or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM co-founders step down as chairmen, CEOs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RIM co-founders step down as chairmen, CEOs - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Innovation by committee?

Time for us all to move along, folks. Show's over. Nothing left to see here.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #42 of 67
As Dick Applebaum said... Stay true to your values. RIM is now clearly a fraudulent, flaming pile of ***. Good bye, and Good riddance. I want nothing to do with their fraudulent, criminal ways.

PS AI Servers seem to be having a rough time right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QUFwhpcrCTw

Well, well... what a small world we live in!

Back in Dec. I posted this here at AI:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...5&postcount=46

Yup... one of the guys I had the displeasure to meet a couple years back just took over the reigns at RIM... and YES most definitely he is a douche of the most delusional BS'ing kind.

In this video... I rest my case!

Going back to the meeting I attended: apart from the fact that he was thoroughly laughing off Apple and the iPhone's future, in one of those thoroughly maddening "chuckle, chuckle, they don't have a chance" ways that you just wanna bust him one in the chops... due to his "connections", every other bozo in the meeting was kissing his proverbial squeaky little a**. I still can't bring myself to do that, I guess that's why I'm still a "small-business" man (sigh).

The particular attendees to this meeting will go unmentioned... but now I know which companies will probably waste a ton of money buying out RIM: Siemens & Deutsche Telekom. Siemens as a high-tech back-end for DT, and their major contacts in Asia, China, and the money guys all tied up in the UAE (RIM's true and loyal customer base)... well I can see this working. However... not in any way shape or form that Herr Heins is suggesting in his interview. In fact... that is one sorry a** smoke-screen if you ask me!

Oh! I forget: no one will ask me because I'm a) too small, b) not properly "connected", and c) I prefer Apple products and software. Bad, Bad.... "F" it... GOOD THING and I'm enjoying my ride too much to ever bend over and kiss "it"... or take "it"!

PS. I really wanna see him play hockey with the puck-head employees that might be good entertainment!
post #43 of 67
Steve Jobs couldn't have saved this company at this point.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

In this video... I rest my case!

So this guy has been with RiM for 4 years, joining in December 2007, becoming senior vice-president for the handheld business unit yet the company still can't produce a decent modern device in 4 years yet this guy is who they think will save the company? I don't think Steve Jobs could save this company at this point but this just seems like a ]oke.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #45 of 67
Quote:
Is he the one I've seen driving the Tesla Roadster around town?

The Tesla belongs to either Cheech or Chong (forgot which one).

Thorsten drives the burgandy AMG Mercedes SLS.
post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Is he the one I've seen driving the Tesla Roadster around town?

Cheech and Chong took too long to make this decision.

The Telsa belongs to either Cheech or Chong.

Thorsten drives the burgandy AMG Mercedes SLS.
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

LOL. "There comes a time in the growth of every successful company ...."

What company are they talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They sure took their time getting rid of that incompetent duo.

So easy for forum dwellers to mock two entrepreneurs who built a $B company from the ground up. Did either of you accomplish anything close enough to call the company unsuccessful or to label Balsillie and Laziridis as incompetent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Anyone else see a problem with this? Chair the Innovation committee? This is the same guy that couldn't lead his company out of a wet paper bag, with a map and a flashlight, yet he's going to lead the "innovation committee"? Yeah, okay. Might want to sell any remaining stock in RIM now!

I agree with this concern. Both JB and ML should walk away. But would you walk away so easily from something you created with so much sweat capital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


If I was a Canadian citizen I would be asking my congressperson to initiate criminal investigations of corporate fraud and misconduct, or contact the police. This is white-collar crime, plain and simple. They should go to jail.

If you were a Canadian citizen, you would not be able to find a congressperson because there is no such beast up there in Canada. This just makes the rest of your tirade rather silly. Criminal conduct? What's criminal is your lack of basic knowledge of the world.
post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You don't know what you are talking about. This is nothing like Nortel and not all "Canadian startups" are like this by any means. You are just spouting BS because you probably were stupid enough to invest in Nortel.




