or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM co-founders step down as chairmen, CEOs

RIM co-founders step down as chairmen, CEOs

post #1 of 67
Research in Motion co-founders Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie have resigned from their posts as co-chairmen of the board and co-Chief Executive Officers and are to be replaced by former Chief Operating Officer Thorsten Heins as CEO and Barbara Stymiest as independent chair.

The Waterloo, Ont., smartphone maker made the announcement on Sunday, noting that the shuffle is effective immediately.

Lazaridis will transition to a Vice Chair role on the board, as well as Chair of its new Innovation Committee. Balsillie will remain a member of the board,

“There comes a time in the growth of every successful company when the founders recognize the need to pass the baton to new leadership. Jim and I went to the Board and told them that we thought that time was now," Lazaridis said.

"With BlackBerry 7 now out, PlayBook 2.0 shipping in February and BlackBerry 10 expected to ship later this year, the company is entering a new phase, and we felt it was time for a new leader to take it through that phase and beyond. Jim, the Board and I all agreed that leader should be Thorsten Heins.”

Balsillie also publicly stated that it is the "right time to pass the baton," expressing "complete confidence" in the new management team. “I remain a significant shareholder and a Director and, of course, they will have my full support,” he said.

Heins is a relative newcomer to RIM, as he joined the company as Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering in December 2007. He became COO for Product and Sales in August 2011. Prior to joining RIM, he worked at Siemens and has built up 27 years of experience in "wireless networks and consumer electronics devices," according to a brief bio provided by the company.

His promotion has come as a surprise to some pundits. The Wall Street Journal characterized him as a "little-known company insider."

Stymiest, the new chairwoman, is also fairly new to the board of the BlackBerry maker, having joined in March 2007. She currently serves as an executive at the Royal Bank of Canada. Earlier this month, reports emerged that she was "a lock" for the position.

The corporate shake-up comes as investors had become vocal in calling for a change in leadership. Last June, the company organized a committee to investigate its organizational structure after an activist shareholder questioned the need for co-CEOs.

RIM has struggled in recent years to answer the threat posed by Apple's iPhone and the Google Android mobile OS. The company laid off more than 10 percent of its workforce, or 2,000 employees, last year in an effort to cut costs.

The BlackBerry Playbook, meant to be RIM's response to the iPad, ended up being a substantial failure, costing the company $485 million due to unsold inventory. Analysts were also troubled by delays in the new BlackBerry 10 OS that will allow Apple and Google to widen their lead on RIM.

However, some analysts viewed RIM's co-founders as the biggest issue the company was facing. Lazaridis and Balsillie have come to be viewed as out of touch with the market and unable to take the company in a new direction.

“There’s a bigger problem than the market share erosion and product delays,” one analyst told the publication off the record early this month. “It’s Mike and Jim.”

Though it's too early to tell, Heins does not appear as yet to have plans to drastically change RIM's strategy. In Sunday's press release, he affirmed Lazaridis and Balsillie's decision to purchase QNX a year and a half ago.

“We are more confident than ever that was the right path. It is Mike and Jim’s continued unwillingness to sacrifice long-term value for short-term gain which has made RIM the great company that it is today. I share that philosophy and am very excited about the company’s future," he said.

He did admit that the company had faced some "inevitable growing pains" and asserted his belief that RIM is stronger as a result.

“Going forward, we will continue to focus both on short-term and long-term growth, strategic planning, a customer- and market-based product approach, and flawless execution," he said, adding that RIM is in the process of recruiting a new Chief Marketing Officer.
post #2 of 67
WOW, that took long enough.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #3 of 67
Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Who am I kidding. We all saw it coming.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 67
LOL. "There comes a time in the growth of every successful company ...."

What company are they talking about?
post #5 of 67
They sure took their time getting rid of that incompetent duo.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 67
If I were a shareholder, I'd punish them further for being so arrogant even in the end. They drove so much value and talent out of the company that it's almost criminal.

I'm sure RIM will continue on, but any further missteps is going to sink the ship. Anyone want to place bets on whether they'll meet timelines for new os and products?
post #7 of 67
A couple of years from now, we'll be wondering, 'Thorsten who'?
post #8 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A couple of years from now, we'll be wondering, 'Thorsten who'?

Thorsten Spindler

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Thorsten Spindler

Pretty much.
So now that he's CEO, Thorsten can buy more $300K sports cars to park in the RIM 11 parking lot
post #10 of 67
Wow a long time due, after literally suffocating the company with their fatherly love.. The question now is, does Blackberry have enough steam left in them to up their game. It is going to be difficult not impossible.
post #11 of 67
The thing is, I doubt this will suddenly change things for the better. RIM is still bleeding marketshare, despite doing all they can to mimic the iPhone and iPad's design and concept. They got touchscreen phones. Check. They got a BlackBerry-branded App Store. Check. They rushed an iPad-like tablet to market. Check. They embedded a downloadable music store. Check. They run TV ads portraying BBM fans as fun, young, and hip. Check. What's coming is more of the same: more touchscreen phones, a bigger tablet. More "copy Apple." I don't think these guys stepping down as CEOs will change anything. Promoting a hand-picked insider like Thorsten Heins is not bringing fresh blood to the company. (Sorry buddy). Nor is keeping these guys on the board going to result in the necessary "come to Jesus moment" before it is too late. My belief is that they're headed for Palm's fate.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 67
Quote:
Lazaridis will transition to a Vice Chair role on the board, as well as Chair of its new Innovation Committee.

