or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Motorola suit seeks injunction against Apple's iPhone 4S, iCloud
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Motorola suit seeks injunction against Apple's iPhone 4S, iCloud

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Motorola Mobility has filed a new U.S. lawsuit, presumably with approval from Google, against Apple, seeking an injunction against the newly released iPhone 4S as well as the iCloud service.

The latest complaint was filed by Motorola against Apple in the Southern District of Florida. It cites six patents that were previously used in complaints against older Apple hardware and services.

The complaint was likely authorized by Google, Forian Mueller of FOSS Patents noted on Wednesday, as Google's proposed takeover of Motorola Mobility gives the search giant control over such actions. The merger agreement between the two companies states that Motorola cannot "assert any Intellectual Property Right in any new Action" without the consent of Google.

The six patents named in Motorola's latest suit against Apple are:

U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987 - "Receiver having concealed external antenna"

U.S. Patent No. 5,754,119 - "Multiple pager status synchronization system and method"

U.S. Patent No. 5,958,006 - "Method and apparatus for communicating summarized data"

U.S. Patent No. 6,101,531 - "System for communicating user-selected criteria filter prepared at wireless client to communication server for filtering data transferred from host to said wireless client"

U.S. Patent No. 6,008,737 - "Apparatus for controlling utilization of software added to a portable communication device"

U.S. Patent No. 6,377,161 - "Method and apparatus in a wireless messaging system for facilitating an exchange of address information"




The new lawsuit was filed because Motorola's previous complaint, which was first filed in 2010, is too far along for new patents to be added. A trial in that case is scheduled to be held this summer.

"It's certainly not the same kind of aggressive escalation as a lawsuit over a new set of patents would have been, but this shows that Motorola continues to fight hard," Mueller wrote. "The fact that Google signs off on an additional lawsuit at this stage -- as opposed to waiting for its purchase of MMI to close -- also says something."

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #2 of 40
Motorola Mobility has filed a new U.S. lawsuit, presumably with approval from Google, against Apple, seeking an injunction against the newly released iPhone 4S as well as the iCloud service.

The latest complaint was filed by Motorola against Apple in the Southern District of Florida. It cites six patents that were previously used in complaints against older Apple hardware and services.

The complaint was likely authorized by Google, Forian Mueller of FOSS Patents noted on Wednesday, as Google's proposed takeover of Motorola Mobility gives the search giant control over such actions. The merger agreement between the two companies states that Motorola cannot "assert any Intellectual Property Right in any new Action" without the consent of Google.

The six patents named in Motorola's latest suit against Apple are:

U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987

U.S. Patent No. 5,754,119 - "Multiple pager status synchronization system and method"

U.S. Patent No. 5,958,006 - "Method and apparatus for communicating summarized data"

U.S. Patent No. 6,101,531 - "System for communicating user-selected criteria filter prepared at wireless client to communication server for filtering data transferred from host to said wireless client"

U.S. Patent No. 6,008,737 - "Apparatus for controlling utilization of software added to a portable communication device"

U.S. Patent No. 6,377,161 - "Method and apparatus in a wireless messaging system for facilitating an exchange of address information"




The new lawsuit was filed because Motorola's previous complaint, which was first filed in 2010, is too far along for new patents to be added. A trial in that case is scheduled to be held this summer.

"It's certainly not the same kind of aggressive escalation as a lawsuit over a new set of patents would have been, but this shows that Motorola continues to fight hard," Mueller wrote. "The fact that Google signs off on an additional lawsuit at this stage -- as opposed to waiting for its purchase of MMI to close -- also says something."
post #3 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Motorola Mobility has filed a new U.S. lawsuit, presumably with approval from Google, against Apple, seeking an injunction against the newly released iPhone 4S as well as the iCloud service....

My question is ... why even say "Motorola"?

This is Google.
post #4 of 40
(WARNING HUMOROUS CONTENT)
With a deeper Apple war chest and massive iOS uptake, Android plateauing or even *gasp* declining, Google is getting twitchy with the puppet strings - or perhaps the drones at 'Rola are trying desparately to please their new overlords.

Example the first: Larry Page & Andy Rubin: "Get us SanJay on the line!" SanJay:"This is Sanjay, what's up guys?" LP&AR:"Sanjay did you see the reports? We need to cut the legs out from under iOS immediately - line up your patents and commence firing" SanJay:"Right away dread lords! We shall prevail!"

