or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Massive holiday quarter pushes iPhone sales past Android in US

Massive holiday quarter pushes iPhone sales past Android in US - Page 2

post #41 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I refuse to believe you can't parse out the logic here, but I'll humor you.

The answer to that question is no. You are now left to resolve the only other chronological option on your own.

I'll also tell you to make note of the fact that that thread (as well as the context of my quote) was about Android. You're making the implication (or implying that I believe) that Google is comprised of ONLY Android in your connection to the second quote of mine.

Seriously, it's not difficult at all to actually read this stuff in context and come to the right conclusion.

so stand by your statements then! In context or out of context the statements contradict eachother! Why does it bother you to be remined of what you wrote?

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #42 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

so stand by your statements then! In context or out of context the statements contradict each other!

You don't understand what 'context' means. My statements do not contradict. I stand by both of them.

Quote:
Why does it bother you to be remined of what you wrote?

It only bothers me that you're frivoling around with this when you clearly understand exactly what I'm saying.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #43 of 74
Horse beatings:

iPhone (1st gen)
iPhone 3G (2nd gen)
iPhone 3GS (3rd gen)
iPhone 4 (4th gen)
iPhone 4S (5th gen)
<Unnamed, 6th iteration of iPhone> (6th gen)

That is why he thinks it will not be the iPhone 5.
post #44 of 74
Quote:

You don't understand what 'context' means. My statements do not contradict. I stand by both of them.

It only bothers me that you're frivoling around with this when you clearly understand exactly what I'm saying.

Those are not contexxt staements and you know it....so you only believe Google crash and burn as long as we are talking about Android or depending on how the thread is going? Or do you stand behind this staement in the light of day?
Same goes for this statement. You only believe that statement if the thread is pro Google?

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #45 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I even saw A Blackberry a few weeks back!

Perhaps in ten years, someone will make the amazing discovery of finding an actual Blackberry off the coast of Madagascar.
post #46 of 74
Quote:

Those are not contexxt staements and you know it

No, you don't understand what 'context' means.

I apologize for my tone earlier. You've shown you really don't get it, and that's not your fault. I'll explain, then.

The Oracle suit. That's against Google about Android. Exclusively. To my knowledge, it doesn't have anything to do with anything else of Google's. As far as I've seen, in that suit, Google has been shown to have ripped off code from Oracle, pure and simple. When I said 'collapse', in the context of the statement I made and within the topic of that thread, I was referring to Android, a wholly owned subsidiary of Google.

The future of computing OVERALL will be Google, Apple, and a third company. Google does some impressive stuff elsewhere. They have their mapping system, self-driving cars, translation, and a slew of software-only services. They also have a rudimentary computer OS and have dabbled in making their own hardware with phones and set top boxes. Not to mention search. I actually almost forgot that.

Should the Oracle and Apple lawsuits bring about the death of Android and tens of billions of dollars paid in damages, that will not end Google as a whole. At least, probably. I figure that, while what they'd be forced to pay would be devastating, it wouldn't make Google into an eMachines. What's left of Google after Android will still be a force in the future of the technology industry, alongside Apple who has, in the last three or so years, solidified their hold on the near future.

post #47 of 74
I must admit that this quarterly report took everyone by surprise. I concede this quarter win for Apple. Of course the holidays may have given Apple a temporary push up the charts. Still mark my words. There are over 700,000 daily Android activations is no laughing matter. As I have stated before 2012, will be the year Android will surpass iOS by a huge margin. It's inevitable. Apple is not an immovable object, and will move down the single digit share. Android is the irresistible force that has just begun it's runaway growth and 98% market share.
post #48 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I must admit that this quarterly report took everyone by surprise. I concede this quarter win for Apple. Of course the holidays may have given Apple a temporary push up the charts. Still mark my words. There are over 700,000 daily Android activations is no laughing matter. As I have stated before 2012, will be the year Android will surpass iOS by a huge margin. It's inevitable. Apple is not an immovable object, and will move down the single digit share. Android is the irresistible force that has just begun it's runaway growth and 98% market share.

