or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.7.3 Build 11D46 to developers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.7.3 Build 11D46 to developers

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Apple delivered a new build of Mac OS X to developers, focused on iCloud Document Storage, Spotlight, Safari, and Mail, iCal and Address Book features.

The new gigabyte-sized delta version of the 11D46 build replaces last week's 11D42, three other builds released in December, and the initial developer build in November, all of which were designated as Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3.

The focus of these builds hasn't changed, underscoring the complexity of Apple's shift to iCloud, and the support for it required in both its new features open to third party developers and in basic messaging apps including Mail, iCal and Address Book.




While Apple already supports iCloud document features between its iPhone and iPad versions of iWork apps, its Mac version of iWork hasn't yet rolled out support for seamless cross-platform document editing.

Once publicly released, the new 10.7.3 build will extend official Mac support for Catalan, Croatian, Greek, Hebrew, Romanian, Slovak, Thai and Ukrainian languages. The last update Apple released for Mac OS X Lion was 10.7.2 in October.

The new 10.3.7 build also incorporates fixes related to smart cards, directory services authentication, and Apple's homegrown Windows file sharing, which the company just began using in Mac OS X Lion after dumping SAMBA as the code it uses for working with Windows PCs over the network. Additionally, it includes drivers for new AMD (ATI) "Tahiti" graphics cards.

New Mac OS X Server build

The new build is accompanied by a parallel Mac OS X Lion Server 10.7.3 build that focuses on Apple's Address Book Server, Calendar & Contacts Server, WebDAV Sharing and Directory Utility, as well as tweaking the user interface of the Server Application related to Sharing, Web and VPN services.

The new server build also includes support for the Profile Manager (used to deploy and manage Macs and iOS devices), Webmail, adds iPad editing support in its Wiki Server and fixes elements of the Xsan file system Apple now ships for free within $50 Server app available in the Mac App Store.
post #2 of 39
I'd give up all that and more just to have some of the glaring bugs and idiocies which Lion introduced into the Finder corrected.
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

I'd give up all that and more just to have some of the glaring bugs and idiocies which Lion introduced into the Finder corrected.

Such as?

The only thing I can think of would be the idiotic Cover Flow-esque sorting debacle.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Such as?

The only thing I can think of would be the idiotic Cover Flow-esque sorting debacle.

According to the blogs, Lion is less then ready for prime time for a multitude of reasons. I'm still holding off going there but would like to upgrade soon.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

According to the blogs, Lion is less then ready for prime time for a multitude of reasons.

Been using it since DP1. Other than Safari, it has been pretty dang ready since even then.

My only issue? Get 10.7.3 out and fix this stupid Wi-Fi problem already!

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #6 of 39
We need more graphic drivers!
post #7 of 39
I just want to be able to set whether my windows reopen on startup once and have my preference saved.

Also: would like to be able to turn off automatic termination for Preview and TextEdit.

And I can't use any multitouch gestures when dragging icons. I'd also like to be able to more fully customize my gestures.

I think that's it. Oh, and the input menu sometimes forgets to hide input source name when I log in.

And an option for rounded corners on the bottom of windows or really anytime they'd be obscuring content within the window (i.e. QuickTime).

Speaking of QuickTime, I don't want my video players to act like fullscreen apps when I fullscreen my video and have everything switch to the next available desktop. Thank goodness VLC doesn't do this.

So OK there is a handful of little design missteps that are really getting on my nerves.
post #8 of 39
....and the graphics flicker all over the screen when I drag an attachment out of Mail to the desktop.

....and the new Exposé is a huge step backwards in terms of usability, particularly when using multiple monitors. This issue alone has almost made me revert back to SL.
post #9 of 39
I'm quite happy with Lion and think its more refined, more attractive, more feature rich (gestures and iCloud alone are amazing), and more secure.

I switched and haven't looked back. Unless you use ppc programs you can't replace with something equivilant or better, I don't understand any hesitation.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #10 of 39
If I can't turn off auto-termination and versions then I'm not interested. It's absolutely maddening to launch an application, just to have it immediately quit when I switch back to the Finder to drag a document to its icon on the dock.
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

We need more graphic drivers!

Apple doesn't write graphics drivers that they don't currently sell in their product line up.*

When Apple offers the 7000 series AMD Radeon it will release the driver set.

* They obviously have drivers for prior devices in previously releases.
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Such as?