Anyone else see a problem with this? Chair the Innovation committee? This is the same guy that couldn't lead his company out of a wet paper bag, with a map and a flashlight, yet he's going to lead the "innovation committee"? Yeah, okay. Might want to sell any remaining stock in RIM now!
post #13 of 67
This company will be sold off and parted out.
post #14 of 67
lol rim
post #15 of 67
Jumping ship just before it goes down. Maybe house arrest is in order. lol
Don't flame me for my own opinion, unless you feel it necessary to boost your own ego.
Don't flame me for my own opinion, unless you feel it necessary to boost your own ego.
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

There comes a time in the growth of every successful company when the founders recognize the need to pass the baton to new leadership. Jim and I went to the Board and told them that we thought that time was now," Lazaridis said.

This is passing the Baton RIM STYLE
post #17 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Anyone else see a problem with this? Chair the Innovation committee? This is the same guy that couldn't lead his company out of a wet paper bag, with a map and a flashlight, yet he's going to lead the "innovation committee"? Yeah, okay. Might want to sell any remaining stock in RIM now!

It's actually pretty easy.

1. Read AppleInsider for rumors related to future Apple products
2. Seed the idea with the "innovation committee"
3. Announce RIM TV a year later

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #18 of 67
RIM's Blackberry: The CE version of a one hit wonder.

Many iterations of a single product but essentially a one hit wonder. It just goes to show you that if a company wants to stay on top, it will have to innovate to diversify its product lineup....like....Apple!

post #19 of 67
Amateur hour over, indeed!
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #20 of 67
That new phase for RIM is called bankruptcy. They held on way too long. We're on the 5th iteration of the iPhone and the Blackberry devices haven't progressed much. I know as I'm on my 4th corporate Blackberry in as many years. Blackberry OS 10 will be too little and too late.

I bet they'll call it Blackberry OSX just to get some hype from the Apple crowd.
post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post

Pretty much.
So now that he's CEO, Thorsten can buy more $300K sports cars to park in the RIM 11 parking lot

Is he the one I've seen driving the Tesla Roadster around town?

Cheech and Chong took too long to make this decision.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Amateur hour over

Well, co-amateur hour is over, at least.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Amateur hour over, indeed!
/
/
/

say it with me, chillun'
post #24 of 67
Just in the nick of time. The boys hopped on their ponies and galloped out of Dodge before the next quarterly results are posted in March. That sounds like a long time away, but they'll need a good head start before the townsfolk find out and the lynch mob takes after them.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

This is where Bain Capital comes in.
post #26 of 67
Another Canadian start-up , NOT really designed for staying as a business for a long time...just wanting and waiting to be bought out! Nortel all over AGAIN!
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
post #27 of 67
New suits will have to have a terrific game plan to prevent Rim from going down.
My question is.........Do they have something in mind or are they just taking the position because of shareholder pressure. Time is short and Rim subscribers are already jumping ship.
post #28 of 67
Why does this remind me of that song "Puppet on a String"?

That's all you are going to get with someone like Heins being promoted from within and J-Mike still owning over 10% of the company while also still being involved.

It's cosmetic.
post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

Another Canadian start-up , NOT really designed for staying as a business for a long time...just wanting and waiting to be bought out! Nortel all over AGAIN!

You don't know what you are talking about. This is nothing like Nortel and not all "Canadian startups" are like this by any means. You are just spouting BS because you probably were stupid enough to invest in Nortel.
post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

New suits will have to have a terrific game plan to prevent Rim from going down.
My question is.........Do they have something in mind or are they just taking the position because of shareholder pressure. Time is short and Rim subscribers are already jumping ship.

If you have any shares in RIM you would have been wise to sell them long long ago. If you are a RIM subscriber you should have been looking for a new phone a long time ago also.

The really significant thing about this announcement is it's complete incompetence. It's just more bad news in that regard.

You don't replace your CEOs without having an alternate plan and announcing that plan at the time they leave. The fact that they came out and said they are tossing out the old CEOs and replacing them with a new one and that this new CEO says that he is (paraphrased) "staying the course" should be alarming to anyone who actually has money invested.

Lets see .. they have already given up on tablets. They have also admitted several times that little plastic keys are on the way out and the future is with touch screen technology. They have had zero success with that however and their first attempt (the Storm), was laughed out of the market. They are currently experimenting with three different devices, two of which they quit development on two or three weeks ago.

They are now literally putting all their eggs into one basket. The "London" device, which is their second attempt at a touch screen phone to compete with iPhone. It *might* be out later this year. But unless "London" is so good that it makes Android or iPhone alternatives look bad, it's going to fail also.

