a good thing, because we'll have Barry Soetoro for another 4 years.  

It's not certainly not. It would depend on other things. First, the President doesn't exist in isolation. He must interact with Congress. What could work well for the country is a Republican controlled Congress and Obama as President.

post #178 of 184
Quote:

I base is on the fact that I don't think he's going to win. Plus Team Obama will cheat, probably successfully. I suspect Romney will cheat also, but less successfully.

It's not certainly not. It would depend on other things. First, the President doesn't exist in isolation. He must interact with Congress. What could work well for the country is a Republican controlled Congress and Obama as President.

1.  Got it.  I just don't think that even cheating can save Obama.  He's painted himself into the left corner.  Moderates and independents are bailing on him in droves.  He's got African-Americans, single women, gays, liberals and leftists left. That's it.  The real key to the election is Reagan Democrats and center-right independents.  These groups pulled the level for Obama last time.  Additionally, turnout will be key.  You're not going to see the kind of turnout in key Obama demographics this time.  Meanwhile, the conservative desire to get rid of Obama is overwhelming.  Even center-right moderates are chomping at the bit to vote him out.  Other than electoral politics, it also depends on the economy or possibly an uncontrollable geopolitical event.  

2.  An Obama Presidency is bad, period.  Granted, it would be less bad if the GOP controlled Congress, but it would still be bad.  

post #179 of 184
Quote:

1.  Got it.  I just don't think that even cheating can save Obama.  He's painted himself into the left corner.  Moderates and independents are bailing on him in droves.  He's got African-Americans, single women, gays, liberals and leftists left. That's it.  The real key to the election is Reagan Democrats and center-right independents.  These groups pulled the level for Obama last time.  Additionally, turnout will be key.  You're not going to see the kind of turnout in key Obama demographics this time.  Meanwhile, the conservative desire to get rid of Obama is overwhelming.  Even center-right moderates are chomping at the bit to vote him out.  Other than electoral politics, it also depends on the economy or possibly an uncontrollable geopolitical event.  

2.  An Obama Presidency is bad, period.  Granted, it would be less bad if the GOP controlled Congress, but it would still be bad.  

1. Maybe. Probably not though. I'm betting there are enough Republicans and conservatives that don't trust Romney (a Massachusetts Republican) it will cost him the election. Now I could be wrong in that he could "pivot" again back to his "moderate" with "progressive" ideas approach as he did in MA. This could pick up independents but piss off even more conservatives. But now we're back to the vanishingly small difference between him and Obama becoming no real difference and a president we have no idea what he's actually going to do (forget what he says he's going to do) and a (probably) Republican-controlled Congress more likely to rubber stamp his plans because he has an "R" next to his name where they would have resisted Obama's (because he has a "D" next to his name.)

2. You must always look at the president in context. Arguable a Romney presidency with a Republican could be worse than an Obama Presidency with a Republican Congress.

post #180 of 184
Quote:

1. Maybe. Probably not though. I'm betting there are enough Republicans and conservatives that don't trust Romney (a Massachusetts Republican) it will cost him the election. Now I could be wrong in that he could "pivot" again back to his "moderate" with "progressive" ideas approach as he did in MA. This could pick up independents but piss off even more conservatives. But now we're back to the vanishingly small difference between him and Obama becoming no real difference and a president we have no idea what he's actually going to do (forget what he says he's going to do) and a (probably) Republican-controlled Congress more likely to rubber stamp his plans because he has an "R" next to his name where they would have resisted Obama's (because he has a "D" next to his name.)

2. You must always look at the president in context. Arguable a Romney presidency with a Republican could be worse than an Obama Presidency with a Republican Congress.

1.  The polls really don't support that contention.  Conservatives are behind Romney because we are desperate to defeat Obama.  As for them being nearly the same, that's simply false no matter how many times you repeat it.  Romney will at least get us on track to get our fiscal house in order.  

2.  Spoken like a true Paul supporter.  I simply don't share that view at all.  Obama has been an absolute disaster.  He's doing plenty of damage as the head of the executive branch, even though the GOP controls the House.  

post #181 of 184
Quote:

1.  The polls really don't support that contention.  Conservatives are behind Romney because we are desperate to defeat Obama.  As for them being nearly the same, that's simply false no matter how many times you repeat it.  Romney will at least get us on track to get our fiscal house in order.  

2.  Spoken like a true Paul supporter.  I simply don't share that view at all.  Obama has been an absolute disaster.  He's doing plenty of damage as the head of the executive branch, even though the GOP controls the House.  

1. Ahhh...but you repeating that it is false is valid. :-/

2. Of course you don't. Doesn't mean I'm wrong of course.

post #182 of 184

Romney wants to add $2.1 trillion in defense spending while cutting taxes even more.  He wants to start a war with Iran.  Are you kidding me?  Fiscal house in order?  

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #183 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Romney wants to add $2.1 trillion in defense spending

Supposedly. Then again, defense is one of the government's only constitutionally mandated responsibilities.  

Quote:
 while cutting taxes even more.

"Even more."  lol.gif   Once again you demonstrate the idiotic belief that we're not taxed enough, and that revenue is a zero sum equation.  

Quote:
  He wants to start a war with Iran.

No, he wants to confront Iran from a position of strength.  Peace Through Strength prevents war, it doesn't start it.  The best way to start a war is to do what Obama is doing...portraying the U.S. as weak.  

Quote:
Are you kidding me?  Fiscal house in order?

Not at all.  Romney has a history of being fiscally competent.  Obama has a track record of fiscal insanity.  

post #184 of 184

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 2012 U.S. Elections