or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple maintains dominance of global tablet market with 58% share in Q4 2011

Apple maintains dominance of global tablet market with 58% share in Q4 2011 - Page 2

post #41 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Hilarious! You should post under one of those funny comment troll names like "Andy Ruby" or "Android Rubin" or something.

Forgot, having a different opinion = troll. Not sure if you looked at the chart above but the numbers support his claims??? Android gaining, Apple losing.
post #42 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_me View Post

wait how did apple lose 11% of market share

68-57 = 11
post #43 of 74
After the initial rush of extreme Apple cheerleading, the more level headed reports are finally coming in. I realized that some of you may never see the light, but remember that I tried to inform some of you with a more realistic outlook and forecast for iOS. It's dwindling and will continue to do so. It's just reality. You should jump into the Android runaway train while you can and profit handsomely in the end.

"Just like it did in the smartphone space, it might not be long before Android overtakes Apple in tablet market share."

http://www.vision2mobile.com/news/20...ew-mirror.aspx
post #44 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It would be interesting to know how many people bought/received a Fire but have now returned it to buy an iPad.

I honestly don't get why everyone thinks this is the case, especially looking at user reviews on amazon. I didn't buy my kindle fire expecting it to be an ipad, I bought my kindle fire because of my past experience with Amazon and their kindle lineup. It is a content consumption device, and a rather good one at that. Its great for books, watching movies, playing little games, etc. The iPad is a better product, yet I use the kindle fire more. The form factor just works better for my usage, and I have a lot of content purchased through amazon.

My usage is no way indicative of everyone else, but I was mainly using my ipad for web surfing and checking email. Its size was to unwieldy for everyday reading(my main purchases through amazon). The fire is easy to hold with one hand for extended periods. Neither are as good as my 3rd gen Kindle, but that isn't all that relevant. The kindle has more and more apps everyday, and a bunch of "free for prime users" content. I am willing to bet that most people who say "returned it and bought and ipad" have not used the fire since the 6.2 update that was released pretty earlier on, and expecially not the 6.2.1 update.

Basically, I hate this fanboy v fanboy nonsense in these forums. It is possible to like apple products yet use products from another manufacture. Right now, I have a gaming rig running W7, a macbook, multiple kindles including fire, an ipad, and GSII android phone and a few other miscellanous devices. Amazingly enough, they all seem to work well together. Just because its not made by apple doesn't make it trash.
post #45 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

I honestly don't get why everyone thinks this is the case, especially looking at user reviews on amazon. I didn't buy my kindle fire expecting it to be an ipad, I bought my kindle fire because of my past experience with Amazon and their kindle lineup. It is a content consumption device, and a rather good one at that. Its great for books, watching movies, playing little games, etc. The iPad is a better product, yet I use the kindle fire more. The form factor just works better for my usage, and I have a lot of content purchased through amazon.

My usage is no way indicative of everyone else, but I was mainly using my ipad for web surfing and checking email. Its size was to unwieldy for everyday reading(my main purchases through amazon). The fire is easy to hold with one hand for extended periods. Neither are as good as my 3rd gen Kindle, but that isn't all that relevant. The kindle has more and more apps everyday, and a bunch of "free for prime users" content. I am willing to bet that most people who say "returned it and bought and ipad" have not used the fire since the 6.2 update that was released pretty earlier on, and expecially not the 6.2.1 update.

Basically, I hate this fanboy v fanboy nonsense in these forums. It is possible to like apple products yet use products from another manufacture. Right now, I have a gaming rig running W7, a macbook, multiple kindles including fire, an ipad, and GSII android phone and a few other miscellanous devices. Amazingly enough, they all seem to work well together. Just because its not made by apple doesn't make it trash.

LOL!

You've read way way too much into my simple query.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #46 of 74
As I said many times before, we've an iPad market and then there's the 'rest of the tablet world' market. Apple owns 100% of the iPad market, and then other companies can fight for the rest, which is a 'race to the bottom' market with no margin whatsoever. So this article is totally meaningless.
post #47 of 74
Quote:

It would be interesting to know how many people bought/received a Fire but have now returned it to buy an iPad.