Ever since I upgraded to Lion, this has been horribly broken (or at least inconsistent, a problem I NEVER had under 10.6). They need to differentiate between the 'Always Open in..." and "Browse" options more clearly. I'm sure others will mention their own pet peeves, but this one bugs me because I have to constantly correct for it in List view. On a related topic, has Apple ever tried using Cover Flow in combination with Column view? I've heard that it was in 10.5 betas years ago, but I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't been worked into a final release...
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus View Post

I just want to be able to set whether my windows reopen on startup once and have my preference saved.

Also: would like to be able to turn off automatic termination for Preview and TextEdit.

And I can't use any multitouch gestures when dragging icons. I'd also like to be able to more fully customize my gestures.

I think that's it. Oh, and the input menu sometimes forgets to hide input source name when I log in.

And an option for rounded corners on the bottom of windows or really anytime they'd be obscuring content within the window (i.e. QuickTime).

Speaking of QuickTime, I don't want my video players to act like fullscreen apps when I fullscreen my video and have everything switch to the next available desktop. Thank goodness VLC doesn't do this.

So OK there is a handful of little design missteps that are really getting on my nerves.

Ditto on the re-opening windows thing, it drives me crazy to uncheck that box every time I shut my Mac off.
post #14 of 39
And let's not forget to include an option for scroll bar arrows.
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQuila View Post

And let's not forget to include an option for scroll bar arrows.

I also don't understand this. Why do we need arrows? Particularly with gestures on a touchpad or magic mouse? You can use your keyboard to click left right up or down if you just want to go over or up 1 click. And if you want to drag fast, you just click it and drag it. Why do we need to have a single click arrow?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

According to the blogs, Lion is less then ready for prime time for a multitude of reasons.

Funny, I've been running it since it was first publicly available and have found it the fastest and most polished version of Mac OSX to date - by a wide margin.

How sad for you that your allowing "blogs" to influence you in such an idiotic way.

Quote:
I'm still holding off going there but would like to upgrade soon.

Download it and install to an external drive or a secondary partition on your hard drive and see for yourself. I have a few machines in organizations I support that are still on SL - and it's very annoying to have to deal with them now that I'm used to many of the little tweaks and enhancements in Lion.
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMF View Post

Ditto on the re-opening windows thing, it drives me crazy to uncheck that box every time I shut my Mac off.

huh - to me the greatest feature of Lion is when I restart my Mac, everything comes back to exactly how I had it. Theres no penalty to shut down. And since transporting your laptop shutdown instead of sleeping is the only way to truly secure it if you need and use filevault, it's far less of a chore than before.

I mean, if you have text highlighted in a document your state is restored to that level of detail on reboot automatically - it's not "just" reopening windows/documents! It's pretty freaking sweet and I'm so used to it I now curse Windows 7 whenever I have to reboot. Especially since I typically have to reboot Windows far more often than my Mac
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I also don't understand this. Why do we need arrows? Particularly with gestures on a touchpad or magic mouse?

No kidding. I'm ready to bring my Magic Trackpad into work and try to get these drivers working so I can have two finger scrolling on my Windows 7 box. Once you get gestures down (or a scrollwheel on a mouse) scrollbars are superfluous. I don't miss 'em in the least.
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

huh - to me the greatest feature of Lion is when I restart my Mac, everything comes back to exactly how I had it. Theres no penalty to shut down. And since transporting your laptop shutdown instead of sleeping is the only way to truly secure it if you need and use filevault, it's far less of a chore than before.

I mean, if you have text highlighted in a document your state is restored to that level of detail on reboot automatically - it's not "just" reopening windows/documents! It's pretty freaking sweet and I'm so used to it I now curse Windows 7 whenever I have to reboot. Especially since I typically have to reboot Windows far more often than my Mac

The only time I've been glad that this is in Lion is for the few times that I've had to do a hard reboot if my machine locks up (2007 MBP Core 2 Duo), but other than those rare instances, I can't get used to it. 20+ years of Windows and 10+ on the Mac and I still close windows when shutting down. Some people use it, but I have my ways (However non-sensical they may be ).
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Such as?

The only thing I can think of would be the idiotic Cover Flow-esque sorting debacle.

