or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Problem Uploading
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Problem Uploading

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Anyone having a problem uploading spreadsheets to iCloud>iWork>numbers. I always get the message "problem uploading file" and have tried Excel and CSV formats. I've iploaded a small text file to the Pages section so it DOES accept uploads, not sure why it won't take my spreadsheets.
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfterka View Post

Anyone having a problem uploading spreadsheets to iCloud>iWork>numbers. I always get the message "problem uploading file" and have tried Excel and CSV formats. I've iploaded a small text file to the Pages section so it DOES accept uploads, not sure why it won't take my spreadsheets.

The only time I ran into that problem is when I uploaded a Excel file from a virtual machine. I run VBOX with XP installed, I need the Windows version of office sometimes because some of my company's Visual Basic stuff doesn't run properly on the OSX version of Office. Anyway I noticed that iCoud has a problem with Windows formatted Excel files sometimes. So I rename as a .txt file then upload it, after it's in the cloud I remove the .txt and just add .xls. Hope that helps. One more thing you can try is open up your terminal navigate to the file in question "cd /path to file/", then change permissions by typing "chmod 444 [filename]". I found that sometimes iCloud has a problem excepting certain file types with little permissions or when your home directory is encrypted. i.e. File Vault.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The only time I ran into that problem is when I uploaded a Excel file from a virtual machine. I run VBOX with XP installed, I need the Windows version of office sometimes because some of my company's Visual Basic stuff doesn't run properly on the OSX version of Office. Anyway I noticed that iCoud has a problem with Windows formatted Excel files sometimes. So I rename as a .txt file then upload it, after it's in the cloud I remove the .txt and just add .xls. Hope that helps. One more thing you can try is open up your terminal navigate to the file in question "cd /path to file/", then change permissions by typing "chmod 444 [filename]". I found that sometimes iCloud has a problem excepting certain file types with little permissions or when your home directory is encrypted. i.e. File Vault.


Thats a good idea - I had no problems uploading the .txt file - maybe that will work.
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Realistically, to upload to iWork in iCloud - be it spreadsheets or word docs, you really need to use Keynote/Pages/Numbers for iOS? I still seem to have trouble u/l M/S Excel to iWorks.
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfterka View Post

Realistically, to upload to iWork in iCloud - be it spreadsheets or word docs, you really need to use Keynote/Pages/Numbers for iOS? I still seem to have trouble u/l M/S Excel to iWorks.

To do it automatically, yes. And to do it automatically right now, yes.

Mountain Lion appears to add automatic uploads to the desktop versions.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iCloud
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Problem Uploading