or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › More than 80% of smartphones activated at AT&T were Apple's iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

More than 80% of smartphones activated at AT&T were Apple's iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

(Back) When they offered the unlimited plan, it was inconceivable that people would be able to use more than about 4-5GB with serious OCD usage.



If that is his business, and he is using that much data... by what rights should everybody else be paying more to support him?! You should be able to get a 10GB contract rate with the carriers. In two years, they should be able to support a 40-50GB contract rate at a reasonable price. But, expecting "unlimited" to cover the 1st percentile and the 99th percentile equally and at the same rates is juvenile.

The only thing that's juvenile is trying to suggest you or anyone else can pass judgement on what is acceptable for an UNLIMITED data plan, just because you "don't see the need" for a particular level of usage.

Regardless, throttling at 2 GB is beyond inappropriate, and does even make sense given their current 10dollar-per-gigabyte plans.
post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You're out of your mind. They offered the unlimited plan. They didn't tell me how to use it, nor should they. And who are you to say 2 GB per month is reasonable and 6 or 8 is not? One of my lines is my brothers who works in videography and (shocker) uses his mobile phone and fast data connection, for all different aspects of his business.

If you actually use the device you're paying for, for more than just games and email, you'd know. There are dozens of powerful apps out there, that use a hefty amount of data to provide functionality and services. Ands that just for work. Normal things such as Netflix and Streamtome, and any other video streaming app will use up your 2 GB allowance in a day.

Your attitude is completely wrong, and so is AT&T.

And so is life. Anyone ever tell you life's not fair?

Dump the stupid unlimited plan which is causing you to get 1 less GB for the same money. Move on with your life. You'll find you're less angry all the time, though maybe having an enemy to hate in your wireless company helps you get through the day?
post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I don't think recycled would count as iPhone sales. They are customers to AT&T but surely not sales of the iPhone since they are recycled.

2) We know how many they sold and we know how many phones they activated, right? Do we know how many of them were smartphones? If we do I think there is enough data to determine how many were iPhones.

It has been reported that the activations number includes iPhones that were once on one account, but have been handed down to a family member and activated on another account. So that 3GS that was sold 2.5 years ago was activated once for you, once for your wife after a year, and now for your teenager. 3 activations, 1 sale. That's where the difference comes in.
post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You're out of your mind. They offered the unlimited plan. They didn't tell me how to use it, nor should they..

You sign papers agreeing to how you will use it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

It has been reported that the activations number includes iPhones that were once on one account, but have been handed down to a family member and activated on another account. So that 3GS that was sold 2.5 years ago was activated once for you, once for your wife after a year, and now for your teenager. 3 activations, 1 sale. That's where the difference comes in.

But iPhone activations are not defined as iPhone sales. Those are only activations.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The only thing that's juvenile is trying to suggest you or anyone else can pass judgement on what is acceptable for an UNLIMITED data plan, just because you "don't see the need" for a particular level of usage.

Regardless, throttling at 2 GB is beyond inappropriate, and does even make sense given their current 10dollar-per-gigabyte plans.

Stomp your feet all you want, but you're only hurting yourself. The fact is ATT included in the contract (the one you keep quoting), the right to refuse you service if you didn't use their network reasonably. Yep, that's lawyer speak for "we get to choose who we limit" and they chose the people who were using the vast majority of the network bandwidth.

Sorry. Go sign up for the 3GB and move on with your life. Nobody here feels sorry for you or your brother, because you two using 4 or 8 GB cause our service, which we pay for just like you pay for yours, to be worse. With you either off the network or paying for your usage, our experience gets better. Don't expect any tears for you here.
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I don't think recycled would count as iPhone sales. They are customers to AT&T but surely not sales of the iPhone since they are recycled.

2) We know how many they sold and we know how many phones they activated, right? Do we know how many of them were smartphones? If we do I think there is enough data to determine how many were iPhones.

Actually, I said "recycled users", not recycled phones:

Quote:
sales were to "recycled" customers (ie, upgraders).

I was trying to be funny, I'll try not to let it happen again.