Such as returning scroll bar arrows to the user interface. Create an option to turn them on and off if you must, but lack of scroll arrows have been the most maddening change from Snow Leopard to Lion for this user.
post #21 of 39
Do not mock the people who think it is not ready or have read that it is not ready: it is not ready. Or, put another way, it's a step back in readiness from Snow Leopard, which was the best OS release in the history of OS releases.

Here are just some of the issues:

Time Machine backups stopped working for some people, especially when done over your LAN to a remote hard drive. Just ... stopped ... working ... no matter what was done. I was immune for a while and then BAM I cannot get them to work, or they take 1 hour instead of 2 minutes.

Safari is a huge memory leaking sieve of an app. I think this applies on all platforms though.

Lion is configured differently in terms of paging/swapping, the way it uses virtual memory in general. The side effect of this is my 4Gb of RAM computer now swaps when previously it didn't at all. But what I suspected and now have (sort of) confirmed is: it doesn't matter if you have an SSD. Without an SSD you get the spinny ball of death routinely, with SSD you can swap quite a bit and everything works just fine. This leads me to believe that Apple developed Lion on computers with SSD leaving behind the loyal customers who have old fashioned HDD instead: namely about 99% of us.

Restoring apps after reboot is an illusion: applications cannot run between reboots, but they fake it really well. But only if you have an SSD. If you have an HDD the restore takes so long, your reboot process is suddenly a 5 or 10 minute long ordeal as the OS pages everything back into memory slowly. It restores a screen shot and only when the app is finally loaded can you interact with it. Again, this is a strategy that works great for the iPhone/iPad which are SSD based computers, and also OK if you have a new SSD-based Mac.

So there's a lot to like about Lion but if you think the performance is better than Snow Leopard, you must have bought a new computer with an SSD drive. Otherwise it is infuriatingly slower after the upgrade, and somewhat less reliable.

If I could have my cake and eat it, Apple would redesign Lion so that it has one set of features and configuration parameters for HDD systems and another for SSD systems. That will never happen, so if you want to upgrade to Lion plan on upgrading your hard drive to an SSD. That is the single best impovement BY FAR that you can make for your computer nowadays. I am still in shock at the performance gain from doing that.
post #22 of 39
Where is 10.6.9 with basic iCloud sync for us Core Duo Macbook users? There were rumors of this back in Aug '11 - http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...w_leopard.html

Anyone know if this has been canned?
post #23 of 39
My only problem with Lion is the touch gestures for scroll bars in the iTunes store.

When using 2 fingers to scroll horizontally I find it too easy to accidentally go back rather than scroll left or right.

After reading similar posts on apple's forums I've changed my preferences to 3 or four fingers, but I'm sure it makes the gestures inconsistent with Safari (I'm typing this on a PC, so it's from memory).

If anyone else has any suggestions it would be appreciated.
post #24 of 39
in my case, Lion works just fine.

Versions is truly useful, quicktime is nice (mplayer and vlc too), iTunes in full screen is great, I like mac os x maintain what apps and documents were opened after a reboot. Launchpad is easy and fast to use.

it's just trying to remove all useless fuss and tedious management of computers and it's what I want.
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeberry View Post

Do not mock the people who think it is not ready or have read that it is not ready: it is not ready. Or, put another way, it's a step back in readiness from Snow Leopard, which was the best OS release in the history of OS releases.

no worry with time machine. (I use an apple time capsule).

-
just put a faster hdd . and yes, to relaunch adobe cs+office can take a time.. sigh. I use lion on a macpro (from 2009), without ssd, and it's all fine.


-
yes, I disagree : Snow Leopard was NOT that great. It was fine, yes, but Lion bring truly better tools.


-
okay you want bugs ? some javascript website can forced webkit(safari) to allocate all the memory, forcing a crash of the rendering engine and huge swapping before that.

I got that the last month.. ho my.

so yeah, it's not perfect. Perfection is the goal.

but in the meantime, ho my god.. I would never go back to Snow Leopard (or Leopard or Tiger or Panther or Cheetah)
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Been using it since DP1. Other than Safari, it has been pretty dang ready since even then.

My only issue? Get 10.7.3 out and fix this stupid Wi-Fi problem already!

What is the wi-fi problem? Didn't hear about that and not seen any myself. My only comments are the Finder is slow at times and I can wait two minutes for Safari to launch. Mail seems to have improved but for months my Apple Mail was a very hit or miss thing when it came to the SMTP side of things. That seems to have settled down now.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomu View Post

no worry with time machine. (I use an apple time capsule).

