or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Wisconsin uses Microsoft settlement funds to buy iPads for schools

Wisconsin uses Microsoft settlement funds to buy iPads for schools

post #1 of 64
The capital of Wisconsin is buying 600 iPads this spring and plans to buy another 800 this fall, all paid for using funds from the state's settlement with Microsoft related to consumer lawsuits claiming the company overcharged customers for its software.

Bill Smojver, Madison's director of technical services for the school district, told the Wisconsin State Journal that the tablets are cheaper, more portable and easier to use than conventional computers.

Smojver added that the new iPads will enable students to wirelessly share their work and enable schools to replace textbooks with digital apps or ebooks, referring to Apple's recent announcement related to iBooks 2, iBooks Author and digital textbooks as a "significant development."

District deputy superintendent Sue Abplanalp noted that Madison administrators had been impressed by the results of an iPad trial by Chicago Public Schools, which found the tablets were successful in keeping students more engaged in the classroom.

Wisconsin's iPads are being paid for through $3.4 million of the nearly $80 million settlement Microsoft agreed to pay the state to settle claims that it has systematically cheated consumers into paying too much for its software.

Schools can spend the money on any type of technology, ranging from iPads to conventional laptops to projectors and other upgrades. With educational discounts, the Madison district is paying $479 for each iPad.

While there's no public records as to what each school district in the state is buying, the report cited technology consultant Naomi Harm as noting that her firm has worked with over 50 Wisconsin school districts to implement iPad-based teaching efforts.

Microsoft faced antitrust actions in a 1998 suit brought by the US Department of Justice and 19 states for using its monopoly market position to harm competition (specifically related to its efforts to destroy Netscape and the open web, although Sun's Java, Apple's QuickTime and other technologies were used as additional evidence to push the case.)

A separate series of private class action lawsuits accused Microsoft of cheating end users with overpriced software. The company worked to win dismissals of the claims in a number of states, but ended up paying settlements in at least 17 states, although efforts to actually obtain the funds were complicated by filing rules.
post #2 of 64
LMFAO! I literally belted out a huge, roaring laugh upon reading that headline.
post #3 of 64
Ironic that MS settlement funds will be used to buy non-Windows hardware.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #4 of 64
Ouch! When it rains, it pours!

Ps. Normally, i try to avoid cliches "like the plague!"
post #5 of 64
Pure awesomeness! Lucky kids!
post #6 of 64
"Chicago Public Schools [...] found the tablets were successful in keeping students more engaged in the classroom. "

I think children that are misbehaving (such as not paying attention in class) should not be rewarded by giving them fancy tablets. That's what "more engaged" means right? It means they're not paying attention. Well it's just basic manners to pay attention to the teacher, whether you're interested in what he's saying or not.
post #7 of 64
Irony, thy name is Wisconsin.
post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The capital of Wisconsin is buying 600 iPads this spring and plans to buy another 800 this fall, all paid for using funds from the state's settlement with Microsoft related to consumer lawsuits claiming the company overcharged customers for its software. .

This just made my day! Talk about pouring salt in a wound. No wonder Gates continues to distance himself from majorcrap.
post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

LMFAO! I literally belted out a huge, roaring laugh upon reading that headline.

Well, they'd be crazy to put that settlement money back into Microsoft's pockets.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"Chicago Public Schools [...] found the tablets were successful in keeping students more engaged in the classroom. "

I think children that are misbehaving (such as not paying attention in class) should not be rewarded by giving them fancy tablets. That's what "more engaged" means right? It means they're not paying attention. Well it's just basic manners to pay attention to the teacher, whether you're interested in what he's saying or not.

Engaged doesn't mean the same thing as paying attention or not misbehaving.
Too often schools are treated like and viewed as joyless places where facts are pounded into a kids head. If you can get a child to be interested in and maybe enjoy learning they get much more out of it.
A child can be paying attention, not misbehaving and still not be engaged.
Education shouldn't be viewed the same as "getting the trains to run on time".
post #11 of 64
How ironic and fabulous!
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mac View Post

How ironic and fabulous!

'Course y'all realize that MS is payin' those fines with funds they collect from OEMs for each Android handset sold...

Let's see $10 per Android Handset x 48 == $480 == 1 MS fine Chit == 1 iPad

So every 48 Droid phones pays for an iPad for a Wisconsin High Schooler.

Thank you Android OEMs, Thank You Google, Thank You Microsoft, Thank You Wisconsin, Thank You Apple!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #13 of 64
dam this one way of saying F#*@ YOU Microsoft
post #14 of 64
Will they engrave them with "Donated by Microsoft"?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #15 of 64
Finally, someone agrees that Windows is overpriced. Hahahaha. I'm really getting a belly laugh out of the use of that money. All the iHaters are probably saying they could have gotten twice as many Windows netbooks or Android tablets for that money. The school picked the right choice of tablet. Another nail in Microsoft and Windows coffin. Bill Gates should have offered the school a special deal of free Windows 8 tablets whenever they come to be for sale.
post #16 of 64
Quote:

The capital of Wisconsin is buying 600 iPads this spring and plans to buy another 800 this fall, all paid for using funds from the state's settlement with Microsoft related to consumer lawsuits claiming the company overcharged customers for its software.