Right, would love to compare those numbers to all the people that returned their iPads and bought a Fire because they realized the iPad is awesome but not 2x the price awesome.
post #48 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Right, would love to compare those numbers to all the people that returned their iPads and bought a Fire because they realized the iPad is awesome but not 2x the price awesome.

Yes, that would be an interesting number as well.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #49 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

After the initial rush of extreme Apple cheerleading, the more level headed reports are finally coming in. I realized that some of you may never see the light, but remember that I tried to inform some of you with a more realistic outlook and forecast for iOS. It's dwindling and will continue to do so. It's just reality. You should jump into the Android runaway train while you can and profit handsomely in the end.

Runaway train
... perfect analogy for Android... soon to be a complete wreck.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #50 of 74
Quote:

LOL!

You've read way way too much into my simple query.

The problem is if you read much in these forums that is a question asked often even if there has not been a single report issued(that I have seen) that suggests this is the case.

It would be like if sony announcing they sold x number of PS3's and me asking "Well, I wonder how many of those were returned for Xbox 360's" with no report or signs indicating that this was a frequent occurance.
post #51 of 74
Quote:

The problem is if you read much in these forums that is an question asked often even there has not been a single report issued(that I have seen) that suggests this is the case.

It would be like if sony announcing they sold x number of PS3's and me asking "Well, I wonder how many of those were returned for Xbox 360's" with no report or signs indicating that this was a frequent occurance.

Hmmm... now you've got me wondering how many PS3s have been returned for Xbox 360s.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #52 of 74
Quote:

Hmmm... now you've got me wondering how many PS3s have been returned for Xbox 360s.

Sadly, the example only came to mind because I had a 1st gen PS3 with backward compatibilty and I won a slim in a raffle drawing at work. The slim was taken to the store and replaced with an xbox. Maybe using that as an example was not the best choice...
post #53 of 74
Quote:

Forgot, having a different opinion = troll. Not sure if you looked at the chart above but the numbers support his claims??? Android gaining, Apple losing.

Yes, let's compare hard Apple numbers to imaginary, made-up, best guess numbers from android Manufacturers and amazon. The analysts are always accurate.
post #54 of 74
Quote:

"Just like it did in the smartphone space, it might not be long before Android overtakes Apple in tablet market share."

http://www.vision2mobile.com/news/20...ew-mirror.aspx

Here's another quote from the report from Strategy Analytics (who would argue with a company that names itself that?)

"Android is so far proving relatively popular with tablet manufacturers despite nagging concerns about fragmentation of Androids operating system, user-interface and app store ecosystem."

Note: popular with manufacturers, nothing about users or buyers.

Quote:

Runaway train
... perfect analogy for Android... soon to be a complete wreck.

Soon to be a stock phrase around here: You should jump in the Android runaway train while you can . . .
post #55 of 74
Quote:

Sadly, the example only came to mind because I had a 1st gen PS3 with backward compatibilty and I won a slim in a raffle drawing at work. The slim was taken to the store and replaced with an xbox. Maybe using that as an example was not the best choice...

I've never had to return or exchange anything tech... I've always bought Apple products.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #56 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yes, let's compare hard Apple numbers to imaginary, made-up, best guess numbers from android Manufacturers and amazon. The analysts are always accurate.

Ironic, when the numbers favor Apple they are spot on, when they don't they are imaginary, made-up and best guess, glad that was cleared up.
post #57 of 74
Quote:

I've never had to return or exchange anything tech... I've always bought Apple products.

Your house must be boring. No TV's, Game Consoles, Printers ect......
post #58 of 74
Quote:

Ironic, when the numbers favor Apple they are spot on, when they don't they are imaginary, made-up and best guess, glad that was cleared up.

No, Apple released hard numbers that include shipments and channel inventory, the other numbers provided are based on analysts doing their best speculating as many of the OEMs don't release such hard numbers. Amazon doesn't even break out the Kindle Fire from the other Kindles.

Why do user surveys continue to show Apple with 70%+ market share? Because it doesn't include store shelves. Shelves are not users.
post #59 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Why do user surveys continue to show Apple with 70%+ market share?