Example the second: SanJay on phone to LP&AR: "See masters! We smote them with our mighty patents. Shall we smite them some more master? Please master?! We needs the Android Precious!"
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
post #5 of 40
Can we be sure that this isnt another Failrian where he is completely wrong?

http://phandroid.com/2012/01/25/gala...nlock-lawsuit/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

(WARNING HUMOROUS CONTENT)
With a deeper Apple war chest and massive iOS uptake, Android plateauing or even *gasp* declining, Google is getting twitchy with the puppet strings - or perhaps the drones at 'Rola are trying desparately to please their new overlords.

Example the first: Larry Page & Andy Rubin: "Get us SanJay on the line!" SanJay:"This is Sanjay, what's up guys?" LP&AR:"Sanjay did you see the reports? We need to cut the legs out from under iOS immediately - line up your patents and commence firing" SanJay:"Right away dread lords! We shall prevail!"

Example the second: SanJay on phone to LP&AR: "See masters! We smote them with our mighty patents. Shall we smite them some more master? Please master?! We needs the Android Precious!"

Didn't even raise a smirk. #notfunny
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The fact that Google signs off on an additional lawsuit at this stage -- as opposed to waiting for its purchase of MMI to close -- also says something."

Yes, it says Google is desperate, as confirmed by the upcoming changes to its privacy policy.

Q: To be evil or not to be evil?
A: Google is evil.
post #7 of 40
One seems to have been forgotten:-

U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987 on a "receiver having concealed external antenna"

So how come you can see the 'concealed' external antennas quite clearly on the iPhone 4S, {the metal bits between the black lines).
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

One seems to have been forgotten:-

U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987 on a "receiver having concealed external antenna"

So how come you can see the 'concealed' external antennas quite clearly on the iPhone 4S, {the metal bits between the black lines).

No one said Patent Attorneys don't hope Judges are technically stupid.
post #9 of 40
This may finally get Apple to sue Google directly.
post #10 of 40
Google's timing here fits for pr reasons ,but i hope that icloud does not have issues here as i get the feeling apple is only just getting going in this area and will be powerful tool long term with connecting people to there content.
post #11 of 40
It is my understanding their technology is the back of iCloud
post #12 of 40
Rest assured that at least some of that 96,000,000,000 dollars will buy IP portfolios, did someone say Kodak and most of the known IP related to photography, digital and other wise, in the known universe?
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcasey View Post

Google's timing here fits for pr reasons ,but i hope that icloud does not have issues here as i get the feeling apple is only just getting going in this area and will be powerful tool long term with connecting people to there content.

Google may have a large war chest, but Apple's is bigger.
post #14 of 40
I don't get it......Eric Schmidt insists that Android was started long before the iPhone......yet, when Android was released after the iPhone, it almost looked identical....how is that possible?? Apple should sue Schmidt directly for violation of his fiduciary duties while on Apple's board of directors....I think Google may have anticipated this and demoted Schmidt and made Larry the CEO. I think Apple should go for the throat and bring Schmidt to his knees.
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

I don't get it......Eric Schmidt insists that Android was started long before the iPhone......yet, when Android was released after the iPhone, it almost looked identical....how is that possible??

Android existed in 2005, he's right about that.

It looked like a ripoff of BlackBerry OS back then. After the iPhone was launched, they redesigned it as a ripoff of iPhone OS.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

My question is ... why even say "Motorola"?

This is Google.

No it isn't. Google has only offered to buy Google. No such sale has been completed much less approved yet. Google and Motorola are still two separate companies.
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

No it isn't. Google has only offered to buy Google. No such sale has been completed much less approved yet. Google and Motorola are still two separate companies.

Not exactly. Motorola signed an agreement that any action like this requires Googles permission
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

No it isn't. Google has only offered to buy Google.

I don't think they have the money for that.

Quote:
No such sale has been completed much less approved yet. Google and Motorola are still two separate companies.

Well, then the "presumably with approval from Google" line in the article needs to be explained more clearly or dropped entirely. If they have no legal relationship, there's no excuse for posting that.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #19 of 40
I'm reminded of the Dish Network / TIVO battle. It went on for years before Dish/TIVO reached an agreement, mainly Dish paying TIVO a bunch of money. No matter who is violating who's patents the results will be the same. Money will exchange hands and the world will continue to turn. No iOS or Android device is going to be permanently banned. Everybody will wind up cross licensing and paying each other royalties. That's what happened in the Apple vs Windows litigation years ago and it will happen here too. But it is fun to watch the various skirmishes.
post #20 of 40
Now they are slavishly copying Apple's patent troll strategy, have they no shame? This is an outrage how dare they do this. Apple is right and just when they sue, and no one should be allowed to do the same.