Phase 2 of Wisconsin Master Plan:

Sue Apple for overcharging for iPads, use funds to buy Jet Packs to ease school bus costs...

Besides, I thought the capital of Wisconsin was "W"...?
post #17 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Too often schools are treated like and viewed as joyless places where facts are pounded into a kids head. If you can get a child to be interested in and maybe enjoy learning they get much more out of it.

Well said. It's not enough any more to insist that kids "should" act or think a certain way in the classroom. They're growing up in a ubiquitously connected, digital world. Expecting them to learn in exactly the way kids in the early part of the 20th century learned makes no sense.

The pedagogical model as it is practiced in most US public schools literally derives from industrial processes, and originally was intended to provide trained workers for America's industrial economy. It's really not surprising that rote, top-down training isn't grabbing this generation's attention, and it isn't necessary to imagine it's because they're all ADD XBox addled idiots to see why.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #18 of 64
If you listen carefully, you can hear the sound of a chair being thrown in Redmond...
post #19 of 64
Quote:

A separate series of private lass action lawsuits accused Microsoft of cheating end users with overpriced software.

I can see the ads now, 15 episodes featuring a bunch of young female lawyers in leotards yelling at microsoft execs about cheating on their ex wives in private produced on windows 7 (sequences shortened for tv)
post #20 of 64
Why not Macs? They're great for education! Oh that's right. iBooks won't work on a MacBook cause Apple gave the Mac the iOS shutout.

Again.
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

A separate series of private lass action lawsuits accused Microsoft of cheating end users with overpriced software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFromOZ View Post

I can see the ads now, 15 episodes featuring a bunch of young female lawyers in leotards yelling at microsoft execs about cheating on their ex wives in private produced on windows 7 (sequences shortened for tv)

MisTypeAhead either dropped a "c" or added an "l"... your choice!

post #22 of 64
Talk about wasteful public spending.

"Bill Smojver, Madison's director of technical services for the school district, told the Wisconsin State Journal that the tablets are cheaper, more portable and easier to use than conventional computers."

This statement alone shows this guy is delusional.
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Why not Macs? They're great for education! Oh that's right. iBooks won't work on a MacBook cause Apple gave the Mac the iOS shutout.

Again.

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the lower price, lower cost of maintenance, increased portability, and ease of use of iOS at all.

Nope, it's JUST because iBooks can't be read on Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

Talk about wasteful public spending.

"Bill Smojver, Madison's director of technical services for the school district, told the Wisconsin State Journal that the tablets are cheaper, more portable and easier to use than conventional computers."

This statement alone shows this guy is delusional.

11" MacBook Air: $999
iPad: $499

HUH.

11" MacBook Air: 11.8x7.5x.55 and 2.4 lbs.
iPad: 9.5x7.1x.34 and 1.3 lbs.

HUH.

11" MacBook Air: OS X.
iPad: iOS.

HUH.

Totally delusional.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Again.

....Huh?

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #25 of 64
So let me get this straight...they got money from MS because MS locked people down and used their dominance to destroy competition, and are using that money for gear from a company that is proving to be far more draconian than MS when given a monopoly...Can you stream Apple TV shows to Google TV? Can you download that itunes purchased movie to your WP 7 phone for a trip?

Can third parties write apps for those platforms that use Apple content?

Can any non Apple devices play the Apple DRMed text book files? what about non DRMed output from the ibooks production tool (have they rolled their additions into some new fork of epub or something)?

even with all the pressure from MS, back in the day I could still load my PC with Linux or OS/2 or BeOS or anything else without a legal risk of jailbreak procedure to get at MY OWN DAMN GEAR, I could have used Netscape if I wanted to, and as I recall you could use IE on the Mac at the time of the original complained about action occurred...

If we have to have one evil monopolist, MS seems like a much more benevolent overload(s) than Apple.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #26 of 64
The intelligent choice would be Android powered devices. The future is with Android. It's growing at twice the rate of iOS. Choosing a platform that is steadily losing its foothold is a big mistake.
post #27 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

So let me get this straight...they got money from MS because MS locked people down and used their dominance to destroy competition, and are using that money for gear from a company that is proving to be far more draconian than MS when given a monopoly...Can you stream Apple TV shows to Google TV? Can you download that itunes purchased movie to your WP 7 phone for a trip?

Can any non Apple devices play the Apple DRMed text book files? what about non DRMed output from the ibooks production tool (have they rolled their additions into some new fork of epub or something)?

even with all the pressure from MS, back in the day I could still load my PC with Linux or OS/2 or BeOS or anything else without a legal risk of jailbreak procedure to get at MY OWN DAMN GEAR, I could have used Netscape if I wanted to, and as I recall you could use IE on the Mac at the time of the original complained about action occurred...

If we have to have one evil monopolist, MS seems like a much more benevolent overload(s) than Apple.

Tell that to any restaurants or cinemas about bringing and consuming your own foods while you're in there. Same thing. Get over it! Nobody forces you to use Apple products. Some people, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

The intelligent choice would be Android powered devices. The future is with Android. It's growing at twice the rate of iOS. Choosing a platform that is steadily losing its foothold is a big mistake.