700,000 activations =/= 700,000 new users. There's plenty of warranty replacements, buy-backs, geeks buying multiple unsubsidized phones, etc. Google is not transparent about it.

Thus far, Apple's market share has steadily grown, and is trending upward. Android is devouring Nokia and RIM's former market share, as well as taking over the market that once bought feature phones (i.e. cheap phones, prepaid phones, etc.).

Market share only matters to developers, and Android has been unable to bring the money.

How's the Android domination of tablets going? Apple's only competition is it's production constraints.
post #49 of 74
Quote:

not wanting to debate or beat a dead horse but just wanted his logic......thats all.
Iphone 3g then iPhone 3Gs (not 4) then iPhone 4 then iPhone 4s...next logical would be iPhone 5

So, logically, Apple will call the 6th Generation iPhone... the iPhone 5.

Right.

From a marketing perspective, 6 > 5. Bigger is better.
post #50 of 74
Quote:

No, you don't understand what 'context' means.

I apologize for my tone earlier. You've shown you really don't get it, and that's not your fault. I'll explain, then.

The Oracle suit. That's against Google about Android. Exclusively. To my knowledge, it doesn't have anything to do with anything else of Google's. As far as I've seen, in that suit, Google has been shown to have ripped off code from Oracle, pure and simple. When I said 'collapse', in the context of the statement I made and within the topic of that thread, I was referring to Android, a wholly owned subsidiary of Google.

The future of computing OVERALL will be Google, Apple, and a third company. Google does some impressive stuff elsewhere. They have their mapping system, self-driving cars, translation, and a slew of software-only services. They also have a rudimentary computer OS and have dabbled in making their own hardware with phones and set top boxes. Not to mention search. I actually almost forgot that.

Should the Oracle and Apple lawsuits bring about the death of Android and tens of billions of dollars paid in damages, that will not end Google as a whole. At least, probably. I figure that, while what they'd be forced to pay would be devastating, it wouldn't make Google into an eMachines. What's left of Google after Android will still be a force in the future of the technology industry, alongside Apple who has, in the last three or so years, solidified their hold on the near future.

Oh...so when you said
"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"you didn't mean Google! Oh it makes total sense to me now! You said Google but you didn't mean Google......you mean Android...but you didn't say Android or even hint that you mean Android at the time but NOW you mean Android and not Google as whole. WOW......don't trip while back peddling.....
and when you said
You meant after they collapse from the Oracle suit they would rise again right? Become a OVERALL leader in the world IT space.....it all makes so much sense now........don't actually pay attention to what you write beacasue you really don't mean what you write. Its all based on interpretation and context....... cysrtal clear now.........

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #51 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Right.

I don't know what they will call it...... 5 seems logical but but only those working at Apple really know what it will be called....

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #52 of 74
Quote:

Right.

Good! That's three people who understand!

Quote:

Exactly. That tears right into the argument that "they'll name it iPhone 5 because of marketing".

Quote:

You said Google but you didn't mean Google......you mean Android...but you didn't say Android or even hint that you mean Android at the time but NOW you mean Android and not Google as whole.

Yes! Good. Now you understand an example of what context means.

Quote:
WOW......don't trip while back peddling.....

Never mind. You're clearly doing this on purpose. I'm done indulging your crap.

post #53 of 74
Quote:

Good! That's three people who understand!

Exactly. That tears right into the argument that "they'll name it iPhone 5 because of marketing".

Yes! Good. Now you understand an example of what context means.

Never mind. You're clearly doing this on purpose. I'm done indulging your crap.

lol....don't go by what you say...go by what you mean.....but we don't know what you mean unless we go by what you say.......make sense to me!

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #54 of 74
That is slapppingly great number
post #55 of 74
Quote:

I don't know what they will call it...... 5 seems logical but but only those working at Apple really know what it will be called....

It only seems logical because you are under the impression that Apple follows a strict series of numbers in numerical order.