You are obviously IN DENIAL...denying it does NOT mean it is NOT! Canadians are known to start a business, hoping it gets sold LATER...and RIM/Nortel are prime examples! That IS the reason why they had NO future plans to make the business stay long! I am NOT stupid to invest in Nortel, though I do have lots of SUNCOR stocks!
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #49 of 67
They switched out the CEO but he's "staying the course"?

Deck chairs. Titanic.
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

This is where Bain Capital comes in.

That is side-splittingly funny!
post #51 of 67
How long before Stymiest is, well, just plain stymied?
post #52 of 67
Too little, too late. RIM is the walking dead.
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post





You are obviously IN DENIAL...denying it does NOT mean it is NOT! Canadians are known to start a business, hoping it gets sold LATER...and RIM/Nortel are prime examples! That IS the reason why they had NO future plans to make the business stay long! I am NOT stupid to invest in Nortel, though I do have lots of SUNCOR stocks!

You could make that claim about ANY tech start up. I think RIM is a perfect example of one that absolutely was not started or run in the hope it would be sold off. Both Lazaridis and Balsillie were all about legacy building. From RIM, to PI to CGCI, the Balsillie cancer centre at the local hospital, the governance school at one of the local universities, to trying to buy hockey teams everything these guys got into was to try to build a legacy.

Do you have any numbers to back up your claim that "Canadians are known to start a business, hoping it gets sold LATER" any more than their US contemporaries?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You could make that claim about ANY tech start up. I think RIM is a perfect example of one that absolutely was not started or run in the hope it would be sold off. Both Lazaridis and Balsillie were all about legacy building. From RIM, to PI to CGCI, the Balsillie cancer centre at the local hospital, the governance school at one of the local universities, to trying to buy hockey teams everything these guys got into was to try to build a legacy.

Do you have any numbers to back up your claim that "Canadians are known to start a business, hoping it gets sold LATER" any more than their US contemporaries?

Those are NOT ways to build a company legacy--more like company expenditures and tax deductibles...anyway, the sure way to make a company lasts is to secure a solid foundation for it through innovation (as SJ would have done) and NOT to milk its one and only product to death! As for stats go to StatsCan, and do your OWN research!
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

Those are NOT ways to build a company legacy--more like company expenditures and tax deductibles...anyway, the sure way to make a company lasts is to secure a solid foundation for it through innovation (as SJ would have done) and NOT to milk its one and only product to death! As for stats go to StatsCan, and do your OWN research!

No. If you are going to make bogus, unsubstaintiated, borderline-retarded claimed, you back them up. Otherwise, don't make stupid claims you can't backup. And I never said those other things were meant to build up company legacy. Legacy, as in personal legacy.

You really have no fucking clue, do you? No one will fault you for not knowing or not understanding. But they will if you just make shit up. Don't make shit up.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

No. If you are going to make bogus, unsubstaintiated, borderline-retarded claimed, you back them up. Otherwise, don't make stupid claims you can't backup. And I never said those other things were meant to build up company legacy. Legacy, as in personal legacy.

You really have no fucking clue, do you? No one will fault you for not knowing or not understanding. But they will if you just make shit up. Don't make shit up.

and WHY should I do your research for YOU??? As I said go DO your own research...there are lots of information about it, just ask Kevin O' Leary about it!
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

If you were a Canadian citizen, you would not be able to find a congressperson because there is no such beast up there in Canada. This just makes the rest of your tirade rather silly. Criminal conduct? What's criminal is your lack of basic knowledge of the world.

I am not in the USA. I used congressperson because it relates to most people reading the forum.

I'll let your ad hominem slide. Nice try assuming what I don't or do know about the world.

It is criminal conduct in my view, and Canadians will eventually have to foot the bill, if they haven't already, for these kinds of shenanigans.

Your call, Canadians. I suggest you press for this fiasco to be sorted out ASAP.

Maybe Canadians have more pressing matters, I of course won't sink to insulting Canadians, which is not my point anyway.