Your name and address please. I'm going to hold to that statement for future chowder!
post #28 of 64
Quote:

god I dont even want to articulate whi I disagree, so heres the minimal view

1: google==big brother
2: No central management of android devices for organizations
3: different UI on dang near every device
4: way too many hands between software updates and users like manufacturers and carriers that want you to buy new devices, not get new functionality with free upgrades of firmware.
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Tell that to any restaurants or cinemas about bringing and consuming your own foods while you're in there. Same thing. Get over it! Nobody forces you to use Apple products. Some people, eh?

No one makes you go to the cinema, you are free to wait for DVD, HBO, PPV or whatever, and you are also free not to watch...you are not free to keep your kids out of public school (unless you send them to a super costly private school or home school them, many parents are not capable of either option) Also you are forcing the teachers to use the content production tool that locks their content down and stores it in a closed proprietary format that cant go to any other platform easily, if at all.

another thought, if I sneak in some goodies in my pocket or my girlfriends purse, the worst thing that the theater staff could do would be to throw us out. If you try to get your legally purchased apple content to work on a non Apple device, you may well be looking at a huge penalty from a DMCA violation and god knows what other copyright violations may be involved.
post #30 of 64
Quote:

On tablets?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 64
Well if that ain't a kick in the shorts! LOL!
post #32 of 64
Quote:

Also you are forcing the teachers to use the content production tool that locks their content down and stores it in a closed proprietary format that cant go to any other platform easily, if at all.

Stop pretending each teacher has to make his own textbooks. That's so far from the case, it's disregarded as an anomaly in equations involving infinite planes.

And everything else you could do uses easily-transferred formats.

Quote:
another thought, if I sneak in some goodies in my pocket or my girlfriends purse, the worst thing that the theater staff could do would be to throw us out. If you try to get your legally purchased apple content to work on a non Apple device, you may well be looking at a huge penalty from a DMCA violation and god knows what other copyright violations may be involved.

How do you expect to get iOS software to work on Android/WebOS/Bada/Windows Phone 7, anyway? And what makes you think that modifying someone else's app is legal?

post #33 of 64
Quote:

So let me get this straight...they got money from MS because MS locked people down and used their dominance to destroy competition, and are using that money for gear from a company that is proving to be far more draconian than MS when given a monopoly.

Apple isn't a monopoly in computer operating systems. MS wasn't penalized because they were a monopoly. They were penalized because they abused that monopoly in so many ways it's difficult to count.

Quote:

It's not Apple's content. Ask the copyright holders what you're allowed to do with their content.

Quote:
even with all the pressure from MS, back in the day I could still load my PC with Linux or OS/2 or BeOS or anything else without a legal risk of jailbreak procedure to get at MY OWN DAMN GEAR

The issue isn't YOUR OWN DAMNED GEAR (in your mother's basement), it's government owned computers. Your point is moot. Your whole argument is childish and absurd.
post #34 of 64
Hahahahahah! MS is garbage!!!!
post #35 of 64
Quote:

No one makes you go to the cinema, you are free to wait for DVD, HBO, PPV or whatever, and you are also free not to watch...you are not free to keep your kids out of public school (unless you send them to a super costly private school or home school them, many parents are not capable of either option) Also you are forcing the teachers to use the content production tool that locks their content down and stores it in a closed proprietary format that cant go to any other platform easily, if at all.

You can buy a book in the kindle store or nook store or through iBooks (if the publishers make it available) and then you can read it in the kindle, nook, or iBooks app on the iPad or on a Windows or Linux PC, a Mac, a nook, a kindle etc., and if it is a PDF format: in many other available apps. The OS has no bearing and we can hope that the other hardware manufacturers stay around, so we will continue to have choices on how to read anything.
What "Apple content" exactly are you referring to? Software? (i.e. Apps) What's new about the concept of buying a software for an OS platform and having to re-purchase the software when migrating platforms? Not really that big a deal, considering software gets outdated every few years and needs to be re-acquired.
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

But academics is all about sweating the details, crunching the numbers, being painstakingly objective, getting it right. It's not for everybody, and it's not a video game. I think the underlying problem of disengaged kids is society insisting that every child stay at school for X years, when not everyone it cut out for it.
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Change with the times or perish. The reality is the public education system hasn't changed much since its inception. Further, you can do more with an iPad than with a standard text.
post #38 of 64
I think iPad is useful in education in some cases but I'm definitely against them just buying hundreds of iPad because of 1 trial in another school district. It's irresponsible to buy so many iPads without doing your own trial and show the taxpayers the effectiveness first before burning this millions.
post #39 of 64
Quote:

The content belongs to the people who created it.

If you want to use it somewhere else ask THEM to provide it for where you want to use it.

Apple has nothing to do with it apart from providing tools for content providers to reach consumers.
post #40 of 64
Why do any of you reply to slappys comments? He obviously revels in being an iconoclast.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Wisconsin uses Microsoft settlement funds to buy iPads for schools
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Wisconsin uses Microsoft settlement funds to buy iPads for schools