Which survey's would those be? If you are going to reference something, you have to link to it. The thing with survey's is the audience.
post #60 of 74
[insult removed]
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #61 of 74
Quote:

In phones... who is profiting handsomely? Samsung is by far the biggest and most successful seller of Android phones. No doubt about that.

But HTC cut their earnings forecast... and Motorola and LG have had LOSSES for many consecutive quarters. Is that the runaway train to profit you're referring to?
post #62 of 74
More truthful reporting. Thank goodness you have someone like me that can give you balance information.

"IPad down to 58% of tablet sales as Android catches up"

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...s-android.html
post #63 of 74
Quote:

More truthful reporting. Thank goodness you have someone like me that can give you balance information.

And a huge portion of those Android OS numbers are from the profitless Kindle Fire and B&N Nook Color. Android is winning¡

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #64 of 74
Must have touched a nerve, when in doubt, personal attack.
post #65 of 74
Quote:

Balanced information? That article you linked has exactly the same data as this article... from some firm called Strategy Analytics.

I mean, seriously... you posted an article from the LA Times that is using the very same information as this Apple Insider post.

Why?
post #66 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yes, but have you noticed this:

- When the analysts forecast Apple results, they're always low. Look at how often Apple beats the analysts estimates by a wide margin (every quarter except possibly one in the past 3 years).

- When analysts predict how well the competition is going, they almost have absurdly high guesses.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #67 of 74
lol this site is always good for a laugh. Apple loses marketshare and people try and spin it positive. Same thing that happened to phones will happen to tablets: android will have the greatest marketshare. Apple will still have their niche, so chill
post #68 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

lol this site is always good for a laugh. Apple loses marketshare and people try and spin it positive. Same thing that happened to phones will happen to tablets: android will have the greatest marketshare. Apple will still have their niche, so chill

Well, when you can provide anything other than fairy tale number based on estimated shipments for Android, then come back.

There is a reason nobody other than Moto has released their actual sell through on Android devices. And that reason would be dismal to the affected shareholders.
post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

I listened to the AAPL earnings call, but didn't take notes. However, I believe the number listed for AAPL is actually shipped numbers rather than sold. Apple said that they shipped 15.43 million for the quarter, and drew down channel inventory by 200,000 units.

So they actually sold 15.6 million.

It is kind of funny. Apple sells more than they ship, but are reported as dropping share compared to other companies that shipped, but may not have sold.

Actually they say "Sold".

Here is a direct quote from the news release:

The Company sold 37.04 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 128 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 15.43 million iPads during the quarter, a 111 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 5.2 million Macs during the quarter, a 26 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 15.4 million iPods, a 21 percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter.

Sorry edited for a typo
post #70 of 74
Quote:

Lol no your just a troll.
post #71 of 74
Quote:

The problem is if you read much in these forums that is a question asked often even if there has not been a single report issued(that I have seen) that suggests this is the case.

Because the question was originally asked in Nov 2011; you apparently were not around to notice it. Informed people tend to look askance at such trite behaviour.

Cheers
post #72 of 74
Quote:

Nothing ironic about it. Apple numbers are always real 'sold' numbers while the others are guesstimates at best or sell-in numbers. If Android tablets are doing so well, why do the manufacturers only report sell-in numbers and never sell-thru numbers..
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
post #73 of 74
Quote:

When you grow up and learn the difference between sell-in and sell-thru numbers then 'maybe' you will understand.

added Hellacool to my ignote list.

post #74 of 74
Quote:

Your house must be boring. No TV's, Game Consoles, Printers ect......

Sure, they're watching tv shows on an Apple display hooked up to an Apple TV, while printing from a LaserWriter 300 (were built like tanks if you ask me, I had one for 10 years before I lost it to a lightning-storm induced power surge - fried a lot of electronics that day :,( ). As for a game console ... hey, there's always the Pippin. ;P
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple maintains dominance of global tablet market with 58% share in Q4 2011
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple maintains dominance of global tablet market with 58% share in Q4 2011