The case is clear. You have two Co-Chairmen, Co-CEOs that have presided over a failing company for four years. Now they are still on the Board, and one is "Chariman of Innovation". Next, you have a banker that has been sitting on the same Board for four years while everything went South and she's now independent Chair. You have a guy very closely related to their actual failing products, and he's now the CEO. This CEO is also "staying the course" ~ which obviously raises the point, why would he have been chosen if he's just going to "stay the course"? A puppet, perhaps?

What's wrong with this picture? I'll leave it to you all.
post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

and WHY should I do your research for YOU??? As I said go DO your own research...there are lots of information about it, just ask Kevin O' Leary about it!

Ok, I called Kevin. He said you were full of crap too.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I am not in the USA. I used congressperson because it relates to most people reading the forum.

I get it. Neat trick! Next time I write something wrong, I will simply chalk to down *slumming* too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


It is criminal conduct in my view, and Canadians will eventually have to foot the bill, if they haven't already, for these kinds of shenanigans.

Whether it's criminal conduct is not up to anyone's view. It's up to the court system to decide, if the police or FBI (in case there's no FBI in Canada, I am just making it easy for others to relate ) see fit to investigate and proceed with charges. We are so far from that and you are already talking about Canadians to foot the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Your call, Canadians. I suggest you press for this fiasco to be sorted out ASAP.

How? How can Canadian citizens press for anything? Are the Finns pressing for Nokia to face criminal charges? Are Americans pressing for HP, Dell and Palm to face criminal charges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Maybe Canadians have more pressing matters, I of course won't sink to insulting Canadians, which is not my point anyway.

Now you make sense. I am sure Canadians have more pressing matters than to interfere with the running of a company, even if the company had bungled its decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The case is clear. You have two Co-Chairmen, Co-CEOs that have presided over a failing company for four years. Now they are still on the Board, and one is "Chariman of Innovation". Next, you have a banker that has been sitting on the same Board for four years while everything went South and she's now independent Chair. You have a guy very closely related to their actual failing products, and he's now the CEO. This CEO is also "staying the course" ~ which obviously raises the point, why would he have been chosen if he's just going to "stay the course"? A puppet, perhaps?

What's wrong with this picture? I'll leave it to you all.

I agree wholeheartedly that these changes are not changes at all. Personally, I am quite disappointed. But criminal charges? Watching too much Law & Order?
post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Ok, I called Kevin. He said you were full of crap too.

What's the saying: "Cussing is a FEEBLE-mind's futile attempt to sound strong on a losing argument"...har, har, har!

PS
Just ask HOW Kevin SOLD his "The Learning Company" for millions of dollars...hehehe!!!
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

What's the saying: "Cussing is a FEEBLE-mind's futile attempt to sound strong on a losing argument"...har, har, har!

PS
Just ask HOW Kevin SOLD his "The Learning Company" for millions of dollars...hehehe!!!

That's the thing. You have no argument to win or lose against. You have only statements and assertions that you don't know how to back up. You are being dishonest. Own it.

*and for factual honesty, he sold it for billions.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

That's the thing. You have no argument to win or lose against. You have only statements and assertions that you don't know how to back up. You are being dishonest. Own it.

*and for factual honesty, he sold it for billions.

I DO, and even GAVE you an example...go ASK Kevin, he knows a lot about Canadian start-ups (RIM and NORTEL unfortunately didn't get SOLD, because they are LOSERS) whose sole purpose is to SELL the businesses LATER for PROFIT!

BTW, Steve Jobs hated those type of start-ups!
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #63 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

I DO, and even GAVE you an example...go ASK Kevin, he knows a lot about Canadian start-ups (RIM and NORTEL unfortunately didn't get SOLD, because they are LOSERS) whose sole purpose is to SELL the businesses LATER for PROFIT!

BTW, Steve Jobs hated those type of start-ups!

I didn't ask for examples. Examples don't make facts. You said "Canadians are known to start a business, hoping it gets sold LATER...and RIM/Nortel are prime examples! That IS the reason why they had NO future plans to make the business stay long!"

Back it up. The facts might suggest that Canadians are less likely to do so. The fact might say you are right and they are more likely. But without those facts, you are talking out of your ass. Specifically to the former RIM leaders, Lazaridis and Balsillie were known for want to build legacies, with RIM and with their other projects. That speaks volumes against your silly suggestion that they started it in order to sell it. If that was the case, they would have sold it when they were on top.