To this I say...

Where is the iPhone 2?

Plus, Apple being Apple may wish to stiff all the people who were "disappointed" that Apple didn't release an iPhone 5 last fall by never releasing the mythical iPhone 5 and moving right on to 6.
post #56 of 74
Quote:

Right.

Two questions arrive from this:

1. If Apple does call it the iPhone 5 then where do we go from there.

2. How many people will actually give a shit as to what the next iPhone is named.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #57 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Two questions arrive from this:

1. If Apple does call it the iPhone 5 then where do we go from there.

2. How many people will actually give a shit as to what the next iPhone is named.

1. Universe explodes. Then implodes. Then unicorns.

2. 42.
post #58 of 74
Quote:

1. Universe explodes. Then implodes. Then unicorns.

2. 42.

42 1/2 ... we have to include Slappy.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #59 of 74
Quote:

"Life, the Universe, and literally Everything, even the stuff that makes no sense."

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

post #60 of 74
Quote:

Oh...so when you said
"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"you didn't mean Google! Oh it makes total sense to me now! You said Google but you didn't mean Google......you mean Android...but you didn't say Android or even hint that you mean Android at the time but NOW you mean Android and not Google as whole. WOW......don't trip while back peddling.....
and when you said
You meant after they collapse from the Oracle suit they would rise again right? Become a OVERALL leader in the world IT space.....it all makes so much sense now........don't actually pay attention to what you write beacasue you really don't mean what you write. Its all based on interpretation and context....... cysrtal clear now.........

Everybody understands what he is saying. It all makes perfect sense.

Just like the Soviet Union after Afghanistan, Google will be one of the three leading world tech powers.
post #61 of 74
Quote:

I laugh out loud every time the name Slappy is mentioned. LOL!

And what is even better, we can all be mean and nasty to him with no fear of the mods!
post #62 of 74
I am content to wait for more substantial data from Google and their partners. Just as Apple surprised everyone with these numbers, Google and their partners will stun equally. To be honest, I simply cannot believe these numbers from Apple. There must be some kind of mistake or error that will soon come to light. This quarter is just seems unrealistic.
post #63 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

And what is even better, we can all be mean and nasty to him with no fear of the mods!

No, you can't insult him. If what he says is a lie, feel free to correct it. If you have a counterpoint to a subjective belief of his, feel free to express it. Just like anyone else.

But no insults.

post #64 of 74
Quote:

I am content to wait for more substantial data from Google and their partners. Just as Apple surprised everyone with these numbers, Google and their partners will stun equally. To be honest, I simply cannot believe these numbers from Apple. There must be some kind of mistake or error that will soon come to light. This quarter is just seems unrealistic.

If only there was a long history of Apple's quarterly and yearly results that would show such a trend to increased sales and profits¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #65 of 74
Quote:

You give credence to the 'ignorance is bliss' cliche. Android has the dummy activations in the pocket for sure, but that's not what produces winning quarters of profit. You just saw what does. I just made a boat load of money off of Apple for the third time, and it will happen again.

Just keep in mind that Apple sold more iPads with IOS than HP did PC's this past quarter. They also sold more PC's as well. When OSX is merged into iOS for the desktop and mobile applications, you'll see even more developers flock to the iOS platform of choice. Enterprise also views Android as the most unstable platform, even below that of RIM, which is not a compliment. iOS is in the driver's seat there as well, which is what will ultimately decide the success of the platform.

So keep spitting out the same old same old every day Slappy. I'd venture to say that you are merely saving face, and probably were smart enough to buy some Apple shares for yourself. Then again, probably not...
post #66 of 74
iPhone 4T. "T" for AWESOME.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #67 of 74
Quote:

Just a thought. Instead of posting on an Apple board and getting lots of abuse, why don't you just enjoy your mobile OS and do something more interesting? After all us sad ones reading this should really be out in the world doing something constructive or worthwhile instead.