-
just put a faster hdd . and yes, to relaunch adobe cs+office can take a time.. sigh. I use lion on a macpro (from 2009), without ssd, and it's all fine.


-
yes, I disagree : Snow Leopard was NOT that great. It was fine, yes, but Lion bring truly better tools.


-
okay you want bugs ? some javascript website can forced webkit(safari) to allocate all the memory, forcing a crash of the rendering engine and huge swapping before that.

I got that the last month.. ho my.

so yeah, it's not perfect. Perfection is the goal.

but in the meantime, ho my god.. I would never go back to Snow Leopard (or Leopard or Tiger or Panther or Cheetah)


Re the last part ... I have to agree, I always get a shock when I boot up a previous OS X after a few months of a new one (I keep clone of entire HD from previous installs for a year or so after an upgrade of that magnitude). All my fond memories fade quickly once I realize so many features I now take for granted are not there.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Such as returning scroll bar arrows to the user interface. Create an option to turn them on and off if you must, but lack of scroll arrows have been the most maddening change from Snow Leopard to Lion for this user.

you can turn scroll bars on but arrows?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #29 of 39
1) Launch pad configuration
I use a control panel to control the app display in LP. Without this, I find LP to be an unusable mess. Any word on adjustments here?

2) Mission Control (with a second monitor)
Before Lion, I could use spaces to move windows between spaces AND monitors. I'd love to hear that Apple is addressing this seemingly artificial limitation.

3) Full Screen Apps (especially with multiple monitors)
Full screen apps are a great idea, but why the funky behaviors? For example, creating a new message in Mail will force you into a modal state that prevent the user from moving the new message window from centered at the bottom of the screen. Why? I often need to reference some info in another message. Because of this approach, I need to close and save my message, reference the info, then open the message again. I uses to just slide the window over a bit.

Also, full screen apps make the second monitor useless. I'd like to use fullscreen apps, and be able to drag windows to the second screen.
post #30 of 39
Is this a Lion problem?

When I download a rar or zip or whatever and decompress it, sometimes the files will be locked and I need to open them individually. A message will pop up telling me that I downloaded an application from the internet. Really awful when this happens to a manga I want to read.

EDIT: Andysol and DocNo42, please kiss Apple's ass elsewhere you blind mindless apologists. And learn how to edit your fucking posts.
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus View Post

Is this a Lion problem?

When I download a rar or zip or whatever and decompress it, sometimes the files will be locked and I need to open them individually. A message will pop up telling me that I downloaded an application from the internet. Really awful when this happens to a manga I want to read.

The former sounds like permission issues but the latter is for your protection and very sensible.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The former sounds like permission issues but the latter is for your protection and very sensible.

It is very sensible, when it's actually an application I'm opening and not an image I want to open in Preview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keda View Post

1) Launch pad configuration
I use a control panel to control the app display in LP. Without this, I find LP to be an unusable mess. Any word on adjustments here?

Why would you ever use launchpad when you've had spotlight since Tiger?
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus View Post

Why would you ever use launchpad when you've had spotlight since Tiger?

A swipe and two clicks is easier than typing.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #34 of 39
Just a quickie.

Please fix the dual screen / full screen apps issue. I didn't go out and pay good money for a second screen to have it rendered useless by using an app in full screen mode.
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus View Post

It is very sensible, when it's actually an application I'm opening and not an image I want to open in Preview.

I saw you specified a 'rar or zip' sorry I missed the whatever ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeberry View Post

Do not mock the people who think it is not ready or have read that it is not ready: it is not ready. Or, put another way, it's a step back in readiness from Snow Leopard, which was the best OS release in the history of OS releases.

Here are just some of the issues:

Time Machine backups stopped working for some people, especially when done over your LAN to a remote hard drive. Just ... stopped ... working ... no matter what was done. I was immune for a while and then BAM I cannot get them to work, or they take 1 hour instead of 2 minutes.

Safari is a huge memory leaking sieve of an app. I think this applies on all platforms though.

Lion is configured differently in terms of paging/swapping, the way it uses virtual memory in general. The side effect of this is my 4Gb of RAM computer now swaps when previously it didn't at all. But what I suspected and now have (sort of) confirmed is: it doesn't matter if you have an SSD. Without an SSD you get the spinny ball of death routinely, with SSD you can swap quite a bit and everything works just fine. This leads me to believe that Apple developed Lion on computers with SSD leaving behind the loyal customers who have old fashioned HDD instead: namely about 99% of us.