So if I upgrade my iPhone and the old just becomes an iPod touch or a backup phone in a drawer, then ATT has sold an iPhone, but they haven't gained a cusomter nor have they gained an additional monthly service plan. (Ironically, it's an overall loss for them because they had to pay a subsidy to Apple to keep a customer they already had.)

So if most of ATTs iPhone sales were upgraders, they didn't gain all that many new iPhone customers. Whereas for Verizon, since no Verizon iPhone user was eligible for an upgrade yet, it's safe to say that nearly all of Verizon's iPhone sales are to new Verizon iPhone customers. Looking only at iPhone users on each network, it's entirely likely that Verizon gained more iPhone customers than ATT, eventhough ATT sold more iPhones.

Similarly to your point #2, even if you can figure out how many they activited, you have no idea how many the deactivated.

Eithe way, both ATT and Verizon had blockbuster iPhone sales last quarter.
post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I was trying to be funny, I'll try not to let it happen again.

Ah, I see now. When I make jokes is usually when I have to go back and reexplain my point.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But iPhone activations are not defined as iPhone sales. Those are only activations.

Aren't we just explaining why ATT activated so many more iPhones than they sold?
post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Aren't we just explaining why ATT activated so many more iPhones than they sold?

My query was about figuring out the number of recycled iPhone's AT&T activated that accounted for the 80%.smartphone saturation.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My query was about figuring out the number of recycled iPhone's AT&T activated that accounted for the 80%.smartphone saturation.

Ah, so the hard numbers behind it all. Well... i guess we don't have quite enough info to know that one, then. It's just not in anyone's competitive interests to give out that information.
post #52 of 63
This is getting ridiculous! AT&T will suffer the consequences of promoting Apple heavily and sidelining Android. This strategy may pay off in the short-term. AT&T needs to wake up and realize that they must jump 100% with Google/Android. Based on recent reports posted here on this very forum, iOS is in a steady decline. It's silly for AT&T to continue promoting Apple heavily in their stores.
post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Based on recent reports posted here on this very forum, iOS is in a steady decline. It's silly for AT&T to continue promoting Apple heavily in their stores.

What's ridiculous is you lying about iOS' position in the market. Higher installed base and quarterly marketshare than Android OS. But all that is pointless without profiting which is something no one comes close to. Google is still about $14 billion in the hole with Android which is why it gets so little coverage during their conference calls.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

This is getting ridiculous! AT&T will suffer the consequences of promoting Apple heavily and sidelining Android. This strategy may pay off in the short-term. AT&T needs to wake up and realize that they must jump 100% with Google/Android. Based on recent reports posted here on this very forum, iOS is in a steady decline. It's silly for AT&T to continue promoting Apple heavily in their stores.

You do realize that by ANY metric the most successful smart phone and tablet run iOS? Why in the HELL would AT&T stop promoting the best phone or mobile device on their network, iOS or not?
post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

This is getting ridiculous! AT&T will suffer the consequences of promoting Apple heavily and sidelining Android.

But I thought AT&T's current TV advertising touts Android.

Am I wrong? Am I not watching enough television?
post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

You do realize that by ANY metric the most successful smart phone and tablet run iOS? Why in the HELL would AT&T stop promoting the best phone or mobile device on their network, iOS or not?

There is a reason, just not the one slapppy thinks. While it may appear to use that a $199 iPhone and $199 non-iPhone are the same price the carriers are paying a lot more out-of-pocket per month for the iPhone than other devices. It's rumoured to be about $100 more. With AT&T selling 7.6 million iPhone that $760 million more they had to pay out of pocket than if they were selling the comparable non-iPhone device. Of course, they have to play ball because the other devices are less desirable but it's in their best interest to move the control away from the handset vendors (really just Apple) and back to them.

Now iPhones do tend to get reused on networks and without a drop in plan pricing in the US for bringing your own phone the carriers can recoup some of this loss. It's harder to recap on an Android phone this way than an iPhone as the resale values will clearly indicate.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

But I thought AT&T's current TV advertising touts Android.

Right. They're not allowed to talk about the iPhone at all. That's Apple's job.

Quote:
Am I wrong? Am I not watching enough television?