Next Motorola/Google will steal Apple's idea of having employees, offices, and products/services to sell people. The nerve of some people.
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't think they have the money for that.

I think they can get it for really cheap! Free even!
post #22 of 40
Multiple pager status synchronization system and method

This one will get thrown out almost immediately. Using the term "pager" is a universally known, one way (receive only) communication device.
post #23 of 40
apple is being sued without a stop. but google is also being sued without a stop. one of the main differences it that google is mostly being sued by governments. apple mainly by competitors.

apple has lots of money but google has less and the government has a printing press.

if google breaks 500, imo, they will open up a floodgate of selling and all of a sudden they will start watching some of their frivolous spending.
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, then the "presumably with approval from Google" line in the article needs to be explained more clearly or dropped entirely. If they have no legal relationship, there's no excuse for posting that.

Well, it's kind of like buying a house. After you've put in a bid you don't want the current owners making changes to the house without checking with you first. It's not your house, and may never be your house, but you still have a say in what they do to the house or else you have the right to withdraw your bid.

Filing potentially destructive lawsuits could materially change the offier Google has put on the table to purchase Motorola Mobility. So of course they should be consulted before filing the lawsuits.
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Multiple pager status synchronization system and method

This one will get thrown out almost immediately. Using the term "pager" is a universally known, one way (receive only) communication device.

Not sure which universe you are in that "pager" is a "universally known, one way (receive only) communication device", but you might want to try Googling "two way pager"...or wait, you had better Bing it instead. Google might be blocking that search in response to the lawsuit.
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post

Now they are slavishly copying Apple's patent troll strategy, have they no shame? This is an outrage how dare they do this. Apple is right and just when they sue, and no one should be allowed to do the same.

Next Motorola/Google will steal Apple's idea of having employees, offices, and products/services to sell people. The nerve of some people.

Somebody left the door open again...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

No it isn't. Google has only offered to buy Google. No such sale has been completed much less approved yet. Google and Motorola are still two separate companies.

Part of Google's offer is that they have to approve any legal actions Motorola starts since the takeover offer was made.

Such as in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't think they have the money for that.

Well, then the "presumably with approval from Google" line in the article needs to be explained more clearly or dropped entirely. If they have no legal relationship, there's no excuse for posting that.

They do have a legal agreement, Google approving Motorola's launching of legal action against competitors is part of the takeover offer Google and Motorola both agreed to.

Don't forget Motorola tipped Google's hand by threatening to sue other OEM's, Google wants the right to stop Motorola suing Samsung or HTC for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post

Now they are slavishly copying Apple's patent troll strategy, have they no shame? This is an outrage how dare they do this. Apple is right and just when they sue, and no one should be allowed to do the same.

Next Motorola/Google will steal Apple's idea of having employees, offices, and products/services to sell people. The nerve of some people.

Motorola sued Apple first.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Well, it's kind of like buying a house. After you've put in a bid you don't want the current owners making changes to the house without checking with you first. It's not your house, and may never be your house, but you still have a say in what they do to the house or else you have the right to withdraw your bid.

Filing potentially destructive lawsuits could materially change the offier Google has put on the table to purchase Motorola Mobility. So of course they should be consulted before filing the lawsuits.

Interesting, and a great analogy. Thanks for clearing that up.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

I don't get it......Eric Schmidt insists that Android was started long before the iPhone......yet, when Android was released after the iPhone, it almost looked identical....how is that possible?? Apple should sue Schmidt directly for violation of his fiduciary duties while on Apple's board of directors....I think Google may have anticipated this and demoted Schmidt and made Larry the CEO. I think Apple should go for the throat and bring Schmidt to his knees.

I own and use both iOS and Android. They DO NOT look or behave that much alike....
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

I don't get it......Eric Schmidt insists that Android was started long before the iPhone......yet, when Android was released after the iPhone, it almost looked identical....how is that possible?? Apple should sue Schmidt directly for violation of his fiduciary duties while on Apple's board of directors....I think Google may have anticipated this and demoted Schmidt and made Larry the CEO. I think Apple should go for the throat and bring Schmidt to his knees.