Restoring apps after reboot is an illusion: applications cannot run between reboots, but they fake it really well. But only if you have an SSD. If you have an HDD the restore takes so long, your reboot process is suddenly a 5 or 10 minute long ordeal as the OS pages everything back into memory slowly. It restores a screen shot and only when the app is finally loaded can you interact with it. Again, this is a strategy that works great for the iPhone/iPad which are SSD based computers, and also OK if you have a new SSD-based Mac.

So there's a lot to like about Lion but if you think the performance is better than Snow Leopard, you must have bought a new computer with an SSD drive. Otherwise it is infuriatingly slower after the upgrade, and somewhat less reliable.

If I could have my cake and eat it, Apple would redesign Lion so that it has one set of features and configuration parameters for HDD systems and another for SSD systems. That will never happen, so if you want to upgrade to Lion plan on upgrading your hard drive to an SSD. That is the single best impovement BY FAR that you can make for your computer nowadays. I am still in shock at the performance gain from doing that.

Backup issues are not apples fault. It's the manufacturer. I had a seagate NAS raid 1 backup that worked fine on snow leopard. Switched to lion- it didn't work because they didn't do an update (and it still hasn't been updated to my knowledge although they've admitted the problem). I went out and bought a time capsule. Zero issues.

There isn't some hdd/sdd conspiracy. Example- they just made new MacBook pros with lion and hdds. Not to mention- I have an hdd and it all works fine. We also have a MacBook air and the difference isn't night and day. Just about par for the course. Ive experienced no slowdown switching to SL to Lion on approx 8 computers I've upgraded. You might want to check your hd to make sure it's not dying.

Lastly- if you have heavy intensive programs that take forever to load- uncheck the box to relaunch and your reboot will be just like before. It's an "option" that you didnt even have before! For those that just have mail and iTunes open and restart, it takes no more time. That's why the choice is there. Just because it's not better for you doesn't mean it's not better for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus View Post

EDIT: Andysol and DocNo42, please kiss Apple's ass elsewhere you blind mindless apologists. And learn how to edit your fucking posts.

If you followed the forum regularly, you'd know im not an applogist and complain about plenty (I.e.- just yesterday I complained about an iTunes/iOS error bug I've been having about wireless syncing.) I also disagree with plenty of other things.

People who complain now are likely the same that complained about SL when it came out. Get over your old paranoid ways. I know some issues are legit, but overall and as a whole- its monumentally a better OS.

EDIT: Momus- Try not to be a bigger asshole than your previous post. Also- what exactly did I post that needed editing?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus View Post


Why would you ever use launchpad when you've had spotlight since Tiger?

Because LaunchPad is much faster, as others here mentioned.

The caveat here is that the interface was poop until I could gain control over what apps appeared. Now I literally have my apps at my finger tips. A quick pinch on my trackpad is all it takes. I am also a heavy spotlight user, but LP (tweaked to my liking) runs circles around spotlight as a launcher.
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeberry View Post

If I could have my cake and eat it, Apple would redesign Lion so that it has one set of features and configuration parameters for HDD systems and another for SSD systems. That will never happen, so if you want to upgrade to Lion plan on upgrading your hard drive to an SSD. That is the single best impovement BY FAR that you can make for your computer nowadays. I am still in shock at the performance gain from doing that.

Yes you are right. It is SSDs that have enabled Apple to blur the distinction between loaded and unloaded apps. The changes in Lion's app model merely reflect changes in hardware. It doesn't quite work on older systems. But there is an argument to be made that if you use the OS that your computer came with you can't go wrong.
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What is the wi-fi problem? Didn't hear about that and not seen any myself.

Consider yourself lucky. For me ... it just drops the signal. Sometimes it reacquires it right away ... other times it can be a few minutes. Most of the time it is only annoying but when I'm trying to download a rather large file it quickly goes beyond annoyance to cursing Apple.

During those times when it takes several minutes to reconnect, I can open up my old laptop with 10.4 and hav no problem. Tiger doesn't drop the connection. So now I'v started downloading the large files with my laptop and then transferring them to the new one. Not very efficient but neither is loosing the connection and having to start the download over again.

HA! Just now I hit the submit button for this reply and got the "you're not connected to the internet screen" ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.7.3 Build 11D46 to developers