My current theory is that slapppy lives in North Korea and is one of the privileged few that is allowed to access websites other than the two owned by their government, allowing him to post here. However, his television experience is skewed toward things that the government finds appropriate. So you can't really go by his numbers (think Ministry of Truth) or his beliefs (Ministry of Love).

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is a reason, just not the one slapppy thinks. While it may appear to use that a $199 iPhone and $199 non-iPhone are the same price the carriers are paying a lot more out-of-pocket per month for the iPhone than other devices. It's rumoured to be about $100 more. With AT&T selling 7.6 million iPhone that $760 million more they had to pay out of pocket than if they were selling the comparable non-iPhone device. Of course, they have to play ball because the other devices are less desirable but it's in their best interest to move the control away from the handset vendors (really just Apple) and back to them.

Now iPhones do tend to get reused on networks and without a drop in plan pricing in the US for bringing your own phone the carriers can recoup some of this loss. It's harder to recap on an Android phone this way than an iPhone as the resale values will clearly indicate.

A better explanation, thank you SolipsismX.
post #59 of 63
Are you deliberately lying? Look at the transcript on seeking alpha for Verizon. VZ clearly states that they sold 4.3 million iPhones and 1.4 million 4g smartphones. iPhone's make up 70 percent (4.3 / (4.3 + 1.4). Not the 53 percent you cite.
post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

Are you deliberately lying? Look at the transcript on seeking alpha for Verizon. VZ clearly states that they sold 4.3 million iPhones and 1.4 million 4g smartphones. iPhone's make up 70 percent (4.3 / (4.3 + 1.4). Not the 53 percent you cite.

1) Who are you replying to?

2) Maybe when you answer question one this one will become clear: Why only count iPhone to '4G' smartphones on Verizon's network?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #61 of 63
Okay, 17.1 million smartphones sold by ATT and Verizon. 11.8 were iPhones and 5.3 were other brands. RIM must have sold some, so just guessing, 4.5 million Android phones???

In other news, iPhone just barely outsells Android in the US.

Sprint must have sold some iPhone, interesting to know how many they sold? How do you get 11.8m/4.5m to 44.9%/44.8% just using Sprint and T-Mobile??

These numbers must be putting the fear of god in Google. They are competing in a lot of markets which earn them little or no money. They spent 12 billion on a mobile company which keeps loosing money, and Apple is dwarfing Google in earnings.

At some point it isn't even a issue of who has better phones, eventually having a great brand is going to win the day. Google offers more choice, should I try to decide which of 1000 phones I want or should I just get an iPhone?
post #62 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

This is getting ridiculous! AT&T will suffer the consequences of promoting Apple heavily and sidelining Android. This strategy may pay off in the short-term. AT&T needs to wake up and realize that they must jump 100% with Google/Android. Based on recent reports posted here on this very forum, iOS is in a steady decline. It's silly for AT&T to continue promoting Apple heavily in their stores.

They'll rue the day, I tell you. Rue it! Ruuuuuue! .... Erm ... c'mon, start rue-ing already. :/

"Short-term" as in the last 5-ish years? That kind of "short-term"? And just out of curiosity, does "iOS is in a steady decline" mean selling more iOS devices than the year before, every year, since they started making them? Does that also mean outselling any other smartphone and/or tablet producer on Earth?

Slapppy, you so crazy! Put down that hooch child, it'll make ya' go blind - hell, it's already made you delusional.
post #63 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post

"Short-term" as in the last 5-ish years? That kind of "short-term"? And just out of curiosity, does "iOS is in a steady decline" mean selling more iOS devices than the year before, every year, since they started making them? Does that also mean outselling any other smartphone and/or tablet producer on Earth?

Slapppy, you so crazy! Put down that hooch child, it'll make ya' go blind - hell, it's already made you delusional.

So far, through 2011, Apple has sold more in each calendar year than they did when adding all previous years together and comparing. While that kid of growth isn't sustainable it's azazimg that has happened at all from one company with one new handset a year that apparently has bad, overpriced product that is only bought by iSheep despite the clearly superior Android OS being installed on hundreds of new models each year by dozens of dozens of vendors.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › More than 80% of smartphones activated at AT&T were Apple's iPhone