This is just a friendly suggestion and there is no unkindness meant towards you whatsoever. You can like Windows mobile for me. Peace in diversity as the fanous saying goes.
post #68 of 74
Quote:

lol. Its a legal document.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #69 of 74
The real problem for Androiders is this:

Apple have proven that new releases will bump up their sales enormously. Sales of the 3GS must also be high. I expect to see an iPhone 5 and a iPad 3 in the next 6 months. The iPhone line will consist of 4 devices, the iPad line of 2. They will move aggressively into China.

The cost of updating an iPad is the cost of depreciation of the last iPad. I expect most owners of an iPad 2 to upgrade this year, while the Android tablets will drop out of contention, unable to power retina type displays. iPad 1 owners may upgrade as well, and there will be new owners. By Q1 2013 APple will be selling 60M iPhones ( or more) and 40M iPads.
post #70 of 74
Quote:

I am content to wait for more substantial data from Google and their partners.

Well, as Samsung seems to be turning into Google's most significant 'partner'... you could be waiting a long time.
post #71 of 74
Quote:

Please hold your breath while you're waiting.

Since neither Google nor any of the partners ever releases information on how many Android phones have been sold, what makes you think they'll start now?

Quote:

Just as Apple surprised everyone with these numbers, Google and their partners will stun equally. To be honest, I simply cannot believe these numbers from Apple. There must be some kind of mistake or error that will soon come to light. This quarter is just seems unrealistic.

Really? So you're accusing Apple of committing felony fraud? I hope you have a good attorney to defend you against slander.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #72 of 74
Quote:

THEY NEVER RELEASE THEIR NUMBERS. You will not be getting any more substantial data than the stuff you're seeing now.

Quote:
To be honest, I simply cannot believe these numbers from Apple. There must be some kind of mistake or error that will soon come to light.

You sound like the stereotypical generalization of Marie Antoinette. "There must be some mistake. From everything I know, my subjects love me!"

No, see, the true mistake here is the Android manufacturers just making up numbers. How can Apple sell 80% of the smartphones on AT&T and Android still have larger marketshare?

post #73 of 74
Quote:

"Substantial" like Google's earnings call from last week? The one where they had to try to talk investors off a ledge?

Quote:

Just as Apple surprised everyone with these numbers, Google and their partners will stun equally.

Ok, so Google itself is out of the running for "stunning" numbers. Maybe Samsung will post some "stunning" numbers tomorrow (although their pre-call guidance says no)? Perhaps HTC will prop up the collective numbers for "Google and their partners" - although they've already posted unaudited numbers that show a 26% reduction in revenues.

Given your long history of prediction, you shouldn't have any trouble quantifying what these "stunning" results should be (at least in rough terms). And who exactly is going to post these impressive numbers. Where & what is the evidence you're basing all these grand assertions on?

Quote:

To be honest, I simply cannot believe these numbers from Apple. There must be some kind of mistake or error that will soon come to light. This quarter is just seems unrealistic.

Ah, I see, it was a mistake. An accounting error perhaps? Maybe a typo? And what's "unrealistic"? It's not predictions we're talking about, it's recorded history at this point. If Samsung is expected to sell 32 million smartphones in one quarter, what's unrealistic about Apple selling 37 million?

EDIT: The guidance was solid for Samsung. Not a bad investment, they're up on numbers YoY. But, since we're making comparisons here, they only generated 78% of Apples revenues and 36% of Apple's profits. I'm thinking it doesn't quite fit in the "stunning surprise" category - but nothing no sniff at either. HTC on the other hand - 364 Million in profits, down over 25% from Q4 2010, not so great for saving the Android-alliance there. Motorola, even worse, 80 million dollar loss on the year ... oops. LG is bleeding red too, with forecasts for worse. Where's the stunning news?
post #74 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? So you're accusing Apple of committing felony fraud? I hope you have a good attorney to defend you against slander.

Libel for written statements Slappy has gone from conceding the quarter to Apple to accusing them of fraud. Awesome.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Massive holiday quarter pushes iPhone sales past Android in US