Any investor who still has money in this company in the hopes that this London thing will be so good that it wows the market and converts people from iPhone to Blackberry, is probably the same kind of person who bets on hundred-to-one longshots at the racetrack. In other words, an idiot.
post #31 of 67
Heins - did admit that the company had faced some "inevitable growing pains" and asserted his belief that RIM is stronger as a result.

"inevitable growing pains" doesn't he mean dying pains? Rim is not growing, in fact the reverse and this shrub has no clue how to reverse it, short of trying to trying to copy Apple, without the mindset required to do that. Just put the company down and save the share holder's money, al the new attempted Apple cloned devices wil fail. Give it up the war was lost over 2 years ago. Apple won!

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

post #32 of 67
They should have ditched their CEO's in 2008 when it was clear they weren't able to emotionally let go of the traditional Blackberry and move to an entirely new platform.

All a new CEO can do at this point is sell the company or guide them gently in to bankruptcy.

Lazaridis will be Chair of its new Innovation Committee?? The man had 5 years to innovate since the iPhone was launched and failed at every turn. Is he really RIM's best choice for that position?

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #33 of 67
post #34 of 67
The Beiber and the banker.
This should be good.....
post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Who in the world would have stock in RIM at this stage? Anyone still holding stock after today, I would not pity one iota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

If this was a US company I imagine it would have been ripped to shreds and fed to the dogs long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

The Beiber and the banker.
This should be good.....

As always, it would all be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.
post #36 of 67
Who didn't see this coming? Please the writing was in the wall. RIM is a one hit wonder.
This year Apple will annialate their competition. iPad 3, iPhone 5 and their tvs will send their bank account North of the $100 billion mark.
post #37 of 67
Hope they are able to pull things round at RIM. I think it's important for the industry that competition remains and that Blackberry implement a succesful QNX operating system. Choice is good.
post #38 of 67
They also have TWO COOs? Is every position duplicated? Can't they just backup using Time Machine
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #39 of 67
I'll reiterate what I think. This is a clear case of fraudulence, plain and simple. "Chair of Innovation something something". Not just a joke, a complete fraud. BlackBerry 7 to BlackBerry 10 (whatever the heck that is) taking one WHOLE year? Who do they think will buy it then, if things are so sucky now? PlayBook 2? Really? Sure, if you had other parts of the business doing well, you could explore this market, but the prognosis is clearly not good.

This is criminal conduct. Sad that it would take a whole bunch of lawsuits, laywers and what not to prove this point "in the law".

It's criminal behaviour, plain and simple, by all involved. The Board has just shuffled themselves around to make it look like they're making a difference. Stymiest has been on the board since 2007. What has she done, exactly? That's not "new to the board", that's been sitting on the board watching everything progressively go down the drain for at least a good four years.

If I was a Canadian citizen I would be asking my congressperson to initiate criminal investigations of corporate fraud and misconduct, or contact the police. This is white-collar crime, plain and simple. They should go to jail.

What has Thorsten done so far as well? Clearly just the patsy, only thing he's in on it with a suitable golden parachute.

People, this is the big corporate and banking world that is sucking the life out of healthy economies. Companies like these are not fixing any problems, they ARE the problem. When you look at your dwindling paycheck in terms of real value, and unemployment of otherwise talented and capable people, RIM sticks out as a sore thumb of why the middle class in most Western countries is getting squeezed out of existence.
post #40 of 67
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QUFwhpcrCTw

Well, well... what a small world we live in!

Back in Dec. I posted this here at AI:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...5&postcount=46

Yup... one of the guys I had the displeasure to meet a couple years back just took over the reigns at RIM... and YES most definitely he is a douche of the most delusional BS'ing kind.

In this video... I rest my case!

Going back to the meeting I attended: apart from the fact that he was thoroughly laughing off Apple and the iPhone's future, in one of those thoroughly maddening "chuckle, chuckle, they don't have a chance" ways that you just wanna bust him one in the chops... due to his "connections", every other bozo in the meeting was kissing his proverbial squeaky little a**. I still can't bring myself to do that, I guess that's why I'm still a "small-business" man (sigh).

The particular attendees to this meeting will go unmentioned... but now I know which companies will probably waste a ton of money buying out RIM: Siemens & Deutsche Telekom. Siemens as a high-tech back-end for DT, and their major contacts in Asia, China, and the money guys all tied up in the UAE (RIM's true and loyal customer base)... well I can see this working. However... not in any way shape or form that Herr Heins is suggesting in his interview. In fact... that is one sorry a** smoke-screen if you ask me!

Oh! I forget: no one will ask me because I'm a) too small, b) not properly "connected", and c) I prefer Apple products and software. Bad, Bad.... "F" it... GOOD THING and I'm enjoying my ride too much to ever bend over and kiss "it"... or take "it"!

PS. I really wanna see him play hockey with the puck-head employees… that might be good entertainment!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM co-founders step down as chairmen, CEOs