If you think Android 1.0 and iOS any version looked "almost identical" you need to have your eyes checked and perhaps even your brain examined.

Also the fact that Apple hasn't sued Schmidt...or even in his book Mr. Holds-his-tongue-for-no-one Jobs never said anything about Schmidt directly stealing says a lot about it not happening.
post #31 of 40
And so it begins.

2012: The end of the world as we know it.

In the beginning there was Blackberry.
Google copies Blackberry.
Google creates Android.
Apple creates iPhone.
Android copies iPhone.
Samsung copies Google by copying Apple.
Apple creates tablets.
Google copies Apple.

Again.

Google copies failure.
Samsung doesn't copy Google by copying Apple.
Amazon creates Kindle.
Kindle burns Google.
Samsung copies Amazon by creating Bada.
Bada, Kindle, and Google cross the streams.

The world ends.

Thanks for coming.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't think they have the money for that.



Well, then the "presumably with approval from Google" line in the article needs to be explained more clearly or dropped entirely. If they have no legal relationship, there's no excuse for posting that.

The legal relationship is Google has a contract to buy Motorola with a several billion dollar penalty if the deal does not go through. And the contract says Moto may not enter into a lawsuit without Google permission (the original intent was to keep Moto from suing the rest of the Android ecosystem for Moto patents). And yes these are known from publicly filed documents.


This is considered widely known information in the tech sphere. So it is entirely proper to refer to the specifics without repeatedly saying the same old news over and over every tie there is a Moto lawsuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Part of Google's offer is that they have to approve any legal actions Motorola starts since the takeover offer was made.

Far more than an offer, it's a contract for sale signed after the offer was accepted by both boards.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Yes, it says Google is desperate, as confirmed by the upcoming changes to its privacy policy.

Q: To be evil or not to be evil?
A: Google is evil.

"Privacy" policy?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


Also the fact that Apple hasn't sued Schmidt...or even in his book Mr. Holds-his-tongue-for-no-one Jobs never said anything about Schmidt directly stealing says a lot about it not happening.

I would bet "Mr. Holds-his-tongue-for-no-one Jobs" said many things to the biographer that did not make into his biography, including the possibility of negative comments about Schmidt.

I would not be surprised if Mr. Schmidt eventually is sued by Apple shareholders.
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

No it isn't. Google has only offered to buy Google. No such sale has been completed much less approved yet.

Right on. Nothing is more anti-competition than Google buying Google to become Duogle.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippysc View Post

I would bet "Mr. Holds-his-tongue-for-no-one Jobs" said many things to the biographer that did not make into his biography, including the possibility of negative comments about Schmidt.

Yes, let's use maybes as a basis for our thoughts. Despite reality contradicting that.

Quote:
I would not be surprised if Mr. Schmidt eventually is sued by Apple shareholders.

Not gonna happen
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Yes, it says Google is desperate, as confirmed by the upcoming changes to its privacy policy.

Q: To be evil or not to be evil?
A: Google is evil.

You mean the changes that were praised by the European Commissioner for Justice as moving towards meeting the new consumer protection laws in the EU.

Google had over 60 agreements, and information could be used across platforms since at least 2005 - the old agreements are on line - each and ever version from 2005 onwards. Go read them.

This new version simply merges all agreements into one short, easy to understand document.
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

If you think Android 1.0 and iOS any version looked "almost identical" you need to have your eyes checked and perhaps even your brain examined. ...

Well, yes, Android looks like a sort of cheesy cartoon version of iOS, like Windows XP and beyond look like cheesy cartoon versions of Mac OS.
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I own and use both iOS and Android. They DO NOT look or behave that much alike....

Yeah, the iOS developers haven't been able to implement that wonderful laggy scrolling that Android has, and missed a big opportunity with not including a back button.
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, the iOS developers haven't been able to implement that wonderful laggy scrolling that Android has, and missed a big opportunity with not including a back button.

Yeah, iOS developers really missed the boat on the multitasking and the drop down notification bar too. I'm still pissed that came into iOS, we don't need that android garbage.

Not to mention having voice navigation built in, or having the ability to change your launcher to look any way that you want, and definitely the ability to have screens with the absolute brightest colors and deepest blacks available on any display ever.

Android sucks....

Oh yeah, almost forgot the
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Motorola suit seeks injunction against Apple's iPhone 4S, iCloud