I see now that you are just trolling with a new alt. Have fun with that.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I didn't ask for examples. Examples don't make facts. You said "Canadians are known to start a business, hoping it gets sold LATER...and RIM/Nortel are prime examples! That IS the reason why they had NO future plans to make the business stay long!"

Back it up. The facts might suggest that Canadians are less likely to do so. The fact might say you are right and they are more likely. But without those facts, you are talking out of your ass. Specifically to the former RIM leaders, Lazaridis and Balsillie were known for want to build legacies, with RIM and with their other projects. That speaks volumes against your silly suggestion that they started it in order to sell it. If that was the case, they would have sold it when they were on top.

I see now that you are just trolling with a new alt. Have fun with that.

WHY would you sell it when you are PROFITING yet...RIM tried to sell it last year BUT there were NO takers...so RIM will go just like Nortel, another Canadian start-up casualty! BTW, does RIM even have any sort of product except the their antiquated Blackberry model...NONE, because they really have NO long-term business plans at ALL! Even the new CEO said they will have NO changes for the company...just goes to show that they really wanted to sell the stupid business!

Truth HURTS, eh??! You must be one of RIM's duped stockholders...har, har, har! BYE-bye to your hard-earned money!
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

WHY would you sell it when you are PROFITING yet...RIM tried to sell it last year BUT there were NO takers...so RIM will go just like Nortel, another Canadian start-up casualty! BTW, does RIM even have any sort of product except the their antiquated Blackberry model...NONE, because they really have NO long-term business plans at ALL! Even the new CEO said they will have NO changes for the company...just goes to show that they really wanted to sell the stupid business!

Umm, duh, because if you really do want to sell it, that is when it is worth the most.

duh.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #66 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Umm, duh, because if you really do want to sell it, that is when it is worth the most.

duh.


NOT exactly, what a lot of Canadian start-ups DO is to sell it NOT when it is still on top (since they want to get the MOST profits first) BUT when it is still attractive, but already waning, for the simple reason that there really are NO long-term business plans at all to sustain their Canadian start-up...lol!!
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I get it. Neat trick! Next time I write something wrong, I will simply chalk to down *slumming* too.

Whether it's criminal conduct is not up to anyone's view. It's up to the court system to decide, if the police or FBI (in case there's no FBI in Canada, I am just making it easy for others to relate ) see fit to investigate and proceed with charges. We are so far from that and you are already talking about Canadians to foot the bill.

How? How can Canadian citizens press for anything? Are the Finns pressing for Nokia to face criminal charges? Are Americans pressing for HP, Dell and Palm to face criminal charges?

Now you make sense. I am sure Canadians have more pressing matters than to interfere with the running of a company, even if the company had bungled its decisions.

I agree wholeheartedly that these changes are not changes at all. Personally, I am quite disappointed. But criminal charges? Watching too much Law & Order?

Using a US term is 'slumming'? I should say, nice trick there. Do you think I only know congress as a governmental system? Duuuhhhh geee, what's this westimenisterrrrr plarliamenataryy thingymajiggg y'all iz talkin 'bout??

Yes, criminal charges should be pressed against many elements in the financial and corporate world. Like I said, I am not in the US or Canada so I leave it to them. Nokia did admit to their problems and made reasonable attempts to change. The US criminality is amongst the banks and financial institutions, HP and so on not the key focus.

Do you think the Canadian government isn't already propping up elements of RIM? I guess most of the RIM employees that have been laid off so far haven't had to touch a cent of public funds, they must have millions in their bank accounts to depend on. How nice of RIM.

Do you think the US isn't enslaved to the financial industry?

I don't watch much TV crime shows nowadays because somebody mugging you of $200 is nothing compared with bankers ripping off trillions from the global financial system. Because the bankers control the networks which control the shows that make you scared of that dodgy-looking guy down the street rather than the real evil in corporate penthouses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM co-founders step down as chairmen, CEOs